2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

It's official: USGA, R&A propose anchor ban

zakkozuchowski

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1354251311' post='5998599']
[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1354250584' post='5998557']
[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1354243375' post='5998129']
[quote name='Awsi Dooger' timestamp='1354242394' post='5998053']
Carl Pettersson uses the long putter, not the belly putter.

A mistake like that, yet I'm supposed to believe the ban crowd has actually studied this thing, as opposed to emotional convenient conclusions...

Adam Scott anchors the butt of the grip high on his chest. His left thump may be anchored also, although it's difficult to tell. His forearm is not anchored.
[/quote]

Dear everyone. I rescind my call for the banning of the anchored stroke. I have contacted Mike Davis and explained that because i believed Carl used a belly and not a long, all of the advice i offered him on making this decision is now null and void. He said, and I quote "OH, Ok then nevermind,. Shew! Man it's a good thing we put that 3 month window thing in there huh? You wanna play Madden on Playstation later?......"
[/quote]
Dear Kymar,
Whew! I'm sure glad that's over. I had no idea you were so skilled in the fine art of influence peddling. Perhaps, if I pm you with my bosses phone number( there are some guys on here I don't think I'd trust having that....) You could get me that huge raise I deserve? And maybe mention the Christmas bonus while you're at it?
I would be forever in your debt.
Thanks a millon in advance,
your best friend,

Warren
[/quote]

raises and Christmas bonuses? For you? Look man I realize It may seem like it, ya know because I have power to end this whole anchored putter ban nonsense. But honestly, I don't think even I can make that happen. BUT! I have good news I know a guy who can help, I will send him your way!

[attachment=1436223:ed.jpg]
[/quote]
sigh, thanks for nuthin'

Your ex best friend,

Warren

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I send the R&A an invoice for $569NZ for my putter they intend to make obsolete?
I realise they have not banned the [i]the equipment[/i] but it is like saying you can use a 500cc driver but you cannot use the face to strike the ball.

I guess I'm one of the few that will be genuinely affected by this. I'm 31, otherwise healthy but have had the spiy for 5 years. Used a belly putter for the last 3 or so years and am back to my normal handicap (3). I simply cannot putt with a normal length putter. I cannot do it. I can kick a soccer ball or throw a cricket ball, but have never ever experienced anything like the spiy. It is one of those things that make you want to slap someone who hasn't had them for telling you how to fix it.

I cannot fathom how the likes of Rory or Tiger's opinion has any more validity than those who are members of clubs all over the world. I realise that perhaps in the US there are plenty of green fee players who do whatever they want. But every single round I play is 18 holes and played to the rules. No gimmies, no mulligans, you lose a ball then hit a provisional or go for a hike. So there's no way I'm going to use an illegal club or technique.

To those outraged by the way it looks? Well I think I will adopt the Kuchar style shortly, feels ok, though I will probably not use either of my belly putters as they are too long at 44". And I think this looks more kooky than Adam Scott's chicken wing broomstick,

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1354239676' post='5997859']
Now, serious question. I can't visualize Adam's motion, is is top hand or forearm in violation of this rule? It seems to me that he would have a much easier time adjusting his hands away from his body and making his current putter work for him than Carl Pederson will have getting rid of the belly. (the putter I mean, not the few extra LB's)
[/quote]
He might be in breach of pretty much every part... ;)

Carl's arms might not be long enough to make a legal stroke possible! :swoon:

Taylormade M1 440 - Tensei CK Pro Orange TX
Adams VST Hybrid (19) - GD AD-DI X
Tour Edge Exotics CB4 (4 wood) - GD AD-DI X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (5-PW) KBS S-Taper S
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (4) KBS S-Taper S
Taylormade Milled Grind (52 & 58, SB) - Nippon Modus 130 S
Taylormade Spider Tour (red) / Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport
Titleist Pro V1
Feeling sad and neglected: Taylormade P750 (4-PW) / Srixon 765 (4-PW) - Nippon Modus 3 130 S

