2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

worst luck/thing that happened to you on the golf course ?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I broke a driver on a tee marker in a tournament one time as well. Just made a bad swing and let go of it at the top, landed on the hosel and snapped...but the unluckiest/stupidest thing that's ever happened was when I was doing course maintenance. We were putting in a drain in the middle of the fway about 125yds from the green, a group of ladies came through and were just short of us. We had carts and a loader all out in the middle just roped off so the 5 or 6 of us working just crouched down behind one of the carts to wait for them to hit. I notice it's kinda taking them a while to hit, so what does incredibly smart Me do? I pop my head up over the back of the cart to take a look, right as she made contact with a fway wood...popped me right in the eye, caught me on the eye socket just below the eye, got quite lucky really, but man did it hurt like hell! I had a nice big shiner for a few days and as you can imagine I was on the receiving end of quite a few jokes.

[quote name='Tortuga' timestamp='1345074471' post='5479402']
I broke a driver on a tee marker in a tournament one time as well. Just made a bad swing and let go of it at the top, landed on the hosel and snapped...but the unluckiest/stupidest thing that's ever happened was when I was doing course maintenance. We were putting in a drain in the middle of the fway about 125yds from the green, a group of ladies came through and were just short of us. We had carts and a loader all out in the middle just roped off so the 5 or 6 of us working just crouched down behind one of the carts to wait for them to hit. I notice it's kinda taking them a while to hit, so what does incredibly smart Me do? I pop my head up over the back of the cart to take a look, right as she made contact with a fway wood...popped me right in the eye, caught me on the eye socket just below the eye, got quite lucky really, but man did it hurt like hell! I had a nice big shiner for a few days and as you can imagine I was on the receiving end of quite a few jokes.
[/quote]

man, i know what it's like, getting hit by a golf ball will leave a mark, a painful one

Just yesterday. Played a course I haven't played in years. 300-yard downhill(starting at 200+ yards) hole with a pond crossing at what should be 260. I played a 5-wood off the tee. Somehow the ball wound up in the water. I'm guessing it just rolled and rolled and rolled because the max for me with that club is 220 if I smoke it. More like 210 consistently. But I guess 50 yards of roll downhill isn't out of the question. My bad.

Played it today and hit a 7 wood.....to one foot before the water. OK. Time for a 5 iron.

I was on the 13th tee of my club. As usual, I had to rip one, but this would turn out not to be a usual fart, but a fart with a little extra. Immediately skipped a few holes to get to the nearest porto john.

Titleist 915 9.5 with Blueboard 73x
Titleist 915F 13 with Blueboard 83x
Titleist 712MB 4-9
Vokey SM4 46,52, 60
Vokey SM5 56
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 33"

Playing a college tourney at Crooked Creek in London, KY. The 6th is a shortish (160 or so) par 3 that is VERY down-hill, probably 50+ feet, with OB right. I hit my tee shot (i'm a very high hitter) directly at the flag. Keep in mind I've never had a hole-in-one (sadly, still haven't a decade later). The ball literally lands on top of the flag and kicks dead right out of bounds. I proceed to make a 6 after re-teeing. I have no idea whether it would have been a hole-in-one or not, but what the hell is the likelihood of landing a ball on TOP of a flag stick?

Close-second: Stepping on a fire ant hill in the rough when I visited my parents in south FL last month. I know I should have been paying more attention, but it took those little f*ckers no more than 30 seconds to light me up. 30+ bites later, I know my lesson when playing golf in south FL.

Easy choice. I was on a golf course when a shard from the (unknown at this point) previously-ruptured L5 disc in my back embedded itself in the nerve bundle in my spine. That was a bad bad bad day.

I went to the doctor the next day to complain that it felt like somebody was sticking a nail in my knee. Then the doc said it wasn't my knee, and explained why I had been occasionally having a sore back over the previous 8 years or so. Surgery 2 months later...

Got shot at once, back in the bad old days. An AK-47 round makes quite a big hole in a golf bag!

Okay, I want to hear more of this story...

The course bordered what was, in those days, known as an "informal settlement", i.e. a squatter camp. The informal settlement contained a number of what, in those days, were known as "terrorists", i.e. armed, (somewhat) militarily-trained young men. Occasionally, mostly when drunk, they liked to take potshots at the golfers. There was one organized attack on a golf club (presumably as a bastion of white privilege) where grenades were thrown into the clubhouse bar after a Saturday competition and people were shot as they ran out. All byegones now.

Still a violent society though, sadly. This picture is from today, after the cops wasted a group of striking miners. Yesterday the miners had caught the cops off guard and hacked a few of them up into chunks, so no more Mr. Nice Guy. You'll notice it's not a racial issue anymore. Scarce resources etc. ...

