2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I'm like everyone else who goes through clubs, I traded my X-Tours for these which were very good irons just not as forgiving as I needed. I have a backup set of G5 which are prone to go left on me very quickly when Im off. So in comes the Fusion.

I wont go into what they look like everyone knows that.

For me these are the best feeling irons I've ever hit, very soft muted feeling when hit solidly.

Ballflight with these can be manipulated, but my normal swing results in monster high shots even with the 3 and 4 irons and with Dynamic Gold shafts. However, the trajectory is penetrating, unlike the G5 that hit very high for me and wind would become a problem many times.

These are as forgiving an iron that I've ever experienced. There is less offset then alot of game improvement irons but fading slicing isnt a problem and my disaster hook shot does not show up when I give a little extra oomph to the shot. 3 iron is a blast to hit and you have to put some pretty crappy swings on these irons to really get them off line.

I actually enjoy going to the range and hitting these irons, no how did I do that shot anymore. I might rather hit a 6 iron out on the range than pound drivers because I like these irons so much.

These are expensive irons but if you want a set you can keep for a long time I'd spend the money on these.

• 4 weeks later...

WOW. These are truly the best irons I've ever hit. I recently hit a demo 6 iron with the Nippon 990 Uniflex steel shaft and from the first hit i was sold. I went to ebay and found a 3-PW set shipped for $700. I settled on the Nippon 990 shaft, standard length, uniflex. According to the callaway website the 5 iron is 38 inches which is a 1/4 longer than most standard. I love this shaft! So smooth through impact. 99 grams and butter smooth, so soft. My first round with the Fusions I started like this: Hole 1, 9 iron 10 feet, Hole 2, 8 iron 4 feet, 3 hole, 7 iron 6 feet. I was stunned at how easy these irons are to hit. THey are long too. I came to a par 3 on the back nine 194 to the pin, 6 iron right over the stick to 8 feet. Ended the day with a 73 which i thought was good since the fairways were soggy. AFter the round I looked back and thought about my ball striking. I never mis-hit an iron shot all day, fat, thin, etc.. I've never done that. On the 17th hole, a par five, i had 200 yards in uphill, on a soggy tight lie against the wind. Took my 4 iron which i had never hit and just pured it high and soft to 12 feet, eagle. I honestly think the Nippon shaft has so much to do with how great these irons feel. My suggestion is to demo the Fusion and then head to Ebay. $1200 brand new? No thanks. Thank you Callaway!

handicap: 1

My bag:

Taylor Made R510 TP 9.5 Diamana 83x tipped 1"

Taylor Made V-steel Tour 13 degree/ACCRA M4 SC75

Callaway Steelhead III 5 wood/ stock shaft

Callaway Fusion 3-PW Nippon 990

Cleveland CG10 54 degree

Ping I3 blade 60 degree

Guerin Rife Two Bar Blade

Callaway HX ball

• 6 months later...

I just bought a set off a golfwrx member and played with them yesterday on my home course that is 7000yds. Well, I just shot my best score of 70, 2 under par. These clubs are like cheating because they are so easy to hit. What I love about these clubs are the fact they do look like nice on address, not too much offset or bulky looking. The long irons are easy to get up in the air but the draw back is the short irons lauch too high...I can live with that. Most mishits are playable. Highly recommended if you are a golfer who can't spend time pounding balls and playing every day.

• 1 month later...

I've been playing with these for the last 2 week. They are about as forgiving X-14s but with a higher launch angle - it doesn't baloon. I think some of the impact smoothness actually comes from the shaft which is a very nice one. I used to play another set of iron with DG S300s. So, I had to adjust my tempo.

Overall, I'm happy so far.

• 1 month later...

I have owned these for almost a month now and couldn't be happier. I, like a few other reviewers, had X-Tours previously but found them too demanding at times. I definitely over estimated my skills when I purchased the X-Tours and just wasn't having much success, even after 2 fittings and 2 re-shafts. I decided to pick up a set of Fusions for the "Cold Weather" b/c the X-Tours were very harsh on my hands when it was < 50º out. Now that I've played 5+ rounds with them and many trips to the driving range I don't think the X-Tours will make it back into my bag in the spring.

I have also heard that these clubs really weren't for diggers vs sweepers and I would say that's not really true. As I go up in my irons PW -> 4i my swing starts to shallow out. So I will take a nice divot from my 7i but from my 4i I'll most likely pick it rather clean off the fairway and haven't had any issues with accuracy/trajectory with any of the clubs.

Likes: Forgiveness and Feel. When you first look at them, they don't scream Game Improvement to you. Place them next to X-18's or Big Bertha's and they look a lot thinner and have 1/2 the offset, but one mis-hit with these and that idea goes away as I found them to be more forgiving that the X-18's.

