Saving for Pinehurst...Which one?

balladm

Dormie is not shut down. It is no longer private. Great place.
MidPines is in the process of an improvement project. When complete it will be a must play in Pinehurst.
Pine Needles is great. Year round.
Save your money. Play No 2 with a caddy. You will probably only do it once.
I love No 8. I was told they are going to redo the greens this summer after the spring season. Champions or Mini Verde I don't know which. They are putting Mini Verde on MidPines.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played TPC Deere Run a week before the tournament last year and swore I would never do that again. The stands take away from the beauty of the course and unless you like the sounds of drills and hammers, it's a royal pain. Add the 3-4 guys in the greenside bunkers when you're hitting your approach shots and its just way too much. I'd rather play the course without all the distractions.

Balladm - don't go now, it's prime tourist season. All the rates are at their peak, you can do better come June.

I'd say Pine Needles is more bang for the buck than any of the Pinehurst courses, but #4 and #8 are terrific, and #1 & #5 (at the lowest rate) are the most underrated. Wherever you decide to play, make sure you say you're active military when you call to ask for rates/a tee time.

BTW, Mid Pines will be closed from 5/18 until the end of August to renovate the greens. And the Dormie Club is not closed.

BB, contact Forest Creek and ask to play? Give me a break. Anyone not friends with a member, or with some great connection (eg. on the USGA board of directors) has about a snowball's chance in Hades of getting on.

Speaking of connections, Maples Golf has the best in the area. All you out-of-staters will do better getting a package through them than booking courses on your own.

Mark, Whispering Pines is a semi-private club with two courses, East (Pines) and West (River). Both very enjoyable and reasonably priced. The longer East is the championship course, but I prefer the West as having more character. I'd take either one over Tot Hill, but if you really like Tobacco Road, you might prefer that. Not nearly as quirky as TR, but another Strantz design so not your typical course either. Leave plenty of time to get there, it's in Asheboro, almost an hour's drive from Pinehurst.

Mid-pines and Pine Needles are fun Ross courses, but if you really want to play a true Ross masterpiece,play #2 and take a caddie to really understand what #2 is all about .the turtleback greens and surrounds really show Mr Ross's obsession with making 2 his finest strategic design..and also pay homage to Payne Stewart's last and possibly his greatest win in 1999 Open...it might be pricey ,but a small price for such a historic and and hallowed place...truly a bucket list course...

From a first timer who just got back from a 4 day 6 round trip, I'd say your in for a treat. Got to play Pine Needles, Dormie, Tobacco Road and #4. I'd recommend them all. Each was great in different ways. And I can see why they all made the top 100 list.

One item I'd pass along, the round at #4 was a afterthought. Went to sightsee and got to talking to the guys in the shop. They offered a "twilight" rate on #4 that I thought was really fair and having little self control, I jumped on it. Turned out to be a great time. Followed a group of members that showed us the way around, and allowed us to finish when it was getting dark. Old school class, very cool.

[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' timestamp='1363179411' post='6603021']
Talk to your bosses, then contact balladm via pm. If Pinehurst can't find a down time, to let some of our servicemen come out and experience a great course as a thank you for their service, then that's just a shame....imho.

thanks for your service balladm :fan_1:
[/quote]

Carolina Golfer as stated above the resort has traditionally been gracious in offering a military appreciation day where active military members can play for free.

[quote name='BamafaninKY' timestamp='1363191272' post='6604347']
Play #2. You'll remember if forever and regret it for years if you don't.

I'm returning to Pinehurst the first week of April. It's been 15 years. This time I'm taking my 11 year old son. To say I'm excited to spend the week with him at Pinehurst would be a huge understatement. For the other dads out there, in case you don't know already, PH has unbelievable deals for juniors. Juniors 12 and under play, stay and eat for free. Over 12, I believe they pay for meals, but stay and play free.
[/quote]

If this is the case it is surprising to me. In 2011 Juniors payed $65 on all courses but #2, where they still paid over $200. Currently if a Junior under 12 plays with a member it is free on #1-6 and $225 for #2. For Juniors 12-17 accompanied by a member the fee is $19 on #1-6 and $225 on #2.

Want to get anyone's thoughts on Talamore? Looking to book a round for 4 at a great price there before playing #2 on Sat...thanks!

