2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

St. George golf trip scheduled!

hath27

A buddy and I have took the plunge and scheduled a trip to St. George, Utah, at the beginning of March. We booked it thru RedRockGolfTrail, and I believe we got a fair deal. We have a limited budget, and a limited schedule, so that why we are staying away from Mesquite for this trip.

Here is our itinerary:

Sky Mountain

Sandhollow Championship course

Coral Canyon

We also plan to play 9 holes at Dixie Red Hills on the same day as our Sandhollow reservation, but the service doesnt book at that course, so we will have to handle that on our own.

I was hoping to get some opinions on the courses we chose as neither of us have ever played there.

Also some reccomendations on restaurants would be greatly appreciated!!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You picked a great place to go. I tell people all the time that it's one of the most under-rated golf destinations you can find.

I've been about 10 times now and played all the courses you listed. Sand Hollow is an absolute gem and they actually have 27 holes there. In addition to the regular 18 they have a 9-hole links course. Be sure to play that. Sheep fencing, double greens, fescue -- it's a trip.

Coral Canyon is one of my favorite courses of all-time.

Dixie Red Hills is fun. It's a great tuneup course to play on your first day or a twilight 9 holes after playing one of the other courses.

I'm assuming March is still in-season(?) I know that if you go in the summer time you can get some really incredible deals with basically nobody else on the golf course (if you can stand the 100+ degree heat that is).

Have fun!

I'm jealous! We missed out on our annual trip to St. George last year. Sand Hollow is a fantastic course, as mentioned, play the links 9, doubt if you need tee times for it. We played it on a real windy day which just made it better. #1 on the Championship course must have a fairway 100 yards wide, great for that first swing. I liked Coral Canyon, just didn't feel very welcome there by the staff or marshall. Too bad Kokopelli closed, it was a trip. Haven't played Sky Mountain because they are overseeding when we are there.

If you like Mexican food, eat at Carlitos, good stuff.

Should be a good time to visit, the Weather in March is about perfect barring any spring storms. If you have time for another round check out Green Springs. It is not far from Coral Canyon. usually has a good twilight rate and is one of the more challenging courses in the area, less of a resort course that Sand Hollow or Coral Canyon. Also, if you fly into Vegas look into Falcon Ridge in Mesquite. It is usually a little cheaper than some of the other Mesquite courses and IMO is a fun course to play, giving you a small taste of what Wolf Creek looks like, remember I said small. Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for the replies. Yes, March is considered "prime" season, so its a bit pricier than in the summer. We are driving from Colorado for the trip (can you say "roadtrip!!!") and will be hitting Redlands Mesa in Grand Junction on the return journey as the last hurrah for the vacation if the weather works in our favor.
81 holes of golf, 655 miles of driving each way, all in 4-1/2 days... Whewww!!!

Any more food/drink reccomendations?

You picked some good courses. I usually play down in St George a couple times a year now and it's a hidden gem for golf. We do a road trip down there in early April. I've got you beat on distance though. Our drive is 1351 miles. Ten rounds in five days.

Sand Hollow championship is a great course. Take your camera for the back 9. If you are looking to play another nine it's probably worth playing the 9 hole links course out a sand hallow as well. They should be able to get you a deal if you're playing all 27 in a day. Here are some pictures I took

[attachment=1507211:Sand Hollow 8.JPG]
[attachment=1507217:Sand Hollow 46.JPG]
[attachment=1507219:Sand Hollow 51.JPG]
[attachment=1507215:Sand Hollow 32.JPG]
[attachment=1507213:Sand Hollow 21.JPG]

Coral Canyon is another good one. Probably my second favourite behind Sand Hollow for the St George area. Sunbrook, another good one, has 27 holes so you could also pick 9 from there as well.

I can't help you out much on food though. I have too many food allergies to allow me to eat out lots. I stick to the Cracker Barrel and Golden Coral is cheap with good food when your tired after playing two rounds of golf.

Enjoy the golf.

[quote name='dirtyboy' timestamp='1359288006' post='6307271']
Entrada has several holes going through a lava field and can be very hot if it its warm. Do any other St. George courses have lava?

We also enjoyed Ledges which is now Valdosta. Great area for golf.
[/quote]

I think Sunbrook has Lava on the back side...it was a course that started with a S and had homes on it. No where near the amount of Lava rocks as Entrada though

• 1 month later...

Don't know how I missed this thread. I live in ST Geo. when not traveling.

Most of the courses are in pretty good shape. Play the links course at
sand Hollow instead of Red Hills.

Just had a storm roll through but will fine Sunday and great Monday.

Shoot me a PM if I can help with anything/recommendations

Edit: Be kind to the incredibly beautiful cart girl at Coral Canyon...

She's my daughter.

[quote name='idrive' timestamp='1362884605' post='6581105']
Don't know how I missed this thread. I live in ST Geo. when not traveling.

Most of the courses are in pretty good shape. Play the links course at
sand Hollow instead of Red Hills.

Just had a storm roll through but will fine Sunday and great Monday.

Shoot me a PM if I can help with anything/recommendations

Edit: Be kind to the incredibly beautiful cart girl at Coral Canyon...

She's my daughter.

[/quote]

So now I'm going through the many times I have played Coral Canyon and I am wondering if I have been anything other than a gentleman......

