'13 Callaway X Forged Iron Pics (updated 2/2/13 w/ more Pics)

GolfWRX

[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1363212055' post='6606609']
Harry

Where's the gap wedge. These are so long a 50 Vokey does not fill the gap. Maybe it's the shafts.
[/quote]

I hear tell it is coming soon. i will be ordering one as soon as it comes in.

I received mine yesterday (5-P) with the PXi though i haven't been to the range yet to hit them. Somehow want my first strike with them to be on natural turf.

I haven't been able to take my eyes off of them...they're gorgeous

Living in Chicago doesnt make matters easier.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Jackjv21' timestamp='1360542079' post='6402319']
Wooohoooo!!!! I ordered myself a set of these butes today!!!! 4-pw, PXI 6.5, Golf Pride Mult Dec dark green with the Callaway chevron!!!! They say that they are a few weeks from coming in because they are low on 4-5 irons. Anyone else heard of this?

I am so freakin happy!!!!! This will be the first set I've ever been fit for, and the first set I've owned that nobody has ever hit!!!! First new set ever!!!!

I want to thank all the guys that went on the Callaway trip!!!! Your pics, reviews, and golf talk was awesome to say the least!!!!!

And I want to thank Harry!!!! When you first came on here to talk Callaway, I told you what I was looking for, asked a few questions, and you replied with "hit all of our new clubs, I promise you will love them." Sure enough, I'm in love.

So now all I can think of is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

I know this is old, but I have to comment on this. It made me THAT happy.

Good for you dude! Seriously! It's wonderful to be so happy with equipment.
You made a wonderful choice. They are MONEY. Of course, I'm a Mizzy fan as always(In mad love with my mp-69s)

That ball gave the wind the FINGER!

There are quality clubs and you will not be disappointed with them. I have had my set for a around a month now and every game I play or every range session just cements in I made a great decision in buying these. They have all the right boxes ticked and they just feel great and flat out perform. These are a big step forward over the previous Razr x forged irons. If you are on the fence about getting these then get off it and get your backside shop side and try a set.

"Big" step forward? Can you describe how so? I'm currently with RAZR X Forged and lusted after these once I saw them, but chose to stick it out w/ the sticks I'm currently having fun with.

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

[quote name='rondre3000' timestamp='1363475772' post='6625837']
"Big" step forward? Can you describe how so? I'm currently with RAZR X Forged and lusted after these once I saw them, but chose to stick it out w/ the sticks I'm currently having fun with.
[/quote]

They are just better overall. The low lofted irons tend to fly a bit higher and the high lofted irons have a more stronger flight. I think they provide more feel and give a bit more forgiveness on shots not hit in the middle. For me they are a better balanced iron and have instilled a lot of confidence in the ability to hit a draw and a baby cut when needed. These tend to stop better on the greens as well. This could be down to the different flights in the irons as well. Try them you won't be disappointed .

Just ordered 3- pw yesterday, can't wait for them to show up...heading to the Pinehurst area in 2 weeks, will give them a work out. I actually returned a set of RBZ tours after about 3 weeks with them...for some reason KBS tours and me do not get along. I liked the tours heads, but can't wait to feel the xforged softness as everyone is describing. Grew up with forged blades and miss that all the time.
I had a tough time deciding between the callaways and the miz 64's....I'm more of a digger, so I thought the callaway sole would fit me better and you can't beat the stock PX Pxi's . Thanks everyone here for the great feedback on these!

You wont regret them. I have talked to a lot of great amateurs that have had them in the bag for a little bit and they are loving them. Higher flight on the long irons but typical piercing flight on the mid and short irons.

Still cant understand how these are so soft feeling being a cb. 1020? Emblem/carbon forged combo? the mass on the lower muscle? Whatever they did it works.

[quote name='easyyy' timestamp='1364153487' post='6679809']
You wont regret them. I have talked to a lot of great amateurs that have had them in the bag for a little bit and they are loving them. Higher flight on the long irons but typical piercing flight on the mid and short irons.

