2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

Best indoor putting green

Mschumacher

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually just got a birdie ball yesterday. So far I am very pleased with it. The ball rolls very true and the dual stimp option is great. I have been able to create nice breaks as well.

Now, it certainly is just foam, but the grain they are able to put on it is nice. The black end caps and the plastic ball stop are okay, but my kids did kick them off a couple of times. The cups work well as long as you leave the "pin" in. If not, the ball may go through the hole if it has some speed to it. The do supply some cup raisers (for lack of a better description) that go underneath and create a deeper hole, but also an incline, so I have not used them for that reason. Overall these things do not really bother me, but they could make this product even better by making some slight improvements.

So would I buy it again..yes I would. It is giving me exactly what I wanted, which is a place to continue to refine my putting at home. Will it last forever, probably not, but it does not seem overly fragile either. The complimentary size upgrade and the discount codes you can find make it a better deal, but I really bought it because it met all of my requirements. I have not been disappointed.

Honestly, I'm not sure why people spend so much money on small putting greens? I found a 6x9ft roll of green "outdoor carpet/rug" at Costco 2 years ago for $30. I then used a long ruler and sharp utility knife to cut it in half. Then I got an Eyeline Bullseye putting cup for $15. I can roll the thing out on hardwoods or a rug and it works great. Probably stimps anywhere from 8-10 depending on what floor I put it on. It is super easy to rollup and shove in the closet. Plus I don't freak out when the kids run all over it or use it as a car race track. I just run the vacuum over it when it gets dirty too.

[quote name='flaun' timestamp='1350516983' post='5808953']
Honestly, I'm not sure why people spend so much money on small putting greens? I found a 6x9ft roll of green "outdoor carpet/rug" at Costco 2 years ago for $30. I then used a long ruler and sharp utility knife to cut it in half. Then I got an Eyeline Bullseye putting cup for $15. I can roll the thing out on hardwoods or a rug and it works great. Probably stimps anywhere from 8-10 depending on what floor I put it on. It is super easy to rollup and shove in the closet. Plus I don't freak out when the kids run all over it or use it as a car race track. I just run the vacuum over it when it gets dirty too.
[/quote]
I think if you have hardwoods or concrete, it probably makes things a lot easier. If you've got a house full of carpet with pading, then it becomes a mess.

[quote name='Nonmem' timestamp='1350602633' post='5814017']
[quote name='Cartrydge ' timestamp='1350598814' post='5813765']
This looks interesting.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNaYTSf-vtk[/media]
[/quote]

Amazon has it: SKLZ® Vari-Break Putting Course, $92
[/quote]What type of surface should you use for these?Thanks,Gary

[quote name='gary3aces' timestamp='1350609374' post='5814561']
[quote name='Nonmem' timestamp='1350602633' post='5814017']
This looks interesting.

[/quote]

Amazon has it: SKLZ® Vari-Break Putting Course, $92
[/quote]What type of surface should you use for these?Thanks,Gary
[/quote]

Sorry never tried one. Was looking for the price myself and shared. Was following the advice in the putting practice post about 100 putt per day for 100 days. This will make 10000 putts. In photography they say the first 10000 pictures you took are the worst. I guess it holds true in putting as well. :)

As for surface, I assume all the indoor greens should work better on hard/flat surfaces?

This looks interesting.

[/quote]

interesting, wonder if the shims will raise it high enought to fit a Robocup. Looked at Birdie ball "foam" but it just looks goofy. Recently pulled the trigger on the Boomerang with Carnoustie mat (for $60) based on many positive reviews but no way to practice breaking putts on the 'BRang

I have a 3x9 birdie ball mat with stance Matt and I love it. Foam felt weird at first, but now I love it. The holes are really nice because the ball can really lip out, an I like that I can just throw a sock or something under the Mat to add break. I would reccomend To order the stance mat and bumpers with it, the stance Mat allows you to putt to both holes easier.

[quote name='Mschumacher' timestamp='1350672820' post='5817811']
So I went with the birdieball 4x9 and should be picking it up tomorrow. The reason I went with the birdieball is because I like the thicker green so I can put in carpet with no problems. Also ordered it with the extra layer too. I will give a review/pics when I get it.
[/quote]

Interested to hear your feedback. Mine would also have to go in a carpeted basement; so if birdieball mat holds up well on carpet I may go that route

So I purchased a 4X9 Birdieball green with the rubber finish and the extra sub-base. Running at 10-11 on the stimp meter. It cost a total of $180 including shipping which was super fast (ordered Monday came on Friday).

I bought it for my carpeted apartment so that is why I got the sub-base. But after laying it out, save your money because the one layer is plenty. With the sub-base I actually didn't like how it felt under my feet because it was too soft. IE My feet were sinking into the green. I took out the sub-base and rolled it into my closet :) With the one layer my feet still sink a little but just not as bad. Was planning to use my golf shoes on it to "simulate" my actual putting but I wouldn't recommend it. The spikes will definitely tear it up and with the foam being soft its not like standing on a real hard green.

