TMAX review of ANSER VS. 913 D3...The two killer drivers of the fall

tmax77

[quote name='Vian' timestamp='1351965954' post='5886735']
[quote name='tmax77' timestamp='1351959367' post='5886401']
[quote name='Vian' timestamp='1351938856' post='5885729']
[quote name='tmax77' timestamp='1351864876' post='5881873']
[quote name='Vian' timestamp='1351857889' post='5881509']
Great read..
Been playing Blueboard 73 s for years & can't make up my mind between S+ 62 & 72...Just can't..for now..
[/quote]

What head have you been playing the Blueboard in? Would Start with the standard S+ 72 although you may need to tip it to get it quite right...
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply
Been using it in a 909D2 & a 9064ls, both in 9.5..
Was planning on the D3, same loft..
[/quote]
Were the shafts factory installed or after market? How is the trajectory in your 909 d2? guess you could always add a little loft in the D3 if you needed too...
I think you will really like the D3 it is an awesome driver.
[/quote]

From Titleist on the 909, x5ct on the Adams..feel the same to me.
Flat & medium on the 909, not lower with the Adams..
Will take the S+ 72 untipped i think
Can't wait to play it
[/quote]

Did a little more research for you I agree untipped you should love it....best part "No Upcharge...." :swoon:

Under construction....

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own and Anser with the Ahina 70X 9.5 loft and went to Golfsmith and compared my numbers to the 913d3 with various lofts, shafts, etc. I just wanted to compare the two because I love the traditional look of the Titleist clubs. I'm a plus 1 handicap and the Anser produced straighter, longer drives time and time again. Swing Speed 107, smash factor 155. It's really more fogiving too. When I hit the sweetspot, both drivers were solid with an edge in distance going to the Ping by about 8 yards. Also, the guys at Golfsmith told me that the Ping Shaft is the real deal while the Titleist shafts, "well, they are kind of a watered down version." Now, I'm a Titleist guy for years and 90% of my bag is Titleist. I want to love the 913 and remain committed, but for me, the Ping is a better driver with very low spin. I just wish Titleist would be a little more forthright and open in their shaft offerings confirming which shafts are the real deal and which are made for Titleist. I actually use the made for shafts in x flex in my 910f and 910H and like them a alot and they perform pretty well. For some reason, I want the real deal in the driver. Everyone is searching for this Titleist shaft answer and the guys at Golfsmith shouldn't be the ones telling me this information; the Titleist website should outline or disclose all of this and it doesn't. Disappointed. Play well everyone.

[quote name='c3wdd' timestamp='1352287621' post='5902379']
I own and Anser with the Ahina 70X 9.5 loft and went to Golfsmith and compared my numbers to the 913d3 with various lofts, shafts, etc. I just wanted to compare the two because I love the traditional look of the Titleist clubs. I'm a plus 1 handicap and the Anser produced straighter, longer drives time and time again. Swing Speed 107, smash factor 155. It's really more fogiving too. When I hit the sweetspot, both drivers were solid with an edge in distance going to the Ping by about 8 yards. Also, the guys at Golfsmith told me that the Ping Shaft is the real deal while the Titleist shafts, "well, they are kind of a watered down version." Now, I'm a Titleist guy for years and 90% of my bag is Titleist. I want to love the 913 and remain committed, but for me, the Ping is a better driver with very low spin. I just wish Titleist would be a little more forthright and open in their shaft offerings confirming which shafts are the real deal and which are made for Titleist. I actually use the made for shafts in x flex in my 910f and 910H and like them a alot and they perform pretty well. For some reason, I want the real deal in the driver. Everyone is searching for this Titleist shaft answer and the guys at Golfsmith shouldn't be the ones telling me this information; the Titleist website should outline or disclose all of this and it doesn't. Disappointed. Play well everyone.
[/quote]

Hi

So what shafts did you try in the 913?

TMAX !!!!!!!!!!!!! ... WHAT UP HOMIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually meant to post this earlier ... but everytime I sit down the geton the board all he!! brakes loose and I get freaking sidetracked.

SO .... For me ...

Bro ... A++++++++++++ review and quite frankly one of thebest I have read in a while. I LOVE a "seta-of-the-pants" / here's what I freaking think / ya know the brain is kinda tellin me this - review. WELL DONE !!!

