'13 Callaway X Forged Iron Pics (updated 2/2/13 w/ more Pics)

GolfWRX

[quote name='bjno1300' timestamp='1366299633' post='6871527']
Thanks for the reply St. Louis. Another question for ya. Do you feel like a strong loading of club is necessary for the c taper? I have pretty smooth transition but make a good move. Thanks again.
[/quote]

from doing fittings, IMHO, a standard PX shaft requires major load to kick and reward the user with a nice flighted ball flight. for the CTAPER, just hitting down a touch thru the ball, those small, shallow, divots are perfect to load this shaft easily, even in the X flex for me(92-94mph-6 iron) loads the shaft really well. not as difficult or swing dependent as the PX. and feels better than an X100.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just swapped out Ping I 20's for these and couldn't be more happier. I wasn't even looking to replace my Pings but wandered into Roger Dunn and was just browsing when I saw these. I've always been a cast guy but have always wanted to find a great looking forged iron that looked great that I could actually game. These new X forged irons from Callaway are that club for me; stunning to look at address and amazingly forgiving. I've gamed MP 59's for a couple of months, a similar looking club but way less forgiving IMO.

Maybe it's the PXI shaft, I went with the stiff 6.0 version 4-PW. The weight of the shaft hasn't been a problem for me, my driver swing speed is around 95 so the light shaft combined with this iron head feels great for me. Also, I'm 6'4" and have always played 1/2 inch over and between 1 and 2 degrees upright; with these irons already coming in 1/4" over in their stock version compared to other brands I decided to just go standard-standard and it seems to be working out well.

Just a great players iron that is VERY playable to a fair iron player like myself, couldn't be more happier that I made the switch.

[quote name='mjmihal' timestamp='1366305242' post='6872145']
I just swapped out Ping I 20's for these and couldn't be more happier. I wasn't even looking to replace my Pings but wandered into Roger Dunn and was just browsing when I saw these. I've always been a cast guy but have always wanted to find a great looking forged iron that looked great that I could actually game. These new X forged irons from Callaway are that club for me; stunning to look at address and amazingly forgiving. I've gamed MP 59's for a couple of months, a similar looking club but way less forgiving IMO.

Maybe it's the PXI shaft, I went with the stiff 6.0 version 4-PW. The weight of the shaft hasn't been a problem for me, my driver swing speed is around 95 so the light shaft combined with this iron head feels great for me. Also, I'm 6'4" and have always played 1/2 inch over and between 1 and 2 degrees upright; [b]with these irons already coming in 1/4" over in their stock version compared to other brands[/b] I decided to just go standard-standard and it seems to be working out well.

Just a great players iron that is VERY playable to a fair iron player like myself, couldn't be more happier that I made the switch.
[/quote]

But that's not the case, just a different way of doing a measurement. Some with a grip on, some with them off. Take a Titleist 712CB 5 iron and compare it directly to a Mizuno MP64 5 iron in the store. They'll be exactly the same length even though Mizuno's stated length is 37.75" while Titleist has 38.0". They won't be 1/4" off.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='JT41L5d3' timestamp='1366305678' post='6872191']
Has anyone compared these with the RAZR X forged??

Both look sweeeeeeeeet
[/quote]

No course comparison, but I have hit the '11 RXF in the store with a demo iron and they feel really good also, but feel like the X Forged are a bit softer and I like the top line and sole(bounce) better on the 2013's. Roger Cleveland noted in our meetings that the 2013 was more forgiving than the '11s also. Figure he might have an idea about that.

Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1366305894' post='6872217']
[quote name='JT41L5d3' timestamp='1366305678' post='6872191']
Has anyone compared these with the RAZR X forged??

Both look sweeeeeeeeet
[/quote]

No course comparison, but I have hit the '11 RXF in the store with a demo iron and they feel really good also, but feel like the X Forged are a bit softer and I like the top line and sole(bounce) better on the 2013's. Roger Cleveland noted in our meetings that the 2013 was more forgiving than the '11s also. Figure he might have an idea about that.
[/quote]

I agree. I played the RAZR forged for 3 months.

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1366305722' post='6872197']

Maybe it's the PXI shaft, I went with the stiff 6.0 version 4-PW. The weight of the shaft hasn't been a problem for me, my driver swing speed is around 95 so the light shaft combined with this iron head feels great for me. Also, I'm 6'4" and have always played 1/2 inch over and between 1 and 2 degrees upright; [b]with these irons already coming in 1/4" over in their stock version compared to other brands[/b] I decided to just go standard-standard and it seems to be working out well.

[/quote]

But that's not the case, just a different way of doing a measurement. Some with a grip on, some with them off. Take a Titleist 712CB 5 iron and compare it directly to a Mizuno MP64 5 iron in the store. They'll be exactly the same length even though Mizuno's stated length is 37.75" while Titleist has 38.0". They won't be 1/4" off.
[/quote]I was going off Ping's and Callaway's website specs comparing I 20's and X forged. The X forged specs are a 1/4 longer on every club but the PW. I had no idea companies have a different way of measuring the length of their clubs.