[quote name='502 to Right' timestamp='1354255561' post='5998793']
Does anyone know if there is a fund to donate to that will sue the USGA and R&A over this? I'd gladly donate up to $10,000 to shove this decision up Davis' and Dawsons' rear ends.
[/quote]
Yep, send it over to me. I'll let you know when there is enough to progress matters. :)

Taylormade M1 440 - Tensei CK Pro Orange TX
Adams VST Hybrid (19) - GD AD-DI X
Tour Edge Exotics CB4 (4 wood) - GD AD-DI X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (5-PW) KBS S-Taper S
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (4) KBS S-Taper S
Taylormade Milled Grind (52 & 58, SB) - Nippon Modus 130 S
Taylormade Spider Tour (red) / Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport
Titleist Pro V1
Feeling sad and neglected: Taylormade P750 (4-PW) / Srixon 765 (4-PW) - Nippon Modus 3 130 S

One problem though now is the misconception of the stroke. My dad plays a belly putter, doesn't anchor, has his left forearm parrallel to the ground with the elbow pointing to the target, his right arm in the claw grip. He said he had at least 10 members coming over saying how was he going to change and when his reply was that he is doing nothing wrong they were calling him a cheat. He felt bad about it. This is only one course, imagine how many times this went on around the world.

[quote name='highergr0und' timestamp='1354216228' post='5995881']
The only, and I mean only reason, that they are stepping so lightly around the equipment issue has got to be that it's already in the books and they think they would look foolish. Anyone who is going out and saying that "it's only the stroke" or "it has nothing to do with equipment" is completely delusional. These clubs are, and always have been, built to be anchored in accordance to rules set forth by the USGA.
[/quote]

It's not about looking foolish so much as avoiding lawsuits from the manufacturers, imo.

In general:

Rules already exist regarding what constitutes a stroke and what DOESN'T. This is just one more, [b]and it happens to involve specialized equipment and a lot of money.[/b] That is why it's suddenly a big deal.

As for the timing, better late than never. What if they'd made a snap decision as soon as these putters started hitting the market? Would everyone have said "Oh, thank goodness they didn't wait for some evidence or for someone to win with one of these things"? No. At least not the people complaining about the timing today, because most of them just don't like the ruling period and feel like they've been mislead or cheated in some way.

[quote name='rabbit111' timestamp='1354275875' post='5999117']
One problem though now is the misconception of the stroke. My dad plays a belly putter, doesn't anchor, has his left forearm parrallel to the ground with the elbow pointing to the target, his right arm in the claw grip. He said he had at least 10 members coming over saying how was he going to change and when his reply was that he is doing nothing wrong they were calling him a cheat. He felt bad about it. This is only one course, imagine how many times this went on around the world.
[/quote]

You tell your Dad to stick to his guns. It's not his fault they don't know the rules. He knows he's not cheating.

If his "fellow competitors" have a problem tell them to write the USGA/R&A for further ruling.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

Let me state right up front that I support the proposed rule change. However, I regret that the ruling bodies procrastinated so long in making the decision. I also understand to a degree why they did. At first, it was just a few old timers finding a way to conquer the yips and extend their careers a bit longer. For those that say it provides no advantage, I must ask if you have ever seen Orville Moody putt with a short putter? Not a pretty sight at all. Then he adopts the broomstick and not only wins the 1988 Senior US Open on slick greens, but actually leads the Senior Tour in putting that year. The long/anchored style putters have obviously extended or resurrected several golfers' careers who experienced the yips. Do you honestly think Adam Scott (who I love to watch tee to green, btw) is a [i]top [/i]Tour level putter naturally? I don't. I think the mechanical advantage of the anchored putter overcomes his inability on the greens, which is clearly obvious in his success after switching to the broomstick. The current young generation certainly noticed, and many decided to adopt the anchored putters because they recognized the advantage. Everybody does what they can to gain an edge.

Many argue that anchored putters do not give an advantage because you still have to read the greens and have the correct speed to make putts. The other variable involved is that you must start the ball on the intended line, and this is where I think the anchored putters provide an advantage. As many claim, the anchored putters are more difficult to gauge long putts with. However, the true objective of "lag" putts is just that - to lag the ball close enough to make the next putt easily. Line is secondary to speed, although obviously important in proportion to the severity of undulations in the green. It is in the "birdie zone" and the "par saving" zone where the advantage is seen.

