Low price point GPS vs Phone App

I've been considering a lower price GPS, but I'm wondering if these units are really any more effective then a phone app. The only ones I'm considering currently are units that are under $200 currently and require no subscription fee. That leaves the units listed below. Can any speak to any of these units vs a phone gps app?

Bushnell neo

Bushnell neo+

Callaway Upro MX+

Garmin G3

Garmin Approach S1

Golfbuddy Voice

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an Iphone app (Mobiteee, daily deal got it free). When compared to any other GPS it's been up against, it worked as good or better.

The only issue is the GPS app eats up your battery. It still lasts 18 holes or more, but you have like 10-20% left on #18.

I prefer and use my laser, but that's a whole 'nuther thread......

mobitee-meilleur-assistant-gps-golfeurs-sur-i-L-2.jpeg

X________________________________ Sign Here

Thanks for the responses guys. I already have a phone app that I have previously used and it works pretty well. I'm aware of the battery situation, and it hasn't really been a bother because I just charge the phone on the way to and from the course in my car. I also am currently not playing in any tournaments, so I'm not worried about that.

I'm really just looking for opinions of anyone that switched from a phone app to a GPS, or the other way around. Was the GPS more accurate? Provide more info? Faster? Wroth the money?

[quote name='displayname' timestamp='1360328499' post='6386955']

Was the GPS more accurate? [color=#ff0000][size=5][b]NO[/b][/size][/color]

Provide more info? [color=#ff0000][size=5][b]NO[/b][/size][/color]

Faster? [color=#ff0000][size=5][b]NO[/b][/size][/color]

Wroth the money? [color=#ff0000][size=5][b]NO[/b][/size][/color]
[/quote]

[quote name='Hateto3Putt' timestamp='1360350074' post='6389235']
[quote name='displayname' timestamp='1360328499' post='6386955']
Was the GPS more accurate? [color=#ff0000][size=5][b]NO[/b][/size][/color]

Provide more info? [color=#ff0000][size=5][b]NO[/b][/size][/color]

Faster? [color=#ff0000][size=5][b]NO[/b][/size][/color]

Wroth the money? [color=#ff0000][size=5][b]NO[/b][/size][/color]
[/quote]
[/quote]

That is exactly the type of info I was looking for! Thanks Hateto3Putt. I guess I'll save the cash... or buy more equipment... or maybe be smart and take a lesson or two.

My answer to your four questions would be yes to all four. I would place the uPro MX+ above any iPhone app. The Skycaddie SGXw is the best out there but based on what you are looking for, I would select the Callaway.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='esketores' timestamp='1360325776' post='6386821']
If you happen to be playing in tournaments... the phone gps is illegal under USGA rules.
[/quote]Yes, it is. As is carrying a smartphone during such a round. As is turning in a round for handicap purposes if you have a smartphone with you.

Please turn yourself in if you do such a thing, as you are violating the Rules of Golf. :busted_cop:

EDIT - review of the May 2012 Rules of Golf update shows this post to be [b]in error.[/b] You may carry a smartphone with you so long as you [b]only[/b] use it to make phone calls and to access the Rules of Golf app.

[quote name='MaxBuck' timestamp='1360377829' post='6392175']
If you happen to be playing in tournaments... the phone gps is illegal under USGA rules.
[/quote]Yes, it is. As is carrying a smartphone during such a round. As is turning in a round for handicap purposes if you have a smartphone with you.

Please turn yourself in if you do such a thing, as you are violating the Rules of Golf. :busted_cop:
[/quote]

Not true. [url="http://www.usga.org/uploadedFiles/USGAHome/equipment/DMD%20flowchartv1-3.pdf"]http://www.usga.org/...owchartv1-3.pdf[/url]

To the OP, if you are happy with your smartphone, then use it. If you ever played in a tournament, bring this flow chart and confirm it with the local ruling committee.

The Garmin S1 has gotten huge praise from users. Just read the reviews on Amazon, Golfsmith, Golf Galaxy, and TGW etc.

I played with a guy who was using the Garmin watch (S1 I think) and it seemed like it was really easy to use and convenient. A simple front/center/back reading is all you really need, unless it's a blind shot. But I like getting a yardage to the hazards too, so the watch has its limits. I hated using my phone so I switched to a laser.

Titleist 910D2 9.5* Tour Issue
TEE XCG7 15*
Srixon Z545 4-PW
Vokey SM6 46* 50* 54* 58*
John Byron DaleHead 2

[quote name='Andy L' timestamp='1360385978' post='6392865']

[/quote]

Not true. [url="http://www.usga.org/uploadedFiles/USGAHome/equipment/DMD%20flowchartv1-3.pdf"]http://www.usga.org/...owchartv1-3.pdf[/url]

To the OP, if you are happy with your smartphone, then use it. If you ever played in a tournament, bring this flow chart and confirm it with the local ruling committee.