Still cant understand how these are so soft feeling being a cb. 1020? Emblem/carbon forged combo? the mass on the lower muscle? Whatever they did it works.
[/quote]

I have a friend that I play with that swings quite a bit slower, but loves the feel with the KBS Ctaper in the X Flex, which he doesn't need, but he would order them that way, due to just the way they feel!!! that says something.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='jimpsycho' timestamp='1363212531' post='6606665']
[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1363212055' post='6606609']
Harry

Where's the gap wedge. These are so long a 50 Vokey does not fill the gap. Maybe it's the shafts.
[/quote]

I hear tell it is coming soon. i will be ordering one as soon as it comes in.

I received mine yesterday (5-P) with the PXi though i haven't been to the range yet to hit them. Somehow want my first strike with them to be on natural turf.

I haven't been able to take my eyes off of them...they're gorgeous

Living in Chicago doesnt make matters easier.
[/quote]

is callaway going to come out with an a wedge for this set? i'll wait to order mine if they are

I don't want to beat a dead horse, as i don't think anyone has had anything bad to say about these, but I just got back from AZ and was able to get 4 rounds in with these and they are great. The feel and turf interaction is perfect. I was playing Ping s56 so I was expecting going from cast to forged there would be a big improvement in feel, but what surprised me was how well these go through the ground. I was a little scared about the bounce, since its more then other similar clubs, but they are awesome.

On little bit of a side note, I went to local club fitter/builder for these and I cannot recommend that enough, if you strike the ball well enough to play these clubs and you have not been through a good quality fitting your missing out. So it's not a true apples to apples comparison between the pings and x forged for me, because they have a different shaft and slightly different length, but the x forged launch better, feel better, and I can work the ball better then my pings. If your at all on the fence about these, as I was, I cannot recommend them enough, and if you really want to play better golf spend some extra cash and go yourself a real fitting. I'm in a shaft and flex I thought I'd never play and hitting it better then ever.

[quote name='sodbuster' timestamp='1364270650' post='6695609']
What shaft did you go with?
[/quote]

PXi, I never thought I would like a light weight shaft. I was thinking I'd go back to dynamic gold, after trying KBS tours in the pings, but the numbers and ball flight don't lie.

I live in Denver CO and we were playing in Chandler AZ, which is about 4000 ft lower in elevation, and i was hitting the x forged as far down there as the pings up here. As soon as the snow melts around here I wanna get out and see how they perform on the home courses.

Not sure how many people are still reading this thread, but some help would be appreciated. I've just purchased a PW and 8 iron online (ebay) in my eagerness to try these irons before pulling the trigger. However, the finish of the irons is different. The PW is all satin and looks really good, but I thought these irons were now chrome (....prefer the satin!). In fact the grip, sticker and head are different.

I have that dreaded sinking feeling that I've hit some early fakes.

I've just emailed Callaway, but has anyone else come across these clubs?

All help appreciated.

Cheers

[quote name='tigerw1' timestamp='1365119492' post='6763463']
Not sure how many people are still reading this thread, but some help would be appreciated. I've just purchased a PW and 8 iron online (ebay) in my eagerness to try these irons before pulling the trigger. However, the finish of the irons is different. The PW is all satin and looks really good, but I thought these irons were now chrome (....prefer the satin!). In fact the grip, sticker and head are different.

All help appreciated.

Cheers
[/quote]

Haven't come across any, but some pictures would certainly be helpful.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='Cali2fDrlr ' timestamp='1361914434' post='6508451']
anyone go from 2009 x forged to 2013 x forged? comparison?
[/quote]

I've only demoed the 2013 and game the '09s. My impressions are that the '09s are more forgiving. '09s look a little more "clunky" too. However, on clean strikes, the newer model feels like crisp butter! These irons are high powered. Once I grooved a swing with these, I couldn't get enough of the feeling of compression. As far as looks, to me the sole seems thinner and thus probably less bounce compared to the '09s? A slightly sharper leading edge than the '09s, looks to be a hybrid of the '07s and '09s as far as leading edge is concerned. I really like the stock PXi's; they make this beautiful forging feel that much better because of how smooth and soft they feel. Due to price though, I'd probably buy a set of PXi's and throw them in my '09s before I'd purchase the 2013s. My '09s still have plenty of juice in them.

