2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Final Bandon Dunes Questions (leaving for trip in 10 days!)

lowndes

So my buddy and I are leaving at the end of next week for a trip to Bandon Dunes and I have some final questions I could use some help with.

Caddies

We will be playing each course twice. Once in the morning and once in the afternoon for all the courses. We'd like to take caddies for some rounds but not all. We will be doing 36 a day. Would you recommend taking a caddy for each morning round, each afternoon round or the first time you play a course? My inclination is to do it for each morning round.

Playing the Courses

This is one I've wondered about for a while. You hear that the ground is super firm so you need to run the ball up to the hole more than on the courses I would be used to here in Texas. A question I had is does that mean to that you hit the ball farther cause it will roll out more. For example, if you had 200 yards into a green and normally hit say a 5 iron 185 then that is probably the club because of the firmness. I'm sure I.l figure this out quickly when we get there but am curious.

Other

Please let me know of any other tips I should know about.

Thanks!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you need a caddy for Trails or Old Mac. I would even question Bandon. Pacific, if you are set on a caddy, then that one the most.

As for firmness...that is the least of your consideration. The ground is firm with tight lies. The ball does not necessarily roll out any more or less. The tight lies will be what provides for the need to hit all types of shots especially punch shots and running the ball up. Don't expect to be able to hit nice flop shots all the time.

The weather and wind will dictate your club. Club yardage w/o weather is not that much different. I didn't feel the greens were so firm as to not hold a shot.

I don't think you NEED a caddie for any of the courses out there, but it is more a matter of having a caddie to save your energy. 4 days of 36 holes is a ton of golf. You're going to find that as the week wears on that your energy level is diminishing. I was there several years ago and we pretty much played our second round, ate dinner and crashed. If it were me I would probably think about toting my own bag in the morning when I was fresh and had the most energy and using a caddie in the afternoon.

I agree about using the caddies in the afternoon. They will help you stay fresh. Bandon courses are not like Golden Tee, there's no secret to playing the tracks. Get a yardage book and you should be good to go.

I also agree about the firmness. Unless you are a low ball hitter with a very shallow angle of decent, you won't see much difference in yardage. It effects the shots around the green the most. You might have a couple of longer shots when you have to land it on the front of the green but again, common sense will tell you when to do that.

The only other thing I can say is bring your own food. I lost more weight than ever before in one week while I was there because I walked so much and ate so little. The food was terrible.

I was there in November and played 6 rounds over 4 days and used caddies for every round. We did it primarily for the energy factor, but also the knowledge factor. While there are no tricks for playing and we likely would have been fine with a yardage book, the caddies we had brought another level of enjoyment to the courses. Funny stories, tidbits of info coupled with good distance and club advice and creative shotmaking ideas really enhanced the rounds for us.

Everyone plays differently, so there isn't a stock answer, but we found it to be money well spent.

I think you DO NEED a caddie for your first trip around.

There are really cool subtleties to the course, and you have already picked up on the trouble of clubbing yourself. These courses are awesome, and I would advise against being penny-wise/pound-foolish. There are several places on Old Mac where you don't even aim exactly at the putting surface. It's a cool way to play golf.

One of my rounds at Pacific was in 20 yard visibility. A range finder would have been of zero use!

When you decide which tack to take, just let the caddie(s) know. They will be there whenever you want. I like to stick with the same guy for the trip, so we aren't re-hashing stuff for the first few holes.

Thanks for the tips so far, really appreciate it. This brings up another etiquette question. So far we have requested a caddy for all eight rounds. We most likely will take caddies for our first two rounds in one day but what is the etiquette for changing up requested caddies after that? After the first day if we let them know that we only want to use them in the morning or afternoon round on the next day and so forth is that going to piss them off?

[quote name='lowndes' timestamp='1364224009' post='6688249']
Thanks for the tips so far, really appreciate it. This brings up another etiquette question. So far we have requested a caddy for all eight rounds. We most likely will take caddies for our first two rounds in one day but what is the etiquette for changing up requested caddies after that? After the first day if we let them know that we only want to use them in the morning or afternoon round on the next day and so forth is that going to piss them off?
[/quote]

IMO, it is poor form to cut back the number of rounds you use the caddy after you are there (unless you let them go because you aren't happy with the job they are doing). It is basically costing them work, since they will have anticipated working two rounds those days. Figure out in advance how much you want to use the caddies, and book accordingly. If you want to add rounds, it usually isn't a problem.