Nerves and yips have always been a part of the game. I like it that way. I admire Bernhard Langer, and it was truly agonizing to watch him miss that putt at the 1991 Ryder Cup at Kiawah. Look at Doug Sanders' missed short putt at the 1970 (British) Open Championship. I have never seen a more stunning display of what nerves can do to you. I sympathized with them both, the same as I hurt for Calcavecchia after his tee shot on 17 at Kiawah. Full shot, but still pure nerves. I think that if you allow anything, be it a type of stroke, prescription medication or whatever, that diminishes the effects of nerves in the golf game, it would be a shame.

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & Vokey SM8 58

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1354285727' post='5999557']
[quote name='rabbit111' timestamp='1354275875' post='5999117']
[/quote]

You tell your Dad to stick to his guns. It's not his fault the don't know the rules. He knows he's not cheating.

If his "fellow competitors" have a problem tell them to write the USGA/R&A for further ruling.
[/quote]

Yes...tell your dad to tell them to suck it. He's not anchoring anything. The club is still legal.

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

[quote name='mwkbmw' timestamp='1354289725' post='5999863']
Let me state right up front that I support the proposed rule change. However, I regret that the ruling bodies procrastinated so long in making the decision. I also understand to a degree why they did. At first, it was just a few old timers finding a way to conquer the yips and extend their careers a bit longer. For those that say it provides no advantage, I must ask if you have ever seen Orville Moody putt with a short putter? Not a pretty sight at all. Then he adopts the broomstick and not only wins the 1988 Senior US Open on slick greens, but actually leads the Senior Tour in putting that year. The long/anchored style putters have obviously extended or resurrected several golfers' careers who experienced the yips. Do you honestly think Adam Scott (who I love to watch tee to green, btw) is a [i]top [/i]Tour level putter naturally? I don't. I think the mechanical advantage of the anchored putter overcomes his inability on the greens, which is clearly obvious in his success after switching to the broomstick. The current young generation certainly noticed, and many decided to adopt the anchored putters because they recognized the advantage. Everybody does what they can to gain an edge.

[b]Many argue that anchored putters do not give an advantage [/b]because you still have to read the greens and have the correct speed to make putts. The other variable involved is that you must start the ball on the intended line, and this is where I think the anchored putters provide an advantage. As many claim, the anchored putters are more difficult to gauge long putts with. However, the true objective of "lag" putts is just that - to lag the ball close enough to make the next putt easily. Line is secondary to speed, although obviously important in proportion to the severity of undulations in the green. It is in the "birdie zone" and the "par saving" zone where the advantage is seen.

Nerves and yips have always been a part of the game. I like it that way. I admire Bernhard Langer, and it was truly agonizing to watch him miss that putt at the 1991 Ryder Cup at Kiawah. Look at Doug Sanders' missed short putt at the 1970 (British) Open Championship. I have never seen a more stunning display of what nerves can do to you. I sympathized with them both, the same as I hurt for Calcavecchia after his tee shot on 17 at Kiawah. Full shot, but still pure nerves. I think that if you allow anything, be it a type of stroke, prescription medication or whatever, that diminishes the effects of nerves in the golf game, it would be a shame.
[/quote]
Including the USGA and R&A. It has nothing to do with advantage at all. They just don't like it.
My hopes for you is that you are forever blessed with your nerves of steel and are never forced to find a way that you can continue, in some way, to enjoy this great game. If not, you may find that you change your tune, real fast.

[quote name='Dire Wolf' timestamp='1354286799' post='5999635']
There is not and never has been anything in the Rules of golf stating that everyone in the world has a right to play the game any way they want, and to be comfortable doing it.
[/quote]

That is correct, but you also have to remember that the vast majority of people who play the game do so for recreational purposes and whether they follow any/all rules or not really doesn't impact them...what we're really talking about here is the professional golfer and the amateur golfer who plays in tournaments, whether they be local, men's clubs, etc...