I just purchased the 2013 X forged 6.0 PXI last week and now have 2 rounds on them. I replaced the 2009 Razr X forged 6.0, which replaced the 2007 Razr X forged 6.0. To me, the new 2013 plays and feels similar to the Mizuno MP53, which I also used to own. In comparison to the earlier model X forged irons, I actually liked the 2007 model better than the 2009 model and I like the 2013 model MUCH better than both of those. A little smaller head IMO, but I seem to always hit the ball square. The flight seems to be a little flatter for me, which is good because I hit a high straight to fade ball.

Mine came in on Wednesday (4-PW, C-Taper) and took them to the range yesterday...OMG the softness. I'm coming from W/S Di11's (yeah I know, kind of a step up) and I can honestly say that the center hits were ridiculous. but the mishits were where they shined. I was pretty nervous to begin with as I was stepping up to a player's club but in all honesty these were pretty darn forgiving. Mishits with these felt identical as mishits on the Di11's. They even flew surprisingly far. I'd say my mishits still went 90% of the intended distance, which is acceptable. I was punished horribly when demoing the Nike Blades and thought these were in that caliber but not even close! Thin topline and quite easy to find the center of the face. I actually found myself laughing after hits because when I'd really crush one it was like nothing I've ever felt before. Even a few times I'd hit the ground (felt like a heavy hit) only to find the ball taking off like a rocket and straight as an arrow ...So soft that I never even felt the ball make contact with the club lol. Distance was obviously about a club shorter than my previous clubs but that was to be expected because of the Wilson's jacked up lofts.

I walked away not the least bit intimidated by these irons. They are obviously gorgeous and NOT NEARLY as hard to hit as you might expect from such a small club.

Timing was perfect to have these delivered as the wife is out of town this weekend...range sessions and rounds galore!

Callaway Razr Fit 9.5 (AD DI 7S)
Callaway Razr Fit 15 (Diamana BB)
Callaway Razr X HL 21 (Diamana D+)
Callaway '13 X-Forged 4-PW (C-Taper)
Callaway Forged 52-56-60
SC Studio Select Newport 2

[quote name='mjmihal' timestamp='1366328962' post='6874607']
[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1366305722' post='6872197']

[/quote]

[/quote]I was going off Ping's and Callaway's website specs comparing I 20's and X forged. The X forged specs are a 1/4 longer on every club but the PW. I had no idea companies have a different way of measuring the length of their clubs.
[/quote]
I didn't either until I read about people going back and forth on here, so I decided to go into a shop and pull a Mizuno club and a Titleist club. Specs on their sites say they're 1/4" different, while putting them next to each other showed me they were exactly the same. I was surprised as you would think something as simple as a raw length would be an 'industry' standard. I can understand why shaft flexes aren't always standardized, but the length of a club? One would think that would kind of important and easy to figure out. That's why whenever I order new irons (which hasn't been in a LONG time) I always specify I want them to play off a 37.75" 5 iron at playing length with a grip on. That should remove any possibility of them being off.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

[sup][size=3][size=5]I'm not a lefty but recently had a custom order from Callaway (+1/2", C-Taper S)...Ordered on a Monday or Tuesday (don't know exactly what day my contact ordered them) and they came in the following Wednesday. I was expecting 3-6 weeks and they came in just over a week. Obviously a lefty order may be different but I doubt its going to be SIGNIFICANTLY longer.[/size][/size][/sup]

Callaway Forged 52-56-60

[quote name='bjno1300' timestamp='1366591055' post='6889921']
Well I think I'm going to golfsmith Tuesday to order my set. Since I'm lefty they will have to be custom order. Gonna go with c-taper shafts in S+ rather than x soft stepped. Any lefties custom ordered that can give me an idea of time I will have to wait for them ?? Thanks
[/quote]

Special orders all go thru Callaway and at last look, didn't have S+ as an option. If you are liking the 130 gram weight, I would order the X flex SS 1or2x to get to the flex you would prefer...S can be hardstepped, but if the 120 gram is too light for you...I wouldn't suggest it.

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='gblack32' timestamp='1366647734' post='6893397']
The s+ is 6.7 fcm the x is 7.2 the x'ss is 6.9 the x'ssx2 is 6.6 the s'hs is 6.5 hope that helps explain ur options
[/quote]

bjno...here you go...this is right on. you will see a touch higher launch than the straight in X and a touch lower than the straight in S, but keep all the weight. hope this helps you out.

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='Jericho' timestamp='1366292201' post='6870713']
Got mine yesterday. Ordered from Callaway...took a total of 8 days :)

4-PW
+1/2"
KBS C-Taper S

This is my first "new" set as I've always gone used and now I can see why. I don't want to hit these, they are too pretty lol
[/quote]

How forgiving have you found these clubs on the course??