Putting wise its great. Rolls really well (10-11 is pretty dang fast!) and its easy to add breaks with the extra inserts they give you. Its a real good product but would still prefer something a little firmer.

Burnaby-20121020-00393.jpg

So I purchased a 4X9 Birdieball green with the rubber finish and the extra sub-base. Running at 10-11 on the stimp meter. It cost a total of $180 including shipping which was super fast (ordered Monday came on Friday).

I bought it for my carpeted apartment so that is why I got the sub-base. But after laying it out, save your money because the one layer is plenty. With the sub-base I actually didn't like how it felt under my feet because it was too soft. IE My feet were sinking into the green. I took out the sub-base and rolled it into my closet :) With the one layer my feet still sink a little but just not as bad. Was planning to use my golf shoes on it to "simulate" my actual putting but I wouldn't recommend it. The spikes will definitely tear it up and with the foam being soft its not like standing on a real hard green.

Putting wise its great. Rolls really well (10-11 is pretty dang fast!) and its easy to add breaks with the extra inserts they give you. Its a real good product but would still prefer something a little firmer.

Burnaby-20121020-00393.jpg

Do you think it would feel a little firmer on a concrete floor?

With the 1 layer, does the ball drop into the hole well? It seems pretty good value to me for a pretty decent product. The shipping costs to the UK are reasonable for the 2' wide matts, but a lot more expensive for a 4'. Do you think the 2' would be wide enough?

Is there any point to having break like that? To me the hard part about break is reading it and this isn't going to help with that. To me the indoor putting green is about 2 things. Hitting the ball solidly and hitting it straight down the line. Speed (mainly because you never have a flat putt on a green) and break are things you work out on the practice green.

This looks interesting.

[/quote]

[quote name='Mschumacher' timestamp='1351189421' post='5845325']
It would definitely feel firmer on a concrete floor but your feet will still 'settle' in the foam.

So far I have found my firm putts will hit the back, hit the bottom of the cup and then bounce out. IMO a better base layer would be a 1/2"-1" of wood (or at least something solid).
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply.

Im thinking about getting one in my garage which has a concrete floor so it ought to be nice and firm underfoot. I might get the extra layer so the cup is deeper, which hopefully being on a concrete floor shouldnt be too soft. I can always take it out as you did. Might try making some kind of wooden base as you suggest

[quote name='jack1123' timestamp='1351195369' post='5845931']
It would definitely feel firmer on a concrete floor but your feet will still 'settle' in the foam.

So far I have found my firm putts will hit the back, hit the bottom of the cup and then bounce out. IMO a better base layer would be a 1/2"-1" of wood (or at least something solid).
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply.

Im thinking about getting one in my garage which has a concrete floor so it ought to be nice and firm underfoot. I might get the extra layer so the cup is deeper, which hopefully being on a concrete floor shouldnt be too soft. I can always take it out as you did. Might try making some kind of wooden base as you suggest
[/quote]
Jack

these are the best I have come across, vey solid base which come apart, and are very smooth, they quite often appear on eBay and go for much less that those advertised below.

http://www.huxleygolf.co.uk/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.product_details&flypage=huxley_golf_products.tpl&product_id=6&category_id=4

[/quote]

Thanks for the reply.

[/quote]
Don't get the base layer if you want it firm. I have one in the basement on concrete with the base layer and your feet will sink into it. I'm not fat, 5'5"/130# so take that for what it's worth.

If you want more details let me know. I got the 4x12 iirc, base layer and edges. Doing it again, definitely wouldnt get the base or edges. They are a waste.

[quote name='wundej' timestamp='1351366861' post='5855239']

[/quote]

Thanks for the reply.

[/quote]
Don't get the base layer if you want it firm. I have one in the basement on concrete with the base layer and your feet will sink into it. I'm not fat, 5'5"/130# so take that for what it's worth.

If you want more details let me know. I got the 4x12 iirc, base layer and edges. Doing it again, definitely wouldnt get the base or edges. They are a waste.
[/quote]

I'm probably best leaving it, at 6'2 and 195 Im thinking I'll probably sink quite far into it! How do you rate it as a putting green? Thanks

[quote name='MoaningM' timestamp='1351202059' post='5846399']

[/quote]

Thanks for the reply.

[/quote]
Jack

these are the best I have come across, vey solid base which come apart, and are very smooth, they quite often appear on eBay and go for much less that those advertised below.