[quote name='topekareal' timestamp='1354291018' post='5999967']
[quote name='Dire Wolf' timestamp='1354286799' post='5999635']
There is not and never has been anything in the Rules of golf stating that everyone in the world has a right to play the game any way they want, and to be comfortable doing it.
[/quote]

That is correct, but you also have to remember that the vast majority of people who play the game do so for recreational purposes and whether they follow any/all rules or not really doesn't impact them...what we're really talking about here is the professional golfer and the amateur golfer who plays in tournaments, whether they be local, men's clubs, etc...
[/quote]

I count myself among the latter and I recognize that I am not entitled to define "golf" however I want to define it. Nor am I entitled to be "comfortable" while putting, or even play it at all, despite multiple injuries and physical limitations of my own.

There are going to major enforcement fiascos at events. I am talking tour, am, club level .. all of them

I can see it now.

LONG scenario:

Golfer 1 .. Hey your forearm is touching your chest.
Golfer 2... Nope. It is 1/2" off my chest
Golfer 1 .. Liar
Golfer 2 .. wanna rumble?
Golfer 1 .. where is the rules guy ?

Kuchar style scenario:

Golfer 1 .. hey, when you played off that uneven lie from short of the green your Kuch putter went 1/2" past your elbow joint, I saw it
Golfer 2 .. F off
The rest of the round is devoid of conversation

I imagine Golfer 1 to be a guy like Kymar (fails to see both sides of the equation):

This rule is so BOGUS. 3 MAJOR ISSUES I HAVE
1. There are so many grey areas that enforcement will cause major headaches. I can't believe this area isn't a bigger part of the discussion vs the I am right you are wrong schoolyard back and forth
2. How can the rule vilify one or two styles of anchoring but OK others. Don't give me the fulcrum argument. Anchoring of one style or another has gone on for decades. Casper, Miller, Owens, Moody etc etc
3. The stigma attached to guys that currently use LONG or BELLY styles

Cally AIS TD Max 10.5* Ventus Black 5x

Callaway AI Smoke TD 16* Ventus Red 6x

Callaway GBB Hvnwd 19* Ventus Blue 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Cally Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x

Ping i210 6-7 & s55 8-PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59* SF 125s

LAB Mezz Max

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1354290944' post='5999957']

[b]Many argue that anchored putters do not give an advantage [/b]because you still have to read the greens and have the correct speed to make putts. The other variable involved is that you must start the ball on the intended line, and this is where I think the anchored putters provide an advantage. As many claim, the anchored putters are more difficult to gauge long putts with. However, the true objective of "lag" putts is just that - to lag the ball close enough to make the next putt easily. Line is secondary to speed, although obviously important in proportion to the severity of undulations in the green. It is in the "birdie zone" and the "par saving" zone where the advantage is seen.

[/quote]
Including the USGA and R&A. It has nothing to do with advantage at all. They just don't like it.
[b]My hopes for you is that you are forever blessed with your nerves of steel and are never forced to find a way that you can continue[/b], in some way, to enjoy this great game. If not, you may find that you change your tune, real fast.
[/quote]

A couple of years ago, I experienced the yips, not when putting, but chipping. Any type of delicate greenside shot could guarantee a chunk or a bladed shot out of fear of the chunk. It was certainly stressful and frustrating to say the least. It felt totally out of my control and I was genuinely confused as to why it was happening. I have always had a solid short game, partly due to a good imagination and the fact that I simply enjoy the short game challenges. While practicing a short bump and run out of greenside rough, I grabbed a 5 wood and used it like a belly putter. I actually considered making a wedge with a long shaft that I could use the same as a belly. That would make those delicate pitches much easier for me. However, I just couldn't bring myself to do it because I did not feel that was how the game was intended to be played. (I'm sorry if that offends you.) Instead, I opted for extra practice. Each time I practiced those shots, I had to keep convincing myself that the outcome did not matter since it was only practice. After a time, I began to strike the shot more solidly in practice, but couldn't take it to the course. Eventually, through sheer perseverance, I began to hit a few shots during competition and slowly my confidence returned. Now, my short game is back to normal. Looking back, I realize that for me, the whole problem with the yips was due to lack of confidence.