I gotta be honest ... these "official staff" reviews - to me are getting to be just plain UNREADABLE. I am cannot stand these pre-packaged / plagerized from the official website verbage reviews. I dont & wont click on them anymore. At best I click look at the pics and at the first sign os a typed word of English - I close the thread and just to the OEM site for the rest. Very tired zzsoft.gif

Just curious if at this point if your brain is telling you a shaft that may really do it for ya in the PIng ... Pssssstttttt ... I know people ;). Pav is still full staff with them and he is KILLING Anser - and is also finding his spin rates are low with that head.

Atta Boy TMAX !! .... Good read !!!! CAZbravo.gifthbananamac.gif

[/quote]

The guys at Golfsmith are mistaken. The Diamana shafts in the 913 products are the real deal. Consider the source. :)

But I'm inthe same position as you - Love the Anser right now. Took me a while to not hate it - and it actually took me 3 heads of switching before I arrived at the one I'm gaming now. It sounds completely different that the other two - It's actually one of the best SOUNDING driver heads I've ever hit. The first two were obnoxious and quite loud - metallic KLANG. But I switched from 8.5 to 9.5, then back to a different 8.5 when tinkering - and by total accident obtained this head that sounds like a cross between the original Rapture V1 and a 905r. It's lovely. Guys actually bring it up it when I hit. And it's bone straight. So I'm in a good place.

2 weeks ago I was geeked about the 913D and was chomping at the bit to get ahold of one. I still may because I do hit it well. But not wanting to get rid of the anser I'm warming up to!

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[/quote]

Station 2 Station is 100% correct it is a real deal shaft with Titleist 913 heads...I doubled checked with my contacts at Mitsubishi....Not quite sure why Golfsmith would say that other than this is the first time that Titleist has done their whole line with legit shafts, sometimes offering both legit and made for....Plus I know that the reps always tried to play down the fact that they had made for shafts saying that it was the same thing...(not quite sure who they were trying to fool on that one, maybe trying to fool themselves into thinking it...) Also it can be certainly hit and miss with the guys that you find at Golf Galaxy and Golfsmith...I have certainly seen some that are awesome and even frequent this site and I have seen others that simply have no clue they are simply golf nuts

Under construction....

TMAX !!!!!!!!!!!!! ... WHAT UP HOMIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually meant to post this earlier ... but everytime I sit down the geton the board all he!! brakes loose and I get freaking sidetracked.

SO .... For me ...

Bro ... A++++++++++++ review and quite frankly one of thebest I have read in a while. I LOVE a "seta-of-the-pants" / here's what I freaking think / ya know the brain is kinda tellin me this - review. WELL DONE !!!

I gotta be honest ... these "official staff" reviews - to me are getting to be just plain UNREADABLE. I am cannot stand these pre-packaged / plagerized from the official website verbage reviews. I dont & wont click on them anymore. At best I click look at the pics and at the first sign os a typed word of English - I close the thread and just to the OEM site for the rest. Very tired zzsoft.gif

Just curious if at this point if your brain is telling you a shaft that may really do it for ya in the PIng ... Pssssstttttt ... I know people ;). Pav is still full staff with them and he is KILLING Anser - and is also finding his spin rates are low with that head.

Atta Boy TMAX !! .... Good read !!!! CAZbravo.gifthbananamac.gif

ROBOPTI, thank you very much, I am actually a huge fan of yours....I throughly enjoy reading your work, it is certainly not canned or marketing hype it is straight how you think the product is, in your honest words....that's what gave me the idea for this post....I wanted to do a post that wasn't about marketing or trying to sell one or the other just honestly (as close as I can) compare two awesome drivers....

As for the drivers...I actually played in an event last weekend it was the first time I had used the Anser driver on the course ($%^&ing work always getting in the way.) I loved the thing, it was 40 degrees and freeking freezing but I hit the driver awesome and could hit it both ways (cuts and draws.) now the driver wasn't to my ideal specs but considering the conditions I had choosen a specific setup knowing that it had rained for 8 straight days and was going to be brutally cold...The funny thing was I was really close to pulling the trigger on taking the Titleist 913 (demo) that I had hit so well but decided what the heck I want to like the Anser because it is stealth looking....I am certainly a huge believer now....

Under construction....

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1352301484' post='5902911']
[/quote]

The guys at Golfsmith are mistaken. The Diamana shafts in the 913 products are the real deal. Consider the source. :)

But I'm inthe same position as you - Love the Anser right now. Took me a while to not hate it - and it actually took me 3 heads of switching before I arrived at the one I'm gaming now. It sounds completely different that the other two - It's actually one of the best SOUNDING driver heads I've ever hit. The first two were obnoxious and quite loud - metallic KLANG. But I switched from 8.5 to 9.5, then back to a different 8.5 when tinkering - and by total accident obtained this head that sounds like a cross between the original Rapture V1 and a 905r. It's lovely. Guys actually bring it up it when I hit. And it's bone straight. So I'm in a good place.

