2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Fiesta Bowl Trip....Go DUCKS!!

edryer3

Having trouble deciding on where to play... Our flight gets into Vegas at 9:15am and we are driving down on January 2nd to phoenix. Daylight is limited and cant decide where we should play. Either play right when we get in to Vegas or hope to get to the Phoenix area by 1:30-2pm and play Trilogy $45 for twilight rate. What would you do?? Anyone make the drive from Vegas to PHX? How long does it really take? Thanks

Thinking of playing Boulder Creek on the way down but not sure. Good idea?? Anyone play the course if so which courses are your favorite. Thanks

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]
[size=3]TM SIM Ti 15deg w/ Tensei Pro White 80TX[/size]
[size=3]​TM P790 3i w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX[/size]
[size=3]TM P790 4i w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]Srixon 765 5-PW w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Milled Grind 50deg, 54deg, and 58deg High Toe w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Spider X Copper[/size][/font]

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vegas to phx is 5 hours max. More like 4. In Vegas I would play at Paiute. They have 3 outstanding golf courses. Then in PHX open up your wallet because everything down there is stupid pricey. I played in scottsdale when I was there. Great courses but over priced, I also played wildhorse pass Devils claw and that was a great track and pretty cheap at the time. They have two courses there about 20 mins south of sky harbor.

Boulder Creek is a good golf choice...nice course. Do this if you want to assure your round.

A better option than Trilogy is Los Caballeros in Wickenberg(on your way into Phoenix) or Quintero(also on your way in). I would choose these both over Trilogy..much better choices.

Solid 4.5 hours - 5hrs. At normal speeds! :busted_cop:

But you would get to Wickenberg or Quintero at 4hrs-4.5hrs.

Ok Great thanks for your help. We are staying at my parents in Florence and Poston Butte is in there back yard and wild horse as well for super cheap. My dads got his ruggles pass :)

What course did you like at Boulder Creek??

Thanks

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]

Where would you recommend to play around the Glendale Area before the Game on the 3rd??

[quote name='edryer3' timestamp='1354929933' post='6036195']
Ok Great thanks for your help. We are staying at my parents in Florence and Poston Butte is in there back yard and wild horse as well for super cheap. My dads got his ruggles pass :)

What course did you like at Boulder Creek??

Thanks
[/quote]

Poston Butte... Wow that will be a nice 1:45 minute drive one way on game day. I dont think you can get any further away. :) Maybe Tucson. :)

PING G425 Max       10.5* Tensei  AV Blue 60 gram X flex
PING G425 Max       16.5* TD AD TP 80 gram X flex
PING G425 19*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING G425 22*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING i230                  5-PW     w/ PX LZ 6.0 Black out shafts (+ 1/4”)
Titleist SM 9 raw        50*/54*/58* PX LZ 6.0  Black out shaft (+ 1/4”)

Odyssey                     AI One  Seven CH

BULLPEN

TM Rossi   M-21 Reserve and Odyssey Tri Hot      5k Seven CH   

Yeah but it is a free place to stay for a week!!!!!!!!

[quote name='edryer3' timestamp='1354932661' post='6036407']
Yeah but it is a free place to stay for a week!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

No problem with that... enjoy our sunshine and hope the Ducks win.

PING G425 Max       10.5* Tensei  AV Blue 60 gram X flex
PING G425 Max       16.5* TD AD TP 80 gram X flex
PING G425 19*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING G425 22*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING i230                  5-PW     w/ PX LZ 6.0 Black out shafts (+ 1/4”)
Titleist SM 9 raw        50*/54*/58* PX LZ 6.0  Black out shaft (+ 1/4”)

Odyssey                     AI One  Seven CH

BULLPEN

TM Rossi   M-21 Reserve and Odyssey Tri Hot      5k Seven CH   

[quote name='edryer3' timestamp='1354931511' post='6036313']
Where would you recommend to play around the Glendale Area before the Game on the 3rd??
[/quote]

Nothing of great worth in the Glendale area per se...at least not in the immediate vicinity of the stadium. You could go to Estrella, Raven at Verrado, Wigwam Gold and then you would backtrack it back to the stadium.

