2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Back from Vegas

Woogie

A friend and a I just got back from Las Vegas. We played Paiute Wolf and Rio Secco. Both were amazing courses and in great shape. It was pretty cold the the second day at Paiute but it was a great trip.

My friend and I have now hit Bali Hai, Desert Pines and the two we played this trip. I love Vegas and can't wait to get back and play again on two new courses.

I guess the point of this post is to thank all the WRXers who recommended Paiute. If it wasn't for all the positive reviews on here we might not have played it. It was a great experience.

Finally, safe and happy New Year to all.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All three courses at Paiute are great and so is Rio Secco. But my must play out there each year is Wolf Creek, An hour or so from the strip, but well worth the trip.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TX 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

[quote name='Troyefl' timestamp='1356975488' post='6143689']
I will be traveling to LV in June, what is the must play for my first round of golf in Vegas?
I was thinking Bali Hai.
[/quote]

I enjoyed Bali Hai and it is vey convenient being located on the Strip. Also, I think it is less difficult than Paiute Wolf and Rio Secco. The one thing about Bali Hai is that it is more of a created Island Oasis than desert golf. If you want desert golf go with Paiute. If you want desert golf with nice houses and a country club feel, Rio Secco is the place. All three were great.

[quote name='scottaz' timestamp='1356977872' post='6143885']
All three courses at Paiute are great and so is Rio Secco. But my must play out there each year is Wolf Creek, An hour or so from the strip, but well worth the trip.
[/quote]

I would love to play Wolf Creek, Shadow Creek, Cascata, and Wynn.

Glad you had a great time at Paiute, well worth the drive from Strip or downtown.

[quote name='Woogie' timestamp='1356974964' post='6143637']
A friend and a I just got back from Las Vegas. We played Paiute Wolf and Rio Secco. Both were amazing courses and in great shape. It was pretty cold the the second day at Paiute but it was a great trip.

My friend and I have now hit Bali Hai, Desert Pines and the two we played this trip. I love Vegas and can't wait to get back and play again on two new courses.

I guess the point of this post is to thank all the WRXers who recommended Paiute. If it wasn't for all the positive reviews on here we might not have played it. It was a great experience.

Finally, safe and happy New Year to all.
[/quote]

Wolf is really a sik course with elevation that makes it a must ride in a cart course. My fav. 2 courses in LV are by far the Wynn and Shadow Creek. Shadow is in my top 10 list, and even tho very pricey it's well worth it as the layout and service are top notch. I always stay at the Wynn so most naturally I played there the most. Beautiful and well taken care of, coming up 18 always makes me want to play it again. We're goin up in March and I'm sacrificing a round to go see a Cirque show, so only 1 round and it will most likely be at the Wynn.

SLDR 430 TP 9* Matrix Ozik 7m3 X
SLDR TP/RBZ Tour P 15* & 19* 7m3 X
TaylorMade MB 3-9 KBS CTaper X
Titleist Vokey SM4 48-54-60 KBS blk/grn
Adidas-Coach-Versace
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5

[quote name='a-B' timestamp='1356980694' post='6144109']
[quote name='Troyefl' timestamp='1356975488' post='6143689']
I will be traveling to LV in June, what is the must play for my first round of golf in Vegas?
I was thinking Bali Hai.
[/quote]

Definitely take the drive out to Mesquite and play Wolf Creek! Course is tough (IMO), but the experience is worth it.
[/quote]

Save yourself money and don't play wolf creek, they lost all their greens over summer so the course is in even worse shape than it normally is.

[quote name='SkyyDesigns' timestamp='1357009127' post='6146239']
Wolf is really a sik course with elevation that makes it a must ride in a cart course. My fav. 2 courses in LV are by far the Wynn and Shadow Creek. Shadow is in my top 10 list, and even tho very pricey it's well worth it as the layout and service are top notch. I always stay at the Wynn so most naturally I played there the most. Beautiful and well taken care of, coming up 18 always makes me want to play it again. We're goin up in March and I'm sacrificing a round to go see a Cirque show, so only 1 round and it will most likely be at the Wynn.
[/quote]

We usually try to see a couple of shows each trip although we didn't this time. I've seen most of the Cirque shows except the newest ones. They are enjoyable.