Cobra King F9 Speedback 9PX EvenFlow White T-1100 6.5-X 75g

Cobra King F9 Speedback Baffler Tour 4-5 17.5GD Tour AD TP-8x

Cobra King RAD Speed 21*  UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 480 F5

Callaway '09 X-Forged 4-5i  PX Flighted 6.0

Titleist 910H 27Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 100
Cobra S3 Pro Forged CB/MB 6-PW  TT DG TI S400
Titleist Vokey Sm7 52/58*  TT DG S200
Bettinardi  '19 Queen B #6  35"

Titleist AVX/ProV1-V1x

Good to hear some feedback on these compared to '09s. I love my '09 X Forged irons, and I'm not sure I'd give 'em up easily. I tried both the RAZR X Forged and MB, and neither felt any better than the '09s. I might have to give these a go.

**Currently gaming the '09s with KBS C-Taper S+ (+1/4" from standard Callaway lengths) and love the ball flight, just wish I could get them to spin a touch less.

[quote name='jon91581' timestamp='1365258322' post='6773709']
Good to hear some feedback on these compared to '09s. I love my '09 X Forged irons, and I'm not sure I'd give 'em up easily. I tried both the RAZR X Forged and MB, and neither felt any better than the '09s. I might have to give these a go.

**Currently gaming the '09s with KBS C-Taper S+ (+1/4" from standard Callaway lengths) and love the ball flight, just wish I could get them to spin a touch less.
[/quote]

Yea, I love my x-forged. I couldn't see anything kicking them out of the bag except maybe this new line, but then again, that would be a while down the road. I'd really only want to game these if my ball striking was in mid-season form. As of right now, the extra forgiveness with the '09s is what I need and prefer. I don't know any characteristics as far as launch, ball flight, or shaping ability because I demoed the '13 @ golfer's warehouse into a wall with only the 6 iron. They are definitely worth a demo though, especially coming from the '09 set. The PXi's are a legit shaft too. Demoed with the 5.5s and play 6.0 flighted in my '09s.

Cobra King F9 Speedback 9PX EvenFlow White T-1100 6.5-X 75g

Cobra King F9 Speedback Baffler Tour 4-5 17.5GD Tour AD TP-8x

Cobra King RAD Speed 21*  UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 480 F5

Callaway '09 X-Forged 4-5i  PX Flighted 6.0

Titleist 910H 27Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 100
Cobra S3 Pro Forged CB/MB 6-PW  TT DG TI S400
Titleist Vokey Sm7 52/58*  TT DG S200
Bettinardi  '19 Queen B #6  35"

Titleist AVX/ProV1-V1x

All help appreciated.

Cheers
[/quote]

Unfortunately, I would agree with you about them being fakes...shaft bands, older authentic grips, shaft's in the clubs are alot of times the first indication of items that are not-so-real from the bay...seen it too many times in store when the guy brings in his great deal from the bay to change out the odd grip...and oooppss fake-ier!

Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

All help appreciated.

Cheers
[/quote]

Ugh, that's too bad fella.
If we have a ' eBay sellers to avoid' thread it would be great if you could add their seller ID there or at least add it here to warn other potential buyers.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Thank you for all the feedback to date and apologies for spoiling such a great thread! I have followed this thread from the start and been extremely impressed with both the Callaway offering this year and the input from Callaway themselves, including CallaWRX. Loved it.

I will post some pictures towards the back end of this week when I'm home and hopefully Callaway will get back to me also.

Masters week! Enjoy.