You could go up to Trilogy at Vistancia and then back down.

Other than that it is hard to recommend anything else....you could pick a course on the way like Papago, Raven South Mountain.

Anyone play Arizona Grand Resort Golf Course???

[quote name='edryer3' timestamp='1354984485' post='6038211']
Anyone play Arizona Grand Resort Golf Course???
[/quote]

Do not play there. Just don't. Unless they pay you $50 lol.

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

LOL Copy that, loud and clear thanks!!!

So here is my Plan:

-Arrive in Vegas on the 2nd and play Boulder Creek then drive down to Florence to (Parental Units House)

-The day of the Fiesta Bowl play Estrella Golf Club at 10:44 (Should I make the tee time earlier?? game is at 6:30pm. how long is a typical round during that time)

-Play Poston Butte a few times over the weekend

-Play whirlwind on Monday and tuesday head home (Which whirlwind course?? Devils Claw??)

Thanks for all the input

If you had to pick: Gold Canyon Dinosaur Mtn or Estrella??

For me, if rather play Estrella over gold canyon. This is just my opinion, but I think gold canyon is more about the views from elevated tee boxes while Estrella is a better course to play. I've only played each one once, gold canyon was a freebie, both are far from my house but I'd pay to go back to Estrella lol.

I think devils claw is the better at whirlwind,but I always get confused lol.

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

[quote name='edryer3' timestamp='1354995887' post='6038825']
So here is my Plan:

-Arrive in Vegas on the 2nd and play Boulder Creek then drive down to Florence to (Parental Units House)

-The day of the Fiesta Bowl play Estrella Golf Club at 10:44 (Should I make the tee time earlier?? game is at 6:30pm. how long is a typical round during that time)
[b][color=#ff0000][size=5]Earlier! [/size][/color][/b][size=4][i][b] Estrella is a retirement suburb and all the old folks are back in town...you risk a longer than normal round as a result. Plus you want to get some time ahead of time at the stadium with the activities.[/b][/i][/size]

-Play whirlwind on Monday and tuesday head home (Which whirlwind course?? Devils Claw??) [size=4][i][b] Both are good, Devils Claw is the better of the 2 from a course layout perspective, all good holes. Cattail is very good, just a few blah holes that give DC the edge.[/b][/i][/size]

Thanks for all the input
[/quote]

Puttn,
Copy that with Estrella, where would you play if I scratched out Estrella??? I am coming from Florence so what would you recommend for quicker play? Gold Canyon? Superstition Mountain?? Let me know thanks

So here is my Plan:

-Play whirlwind on Monday and tuesday head home (Which whirlwind course?? Devils Claw??)

Thanks for all the input
[/quote]

Having played multiple recent rounds at Estrella the pace of play has been great. Estrella is actually a family community not a retirement community. They may have an age restricted neighborhood or two but the overwhelming majority of the community is non retirement. Actually got in 2 rounds yesterday, 3.5 hrs in the morning and after lunch just under 4. A suggestion would be to take a look at their website as they post tee times and see whats available a few days out to give you an idea of how busy it is gonna be or even give them a call. Their customer service is awesome.

As for the Glendale area I would suggest Legend of Arrowhead, a quality Palmer designed course that is challenging. You can always call Arrowhead Country Club as well to see if they have any unaccompanied guest tee times, from time to time they do, just call ahead. Both of those courses are in North Glendale. Not in Glendale is the 500 Club but it's pretty dang close. You absolutely can't go wrong with the 500 club. A very nice desert track with a couple really cool holes.

Just my 2 cents, hope you enjoy your time in AZ. While I am not a fan of Oregon at all I will root for them just for the sake of them being a PAC-10 team!

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1355011008' post='6039611']
500 club and arrowhead will be out of the way coming from Florence, and IMO steps down from verrado, Estrella, wigwam etc
[/quote]

So what would you play The Raven Verrado or Estrella??? If I played either what time would look at teeing off??