[url="http://www.huxleygolf.co.uk/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.product_details&flypage=huxley_golf_products.tpl&product_id=6&category_id=4"]http://www.huxleygol...6&category_id=4[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks Moaning. I have looked at the Huxley matts, I've used them whenever i've been on a putting lab, however the new prices are more then Im looking to spend at the moment. I have seen them on ebay but they do seem to be few and far between. A used Huxley 9' would be ideal, I just think I might not be able to find one. Thanks Moaning

[quote name='jack1123' timestamp='1351378632' post='5855905'] [quote name='wundej' timestamp='1351366861' post='5855239'] [quote name='jack1123' timestamp='1351195369' post='5845931'] [quote name='Mschumacher' timestamp='1351189421' post='5845325'] It would definitely feel firmer on a concrete floor but your feet will still 'settle' in the foam. So far I have found my firm putts will hit the back, hit the bottom of the cup and then bounce out. IMO a better base layer would be a 1/2"-1" of wood (or at least something solid). [/quote] Thanks for the reply. Im thinking about getting one in my garage which has a concrete floor so it ought to be nice and firm underfoot. I might get the extra layer so the cup is deeper, which hopefully being on a concrete floor shouldnt be too soft. I can always take it out as you did. Might try making some kind of wooden base as you suggest [/quote] Don't get the base layer if you want it firm. I have one in the basement on concrete with the base layer and your feet will sink into it. I'm not fat, 5'5"/130# so take that for what it's worth. If you want more details let me know. I got the 4x12 iirc, base layer and edges. Doing it again, definitely wouldnt get the base or edges. They are a waste. [/quote] I'm probably best leaving it, at 6'2 and 195 Im thinking I'll probably sink quite far into it! How do you rate it as a putting green? Thanks [quote name='MoaningM' timestamp='1351202059' post='5846399'] [quote name='jack1123' timestamp='1351195369' post='5845931'] [quote name='Mschumacher' timestamp='1351189421' post='5845325'] It would definitely feel firmer on a concrete floor but your feet will still 'settle' in the foam. So far I have found my firm putts will hit the back, hit the bottom of the cup and then bounce out. IMO a better base layer would be a 1/2"-1" of wood (or at least something solid). [/quote] Thanks for the reply. Im thinking about getting one in my garage which has a concrete floor so it ought to be nice and firm underfoot. I might get the extra layer so the cup is deeper, which hopefully being on a concrete floor shouldnt be too soft. I can always take it out as you did. Might try making some kind of wooden base as you suggest [/quote] Jack these are the best I have come across, vey solid base which come apart, and are very smooth, they quite often appear on eBay and go for much less that those advertised below. [url="http://www.huxleygolf.co.uk/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.product_details&flypage=huxley_golf_products.tpl&product_id=6&category_id=4"]http://www.huxleygol...6&category_id=4[/url] [/quote] Thanks Moaning. I have looked at the Huxley matts, I've used them whenever i've been on a putting lab, however the new prices are more then Im looking to spend at the moment. I have seen them on ebay but they do seem to be few and far between. A used Huxley 9' would be ideal, I just think I might not be able to find one. Thanks Moaning [/quote] As a putting green it is fine, does what it says. I don't walk on it with shoes because I kinda feel like it could wear the material a bit more...maybe I'm just being anal. I kinda hoped that I could chip to it but I have a feeling that the backspin of some chips could also wear it a bit too much. I actually got the base layer so that it would be a bit more receptive and deaden chips on the concrete but that is useless. I may still use some foam balls which would be fine but it was a waste for me to get the sub layer. I'd also say the edging is useless. It isn't cut to fit the green you order, just one generic length. It doesn't really keep balls on the green and I guess it does help flatten it out, but that would only be an issue if you roll it up a lot (even then, I wouldn't want to put them on each time I take it out). I put some of these around the edges an they are excellent. Buy these instead of the edging if you don't care what it looks like http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0500174 I'd never consider covering a full room with this. There are carpet style options that would be much more durable and still roll true. There are discussions of them in this forum somewhere. I got a good deal on it so I didn't pay anywhere near their full price and got the free upgrades (which are always available) and the Birdiballs themselves are kinda cool. Would I buy again...maybe, but would probably go with something more like a carpet. Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Well folks I went "all in" for my winter putting setup in the basement. After cleaning up the kid area, here is my setup

1. Birdieball 4x14 putting green with Robocup in the center cup. I already had a Robocup from couple years ago so did not have to buy robocup+shim option from birdie ball. The two small shims I received with the package elevate the area just perfectly and Robocup works just fine. As for the birdieball green, it ok. Maybe am still getting used to it. I notice it the green tends to slip/move on my basement carpet, so will have to put a no slip pad or something underneath and give it another try

2. So right next to it I setup the Boomerang along with the putting arc.

:D

Small project ready just as the winter season rolls around.....Perfect me and the 8 year old to practice indoor putting for the next 6 months and see if I can break the boomerang record !

Next, maybe the "Netreturn" in the garage :partytime2: