2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Most Unique Golf Hole Ever Played

I have a few in mind, but the one I'll go with is the 15th at Riverview Golf Course in Newton Falls Ohio it is a double dogleg with a river that runs along the right side it requires a narrow landing area where you have to get out like 200-210 or else you will end up in the river or be blocked because of a nearly 90 degree turn left then you can blast a 200 yard shot up and have around 100-120 to the pin but if your second shot goes right the river collects into a lake like area short of the green for about 100 yards, sorry I'm a horrible describer.

List the course, hole number if you can remember, and city and state etc. (I would like to look them up).

Thanks Guys hope this interests you.

Ping G Elements Chrome 5F4
Srixon F65 17 Stock Stiff

Ben Hogan VKTR+ 18 Stock Recoil

Titleist AP2 716 DG SL TI S300 4-PW

Titleist SM5 Tour Chrome 50/08 F, 54/10 M and SM7 58/14 K Grind S300

Taylormade Ghost Tour Black Indy

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#18 Olympic Club- Lake: Tight fairway with less than driver off of the tee. Then a second shot straight up the hill to a green the size of a VW Bug with bunkers on three sides.

The television coverage didn't give this hole justice. But the killer is that after 18 long and hilly holes, you have to climb the amphitheater to the clubhouse...one last kick in the crotch from the OC.

I'll try to remember yhis because it has been 10 years and I swore that I'd neve go back. I might have to someday to verify my distaste. This is one of many on the course, I believe it's the 4th hole. Par 5 with lake on the left that comes into play at the dogleg at 220. At that point, with a iron lay up, there is another 160 yd lay up , as the lake and tree come into play. From there you have another 175 in. I played it 4 iron, 8 iron, 6 iron. I don't think there is a risk reward situation here . Bad hole. Another hole was a dogleg left that was blind. I set up for a draw and over hooked it. I find the ball in the right rough.??? - no trees to bounce off of. The course is hickory ridge in Holley ny,

[quote name='LaBraeGolfer' timestamp='1362700505' post='6567105']
I have a few in mind, but the one I'll go with is the 15th at Riverview Golf Course in Newton Falls Ohio it is a double dogleg with a river that runs along the right side it requires a narrow landing area where you have to get out like 200-210 or else you will end up in the river or be blocked because of a nearly 90 degree turn left then you can blast a 200 yard shot up and have around 100-120 to the pin but if your second shot goes right the river collects into a lake like area short of the green for about 100 yards, sorry I'm a horrible describer.

List the course, hole number if you can remember, and city and state etc. (I would like to look them up).

[/quote]
That would be the Snake Hole. The river winds around the entire hole, one thing about that hole is the farthest tree down the left side from the tee wasn't a big problem back in the 90's. At the time a with balata it was easily carried with a choked down 5 wood. Now, that isn't the case it is to be avoided at all cost, and the landing area really is small if you want a clear shot at green or for laying up. On your second shot your faced with two options, go for it about a 230 carry over water, the entire way, or laying up. The problem with laying up is there is an Oak tree in the fairway that you have to get by but shortly after the tree the fair way makes its second 90 degree turn this time to the right. I don't play there very much these days, last year I played there once. It is a fun course though they are like all public courses going through a bit of a tough spell. The river hasn't been to friendly to the course and has flooded it at least once a year over that past few years. Fun Hole though.

There is a rinky dink dog track in Laurel Maryland called Gunpowder Falls. It looks like some dude one day walked over his property and said, "let's put a tee here, a green there, and cut down the trees in the way." It has a hole about 310 yards long (the 16th). . .except from the tee box it drops into a valley, rises up to a crowned landing area about 175 out, drops into another valley (with a stream) and then rises again to the green. The landing area drops off on 3 sides (short -- you can't see the green and you have a crap lie, left -- you're in a hazard, long -- you're in a stream), and has trees right. It's not a long shot and it will hold a ball, but it looks from the tee like you're trying to land the golf ball on a billiard ball.

The green drops off front and right, and has two tiers and a "false right".

One interesting feature is that if you go long on the tee shot, there are a couple of "ripples" on the far side of the hill that can stop a ball and give you a flat lie from the rough from about 100 yards, instead of coming in from 140 from atop the landing area. Make a decision.