As far as feel, the feel of the Fusions are a love/hate. I love the fact that when hit pure they feel soft and almost forged-like. I also love the fact that a slight mis-hit to the toe basically give you the same feel, so all day long it feels like you are just hitting it pure, even if you're not. The drawback to this is that there really isn't much feedback to the player. If you shank it or hit it thin, you'll know it, but that's about it. I wasn't too concerned about the feed back, so this doesn't bother me.

The Nippon Shaft, I have never been a fan of Uniflex Shafts where 1 size fits all and for a $1000 set of irons, there should be more standard options. (Side Note: Callaway offers ton's of shafts options, but some have upcharges ranging from $10/Club to $25/Club) But I pleasantly surprised to be very happy with these shafts. A nice smooth swing is rewarded with an almost Graphite-Like kick that feels great!

Distance, these clubs play over a club length longer than my X-Tours and my old X-18's, and due to this, my scores have dropped. It's a lot easier to get an 8i to hold the green vs a 7i or 6i on your approach shots.

Dislikes: Like with all Callaway Irons that are polished to a high shine, that lasts about 2 rounds and then the soles and leading edge looks about 2 months old, but oh well, their golf clubs not trophies.

Quality: The first set I had I purchased from Callaway Golf Pre-Owned and had an issue with the Ferrule's on them. It seems that the clubs were refinished and weren't properly reshafted as 4 of the 7 clubs had loose Ferrule's and 1 cracked. Callaway Replaced the clubs for me and I haven't had an issue yet. So I would say this is an isolated event.

• 1 month later...

I to have Xtours which I played last year.I also could use a bit more forgiveness and a little distance.I never tried the Fusions because I didn,t like all the plastic on back.Thats the tradtionalist in me.However I have interest in demoing the new X20 tours.When I really look at them the backs have a full complement (although not quite the same) of paint or plastic on them.Maybe the fusions(,looking at all the other irons coming out) don.t look that different anymore.Anyway have you hit the X20tours yet to compare to the fusions? I think I should demo them when I get to demo the X20 tours.Probablem get a decent deal on a used set ot trade my xtours.What do you think.Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I have the Fusions and love the feel at impact and the distance is great but.................If I overswing just a bit I get these monster high draws. I do tend to over more than under swing. I have the stock Nippon steel shafts and wonder if anyone has reshafted with a different steel shaft and how it affected the ball flight (trajectory) and hook ablility.

• 3 months later...
I have owned these for almost a month now and couldn't be happier. I, like a few other reviewers, had X-Tours previously but found them too demanding at times. I definitely over estimated my skills when I purchased the X-Tours and just wasn't having much success, even after 2 fittings and 2 re-shafts. I decided to pick up a set of Fusions for the "Cold Weather" b/c the X-Tours were very harsh on my hands when it was < 50º out. Now that I've played 5+ rounds with them and many trips to the driving range I don't think the X-Tours will make it back into my bag in the spring.

I have also heard that these clubs really weren't for diggers vs sweepers and I would say that's not really true. As I go up in my irons PW -> 4i my swing starts to shallow out. So I will take a nice divot from my 7i but from my 4i I'll most likely pick it rather clean off the fairway and haven't had any issues with accuracy/trajectory with any of the clubs.

Likes: Forgiveness and Feel. When you first look at them, they don't scream Game Improvement to you. Place them next to X-18's or Big Bertha's and they look a lot thinner and have 1/2 the offset, but one mis-hit with these and that idea goes away as I found them to be more forgiving that the X-18's.

As far as feel, the feel of the Fusions are a love/hate. I love the fact that when hit pure they feel soft and almost forged-like. I also love the fact that a slight mis-hit to the toe basically give you the same feel, so all day long it feels like you are just hitting it pure, even if you're not. The drawback to this is that there really isn't much feedback to the player. If you shank it or hit it thin, you'll know it, but that's about it. I wasn't too concerned about the feed back, so this doesn't bother me.

The Nippon Shaft, I have never been a fan of Uniflex Shafts where 1 size fits all and for a $1000 set of irons, there should be more standard options. (Side Note: Callaway offers ton's of shafts options, but some have upcharges ranging from $10/Club to $25/Club) But I pleasantly surprised to be very happy with these shafts. A nice smooth swing is rewarded with an almost Graphite-Like kick that feels great!

Distance, these clubs play over a club length longer than my X-Tours and my old X-18's, and due to this, my scores have dropped. It's a lot easier to get an 8i to hold the green vs a 7i or 6i on your approach shots.

Dislikes: Like with all Callaway Irons that are polished to a high shine, that lasts about 2 rounds and then the soles and leading edge looks about 2 months old, but oh well, their golf clubs not trophies.