The Garmin S1 has gotten huge praise from users. Just read the reviews on Amazon, Golfsmith, Golf Galaxy, and TGW etc.
[/quote]

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT believe anyone that tells you that phone apps are conforming. There are a number of phone app fanboys that will twist and turn the rule to make it appear that phone apps are conforming. DO NOT BELIEVE THEM. All phones have the same problem the Leupold GX-4 / GX-4i has in making the phone non-conforming. The phone has hardware and functions built into the OS that are non-conforming. And just like the Leupold GX-4(i), by the fact it has it, regardless if the function cannot be accessed, it is non-conforming. If the Leupold GX-4(i) at some point declared conforming, phones might have a shot at being declared conforming. If you not like the rule, take it to the USGA and try and get the rule rewritten for the 2016 rules update.

Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1360425307' post='6394149']
DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT believe anyone that tells you that phone apps are conforming. There are a number of phone app fanboys that will twist and turn the rule to make it appear that phone apps are conforming. DO NOT BELIEVE THEM. All phones have the same problem the Leupold GX-4 / GX-4i has in making the phone non-conforming. The phone has hardware and functions built into the OS that are non-conforming. And just like the Leupold GX-4(i), by the fact it has it, regardless if the function cannot be accessed, it is non-conforming. If the Leupold GX-4(i) at some point declared conforming, phones might have a shot at being declared conforming. If you not like the rule, take it to the USGA and try and get the rule rewritten for the 2016 rules update.
[/quote]

Thats true, unfortunately, it took the USGA some time to bring clarity to the issue, as they did about a year ago. Until that time, many of us "[b]fanboys[/b]" mis-interpreted the ruling. No reason to be demeaning. I think for the most part, we get it now...

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

The OP started this thread with this thought....

[quote name='displayname' timestamp='1360300195' post='6386185']
I've been considering a lower price GPS, but I'm wondering if these units are really any more effective then a phone app.
[/quote]

10 posts later, we're all fanboys, liars and rule-breakers......

[quote name='kevcarter' timestamp='1360425840' post='6394187']
[/quote]

Thats true, unfortunately, it took the USGA some time to bring clarity to the issue, as they did about a year ago. Until that time, many of us "[b]fanboys[/b]" mis-interpreted the ruling. No reason to be demeaning. I think for the most part, we get it now...

Kevin
[/quote]

The fact you get it does not make you a fanboy or the reason to use upper case. There are still people that do not get it. They still think it is because there is a compass or a weather app. They do not realize the hardware and software in the phone that allows you to control games by the movement or direction of the phone, is what makes the phone non-conforming as defined by the USGA.

Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1360429444' post='6394521']
The fact you get it does not make you a fanboy or the reason to use upper case. There are still people that do not get it. They still think it is because there is a compass or a weather app. They do not realize the hardware and software in the phone that allows you to control games by the movement or direction of the phone, is what makes the phone non-conforming as defined by the USGA.
[/quote]

You lost me with that post. From the USGA website:

[left][b]Q. What About Multi-Functional Devices, Such As A Mobile Phone, With A Distance-Measuring Application?[/b][/left]

[left][color=#000000][size=3]A. On the course, subject to any club or course regulations, a multi-functional device may be used to phone, text, access the Internet or e-mail – provided the purpose is not a breach of the Rules, e.g. you are not asking for advice or accessing an application which gauges, measures or reports conditions that might affect a player’s play. Using the device for any prohibited function would result in disqualification.[/size][/color][/left]

[left][color=#000000][size=3]When an application that measures distance has been downloaded to the device, the application must be restricted to providing only distance information in order to conform to the Local Rule. [b]If there are any other features or applications on the phone that gauge or measure other conditions that might affect a player’s play, such as a temperature gauge, compass or anemometer, this would render the device non-conforming regardless of whether these features or applications are used or not.[/b] If such features or applications exist, use of the distance-measuring application would result in disqualification. The device could still be used for other permitted purposes as described above.[/size][/color][/left]

[left][color=#000000][size=3]If the device contains applications specifically intended to access the Internet to gather information regarding conditions that might affect a player’s play such as the local wind speed or temperature, these applications must not be used, but the device may still be used for distance measurement or other permissible uses.[/size][/color][/left]

[left][color=#000000][size=3]If the device contains general purpose applications which access the Internet such as a browser, the applications may be used so long as they are not used to access information regarding conditions that might affect a player’s play. The device may still be used for distance measurement.[/size][/color][/left]

[left][color=#000000][size=3]If the device has a weather application that is active on the home page of the device and that shows the temperature or other weather information when the device is accessed for any reason, the player is in breach of Rule 14-3 and would be disqualified.[/size][/color][/left]

[left][color=#000000][size=3]The [url="http://www.usga.org/uploadedFiles/USGAHome/equipment/DMD%20flowchartv1-3.pdf"]flowchart[/url]provided also covers the use of multi-functional devices and should be of assistance in determining whether a particular device is permissible or not. [/size][/color][/left]

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

The functions in the phone that games use will also tell direction and slope. The feature that games use to sense the tilt of the phone is used in apps to tell the break of a green.

Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1360430841' post='6394689']
The functions in the phone that games use will also tell direction and slope. The feature that games use to sense the tilt of the phone is used in apps to tell the break of a green.
[/quote]

Yep, a green reading function would render it non-conforming as well. My apps don't have that, but it's a moot point since the compass on the iPhone can't be deleted making it non conforming as a distance device.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I know this may come as a shock to some Skygolf and iPhone fanboys, but actually android os (at least gingerbread and Ice cream sandwich on HTC and Samsung) don't have the compass hard coded, so by reference of the USGA flowchart they should be fine.

To the OP, if you aren't golfing in any tournaments then use your phone app if you like it. There is NOTHING WRONG WITH IT!
If you want to buy a good GPS, the Garmin G3 is a good bet at that price. 88% of purchasers at Golfsmith would recommend it to a friend compared to 67% SGXw or 33% for upromx. The others you listed are fine, but the S1 beat them all in customer ratings. I don't have a G3 but I have a friend that does and it's very nice, especially at under $200. If you read the reviews on websites like TGW, Golfsmith, Golf Galaxy, Amazon, you'll see the garmin line is tough to beat.

If you want to buy a good GPS, the Garmin G3 is a good bet at that price. 88% of purchasers at Golfsmith would recommend it to a friend compared to 67% SGXw or 33% for upromx. The others you listed are fine, but the S1 beat them all in customer ratings. I don't have a G3 but I have a friend that does and it's very nice, especially at under $200. If you read the reviews on websites like TGW, Golfsmith, Golf Galaxy, Amazon, you'll see the garmin line is tough to beat.

Based on those parameters he should buy the Bushnell v2 then.. It's recommended by 100%

Overall Rating

rating.png

5 out of 5

openRatingsHistogram.gif

(8 Reviews)

Write a Review

100%of reviewers recommend this.

[quote name='Andy L' timestamp='1360447191' post='6395955']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I know this may come as a shock to some Skygolf and iPhone fanboys, but actually android os (at least gingerbread and Ice cream sandwich on HTC and Samsung) don't have the compass hard coded, so by reference of the USGA flowchart they should be fine.

[/quote]

Thanks for proving my point about phone apps fanboys and showing they just do not get the fact it is not about the apps but about the internal hardware and OS software.

Callaway Chrome Soft

I used phone gps apps for a while but i would get irritated with having an empty battery after every round. I ended up getting a bushnell gps watch and its been a super good move imo. I rather have a gps device than my phone for that reason alone. The watch is super convenient and i never have to pull my phone out of my pocket or walk to the cart to check it out.

TM, Apparently you can't comprehend that some phones are compliant. The usga flow chart says it all. You've repeatedly demonstrated that you're a blind skygolf fanboy, possibly with a stake in the company. Your blanket, over the top response at 1055AM on 2/9 with CAPS "DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT" is simply incorrect, illogical and more importantly irrelevant to the OP (displayname).

You seem to have issues with logic and facts. Just like the time you tried to tie the sunk costs of a phone and rate plan to the overall costs of the golf GPS app vs the cost of skycaddie ownership with a ridiculous annual fee in a feeble attempt to show that the skycaddie is less expensive. Nice try but you ultimately left with your tail between your legs because your logic violated every rule of accounting and practicality.

Based on those parameters he should buy the Bushnell v2 then.. It's recommended by 100%

Overall Rating

rating.png

5 out of 5

openRatingsHistogram.gif

(8 Reviews)

Write a Review

100%of reviewers recommend this.

If he wanted a laser, yes. But that's not what he's wants.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I did get a quite a lesson on the rules from this with details I had not idea about actually.

To be honest though, I've been riding in carts which have GPS for the past year, and I'm switching back to walking. I just need a device for measuring since my club has a GPS in every cart, they don't have hardly any yardage markers. I just need something that works for my normal causal play. Plain and simple. If/when tourneys come up, I'll consider a dedicated GPS. Given the functionality feedback (not the rules debate), I think I'll just use the phone for now until I can get someone to gift me one on some sort of holiday.

But thank you everyone for all the feedback, links, and setting me straight on the rules. The flowchart was a huge help on clarification!

Getting in late on this one.

Had a golfbuddy pro.
Got a v2 laser
Sold the gb pro
Got a mx pro +
Regretted selling the golf buddy pro
Downloaded golf logix for android
Dont like using my phone
Love the v2 but get 2 recharable battery and charger
Looking at getting a gps watch
May wait till they come out with a watch that has hazzards for 200.
S3 i think has some but at 400 i would try the sky caddie at that price

All the gps devices and apps have some variance.
I like using the cart gps to compare between the hand held and the lasr.

I love the laser and only want the gps device to compare quickky for club selection.

Cheers

Cheers

I have a Neo + and can't be happier. It's small, battery will easily last 10+ rounds, all courses are preloaded. Anything stored for the course can be adjusted, if the green yardages are off, you can mark the front, center, back of the green, want to create a preferred layup point, couple of selections and 10s later everything is updated/stored like you want it.