2 weeks ago I was geeked about the 913D and was chomping at the bit to get ahold of one. I still may because I do hit it well. But not wanting to get rid of the anser I'm warming up to!
[/quote]

Agreed...I think the Anser is pretty spectacular it just might take a little bit more fine tunning..

Under construction....

I too have found that the Anser is pretty darn good. One of the first drivers I could work in both directions. I have been tinkering with both the 913 and the Anser. The Anser/Blur combo is working really well and seems to perform better than any 913 combo I have tried. I would love to go ahead and just get it now but I am being told by a good source that I absolutely need do wait for the G25. I love the looks of he Anser and I am liking the performance but on the other hand, it will be snowing soon so it makes complete sense to wait. That being said, making a rational decision using common sense is a good idea but not typcial for me when it comes to golf equipment. Probably going to wait to see the g25 but it will be hard.

Ping G430 MAX 10K 2024 Ventus Blue
Callaway Ai Smoke Max 2024 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 19deg hyb Blue Ventus HB

Ping G430 22 deg hyl Blue Ventus HB
Mizuno Pro 245 5-pw Axiom 105s
Mizuno S23 50-54-58 
LAB DF2.1 Broomstick

[quote name='joneser' timestamp='1352320006' post='5904247']
I too have found that the Anser is pretty darn good. One of the first drivers I could work in both directions. I have been tinkering with both the 913 and the Anser. The Anser/Blur combo is working really well and seems to perform better than any 913 combo I have tried. I would love to go ahead and just get it now but I am being told by a good source that I absolutely need do wait for the G25. I love the looks of he Anser and I am liking the performance but on the other hand, it will be snowing soon so it makes complete sense to wait. That being said, making a rational decision using common sense is a good idea but not typcial for me when it comes to golf equipment. Probably going to wait to see the g25 but it will be hard.
[/quote]

Want me to post your TrackMan data from all the new drivers? :superman:

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

Absolutely not! That does not tell me anything. I am officially the worst launch monitor performer on the planet. After putting up a crazy bad hour on trackman, went to the golf course and hit the ball great...with the same driver I hit on trackman. Woke up the next day and hit the ball great. Trackman numbers were not close to my on the course numbers either. Spent an hour with some drivers at windmill and got more out of hitting 5 balls off each tee then I did in 1 hour on trackman. I have never been able to understand why I don't make the same swing when being "monitored" but I don't. Its not like I am trying to hit bombs on the range, I just don't make the same swing. Those trackman numbers would tell you that I wouldn't break 90 but you know that is not the case so for me it was not a good experience.

Now, if you want to post numbers of the young ones repeatable swing to show the impact of iron shafts then I think that would tell a story. Me, I need to take the stuff out to the course and do a real world comparison.

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1352320492' post='5904299']
[/quote]

Want me to post your TrackMan data from all the new drivers? :superman:
[/quote]

Ping G430 MAX 10K 2024 Ventus Blue
Callaway Ai Smoke Max 2024 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 19deg hyb Blue Ventus HB

Ping G430 22 deg hyl Blue Ventus HB
Mizuno Pro 245 5-pw Axiom 105s
Mizuno S23 50-54-58 
LAB DF2.1 Broomstick

[/quote]

I'm hoping the G25, which is supposed to be adjustable, takes the Anser sleeve so I can use all of my shafts. I've got a 6.2 Tour Spec on the way (thanks JW for the advice) and can't wait.
I may actually pick up a 913 to toy with, but at this point I'm pretty sure the Anser offers everything I need in a driver. Low Spin, Feel, Looks, pretty good sound, and as much forgiveness as any driver I've ever played. Once you dial it in you start falling in love. :air_kiss:

PING G20 8.5 Di6-X
PING G25 15* 7.3TS
Adams VTS LSP 20* 8.8TS
Titleist 712U 23*
Bridgestone J40CB
Fourteen RM12 51* 55* 59* S400

[quote name='tmax77' timestamp='1352340573' post='5905901']
I am pretty sure the sleeve is going to be the same....ping is still pretty hush, hush on the details of the clubs...yeah the driver with the right setup is downright perfect...
[/quote]

That would be AWESOME! With an Ahina, Blur, Tour Spec and Blue Bullet in the stable I think I'm pretty much set. Can't wait to grab a G25 head!