It is difficult sometimes to discern one's tone on the internet. I got the feeling that you were being a bit snotty or condescending. Forgive me if I am incorrect. My question to you is, would you really want to watch an exciting duel come down to the last putt, yet know that nerves would not be a factor?

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & Vokey SM8 58

[quote name='Nelson A' timestamp='1354294018' post='6000243']
Dude I literally bought a long putter 4 days ago. :(
[/quote]

You'll be able to use it for 3 more years. How long do you normally use a putter? For me it's about 3 or 4 years anyways, and that's if I [i]really[/i] like it...I think you're fine.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

It's a little surprising to see so many anchorers come out and admit the reason they defend it's use is because of the yips. T[i]hat admission [/i]completely backs up the premise that an anchored stroke doesn't necessarily give player a an advantage over player b. It gives them an advantage over their own lack of ability. Sound harsh? I guess it might, though it's not really meant that way. But there are numerous problems with my game, with everyones game, that could probably be helped immensely by either enacting or removing rules from the game. The psychological battle is part of the game. Golf is the only game that can be played by yourself and still feel like you are really competing, We compete against old man par, our best ever score, X of consecutive bogey free holes and against our limitations and abilities. No one can give me a good reason why a psychological issue should be given more weight than a physical one when it comes to reasons why we don't score as well as we would like. I have experienced the yips, I am pretty sure everyone has. But i didn't just give into it, surrender and start with the cry's into the night "I [i]can't[/i] putt with a standard length putter!" Of course you can, just perhaps not as effectively as you would like when you use the leverage of your body to counteract a natural and normal amount of psychological pressure that golf gives. It is part of the game and it should remain that way.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

how gross that some of the old timers stuck the butt end of the club in the fat pouch above their salami and below their below button.

Golfer1: "Hey man you are anchoring that in your special place...no good."
Golfer2: "Ya? What you gonna do about it? You say anything again and I'll touch you with the butt end of the club. How you like that?"

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

[quote name='mwkbmw' timestamp='1354293125' post='6000153']
[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1354290944' post='5999957']

[/quote]
[b]My hopes for you is that you are forever blessed with your nerves of steel and are never forced to find a way that you can continue[/b], in some way, to enjoy this great game. If not, you may find that you change your tune, real fast.
[/quote]

A couple of years ago, I experienced the yips, not when putting, but chipping. Any type of delicate greenside shot could guarantee a chunk or a bladed shot out of fear of the chunk. It was certainly stressful and frustrating to say the least. It felt totally out of my control and I was genuinely confused as to why it was happening. I have always had a solid short game, partly due to a good imagination and the fact that I simply enjoy the short game challenges. While practicing a short bump and run out of greenside rough, I grabbed a 5 wood and used it like a belly putter. I actually considered making a wedge with a long shaft that I could use the same as a belly. That would make those delicate pitches much easier for me. However, I just couldn't bring myself to do it because I did not feel that was how the game was intended to be played. (I'm sorry if that offends you.) Instead, I opted for extra practice. Each time I practiced those shots, I had to keep convincing myself that the outcome did not matter since it was only practice. After a time, I began to strike the shot more solidly in practice, but couldn't take it to the course. Eventually, through sheer perseverance, I began to hit a few shots during competition and slowly my confidence returned. Now, my short game is back to normal. Looking back, I realize that for me, the whole problem with the yips was due to lack of confidence.

It is difficult sometimes to discern one's tone on the internet. I got the feeling that you were being a bit snotty or condescending. Forgive me if I am incorrect. My question to you is, [b]would you really want to watch an exciting duel come down to the last putt, [/b]yet know that nerves would not be a factor?
[/quote]
I don't believe that is possible. I watched Ernie beat Adam. I'm pretty sure that a lot of nerves were involved,And it was pretty darned exciting. I'll bet you thought so too. Unless of course, all you could focus on was the length of their putters.
Condescending? Not at all. I'm glad you went the extra mile and overcame your nerves in chipping. Many can't be and aren't like you. Many chronic bad backs can't be healed with practice. Many life saving medications may cause the yips. Many who could practice and practice can not afford the time. If you are able to think beyond your own success, you may find a little room to agree. For many, the only answer is to hang up the sticks. I don't want that and I'll bet you don't, either.This ruling is wrong.