Ya same here only one we havent seen is O at the Bellagio. Le Reve has been my fav out of all of them. We plan on goin to eat out and see a show, so had to sacrifice my $500 round for the wifey. Lakeside at the Wynn is one of my fav spots to eat, I recommend it to anyone who takes a trip to Vegas, really good food and overlooks a lake with free shows that really make the experience ideal. Plan on just playin at the Wynn, but I really wanted to check out Bear's Best...been told its a cool track with all of Nicklaus's fav holes.

SLDR 430 TP 9* Matrix Ozik 7m3 X
SLDR TP/RBZ Tour P 15* & 19* 7m3 X
TaylorMade MB 3-9 KBS CTaper X
Titleist Vokey SM4 48-54-60 KBS blk/grn
Adidas-Coach-Versace
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5

Bali Hai isnt even on my play list....little lone must play list. Its overpriced tourist trap, its only redeeming quality is that the location is convenient for people staying on the strip. You can rent a car for under $30 a day and drive to any course saving $$$ on crazy cab fees.

My order of Merit:

[b]Pauite[/b] - All three courses are on the Must play list, Wolf is much longer than the other two courses but not that much better, they are all great.

[b]Primm Lakes[/b] - Fantastic, poor mans Shadow Creek, great Fazzio track. [b]Primm Desert[/b] is a great desert courses also. Good 36 hole day option.

[b]TPC Las Vegas[/b] - Great desert course.

[b]Red Rock Arroyo[/b] - nice Arnold Palmer Track.

[b]Rio Secco[/b] - Lots of screwy holes, but worth playing. In reality, [b]Anthem Lexington/Concord[/b] is just as nice without all the shiny marketing.

[b]Boulder Creek[/b] - No one ever mentions these 27 holes but Coyote/Hawk is a great 18 holes, and possibly the best deal in town.

Driver PXG GEN4 0811x (9) / Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White
Fairway:  PXG GEN4 (13) / 14.0 

Hybrid:  PXG 0317 X  PXG GEN4 (19) / Mitsubishi MMT 80
Irons:  PXG PXG GEN4 0311 P (4 - Pw) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Wedge:  PXG Sugar Daddy Forged (50/9, 54/10 and 58/9) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Putter:  PXG Closer, 39.5" ArmLock
Ball:  Bridgestone B X
Bag:  PXG - Fairway White Camo Cary/Stand

Skyy, do check out Bears Best. We did on our trip last monh and thoroughly enjoyed the place. It was fun playing holes from other Nicklaus tracks we had played but it didn't feel like a replica course as things synced up pretty well. Black sand bunkers on the par 3's are a unique visual touch along with some very impressive desert home architecture framing the course.

One of the best bloody mary's I found on a golf course too.

[quote name='SkyyDesigns' timestamp='1357108316' post='6152193']
Ya same here only one we havent seen is O at the Bellagio. Le Reve has been my fav out of all of them. We plan on goin to eat out and see a show, so had to sacrifice my $500 round for the wifey. Lakeside at the Wynn is one of my fav spots to eat, I recommend it to anyone who takes a trip to Vegas, really good food and overlooks a lake with free shows that really make the experience ideal. Plan on just playin at the Wynn, but I really wanted to check out Bear's Best...been told its a cool track with all of Nicklaus's fav holes.
[/quote]

Good call keeping the wife happy. Mine loves the shows also. I think you will enjoy O if you liked the others. I know I am in the minority but I really enjoyed Zumanity and thought it was one of the best. I haven't seen Le Reve yet, but would like too. I really haven't seen a bad show In Vegas. I love Blue Man, Penn and Teller, and Jersey Boys. I even enjoy the smaller shows like Anthony Cools.

[quote name='mctrees02' timestamp='1357136728' post='6152855']
Skyy, do check out Bears Best. We did on our trip last monh and thoroughly enjoyed the place. It was fun playing holes from other Nicklaus tracks we had played but it didn't feel like a replica course as things synced up pretty well. Black sand bunkers on the par 3's are a unique visual touch along with some very impressive desert home architecture framing the course.

One of the best bloody mary's I found on a golf course too.
[/quote]

My buddy I go with played it years ago a couple times and always tells me we should play it. Might have to look into it next trip. So much good golf and so little time.

I'm planning on going to Vegas in May for another weekend of golf for my birthday.

Last year I played Bali Hai which i enjoyed. Only thing is I teed off later in the day for the cheaper tee time and ended up not being able to finish the course. Also go to play TPC Las Vegas which was beautiful! Except the day I went to play there was a wind storm of 30+ mph and dust was everywhere so it made it difficult to play there. I'd recommend both though.

Hoping to play Cascata this year!

Its been pretty cold here lately (for us warm weather pansies!) Nights are around freezing, and the highs are in the 40's or about 50, if the wind is blowing its cold! No wind and its not bad. As we get to February it gets warmer, and then the wind starts blowing, as it does every spring as the temps start to climb.

Driver PXG GEN4 0811x (9) / Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White
Fairway:  PXG GEN4 (13) / 14.0 

Hybrid:  PXG 0317 X  PXG GEN4 (19) / Mitsubishi MMT 80
Irons:  PXG PXG GEN4 0311 P (4 - Pw) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Wedge:  PXG Sugar Daddy Forged (50/9, 54/10 and 58/9) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Putter:  PXG Closer, 39.5" ArmLock
Ball:  Bridgestone B X
Bag:  PXG - Fairway White Camo Cary/Stand

[quote name='Bulldogdoc' timestamp='1357180159' post='6156987']
How's the golf weather in Vegas this time of year? I'm from the south and never been out there to play. What to wear?
[/quote]

The first day at Rio Secco started in the mid 40s and warmed up in the low 50s. However, there was little wind and with the way we were dressed, it was really nice. The second day at Paiute was much cooler. We had a frost delay and the wind was blowing. I think it only got to the mid 40s, but with it being breezy it was pretty cold. However, we started playing and enjoyed the course and it didn't bother us that much. It would have been better if it was 30 degrees warmer each day, but I am glad we did it and got to play those courses.

Going to Vegas at the end of February for the first time. At the moment me and the old man have all 3 Paiute courses booked. Been hearing Wolf Creek is a must? Would it be worth sacrificing a round at Paiute to drive out there for the uniqueness of it? Also seen above that the greens were lost over the summer. And for a local would i expect mid 50's to low 60's during the day at the end of February? Not that it really matters.. if I can play I'm happy!

[quote name='fulton' timestamp='1357351156' post='6170621']
Going to Vegas at the end of February for the first time. At the moment me and the old man have all 3 Paiute courses booked. Been hearing Wolf Creek is a must? Would it be worth sacrificing a round at Paiute to drive out there for the uniqueness of it? Also seen above that the greens were lost over the summer. And for a local would i expect mid 50's to low 60's during the day at the end of February? Not that it really matters.. if I can play I'm happy!
[/quote]

definitely playing all three at Paiute is overkill. Play the Wolf and then do either the Snow or Sun course and ditch the other. Then substitute either the Chase at Coyote Springs or play Wolf Creek. Whether or not the greens are exceptional is kinda not that big a deal. The topography and the uniqueness of the course is so unreal that that alone is worth the trip to play there.

[quote name='fulton' timestamp='1357351156' post='6170621']
[/quote]

We considered playing two courses at Paiute this trip, but I like a little variety. That is why we did two separate locations. I definitely want to play snow and sun mountain and probably will do one of them next time along with another new course somewhere else.

Just played Wolf Creek over xmas. Absolutely loved it. I had a ton of fun. As one poster mentioned the greens appeared to be redone to me. They were kind of grainy, but I had no problems putting on them. I was enjoying the course so much I could have cared less. This course is a definite must play. You will have just as much fun as on TW, but without the 10 under scores. Course is actually very playable and fair for that style of course. I played Falcon Ridge last xmas and enjoyed that as well. I found that some of the holes were unfair or poorly designed. This wasn't the case with Wolf Creek. Very playable.

I think most of the courses mentioned in this thread are probably going to be worth playing, so you really can't go wrong. Find the best deals and go from there.