D - 10.5° Paradym Ai Smoke Tensei AV Blue 55

F - 20° Paradym Heavenwood Ventus TR Blue 7
H - 22° CLK 2020 
Tensei CK Blue 80

I - 5-G JPX 923 HM KBS Tour Lite

W - 54/58 CBX2 Black Satin KBS HI-REV 2.0 115
P - Toulon Seattle w/ H1 Hosel

B - Titleist Pro V1

ALL CARRIED, DRUG OR DRIVEN IN A...BIG MAX DRi LiTe <-HYBRID-> Golf Bag

[quote name='OhioGolfDude' timestamp='1363704565' post='6643139']
Want to get anyone's thoughts on Talamore? Looking to book a round for 4 at a great price there before playing #2 on Sat...thanks!
[/quote]
It's a very good course and a fair value I feel. note: it's been over 2 years since I've played it so you might want to get some more current info. Although we had selected that for a fall trip last year that got cancelled, and the member the picked it out had seen it earlier in the year and said it was in fine shape.

It's between the Village and Pine Needles, so it's very convenient to everything.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

[quote name='OhioGolfDude' timestamp='1363704565' post='6643139']
[/quote]

You are going to be there Saturday? Me too!

We have a group that goes every year. Here are my thoughts to the op, and others:

I agree with everyone's sentiment about playing #2. Gotta do it at least once. Off season would be best and look into military discount. I would love to see a golfwrx Pinehurst member step up and take you out as a guest for your service to all of us. Just sayin'.

Someone mentioned Maples Golf Travel, we use Tobacco Road Travel. Those are pretty much the biggest games in town in terms of packages.

We love Tobacco Road. It's unique and different but fair. Tot Hill Farm is even more tricked up and not as high on our list.

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned #1. That is the original Donald Ross Pinehurst design and is a throwback to history. As is Mid Pines. Also an early Donald Ross design and worth the price of admission.

Again, Pine Needles is second only to Pinehurst #2 and is a must play. Has hosted several Women's US Opens and is usually in great shape. Staff is wonderful and the grill is awesome. We met Peggy Kirk Bell there a few years ago and she was a great host.

Dormie club is fully functional, but has now gone public. Very pricey, but on the short list of must play's in the area.

Lastly, the Southern Pines Golf Club that someone mentioned with the trailer and bum range has undergone a transformation in the last few years. We played it when it was a trailer as well, but now has a clubhouse and was in great shape last year. Also a classic Donald Ross course that we love to play. Very reasonable price for the area. We usually add it on as an afternoon round outside of the package if the weather is nice.

Talamore is okay, but a bit non-descript. I don't think they have actually used the Llama's to caddy in the last few years. They are still there in a pen, but I don't think you can have them caddy for you anymore. That would be weird anyway.

Actually, Buckeye, I mentioned Pinehurst #1 as underrated and a deal. I'm with you on Pine Needles, Mid Pines and SPGC, too. Love those Ross courses, though I'm not that big on #3, and #2 is too rich for my blood. FYI, it would be very generous for a member to bring a guest there -- guest fee for #2 is $259 accompanied and $389 unaccompanied, and that's for a full golf member. I'm also with you that Maples and Tobacco Road are 1-2 among the area's many fine packagers. Maples probably has the most juice since the family's been in the golf business here for over a century, but they can all do better than a visitor would do on his own.

Buckeye and Carolina - thanks for the feedback. Booked Talamore through GolfNow for $45 on Friday, pretty fair price it seems.

Hey Buckeye - PM me with more info, maybe we can hook up before or after #2...GO BUCKS!

H - 22° CLK 2020 
Tensei CK Blue 80

B - Titleist Pro V1

[quote name='OhioGolfDude' timestamp='1363723093' post='6645229']
Buckeye and Carolina - thanks for the feedback. Booked Talamore through GolfNow for $45 on Friday, pretty fair price it seems.

Hey Buckeye - PM me with more info, maybe we can hook up before or after #2...GO BUCKS!
[/quote]
Odd..coincidence here. I lived in North Carolina for several years and to me it's what I call home. However, I went to highschool and college in Ohio...so we've got three Buckeyes here in a way.

Enjoy the trip, any golftrip to the Sandhills is always a great time. And yes, that's a fantastic price for Talamore, this time of year.

Vokey

[quote name='act0fgod' timestamp='1363672233' post='6641749']
[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' timestamp='1363179411' post='6603021']
Talk to your bosses, then contact balladm via pm. If Pinehurst can't find a down time, to let some of our servicemen come out and experience a great course as a thank you for their service, then that's just a shame....imho.

thanks for your service balladm :fan_1:
[/quote]

Carolina Golfer as stated above the resort has traditionally been gracious in offering a military appreciation day where active military members can play for free.