17southafrica-articleLarge.jpg

I have, no less than 3 times, hit either a rope post or 150 marker (both less than 2 inches in diameter) square on with a drive, having it repelled 20 or more yards. I was out with a few women this morning and this happened to one of them on 3, except her shot ricochet 90 degrees to the left.

Gotta love golf!

I was attacked by a bird when i hit my ball under a tree. The bird got a few good pecks on me. I had my 3 iron in hand swinging at it to get it to go away. The bird finally left and i looked over and 3 guys on the green close to me where laughing so hard one fell on the ground.

Wasnt really bad luck or anything just a little embarrassing.

My father-in-law was informed that his oldest son was in a car accident on his way home from college. He passed away four hours later. He has since never stepped foot on that course. And just returned to golf this year. Accident was in May 2009.

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

Hit a bus window on an adjacent street. Cost $600.

Got 2 ribs broken from a golf ball.

Crashed a cart so bad that the whole thing was a right off and my buddy driving went to the hospital.

Hit a bird about 20 feet off the tee with a driver. Bird exploded and I felt terrible.

Let go of a club in my follow through and it landed in the river. Got caught in the current and we chased it for 50 yards before it went farther out past our reach

didn't set the safety brake properly and a cart ran down a hill and flipped almost killing another player.

I saw a goose break a buddies leg one day. He got too close to the goslings and the thing hyper extended his knee. Out for 6 months.

And finally, in club champs one year, I knocked a guy unconscious with my back swing on the first tee. 15 stitches right above his eye and a trip to the hospital. One less opponent to worry about....

I hit a beautiful approach into a par3 once...................the shot rained down right on top of the flag................bounced off of the top of the flagstick and into a bush over the green. I had to take a unplayable and made 5.

Funny sidenote:
I broke the wingnut that secures the flag in place. this was a course with sticks that are skinny at the ends and fat in the middle........when I hit my shot, and broke the nut.....the flag dropped to half staff.......LOL

One time in a high school tournament we were backed up the tee at a difficult par 3, and a kid in the group in front of mine flew his ball in the cup for what would have been a hole in one. But they had cut the cup too shallow and it hit the top of the back edge of the cup when it landed an it kicked the ball out of the cup, back off the front of the green, down the slope, and into the pond in front of the green. It was a terrible thing to see, his foursome on the tee and mine waiting by the tee all stood there speechless with our mouths hanging open. I have neve felt so bad for someone I was competing against in my entire life.

[quote name='isaacbm' timestamp='1345442485' post='5501766']

Crashed a cart so bad that the whole thing was a right off and my buddy driving went to the hospital.

Hit a bird about 20 feet off the tee with a driver. Bird exploded and I felt terrible.

Let go of a club in my follow through and it landed in the river. Got caught in the current and we chased it for 50 yards before it went farther out past our reach

didn't set the safety brake properly and a cart ran down a hill and flipped almost killing another player.

I saw a goose break a buddies leg one day. He got too close to the goslings and the thing hyper extended his knee. Out for 6 months.

And finally, in club champs one year, I knocked a guy unconscious with my back swing on the first tee. 15 stitches right above his eye and a trip to the hospital. One less opponent to worry about....
[/quote]

One or two of these stories, I understand. This many, it starts looking like a really weird pattern.

Really. Must be hard to find playing partners.

[quote name='jwrogers' timestamp='1345463898' post='5502182']

[/quote]

One or two of these stories, I understand. This many, it starts looking like a really weird pattern.
[/quote]

Was looking for a ball in some straw right off the left side of the fairway when I hear somebody yell "fore" real loudly and urgent-like. Too late to duck and cover and the ball smacked me right in the cheek, about an inch below my right eye. My buddy made sure I was alright, then got in the cart, hauled a** back to the tee box and gave this poor kid the chewing out of a lifetime. I actually felt bad for the kid at that point, even though he deserved it.

I killed a little bunny rabbit once with a shot. Poor thing was just minding his own business Felt so horrible about that I quit my round and went home.

[quote name='jwrogers' timestamp='1345463898' post='5502182']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, this is all over 32 years of playing golf. I've probably played about 6000 rounds so it might not be as bad as it sounds.... ok it's pretty bad!

[quote name='Kadin 25' timestamp='1345150535' post='5484590']
My father-in-law was informed that his oldest son was in a car accident on his way home from college. He passed away four hours later. He has since never stepped foot on that course. And just returned to golf this year. Accident was in May 2009.
[/quote]

That's pretty brutal.