[quote name='tigerw1' timestamp='1365424351' post='6783807']
Thank you for all the feedback to date and apologies for spoiling such a great thread! I have followed this thread from the start and been extremely impressed with both the Callaway offering this year and the input from Callaway themselves, including CallaWRX. Loved it.

I will post some pictures towards the back end of this week when I'm home and hopefully Callaway will get back to me also.

Masters week! Enjoy.
[/quote]

Yeah dude, these are definitely a chrome finish. If you're seeing satin, you might want to file a report with eBay.

Ping G410 Plus 9* Driver w/ Graphite Design AD-DI7x

Ping G410 LST 14.5* 3 wood w/ Graphite Design AD-DI8x
Taylormade p790 UDI 2 iron w/ DG AMT x100
Mizuno JPX919 Tour 4-PW w/ PX 6.5
Vokey SM7 50/8, 55/9 & 60/8* w/ PX 6.0
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 33"

Titleist ProV1 (yellow)

• 2 weeks later...

I've never had the chance to hit the pxi shafts but I'm prob getting a set of these as soon as my store can get a left hand head dropped off for me to try. Reading these reviews I feel like I'm leaning towards the c tapers as opposed to the pxi due to the weight. I've usually played dgs300 but finally got swing more consistent and teacher has said prob move to an x100 was in future . I already play x in driver and 5 wood with good success I just had purchased my ap2s while swing was still inconsistent so went with s300. I'm really interested in the c taper and how you guys like the workability of these heads and c taper shafts even though I've read how straight they are. Also what difference do you see in the s+ flex and x flex in ctapers? Thanks for feedback guys

Got mine yesterday. Ordered from Callaway...took a total of 8 days :)

4-PW
+1/2"
KBS C-Taper S

This is my first "new" set as I've always gone used and now I can see why. I don't want to hit these, they are too pretty lol

Callaway Razr Fit 9.5 (AD DI 7S)
Callaway Razr Fit 15 (Diamana BB)
Callaway Razr X HL 21 (Diamana D+)
Callaway '13 X-Forged 4-PW (C-Taper)
Callaway Forged 52-56-60
SC Studio Select Newport 2

[quote name='bjno1300' timestamp='1366251967' post='6868947']
I've never had the chance to hit the pxi shafts but I'm prob getting a set of these as soon as my store can get a left hand head dropped off for me to try. Reading these reviews I feel like I'm leaning towards the c tapers as opposed to the pxi due to the weight. I've usually played dgs300 but finally got swing more consistent and teacher has said prob move to an x100 was in future . I already play x in driver and 5 wood with good success I just had purchased my ap2s while swing was still inconsistent so went with s300. I'm really interested in the c taper and how you guys like the workability of these heads and c taper shafts even though I've read how straight they are. Also what difference do you see in the s+ flex and x flex in ctapers? Thanks for feedback guys
[/quote]

To be honest...have S+ in the wedges and X flex SS 1x in the irons(have played the X straight in also), and outside of the 5 gram difference, with a decent load and higher swing speed...you won't notice much difference. I prefer the 130 gram weight in the normal irons, always have, cannot go light weight. the 125 S+ in the wedges is perfect, touch softer feel and can really feel it in the partial shots, which I like.

Working the ball is still very easy with the X Forged in Ctapers. I can still cut a ball at a high degree with the long/mid irons with no issue and draw one fairly easy(I cut the ball easier..just me). I think were you really notice the shaft is the mis-hits that do bend are not as severe for the mistakes. normal flight for me is a straight ball with a slight pull/push being the misses, virtually no curvature for me on normal shots.

hope that helps

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='Jericho' timestamp='1366292201' post='6870713']
Got mine yesterday. Ordered from Callaway...took a total of 8 days :)

4-PW
+1/2"
KBS C-Taper S

This is my first "new" set as I've always gone used and now I can see why. I don't want to hit these, they are too pretty lol
[/quote]

They are very pretty, more pretty in your hand as you POSE to watch another beautifully struck iron home in on the pin!! LOL!
once you hit them you will want to hit them more!!

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link