[quote name='BamafaninKY' timestamp='1363191272' post='6604347']
Play #2. You'll remember if forever and regret it for years if you don't.

I'm returning to Pinehurst the first week of April. It's been 15 years. This time I'm taking my 11 year old son. To say I'm excited to spend the week with him at Pinehurst would be a huge understatement. For the other dads out there, in case you don't know already, PH has unbelievable deals for juniors. Juniors 12 and under play, stay and eat for free. Over 12, I believe they pay for meals, but stay and play free.
[/quote]

If this is the case it is surprising to me. In 2011 Juniors payed $65 on all courses but #2, where they still paid over $200. Currently if a Junior under 12 plays with a member it is free on #1-6 and $225 for #2. For Juniors 12-17 accompanied by a member the fee is $19 on #1-6 and $225 on #2.
[/quote]

I should have clarified: the surcharge you quoted does apply to #2. Sorry. The other courses (1 and 3-8) are free to juniors 12 and under.

[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' timestamp='1363725263' post='6645479']

[/quote]
Odd..coincidence here. I lived in North Carolina for several years and to me it's what I call home. However, I went to highschool and college in Ohio...so we've got three Buckeyes here in a way.

Enjoy the trip, any golftrip to the Sandhills is always a great time. And yes, that's a fantastic price for Talamore, this time of year.
[/quote]

Very cool Carolina! Thanks again, really appreciate the feedback. Where did you go to school?

H - 22° CLK 2020 
Tensei CK Blue 80

B - Titleist Pro V1

[quote name='OhioGolfDude' timestamp='1363783485' post='6649365']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Very cool Carolina! Thanks again, really appreciate the feedback. Where did you go to school?
[/quote]
Beavercreek H.S. and Wright State

Vokey

[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' timestamp='1363790287' post='6650053']
[quote name='OhioGolfDude' timestamp='1363783485' post='6649365']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Beavercreek H.S. and Wright State
[/quote]

Too weird man...I graduated from WSU too. My wife and I used to live in Beavercreek, now in Bellbrook.

H - 22° CLK 2020 
Tensei CK Blue 80

B - Titleist Pro V1

Too weird man...I graduated from WSU too. My wife and I used to live in Beavercreek, now in Bellbrook.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Small world huh? ...I was there (WS) during their glory days of Div II National Champions. If you're familar with their history at all that keeps me from saying what year I was there...ha ha.

Beavercreek has changed a lot since I was there, I have a hard time finding my way around sometimes when I go back.

Vokey

[quote name='BuckeyeGolfer ' timestamp='1363798972' post='6651223']
Weather on Sunday not looking good. 40 degrees and rain! We are supposed to play 36 that day! I would have stayed in Columbus to play in those conditions!
[/quote]
bummer...But I will tell you this. I don't know what it is about the sandhills area and maybe some natives can tell you. But it can be raining north, west, south, east and still miss the Pinehurst area. It's unreal and happens all the time. Donald Ross must have made some deal with the weather gods way back when.

I remember one trip where it was forecasted to be a steady downpour all day. We had about almost half our group not even get up and get dressed to go play. We got sprinkled on for the first two holes ...a very light sprinkle. Then had partly sunny the rest of the day. They were upset to say the least.

So hold out hope, it might be better than they say.

Vokey

[quote name='BuckeyeGolfer ' timestamp='1363798972' post='6651223']
Weather on Sunday not looking good. 40 degrees and rain! We are supposed to play 36 that day! I would have stayed in Columbus to play in those conditions!
[/quote]

Hey Buckeye I feel you man! Looked at the weather on Monday and it has gotten progressively better throughout the week. We are playing Fri/Sat and now conditions look decent. Holding out hope for ALL us Buckeyes that favorable weather will occur!

H - 22° CLK 2020 
Tensei CK Blue 80

B - Titleist Pro V1

Had the pleasure of playing #2 about a month ago and while the course wasn't in what I would call 'prime condition', it was awesome.

I also saw Payne Stewart win the US Open there in 1999 - but never had an opportunity to play the course. The US Open will return to the course next year - 2014.

I would go for #2 especially since you are a 5 and can hold your own. I'm about the same and felt pretty good about my 85 from the tips (not the US Open tees, but the furthest back tees they will allow you to play).

My advice, go for #2 if and when you can afford it.

GL and enjoy.