I am considering these clubs or the MP64's... i think these will give me a little more help than the MP64's

I am probably the worst person to ask because my swing has recently gone MIA lol. I was striking the ball better than ever, I ordered the sticks, started using my OLD set, screwed up my swing, new sticks arrived, hit them perfectly on the range initially, played one round and think I might have found the center of the face once, hit the range a second time with mixed results. I've really only played once and hit 2 buckets with them. When I was initally hitting them well they seemed very forgiving. My miss is not direction, I seem to hit flush and mishits straight.

Forgiving is subjective. I came from SGI sticks so you could hit those all over the face and get great results. Then there are blades that punish (and hurt) if you hit it anywhere but the center. My experience is that these irons have a forgiveness level closer to that of the GI irons. I hit an iron shot this weekend that felt 90% flushed (not perfect but still very solid) and when I looked at the face (first time EVER hitting this particular club..took the wrapper off on the teebox lol) there were dimples outside the grooves on the toe. Obviously a bad shot but it felt pretty good, went straight and was only punished by it going about 15 yards shorter than intended.

From what I've read, people claim these are more forgiving than the 64's but I've never hit them.

Callaway Forged 52-56-60

[quote name='Jericho' timestamp='1366738351' post='6901099']
I am probably the worst person to ask because my swing has recently gone MIA lol. I was striking the ball better than ever, I ordered the sticks, started using my OLD set, screwed up my swing, new sticks arrived, hit them perfectly on the range initially, played one round and think I might have found the center of the face once, hit the range a second time with mixed results. I've really only played once and hit 2 buckets with them. When I was initally hitting them well they seemed very forgiving. My miss is not direction, I seem to hit flush and mishits straight.

Forgiving is subjective. I came from SGI sticks so you could hit those all over the face and get great results. Then there are blades that punish (and hurt) if you hit it anywhere but the center. My experience is that these irons have a forgiveness level closer to that of the GI irons. I hit an iron shot this weekend that felt 90% flushed (not perfect but still very solid) and when I looked at the face (first time EVER hitting this particular club..took the wrapper off on the teebox lol) there were dimples outside the grooves on the toe. Obviously a bad shot but it felt pretty good, went straight and was only punished by it going about 15 yards shorter than intended.

From what I've read, people claim these are more forgiving than the 64's but I've never hit them.
[/quote]

The swing will come back i am sure... they sound like just the club i am after... the only other thing that may stop me is the high flight.. i play at a windy course and need to keep the ball low with a more penetrating flight.. but i guess i can get the shafts to suit.. i have arranged to hit both the MP64 and X Forge on Thursday so i can get a real comparison etc.. i will let everyone know what i think...

I played today and shot a 86 which is a 14 handicap... the SSS at the course is 73 so i guess that makes it a 13 handicap round... my coach was delighted... he was my playing partner... he shot a 74.

oh ... my actual handicap is 20.5 don't think it will be staying like that for long

[quote name='+Church' timestamp='1366745710' post='6901989']
Just got mine today!

[attachment=1649605:IMG_20130423_141058.jpg]
[/quote]

nice clubs..... i will have these or the MP's soon enough... :good:

Just got mine today!

[/quote]

God, those are so sexy. I'm play RXF's right now and just picked up a set of X Hot Pro's to mess around with, but I know what I'll wind up with at the end of the season.

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

[quote name='ESONEULB' timestamp='1366717687' post='6898867']

How forgiving have you found these clubs on the course??

I am considering these clubs or the MP64's... i think these will give me a little more help than the MP64's
[/quote]

From my own experience, which is only from testing both sets twice on demo days, but outside and on grass, I think you are correct, and it is a very noticeable difference in forgiveness, both on off-centre hits and on thin shots.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

[quote name='rondre3000' timestamp='1366753418' post='6903005']
Just got mine today!

[/quote]

God, those are so sexy. I'm play RXF's right now and just picked up a set of X Hot Pro's to mess around with, but I know what I'll wind up with at the end of the season.
[/quote]
You can't go wrong with these sticks!!

Great irons, they feel super nice. Great Endo forging, not too harsh. I would prefer a heavier shaft though, minimum of 120g....
-wayne

[b]Fairway Golf Online Store[/b] :golfer:
Website: [url="http://www.fairwaygolfusa.com"]http://www.fairwaygolfusa.com[/url]
Email: [email="[email protected]?subject=GolfWRX%20Inquiry"][email protected][/email]
Instagram:[url="https://instagram.com/fairwaygolfusa/"]https://instagram.com/fairwaygolfusa/[/url]
Phone: 1-619-702-1702

I find the MP-64's to be more forgiving.

WITB

Ping G430 Max 10K 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

TaylorMade P790 4 - 9 Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM10 46-10F, 50-08F, 54-10S, 60-12D

TaylorMade Spider Tour

Titleist Pro V1