[quote name='trojangolfer' timestamp='1364233286' post='6690099']
[quote name='lowndes' timestamp='1364224009' post='6688249']
[/quote]

IMO, it is poor form to cut back the number of rounds you use the caddy after you are there (unless you let them go because you aren't happy with the job they are doing). It is basically costing them work, since they will have anticipated working two rounds those days. Figure out in advance how much you want to use the caddies, and book accordingly. If you want to add rounds, it usually isn't a problem.
[/quote]

Thanks that is what I thought as well but when I called reservations they said not to change. I think we will pick where we want caddies and if we need to add other rounds we can do that as opposed to cancelling rounds.

Thanks for the great input. I'm heading to Bandon in mid April. We're debating on whether to use caddies. Only playing 18 our first day, so we were thinking of using them for our first round and deciding after. Of couse, we'd run the risk of the same caddies being unavailable for later rounds.

Anybody else want to weigh in on the merits of caddies for first time Bandon visitors? Will most carry two bags. Is it customary to tip pay $100 (or more) per bag regardless of how many bags they carry? If your group uses a fore caddie, is it $100 total for his/her services?

I hope the OP won't mind me jumping on this bandwagon (it seems odd to start another "last minute Bandon question" thread).

Is an umbrella worthwhile, or a complete waste? I recall reading that if the rain was falling, then typically the wind was blowing...and that the rain was therefore usually blowing sideways and an umbrella doesn't help...or even survive!

Should I bring one or not?

[quote name='Chris_NH' timestamp='1364258619' post='6693927']
I hope the OP won't mind me jumping on this bandwagon (it seems odd to start another "last minute Bandon question" thread).

Is an umbrella worthwhile, or a complete waste? I recall reading that if the rain was falling, then typically the wind was blowing...and that the rain was therefore usually blowing sideways and an umbrella doesn't help...or even survive!

Should I bring one or not?
[/quote]

I would not bring one.

Around $100 is customary. I have a couple friends who caddy there. It just adds to the experience plus there are shots that you will not see. Like 5 at pac. A par 3 around 180 yards. If you land its 10 yards short of the green and 5 yards to the left it will kick your ball on. Its also the best way to get it close to the front pin locations and it takes thee bunkers out of play. That is just 1 example. Caddies will make a huge difference. If you are going out of your way and spending all of that money to play there. Why not spend a little extra to enhance not only your enjoyment but also take 4 to 5 strokes off your round.

Epic Flash SZ 8° LA Golf Red Tie 60X
Epic Flash SZ 15° Tensei blue 75X
Apex 19 hybrid 18° KBS Proto 95X
Apex 19 hybrid 20° KBS Proto 95X
Apex pro 5-PW KBS $ TAPER 130
MD4 Raw 50°, 56° KBS $ TAPER 120
PM grind 2.0 60° KBS $TAPER 120
Toulon Las Vegas 

[quote name='bandonman91' timestamp='1364314345' post='6698433']
Around $100 is customary. I have a couple friends who caddy there. It just adds to the experience plus there are shots that you will not see. Like 5 at pac. A par 3 around 180 yards. If you land its 10 yards short of the green and 5 yards to the left it will kick your ball on. Its also the best way to get it close to the front pin locations and it takes thee bunkers out of play. That is just 1 example. Caddies will make a huge difference. If you are going out of your way and spending all of that money to play there. Why not spend a little extra to enhance not only your enjoyment but also take 4 to 5 strokes off your round.
[/quote]
+1

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

-If its your first trip to Bandon Dunes, I would recommend using a caddy the first time you play each course. After that, you can make the decision if you personally need one for the ensuing rounds. Yes a yardage book is helpful, but some of the green reads (especially on Old Mac) can be tricky and caddies help with understanding the various nuances of the courses and add to the overall experience.

-If you encounter heavy rain during your round your best options in addition to quality raingear are rain gloves and a bucket hat.

-The caddies' supervisor determines if a caddy double bags or not unless a specific caddy is requested by a group.