Quality: The first set I had I purchased from Callaway Golf Pre-Owned and had an issue with the Ferrule's on them. It seems that the clubs were refinished and weren't properly reshafted as 4 of the 7 clubs had loose Ferrule's and 1 cracked. Callaway Replaced the clubs for me and I haven't had an issue yet. So I would say this is an isolated event.

I just wanted to follow up on this post. I have now been playing these clubs for 8 months and I love them now more than I did when I first wrote this. I have really taken to these clubs and it has shown in my scores/Handicap. I have been hitting the long irons so well that I am thinking about purchasing a 3i and dropping my 3 hybrid since the 4i has kicked my 3 hybrid out of my bag.

These are definately firmly set in my bag.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't not say enough about these clubs!!!! I have been playing them for a year now. I am a low handicapper, and would highly recommend these irons. Can work the ball very well. I have so much more confidence using these clubs I am always firing at the pin. Love how they look. The 3 iron is probably one of my favorites. I started using my wedge and hitting a 3/4 knock down from 110 yards out instead of going after my 56 Cleavland, I like hitting these into greens so much and the distance control is unbelievable. Like I said can't say enough good things about theses clubs.

I played the Fusions for a few months while my game was struggling and I have a tough time feeling where the ball makes contact with the club. I would hit a shot and watch it fly right on line and think "Oh, that is going to be close" only to watch it drop into the front bunker because I hit it on the toe and could hardly tell. I prefer the feel of forged clubs and knowing where on the face I hit it.

All that being said, I would strongly recommend these to new players as the face of these clubs are HOT. I am a half a club longer and they are very forgiving. I am going to leave them as a backup set for when my game goes on the frits.

I have absolutely no problem feeling where they make contact on bad shots. Also if you miss hit it and it gets you that close to the green, I would bet that your blades won't get you that close. So your saying you would like your miss hits to be worse shots.....ok if you can't feel just look at the iron after the shot ought to give you plenty of feed back.

• 2 weeks later...
I have absolutely no problem feeling where they make contact on bad shots. Also if you miss hit it and it gets you that close to the green, I would bet that your blades won't get you that close. So your saying you would like your miss hits to be worse shots.....ok if you can't feel just look at the iron after the shot ought to give you plenty of feed back.

That is a great point, if you want to know whether or not you hit a bad shot just look at how it ended up. I have had these irons for about 4 months and absolutely love them, I have gotten much better in general with my swing but I would think that any handicap could shoot well with these. They have a good look at address and the only thing that is different is the insert in the back. I bet that if everyone switched to these clubs and the Bridgestone E6 the overall handicaps on this forum would drop like a rock.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been having some problems with my steel shafted G5's recently (hand and wrist soreness) and decided to get a backup set of clubs with graphite shafts and something to soften the ball strikes. Went to Callaway pre-owned and got a set of Fusions (excellent shape, BTW). Wow...incredibly soft feel and great distance--at least 10 yards better than the Pings. Very hot face. Can't say yet if they will replace the Pings (which I'll likely reshaft with graphite), but I am impressed. The only downside I see at the moment is having to dial in the new distances. They look great at address and in the bag. Nice job, Callaway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have never reviewed a set before but i just had to. I love these irons that much. I must admit i never thought I would ever be playing a fusion iron. I was having a fitting at a callaway performance center after my last set of clubs was stolen. I previously played the x-tours and prior to that a few different titleists. I swing hard and create a lot of spin so the fitter assumed the x-forged would be perfect with the higher CG. I hit those well but i tend to occasionally miss off the toe. My pattern was okay but i wanted more consitency so he handed me a fusion. At address they are not overly bulky at all. I wasnt used to the offset but it is not terrible either. Needless to say i stroked 10 straight 6 irons within a few yards of each other and dead on line. I even missed one off the toe a little. They are amazingly easy to hit, yet give enough feedback that I know i missed and where i missed it. They are amazing, easiest clubs to hit period, and they wont let you get sloppy either because there is enough feedback. A pured shot has a really solid feel that rivals the x-tours. I know some may be skeptical of that opinion, but I suggest you try and save a few shots here and there.

• 4 months later...

I could not give these clubs higher than a 3, they are about the ugliest out there..

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

• 1 month later...

I've probably hit 70% of the irons out there in my short time, but these have got to be the easiest improvement irons I've ever played. I got a brand new set of 3-PW, with the stock Nippons for $500. I didn't like the launch angle, too hight and sent them to Cally to get re-shafted them with the DGS-300's, FREE.

I just took them out for the 1st time, a year later and they have got to be the easiest, most forgiving and best feeling irons that Cally has ever put out. They're easy to look at and sooo simple to play.

I was thinking to myself while playing, why make this game so hard on yourself by insistng on players irons?