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1354294321' post='6000275']
It's a little surprising to see so many anchorers come out and admit the reason they defend it's use is because of the yips. T[i]hat admission [/i]completely backs up the premise that an anchored stroke doesn't necessarily give player a an advantage over player b. It gives them an advantage over their own lack of ability. Sound harsh? I guess it might, though it's not really meant that way. But there are numerous problems with my game, with everyones game, that could probably be helped immensely by either enacting or removing rules from the game. The psychological battle is part of the game. Golf is the only game that can be played by yourself and still feel like you are really competing, We compete against old man par, our best ever score, X of consecutive bogey free holes and against our limitations and abilities. No one can give me a good reason why a psychological issue should be given more weight than a physical one when it comes to reasons why we don't score as well as we would like. I have experienced the yips, I am pretty sure everyone has. But i didn't just give into it, surrender and start with the cry's into the night "I [i]can't[/i] putt with a standard length putter!" Of course you can, just perhaps not as effectively as you would like when you use the leverage of your body to counteract a natural and normal amount of psychological pressure that golf gives. It is part of the game and it should remain that way.
[/quote]
While I can see where you are coming from, it is clear to me that you have never had to face the dilemma of a physical or psychological impairment that could affect your game...aside from those that afflict all of us to some extent. If you had, I'd be surprised if I heard this same logic from you. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe your purism would force you to leave the game, as physical and psychological ills may force others to do the same. A shame, in either case, really, don't you agree?.
As I said to another, May you always stay healthy out there, may you never have to be forced to adopt a stupid looking method in order to stay in the game.

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1354295071' post='6000345']
how gross that some of the old timers stuck the butt end of the club in the fat pouch above their salami and below their below button.

Golfer2: "Ya? What you gonna do about it? You say anything again and I'll touch you with the butt end of the club. How you like that?"
[/quote]

Long putter
Belly putter
and
Fupa putter

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1354296947' post='6000515']
[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1354295071' post='6000345']

[/quote]

Long putter
Belly putter
and
Fupa putter
[/quote]

Fupa putter! Love it. let's change the p to a c though. Or s so I can use salami.

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

[quote name='Mudguard' timestamp='1354255881' post='5998803']
Can I send the R&A an invoice for $569NZ for my putter they intend to make obsolete?
I realise they have not banned the [i]the equipment[/i] but it is like saying you can use a 500cc driver but you cannot use the face to strike the ball.

I guess I'm one of the few that will be genuinely affected by this. I'm 31, otherwise healthy but have had the spiy for 5 years. Used a belly putter for the last 3 or so years and am back to my normal handicap (3). I simply cannot putt with a normal length putter. I cannot do it. I can kick a soccer ball or throw a cricket ball, but have never ever experienced anything like the spiy. It is one of those things that make you want to slap someone who hasn't had them for telling you how to fix it.

I cannot fathom how the likes of Rory or Tiger's opinion has any more validity than those who are members of clubs all over the world. I realise that perhaps in the US there are plenty of green fee players who do whatever they want. But every single round I play is 18 holes and played to the rules. No gimmies, no mulligans, you lose a ball then hit a provisional or go for a hike. So there's no way I'm going to use an illegal club or technique.

To those outraged by the way it looks? Well I think I will adopt the Kuchar style shortly, feels ok, though I will probably not use either of my belly putters as they are too long at 44". And I think this looks more kooky than Adam Scott's chicken wing broomstick,
[/quote]

Watch out! You've got an illegally anchored putter. At least, that's the way I interpret the rule. I don't believe you can take one hand and anchor the grip against your forearm.