PING G20 8.5 Di6-X
PING G25 15* 7.3TS
Adams VTS LSP 20* 8.8TS
Titleist 712U 23*
Bridgestone J40CB
Fourteen RM12 51* 55* 59* S400

You guys are killing me. My 913 D3 will be here tomorrow. I did like it, mostly the looks, but it was spinning just a tad more than I like, mostly hanging around 2800-3100ish. Now I am second guessing if I should have tested an Anser. I was using the 7.5 D3. My spin came down some when I went to the C1 setting, 6.75 degrees. Then I was averaging 2600-2700ish, but I am afraid of playing really low loft. Maybe I just need to leave my purse in the cart and quit playing in high heels and go ahead and take the loft down and just hit it.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[i]Driver ho that I am I will get both the 913 D2 and D3. I have tested various ANSER setups, and actually got amazing results with a 12 degree at the minus setting and the RIP PHENOM S flex. THe ANSER Head is low spin enough to go with a higher loft. I was hitting mid high flat bombs with a perfect angle of descent and fabulous rollout on normal fairways. The standout was.... the best hits in 48 degree temps (no wind factor) matched my best 80 degree plus summer hits. I did add 2 GOLFWORKS swingweight pads cut into 4 pieces on the back of the ANSER. Helps with both the feel and sound of the ANSER.[/i]

[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1352751128' post='5923655']
So far for me the Anser is winning. Is the s+ more butt stiff?
[/quote]

Supposed to be balanced on both ends providing better "feel." Haven't had a chance to try it yet....been loving my "boring" Anser...it is not flashy at least not yet but been using the Tfc 800 and for me getting really good results...

Under construction....

I was fitted for the Anser when it first came out and just couldn't get the numbers where they needed to be to beat the RBZ out of the bag. Best I could do with 9.5 and Ahina was 11.7 and 2580. When the RBZ is in the same 10.5-11.7 range and 2158 -2260, hard to want to switch.

The 913D3 put up comparable numbers as the RBZ just easier to launch.

The Anser is a great looking driver, after playing a G20 for a stint, wanted it to be the driver but just didn't work for me. No doubt it is one of the best ping offerings they have had so far. Gonna be interesting to see what the G25 brings. Interesting on tour, the few non-ping staffers that play a Ping driver are playing the G20 but a vast majority of the ping staffers are all playing the Anser driver.

[quote name='tmax77' timestamp='1352310855' post='5903611']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Agreed...I think the Anser is pretty spectacular it just might take a little bit more fine tunning..
[/quote]

I must be missing the boat, but to me the Anser just feels a bit dead. I just seem to be getting better numbers from the 913 with the D+. I am starting to think that I am the only one.

Driver. RBZ Tour TP 9 Kaili 70x
Three Wood: RBZ Tour TP 14.5 RIP Beta 70
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 19 Kuro Kage
Irons: TaylorMade 2014 CB 4,5, MC 6-PW
Putter: Odyssey Protype Black #9
Wedges: Vokey 53/10 and 59/7

[quote name='PingDrv00' timestamp='1353012316' post='5939647']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I must be missing the boat, but to me the Anser just feels a bit dead. I just seem to be getting better numbers from the 913 with the D+. I am starting to think that I am the only one.
[/quote]

I am with you brother, I get way better numbers with the 913D3 than the Anser. Love the 913D3, as close to the 909D3 as I have seen but adjustable! My dream driver!

I tried the anser as well, I did not like it, much shorter than my 910D2, and I thought it felt dead as well.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

[quote name='PrO_D_BoMbEr' timestamp='1353014338' post='5939755']
[quote name='PingDrv00' timestamp='1353012316' post='5939647']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I am with you brother, I get way better numbers with the 913D3 than the Anser. Love the 913D3, as close to the 909D3 as I have seen but adjustable! My dream driver!
[/quote]

Glad you are loving the 913D3 it is a sweet driver...

Under construction....

[quote name='tmax77' timestamp='1353025596' post='5940613']
[quote name='minteq' timestamp='1353018159' post='5940023']
I tried the anser as well, I did not like it, much shorter than my 910D2, and I thought it felt dead as well.
[/quote]

What shafts did you try in the Anser? What shaft do you have in your 910 D2? Just curious...
[/quote]

I tried the Blur and the Ahina. I have the Rip60 in my D2.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X