500 club and arrowhead will be out of the way coming from Florence, and IMO steps down from verrado, Estrella, wigwam etc
[/quote]

Just commenting on the fact he wanted to play in Glendale on the day of the Fiesta Bowl. I agree Legend at Arrowhead or AHCC are not Verrado or Estrella but both have had big recent improvements. I think close to 500k at Legend and 1mil at AHCC.

[quote name='AzSuperHack76' timestamp='1355010684' post='6039589']
So here is my Plan:

Thanks for all the input
[/quote]

Having played multiple recent rounds at Estrella the pace of play has been great. Estrella is actually a family community not a retirement community. They may have an age restricted neighborhood or two but the overwhelming majority of the community is non retirement. Actually got in 2 rounds yesterday, 3.5 hrs in the morning and after lunch just under 4. A suggestion would be to take a look at their website as they post tee times and see whats available a few days out to give you an idea of how busy it is gonna be or even give them a call. Their customer service is awesome.

[/quote]

Lucky rounds...buddy text me [u][b]this morning[/b][/u] at 1:33pm saying he was walking off the course after nine because his round was at 3hours at that point.

The point being, it is better to ensure the round is completed in time.

And Legend Arrowhead is disgusting...fairways chewed up and barren, hard as a rock everywhere. Horrible course.

[quote name='edryer3' timestamp='1355011802' post='6039657']
[/quote]

So what would you play The Raven Verrado or Estrella??? If I played either what time would look at teeing off??
[/quote]

Can't go wrong with either of those if that is what you are doing on the day of the Fiesta Bowl, just try to get an earlier tee time in order to get the pre game festivities going!

[quote name='puttnforthe8' timestamp='1355011825' post='6039663']
So here is my Plan:

Thanks for all the input
[/quote]

[/quote]

Lucky rounds...buddy text me [u][b]this morning[/b][/u] at 1:33pm saying he was walking off the course after nine because his round was at 3hours at that point.

And Legend Arrowhead is disgusting...fairways chewed up and barren, hard as a rock everywhere. Horrible course.
[/quote]

That's nuts.... I have had 7-8 rounds in the last 2 1/2 months at Estrella and have never had an issue like that. I'm assuming if he went and talked to the staff they would have refunded him.

Legend has improved, believe it or not. New practice facility, they re did all the green side bunkers, laid down sod on all the barren areas that were there.The improvements began approx. 3 months ago. Course is in actual decent shape. A couple years ago the greens were absolute crap and the rest of the conditions were as you described. They are making steps in the right direction for sure.

So here is my Plan:

Thanks for all the input
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ok, yeah we wanted to play somewhere close to the stadium 30-40min at the most from the course. Looking to squeeze in 18 and have fun at the stadium before so we are not rushing from the course to get in before kickoff. Would the Raven at Verrado be a better option?? Or go North like Trilogy?

[quote name='edryer3' timestamp='1355012293' post='6039679']
So here is my Plan:

Thanks for all the input
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ok, yeah we wanted to play somewhere close to the stadium 30-40min at the most from the course. Looking to squeeze in 18 and have fun at the stadium before so we are not rushing from the course to get in before kickoff. Would the Raven at Verrado be a better option?? Or go North like Trilogy?
[/quote]

Trilogy can be a little on the slow side at times, but again that can go with any given day. Raven is further out there but all freeway and that keeps you in your 30-40 min range. As with any course they can play slow on any given day. Give them a call and find out if they have any tournaments or leagues going that day to be safe.

[quote name='AzSuperHack76' timestamp='1355012708' post='6039703']
[quote name='edryer3' timestamp='1355012293' post='6039679']
So here is my Plan:

Thanks for all the input
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Trilogy can be a little on the slow side at times, but again that can go with any given day. Raven is further out there but all freeway and that keeps you in your 30-40 min range. As with any course they can play slow on any given day. Give them a call and find out if they have any tournaments or leagues going that day to be safe.
[/quote]

Ok thanks for all your help.. I am thinking of playing Gold Canyon or Superstition Mtn the Prospect Course. What would you recommend thinking of going that route it only takes 45min from florence and then jump on Hwy 60 over to stadium about another hour away. Get an early tee time like 8:30am. What do you think???