Do yourself a favor and demo a set. They've got to be much cheaper with the new FT's out?

• 4 weeks later...

I just sold my X-20 Tours with PX 5.0s and bought the 2007 Fusion irons with Nippon 990s. I thought I died and went to heaven. These are straight and long. I can't begin to tell you how good it feels to hit a nice shot and watch it fly 10-20 yards further then you expected. I could just about cry tears of joy. :) Also, strange thing, I played the X-20s 2* flat and 1/4" shorter, but I didn't need to adjust lies on these. And since the shafts are lighter, I can play the standard length. Weird, not what I expected. Who would of thought a odd ball golfer like me would actually fit into Callaway standard length, lie, and uniflex? I was skeptical, but the proof is in the pudding.

[size=3][color=#ff0000][b]I'm a business/recreational golfer with a 100 MPH driver swing speed, and a 10 HC.[/b][/color][/size]

[size=3]Ping K15, 9*, Motore F3 70s | [/size][size=3]Titleist 915F, 15*, Blue 70s | [/size]T[size=3]itleist 915H, 18*, Rogue 85Hs [/size][size=3]| [/size]T[size=3]itleist 816H2, 23*, [/size][size=3]Speeder HB8.8[/size]
[size=3]Callaway XR Pro 5-AW, Recoil 110 | [/size][size=3]Ping Glide 54*/SS, 58*/WS | [/size][size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR Shea H[/size]
[size=3]Golf Pride CP2 Pro Grips | [/size][size=3]Wilson Duo/Spin | [/size][size=3]Leupold GX-3i[/size]

I just sold my X-20 Tours with PX 5.0s and bought the 2007 Fusion irons with Nippon 990s. I thought I died and went to heaven. These are straight and long. I can't begin to tell you how good it feels to hit a nice shot and watch it fly 10-20 yards further then you expected. I could just about cry tears of joy. :) Also, strange thing, I played the X-20s 2* flat and 1/4" shorter, but I didn't need to adjust lies on these. And since the shafts are lighter, I can play the standard length. Weird, not what I expected. Who would of thought a odd ball golfer like me would actually fit into Callaway standard length, lie, and uniflex? I was skeptical, but the proof is in the pudding.

Good for you. I to went through one of the best experiences I have with golf in a long time. I purchased them new, let them sit around for about a year, had them re-shafted with DGS-300's and took them out because my other set was in my wife's car.

Low and Behold... They have got to be one of the easiest and straightest sets of irons I've ever hit.

They are staying in the bag until I replace them with another set.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
any one tried/re-shafted Cally BB Fusions with Project X Flighted rifle? looking to reshaft mine and was curious to know the results. at the moment, they all have stock uniflex shaft.

I have been thinking of doing this also

I've also been thinking about reshafting my fusions...I'm curious what kind of experience others have had doing this...

• 2 months later...

I got this set with the uniflex shaft to replace my Adams GT2 Undercut back in July. These irons have followed me since from a 35 down to a 23.9 index as of today. I think these irons work best when you don't try to kill the ball. A nice and smooth swing will reward you with a buttery soft feel at contact as you watch the ball litterally jumps off and away. The soles get scratched up very easily, but otherwise these are great quality clubs that I will be playing all the way until I'm ready to go to blades. Even if that's 5-10 years from now. I'm tempted to buy another set and put it aside, just in case.

• 5 weeks later...

Bought a set on Callaway Preowned and reshafted them Aerotech i95. I thought the lighterweight graphite stock shafts were inconsistent.

The BB Fusions have a topline that is not too thick, a sole that is not too wide, a heel and toe length that is comparable to the R7TP, and not too much offset. It has lots of forgiveness. They are slightly more rounded at the toe than the Titleist AP1s and more attractive, and not as clunky (like the AP1) IMHO. The perimeter weighting makes this club very forgiving as the liteweight TI face allows one to move more weight to the perimeter. I found my combo went higher and farther with more playability than the AP1. The Ti face does not feel hot and I do find them consistent.

Even with all the forgiveness, I'd say these clubs are for low to mid cappers who want to take it easy. They have a good swing, but suffer from inconsistency with more compact clubs due to lack of practice or playing time, and want to have fun. With the Fusions, they can relax more, have fun, swing easy and enjoy a higher ball flight.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

• 3 months later...

I bought these 3 months ago. I went thru 15 different sets before I settled on the Fusions.

Pros: compact clubhead, forgiving, crisp yet soft feel, moderate offset, good distance, lightweight. Even the wedges are nice.

Cons: I wouldn't mind less offset, the stock graphite shaft could be more consistent, the ti face doesn't yield super consistent yardages.

Overall, I'm content with the Fusions. Distance, feel, and appearance are it's highest marks. I recommend this set for the mid handicapper.

• 1 month later...