Should be great weather this week. I haven't played Sand Hollow in a while but I think that Coral Canyon has suffered from the cold few weeks in January. It hasn't really started to green up yet. I agree that you should play the 9 hole links course above Red Hills.

We returned from our 1st St George trip yesterday, and I will say that its an impressive place. We arrived Thursday night amidst rain and snow to a stay in the Trvelodge in Hurricane. (note: dont stay here)
On Friday morning we played Sky Mountain, it was 45 degrees, cloudy, but the staff was very friendly. We arrived about an hour before our tee time, and they got us out early during a lull in some tournement they were hosting. The course was decently green, the greens were in good shape, overall it was a great experience. The course has some amazing views, some really neat holes and very friendly marshals. We were checked on multiple times by the marshals, and all were very gracious that we were there, and even offered advice on where else to play next. A couple things that I didnt enjoy was dealing with the absurd amount of broken tee's at tee boxes, and the huge amount of bird poop at a couple holes.
Since we got done a bit early, we traveled down the road towards St George, and stopped at Green Springs GC. It was too late to play 18, so we decided to play just the front 9. Green springs was in really good condition, staff was friendly, and was not busy at all. It has two signature holes that are a must play on the front 9 over a canyon. One note, we walked it, and these two holes will take the steam right out of you if you walk it! Take a cart, you will enjoy the experience more.
On Sunday, we travelled over to Dixie Red Hills for 9 holes. This place is a jewel!! We played with a local (Chuck) that gave us alot of great advice on ball placement,etc. It was very helpful, as this course has some amazing dogleg holes! Dixie was in amazing condition, best of all courses we played. Dixie has a municipal feel, lots of walkers, so play can be a bit slow, but the views are great to look at while you wait out a group to finish.
Sunday afternoon we travelled out to Sandhollow Resort. We were met by very friendly staff that took our bags, and got our cart ready while we checked in. At the 1st tee, the starter gave us alot of great information about the course, helpful hints and a few laughs too. The wind was a bit gusty out on the flats, and the course was much drier than any other location we played so far, so the greens were speedy! This course starts out flat and more flat. Huge, HUGE bunkers, with more mud/hard-pack than sand. They are tough!! The grass was a bit dormant, as were the greens. As we made the turn on to the back 9, we were met with the views everyone sees in the pictures. Truly amazing holes to play. Tough carries, intimidating pin placements, it was brutal for a hack like me! Overall, a good course, average conditions, amazing views, and neat holes on the back nine. One disappointing note, we finished our round a bit after 5pm, and we planned on sitting out on the patio with a cervesa or two and enjoy the views. But the snackbar was closed???
Monday morning we traveled out to Coral Canyon for 18 holes. We were scheduled to tee off at 8:06, but were delayed about an hour for a frost delay. The backup caused a overcrowding issue on the practice facilities where we were basically forced to wait in line to hit balls. The driving range is small, maybe 12 slots and was very beat up! Practically no grass to hit from, all dirt. Very dissapointing. We travelled to the first tee at 9am to see if we were playing yet, and the marshals got us right in place. Apparently a members club? plays Monday mornings, and we were slipped in between two groups of the members. As we patiently waited to tee off, we could hear alot of members questioning the marshals why we were getting to play during their game. This was very frustrating to hear. We finally teed off, and were met with the most amazing course we have played yet! It is in absolutley awesome condition, it was clean, the bunkers were raked and the greens played tough! Awesome elevation changes, well placed bunkers, and beautiful views. The fluffy sand bunkers were the best conditioned bunkers I have ever played from, and I play the sand alot!! And yes, the absolutely gorgeous cart girl was very friendly and came by multiple times during our round. We finished our round, had a beer and a burger out on the patio and talked with the more of the friendly staff, and a few other players talked with us and even thanked us for playing there! Overall, it was a great experience. They do have alot of older gentlemen playing there, and a select few seem to feel that outsiders dont belong there.
Due to the delay at CC, we could not meet our planned trip to St George GC, so we packed it up and got an early start on the roadtrip back to Colorado and all the snow.
We chose not to play Redlands Mesa in Grand Junction on Teusday, as we both had our fill of golf and travel, and wanted to get home to our families.
In conclusion, I would rate the courses we played in the following order:[list=1]
[*]Coral Canyon
[*]Dixie Red Hills
[*]Sky Mountain
[*]Sand Hollow
[*]Green Springs
[/list]
I would play all of them again, but I will focus on Coral Canyon and Dixie next time we visit. My views and opinions may differ from most, as I am a 23 handicap player. I play Colorado courses, and I love Jim Engh courses in particular. So I may not fit the mold and thats why I didnt walk away from Sand Hollow with amazement. Four Mile Ranch in Canon City, CO is every bit as amazing as some of these St George courses, and is FAR more affordable. Playing in St George has given me more appreciation of how great we have golf in Colorado! We have amazing courses, amazing views, and our courses are very affordable!!

I'm headed to St. George in a couple of weeks. This thread has been very helpful! Thanks guys.

I've played Sand Hollow a couple of years ago but that was in Feb and everything was pretty dormant at the time. Looking forward to playing some of these spots with green grass and live greens...

Also played 9 at Sunbrook I think. I'll try to avoid that place in the future.