Member Review: KZG H370 Tour Hybrid

First thanks to GolfWRX and KZG for the chance to test the H370 Tour Hybrid! I was given the 18* to test with the shaft of my choice, the Aerotech SteelFiber i80 in Stiff.

Pro's

The look of the head is exactly what I like in a hybrid, small and slightly open. The club has got a nice weight to being heavier than some other hybrids I have played. The extra weight helped especially in the rough. The flight was mid with very low spin which made it a great club in the wind. Having a slightly open face angle also helped keep the dreaded hook out of play which seems to be a problem I have with hybrids.

Con's

Although I loved the looks and feel of the club, for me it seemed to lack in distance. With the 18* I was consistently getting it out there in 210 range which is about 10 yards less than I expected. The low spin and mid launch also made it hard to hold greens. I will probably pull the shaft and go with something that is higher launch and mid spin. I’ve played these shafts before with no problem but this is a low spin head.

Bottom Line

For the better player, this hybrid is a solid performer and gives you the ability to work the ball easily. Fitting will be critical with this club as it seems to need a higher launching shaft to make the best use out of it. Off the tee on a dry day this thing goes forever and it glides through the rough with relative ease. But if you’re looking for a club that provides significant carry and stops this isn’t for you.

Big Review

Per KZG, the H370 Tour is designed for competitive players who want a hybrid that delivers maximum ball speed yet still offers workability. The cup face is made from an exclusive forged maraging alloy that was originally designed for military applications. This is without a doubt the hottest face of any brand of hybrid that we have ever tested.

The H370 Tour’s mid profile allows for easy shotmaking and the sole design allows the clubhead to glide through most any lie. A “must have” for the better player. The 18* that I tested has a ½ degree open face angle while the 22* and 26* have a square face. The H370 Tour takes a .370 tip shaft.

Look

You’d be hard pressed to find a better looking classic hybrid head. It’s very simple in a rounded design with no bells or whistles……just designed to work. In the new age of golf club marketing, it’s nice to see a more traditional club.

Performance / Playability

The H370 Tour works well out the rough or off the tee with a penetrating flight. I played this club on a windy day (20 mph + winds) and the ball just bored right through the wind. I could play it in the back of my stance and flight it low and could hit draws and fades easily. This is a great club for mid summer as a fairway finder that rolls forever.

Feel

This is hands down the best part of the club. When struck solidly, the club feels very dense and meaty. It’s also a very quiet club and barely makes a noise when caught clean. If you mishit this, you can definitely feel it……this is a players club, not the most forgiving thing I’ve hit.

Overall Bottom Line

For single handicaps looking for a workable no frills hybrid that can be flighted easily, this is a great choice. If you have problems hitting the ball low go up in loft on this thing as it’s a rocket launcher. I normally am a high ball hitter and I was hitting mid launching lasers. All in all, a solid hybrid for the better player.

Titleist 915D2 9.5* Rogue Black 95MSI 60S
Callaway XHot Pro 15* Project X 6.5
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 2 Iron C-Taper X
Bridgeston J40CB 3-PW Project X 6.0
Ping Anser 54*,60* Project X 6.0
Taylormade Imola 8 35"

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As with any club, the performance would obviously be effected by a different shaft. However, I've played this shaft before in other clubs and normally have a mid to high ballflight with mid spin.

This head is low spin and low launch. Just wanted to make sure for anybody that orders one to consider that before selecting a shaft. I've been using this club as a fairway finder on tight holes and it's worked out really well.

Titleist 915D2 9.5* Rogue Black 95MSI 60S
Callaway XHot Pro 15* Project X 6.5
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 2 Iron C-Taper X
Bridgeston J40CB 3-PW Project X 6.0
Ping Anser 54*,60* Project X 6.0
Taylormade Imola 8 35"

• 6 months later...

I play the 18 and 22 degree H370. I play a Fujikura Motore stiff 90 gram shaft in both. Both were custom fit by a builder here in Denver. I am a 5 handicap. Unlike most players I do not carry a 3 wood or a driver, which is highly unusual. I am so consistent with the hybrids that there is no reason to put a longer club in my hand. I shot a 74 today and was only out hit by 10-20 yards on a few holes when my competitors hit their very best drives of the day. Admittedly I am unable to keep up with the big hitters my age, but I am so consistent hitting greens and fairways that I tend to stick around and be a thorn in their side in competition. I am able to hit both clubs high, low, left and right. I average 230 with the 18 degree off the tee and 215 with the 22 degree. It is not unusual for me to get 245 yards out of the 18 degree and 225 yards out of the 22 (3-4x out of 10). I may not be the best player to compare against as I am a very good hybrid player and it is the basis of my game.

The look of each club is impeccable and the quality of each is top knotch. I've been playing the hybrids for almost a year and over 50 rounds and both appear brand new. (I've played Tour Exotics, Taylormade, Nike, and Titleist and nothing compares to the quality - the scratches and blemishes on the others were noticeable - after just 10 rounds or so. It's not just me. I notice the same when I look at clubs belonging to friends. The statement regarding feedback is also right on. A bad shot is properly punished and a good one rewarded, but the feeling in the hands leaves little doubt as to what was the cause. (This assumes you get lessons and keep on top of what you are supposed to be working on) With some practice it is easy to keep bad shots to a minimum and work toward acceptable misses.

The other great thing about the H370 is that when you take effort off the swing and focus on quality of contact you still get a nice spring effect that predictably rips the ball down the fairway. They're just a very pleasant club to play.

Most people I play with have no idea what KZG even is, which is fine with me. I let the clubs do the talking. My club whore days ended when I found KZG. You can't find a better product out there that is custom fit like the pros. I play the tour evolution irons and the H370 hybrids. I carry only one club which is not KZG: a Nike Method 002 putter 33".