Not a great hole, but it's pretty unique.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

[quote name='Dead Solid Perfect' timestamp='1362748382' post='6570019']
[quote name='LaBraeGolfer' timestamp='1362700505' post='6567105']

[/quote]
That would be the Snake Hole. The river winds around the entire hole, one thing about that hole is the farthest tree down the left side from the tee wasn't a big problem back in the 90's. At the time a with balata it was easily carried with a choked down 5 wood. Now, that isn't the case it is to be avoided at all cost, and the landing area really is small if you want a clear shot at green or for laying up. On your second shot your faced with two options, go for it about a 230 carry over water, the entire way, or laying up. The problem with laying up is there is an Oak tree in the fairway that you have to get by but shortly after the tree the fair way makes its second 90 degree turn this time to the right. I don't play there very much these days, last year I played there once. It is a fun course though they are like all public courses going through a bit of a tough spell. The river hasn't been to friendly to the course and has flooded it at least once a year over that past few years. Fun Hole though.
[/quote]

Thanks man well, said it was my home course and high school and I was happy to get outta there with a double lol.

Like many others, it's a par 3 in Burnsville, NC at Mountain Air Country Club... I think it's #10, 200 yards about 200 feet downhill and standing on the tee bad makes you feel a little funny bc you're so high! You have to hit a 100-150 yard club depending on the wind and the ball stays in the air forever!!!! Simply breath taking!

Driver: Epic SZ 10.5 665 Speeder

3 Wood: Epic Flash 
Hybrids: Epic 3 wood and 3, 4, 5 hybrids
Irons: Yamaha Inpres X V Forged Recoil 80 
Wedges: Vokey SM7 50, PM Grind 54/11 and 58/10
Putter: Cameron 2016 Golo 3

The Dell at Lahinch. Never played a blind Par 3 that didnt seem cooky. This is a great hole. Aim at the white rock and pray.

Epic Flash SZ 8° LA Golf Red Tie 60X
Epic Flash SZ 15° Tensei blue 75X
Apex 19 hybrid 18° KBS Proto 95X
Apex 19 hybrid 20° KBS Proto 95X
Apex pro 5-PW KBS $ TAPER 130
MD4 Raw 50°, 56° KBS $ TAPER 120
PM grind 2.0 60° KBS $TAPER 120
Toulon Las Vegas 

[quote name='wholeinwon ' timestamp='1362772007' post='6572501']
Two holes come to mind for myself:

The 14th Hole at Couer D'Alene Resort, the floating green and the 6th hole at Greywolf Golf Course called "cliffhanger".
[/quote]

Ummm...you've got a hole that is waaaaay more significant much closer to home. ;)

It is rated as one of the best holes on the planet....and it never gets old.

[quote name='cdnrockies' timestamp='1362808222' post='6575919']
[quote name='wholeinwon ' timestamp='1362772007' post='6572501']
Two holes come to mind for myself:

The 14th Hole at Couer D'Alene Resort, the floating green and the 6th hole at Greywolf Golf Course called "cliffhanger".
[/quote]

Ummm...you've got a hole that is waaaaay more significant much closer to home. ;)

It is rated as one of the best holes on the planet....and it never gets old.
[/quote]

It's a phenomenal hole, but the thread was for most unique hole not best hole. A floating green that you take a boat out to and hitting over a canyon with a green that drops off a cliff to me are more unique than 190 yard shot over a pond.

One of the best holes in the world maybe, but there are many like it in the Rockies alone.

Mine would be the 18th at TPC San Antonio Oaks Course. It was not really unique, but intimidating. It is a very long par 5 that has a weird shaped creek running through it making it hard to choose a club. When you need a wood/hybrid after your first shot, you question yourself as that wood or hybrid will land you right into the creek but if you lay up you will probably end up with a 6+ on that hole.

[quote]
It's a phenomenal hole, but the thread was for most unique hole not best hole. A floating green that you take a boat out to and hitting over a canyon with a green that drops off a cliff to me are more unique than 190 yard shot over a pond.

One of the best holes in the world maybe, but there are many like it in the Rockies alone.
[/quote]

LOL!

If you think that there are other holes like the Cauldron elsewhere in the Rockies...nevermind the rest of the world... you are delusional. There isn't a hole like it with the elevation, views, green, bunkering, etc. There frankly isn't anything better you could do with that piece of mountain real estate. How can you acknowledge that it's one of the best holes in the world but not unique?

The hole at Coeur D'Alene is unique...but as a golf hole is a joke. Massive green with a short iron. Yay...you get to ride in a boat. Course is lame overall. The Greywolf hole is an excellent golf hole and definitely unique but the Cauldron is still better and more unique. ;)

[quote name='cdnrockies' timestamp='1362882923' post='6580891']
[quote]

[/quote]

LOL!