[i]"Note 2: An 'anchor point' exists when the player intentionally holds a forearm in contact with any part of his body to establish a gripping hand as a stable point around which the other hand may swing the club."[/i]

If you look at Kuchar, he takes a normal grip and presses the grip extending above his hands into his forearm.
If his method catches on, it seems like the gray area will become how far above the lower hand can the upper hand go without it being considered anchoring to the forearm?
What you (I assume) are doing in that picture is what Michelle Wie was doing a while back (maybe still is).

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1354296798' post='6000493']
[/quote]
While I can see where you are coming from, it is clear to me that you have never had to face the dilemma of a physical or psychological impairment that could affect your game...aside from those that afflict all of us to some extent. If you had, I'd be surprised if I heard this same logic from you. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe your purism would force you to leave the game, as physical and psychological ills may force others to do the same. A shame, in either case, really, don't you agree?.
As I said to another, May you always stay healthy out there, may you never have to be forced to adopt a stupid looking method in order to stay in the game.
[/quote]

Purist? I am not sure about that. Though i do find it strange that the pro anchoring set have taken to making that a dirty word. Like if i or anyone else says something like "I am a golf purist" it's on par with "I am a racist" or "Women should be in the kitchen!" It's not. And I am not. And therefore I am living proof (I know how big you guys are on proof, or at least "tending toward") That it doesn't take what is considered to be a true purist to object to the notion that nerves, or twitchness or a shaky hand should be allowed to be compensated for by stabilizing a club against yourself. it is about an equal playing field right? And as I think of it, could we possibly have a twitchier masters champion? That is called pressure and it's part of the game.
I am somewhat disappointed by your poorly thought out assumptions ngb and had assumed that you had read my posts on the issue. Now it's fair to think you missed some but even in the one you quoted, i stated that I have at times struggled with the yips. Also, I have a mild form of a serious back disease that makes putting, specifically putting practice for any real period of time, very painful and difficult. I am lucky because most sufferers of this disease are precluded for many activities i can participate in. And if it ever gets to the point that the act of putting during play becomes too painful I will be thankful that the USGA has kept the long putter legal and made the effort to clearly show what a legal, non anchored putting stroke looks like.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1354302218' post='6001053']
[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1354296798' post='6000493']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Purist? I am not sure about that. Though i do find it strange that the pro anchoring set have taken to making that a dirty word. Like if i or anyone else says something like "I am a golf purist" it's on par with "I am a racist" or "Women should be in the kitchen!" It's not. And I am not. And therefore I am living proof (I know how big you guys are on proof, or at least "tending toward") That it doesn't take what is considered to be a true purist to object to the notion that nerves, or twitchness or a shaky hand should be allowed to be compensated for by stabilizing a club against yourself. it is about an equal playing field right? And as I think of it, could we possibly have a twitchier masters champion? That is called pressure and it's part of the game.
I am somewhat disappointed by your poorly thought out assumptions ngb and had assumed that you had read my posts on the issue. Now it's fair to think you missed some but even in the one you quoted, i stated that I have at times struggled with the yips. Also, I have a mild form of a serious back disease that makes putting, specifically putting practice for any real period of time, very painful and difficult. I am lucky because most sufferers of this disease are precluded for many activities i can participate in. And if it ever gets to the point that the act of putting during play becomes too painful I will be thankful that the USGA has kept the long putter legal and made the effort to clearly show what a legal, non anchored putting stroke looks like.
[/quote]
I had no idea that you have played with pain or had the yips. If I had, I would have expected a more liberal attitude I guess, from you, then. Ahh....you are a puzzlement.
I believe that the term purist is tossed out in a sarcastic manner, at least in this argument. It seems that anyone who argues tradition, spirit, convention, yet embraces the changes that suit him, gets the label purist. I am guilty of both being this kind of purist ( at times) and of using the word to describe pro banners, such as yourself. ( I take it that you are renegeing on last nights giddy statement?) Anyway don't take it to heart, it's not like you are a fanboy or a hater. Those two words get my Irish blood really boiling.
and finally for the record, I am not shouting at you........I don't want others to get the wrong idea....