[quote name='tonster' timestamp='1364319451' post='6699077']
-If its your first trip to Bandon Dunes, I would recommend using a caddy the first time you play each course. After that, you can make the decision if you personally need one for the ensuing rounds. Yes a yardage book is helpful, but some of the green reads (especially on Old Mac) can be tricky and caddies help with understanding the various nuances of the courses and add to the overall experience.

-If you encounter heavy rain during your round your best options in addition to quality raingear are rain gloves and a bucket hat.

-The caddies' supervisor determines if a caddy double bags or not unless a specific caddy is requested by a group.
[/quote]

Thank you all for the input.

[quote name='tonster' timestamp='1364319451' post='6699077']

-If you encounter heavy rain during your round your best options in addition to quality raingear are rain gloves and a [b]bucket hat[/b].

[/quote]

I played in 1 heavy downpour while there and invested in this hat from the pro shop.

http://bandondunesgolfshop.com/products/bandon-dunes-waterproof-bucket-hat

Other than caddies fees, best money I spent on the trip.

[quote name='lowndes' timestamp='1364394211' post='6706141']
Another question as it gets closer to the time and the extended forecast is starting to show our dates! Are weather forecasts at Bandon completely unreliable since it is right there on the coast or can you gain any accurate information from them?
[/quote]

In November they were 60% accurate a week out, 80% 72 hours out and 90% accurate 24 hours out.

What we did find is that the temperature readings, which were very accurate, did not feel the same as they did at home (for us that is Indiana). I am sure some of that is the walking, as you generate more heat while you walk, but to a certain extent it just didn't make sense to me. An example of this was our second day morning while playing Trails. It was 45 degrees and sunny at our tee time and I dressed how I would at home. We shed a layer by hole #2, with no real increase in temp, and played in a long sleeve nike base layer and short sleeve golf shirt the rest of the morning.

[quote name='natedd' timestamp='1364411906' post='6708431']
[quote name='lowndes' timestamp='1364394211' post='6706141']
Another question as it gets closer to the time and the extended forecast is starting to show our dates! Are weather forecasts at Bandon completely unreliable since it is right there on the coast or can you gain any accurate information from them?
[/quote]

In November they were 60% accurate a week out, 80% 72 hours out and 90% accurate 24 hours out.

What we did find is that the temperature readings, which were very accurate, did not feel the same as they did at home (for us that is Indiana). I am sure some of that is the walking, as you generate more heat while you walk, but to a certain extent it just didn't make sense to me. An example of this was our second day morning while playing Trails. It was 45 degrees and sunny at our tee time and I dressed how I would at home. We shed a layer by hole #2, with no real increase in temp, and played in a long sleeve nike base layer and short sleeve golf shirt the rest of the morning.
[/quote]

Thanks, this is something I was wondering about as well. For example, I use to live in Berkeley and 80 degrees there could feel down right hot but here in Houston 80 degrees feels great.

I played at Bandon a couple of years ago, and used a caddy for every round (same caddy). It added immensely to the enjoyment of my time there. Can't remember the caddy's name, but he told me he caddied for Streelman at Whisper Rock when he went south every year. As far as conditions go, my experience was that it was cloudy every morning with little wind, then got sunny in the afternoon with big wind. The caddy really paid off for me in the afternoons judging distances due to the wind. Have fun out there.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond
PXG 0211 (15)

PXG 0211 (19)
PXG Gen 6 0311P 5-AW
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54, 58
Seemore Mini Giant DF

If you don't mind the extra $$$, I think a caddie the 1st time you play each course is very helpful and worthwhile. You can probably get by with just a yardage book or GPS after that. I would suggest spending some extra time at the practice range on-site before your 1st round. Get used to hitting off the firm turf, both on full shots and inside 50 yards. A caddie will tell you that you won't use your lob wedge your entire time at Bandon outside of the occasional sand shot. Also, practice putting from long distances, bump/run shots and the hybrid or fairway wood from off the green. The firm turf makes even the normal pitch/chip shots more difficult. Being able to proficiently use the hybrid or fairway wood like a putter from off the green will save you a lot of strokes.

I would highly suggest a caddie for the first round on each course. There is local knowledge on all of them. As for distances a lot will depend on your trajectory and what not. Some guests will come from Denver and hit it farther here at Bandon because of a low flight where as others will hit it shorter due to a higher flight at sea level. That is where the caddie comes into play, a good looper will have your distances down by the 3rd-5th hole.

• 2 weeks later...