If you think that there are other holes like the Cauldron elsewhere in the Rockies...nevermind the rest of the world... you are delusional. There isn't a hole like it with the elevation, views, green, bunkering, etc. There frankly isn't anything better you could do with that piece of mountain real estate. How can you acknowledge that it's one of the best holes in the world but not unique?

The hole at Coeur D'Alene is unique...but as a golf hole is a joke. Massive green with a short iron. Yay...you get to ride in a boat. Course is lame overall. The Greywolf hole is an excellent golf hole and definitely unique but the Cauldron is still better and more unique. ;)
[/quote]

I acknowledge it's not unique because I've played countless hole like it...just naming a very quick few. They don't have the "mystic" of one of Canada's most known courses but are every bit as spectacular.

4th Mount Kidd Kananaskis, elevated tee shot, over water, rockies in the background and all around you bunker short, back and right, water short, back, left... (bunkering check, elevation check, views check)
16th Mount Kidd Kananaskis, very elevated tee shot, surrounded by bunkers, hitting right into about 4 mountain peaks (elevation check, views check, bunkering check)
9th at JPL "Cleopatra" which in my opinion is the best Par 3 I've ever played, elevated tee shot, only place to hit it is the green which is like a soupbowl, bunkering all around(elevation check, views check, bunkering check)

The 14th at CDA isn't a short iron? It plays 218 from the tips, not sure how long you hit it but I doubt that's a short iron for you...Again, not once did I say it was a good hole.

Again the TOPIC is UNIQUE holes. Since I can name 3 similar holes without even thinking about it, name me 3 holes that you take a boat and hit to a floating green...is it a good hole? absolutely not...

UNIQUE, if you want to talk about BEST holes feel free to create a new topic.

[quote name='wholeinwon ' timestamp='1362886582' post='6581313']
[quote]

[/quote]

LOL!

[/quote]

I acknowledge it's not unique because I've played countless hole like it...just naming a very quick few. They don't have the "mystic" of one of Canada's most known courses but are every bit as spectacular.

4th Mount Kidd Kananaskis, elevated tee shot, over water, rockies in the background and all around you bunker short, back and right, water short, back, left... (bunkering check, elevation check, views check)
16th Mount Kidd Kananaskis, very elevated tee shot, surrounded by bunkers, hitting right into about 4 mountain peaks (elevation check, views check, bunkering check)
9th at JPL "Cleopatra" which in my opinion is the best Par 3 I've ever played, elevated tee shot, only place to hit it is the green which is like a soupbowl, bunkering all around(elevation check, views check, bunkering check)

The 14th at CDA isn't a short iron? It plays 218 from the tips, not sure how long you hit it but I doubt that's a short iron for you...Again, not once did I say it was a good hole.

Again the TOPIC is UNIQUE holes. Since I can name 3 similar holes without even thinking about it, name me 3 holes that you take a boat and hit to a floating green...is it a good hole? absolutely not...

[/quote]

You're on crack if you think either of the Kananaskis holes or Cleopatra are "similar". I've played them all multiple times and you are obviously high.

[quote name='cdnrockies' timestamp='1362889217' post='6581509']
[quote name='wholeinwon ' timestamp='1362886582' post='6581313']
[quote]

[/quote]

LOL!

[/quote]

[/quote]

You're on crack if you think either of the Kananaskis holes or Cleopatra are "similar". I've played them all multiple times and you are obviously high.
[/quote]
Are they all evaluated tee shots? YES
Do they all have spectacular mountain views? YES

Just in your own humble opinion what makes them dissimilar? I mean obviously the big pond is different, as well as the "amphitheatre" landing area at the Cauldron, but other than that what differs the holes? The views are almost the exact same, I would argue #4 on Kidd has a much better view... And why is this one hole held in an "Augusta like" prestige to you?

You do know Mount Kidd #4 was voted best par 3 in the West, next vote that took place voted Greywolf #6 Cliffhanger as the best...so if the Cauldron is so untouchable vs any Par 3 how come it's not constantly ranked by the golfing media as "the best".

In the US when you take a list of best par 3's 90% of lists would be very similar with #7 @ Pebble, #16 @ Cypress, #17 @Sawgrass, #12 @ Augusta.

Also very intelligent response "you are on crack" and "obviously high"

[quote name='Johnny Biarritz' timestamp='1362931744' post='6583137']
The Judge at RTJ Capitol Hill has a 711 yard par 5, that was pretty unique.

7 at Pebble Beach is obviously unique.

A lot of the holes at Mike Strantz courses are very unique.

I can't narrow it down to one specific hole though as the one I think is most unique.
[/quote]
I definitely can't wait to play Tot Hill Farm it is on my bucket list, I love that designer I get sick of the north and south Courses in my area.