2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

EPON AF 503 Irons

TRC723

[quote name='coops' timestamp='1370977056' post='7215662']
Thing is there's the RF-551's... cheaper, better looking 500 series with undercut cavity. The RF-551 is very sexy looking and visually has surprisingly little offset.

I'm just looking for an excuse to get a set of copper chrome 302's :slow_en:
[/quote]

why do you need an excuse to get one the most beautiful AND playable irons ever made???

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing is there's the RF-551's... cheaper, better looking 500 series with undercut cavity. The RF-551 is very sexy looking and visually has surprisingly little offset.

I'm just looking for an excuse to get a set of copper chrome 302's :slow_en:

why do you need an excuse to get one the most beautiful AND playable irons ever made???

Well... I do have 301's in copper-chrome, and they are lovely.

I've had them so long, I didn't even feel guilty buying a Mizuno Craft MP611 driver - gorgeous.

This should appease the golf buying gods... but.

Maybe get my swing where i want it, have a one really good fitting and test for the best iron shaft for me (maybe even Nunchuk graphite iron shafts) and then go copper chrome mental - 302's custom stamped one club weak, so the 9 iron is 46 degree loft, matching 210wedge at 50deg. Beg on my knees, wallet open, for a matching copper chrome 901... maybe 2 even - fancy a 17deg one with nunchuk hybrid shaft as an almost 3 wood.. with a 20deg or so one to line up to the 302's. That should do it for another 8 to 10 years.

*sigh*

address.jpg

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Was able to hit these today. Head was very compact for its size, and the offset was minimal. Appeared to have less offset than my AF301's. The feel is typical Epon soft, but the clicky sound can change that perception of soft.

I hit the 6i with Nippon 1050 installed. Nice mid-high ballflight, very playable. I will admit that it would be difficult to spend Epon dollars these days. I remember when they were much more affordable. Now they are positioning and reiterating by price that they are an ultra premium brand. I remember paying less than $1600 for custom, sole engraved AF-301's. That would be a bargain price these days.

Titleist TSi3 9* w/Tensei Blue S

Titleist TS2 FW 15* w/Tensei Blue S
Titleist 818H1 19* & H2 23* w/Tensei Blue S
Callaway Apex Pro 21 w/Recoil F4

Callaway RTX Zipcore Raw 50*, 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Phantom X8 34"

[quote name='bjp1' timestamp='1393038538' post='8719888']
Was able to hit these today. Head was very compact for its size, and the offset was minimal. Appeared to have less offset than my AF301's. The feel is typical Epon soft, but the clicky sound can change that perception of soft.

I hit the 6i with Nippon 1050 installed. Nice mid-high ballflight, very playable. I will admit that it would be difficult to spend Epon dollars these days. I remember when they were much more affordable. Now they are positioning and reiterating by price that they are an ultra premium brand. I remember paying less than $1600 for custom, sole engraved AF-301's. That would be a bargain price these days.
[/quote]

I remember those clubs,

Epon EF-02D Diamana x17 6s

Epon AF-256 #3 Diamana x12 7s

Epon AF-256 #5 Diamana x12 7s

Epon AF-906 23 Tensei Ck pw hb90

Epon AF-506 #5-aw Tensei AM2Ws

Epon Tour wedge M56 DG spinner

Tad Moore handmade blade 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='vanla01' timestamp='1398386071' post='9164689']
Spoon is probably the only person who actually owns the 503's & can give a indepth review, but with the new Epon Sus316 irons.....I am curious which one he prefers?
[/quote]

well i have gamed the 503 exclusively for a year before changing them to sus316.
they are different animals and can't be bundled up together. the sus316 is a players
club less forgiving but a joy to use.

the 503s are point and shoot forgiving irons with less offset and smaller head profile
compared to the SGI 703 irons. when i say offset there is still some but not a hindrance
to better players using them. i have friends in their low singles that love the 503 and game them.
they are long too! my only comment is that the undercut cavity makes the club seem hot of the face.
for someone used to pure forged clubs these will feel different. not a bad thing for me.

Epon EF-02D Diamana x17 6s

Epon AF-256 #3 Diamana x12 7s

Epon AF-256 #5 Diamana x12 7s

Epon AF-906 23 Tensei Ck pw hb90

Epon AF-506 #5-aw Tensei AM2Ws

Epon Tour wedge M56 DG spinner

Tad Moore handmade blade 

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys ,
Just wondering if there are others out there who have been gaming the 503s .
Looking for more feedback , opinions etc .
Many thanks in advance and will look forward to hearing back .

Epon 103 9.5* Quadra Fire Express 75s
PXG 3 wood 15* GD Tour AD-DJ 7x
PXG 3 & 4 Hybrids GD Tour AD-DI hy85s
Miura CB 57s 5 - PW KBS C-Taper Lite S
Miura New Wedge Series 50 , 54 & 58
Yamada Shogun

I am gaming them and they are incredible! I love them. Super hot off the face. I have some arthritis and have only been able to consistently take 3/4 swings but the 503 is as long or longer than my were when I had more club head speed. Nice strong trajectory, distance control is very good but still get pretty high and hold greens.

If you're looking for long, workableish (easy cuts and draws) with a soft electric feel, I guaranty you won't be disappointed.

They are excellent w the roddio I10 or i9 shaft. They have been my gamers for 5 months and have never had a reason to change. Hands down the vest performing iron I've ever owned. I have to say, I'm not a fan of how the pocket cavity looks. It could have been simpler but they look great over the ball and I have a ton of confidence in them. I hit a 180 yard 5i today, into a slight headwind 10 feet past the cup. I haven't done that in 3 years.

153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60 Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

[quote name='freehb' timestamp='1401661355' post='9409239']
I am gaming them and they are incredible! I love them. Super hot off the face. I have some arthritis and have only been able to consistently take 3/4 swings but the 503 is as long or longer than my were when I had more club head speed. Nice strong trajectory, distance control is very good but still get pretty high and hold greens.

If you're looking for long, workableish (easy cuts and draws) with a soft electric feel, I guaranty you won't be disappointed.

They are excellent w the roddio I10 or i9 shaft. They have been my gamers for 5 months and have never had a reason to change. Hands down the vest performing iron I've ever owned. I have to say, I'm not a fan of how the pocket cavity looks. It could have been simpler but they look great over the ball and I have a ton of confidence in them. I hit a 180 yard 5i today, into a slight headwind 10 feet past the cup. I haven't done that in 3 years.
[/quote]
I am really looking forward to trying these irons out for myself !
Nice 5 iron by the way . Gotta love it when those shots come off !

Yamada Shogun

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='freehb' timestamp='1401661355' post='9409239']

[/quote]
Got to hit the 503s for the first time this weekend . My fitter let me take the 6 iron fitting club to play around with . Am going to be trying it with a Recoil 95 F4 & a NS Pro 950 GH stiff .
Will post feedback when I've hit it more but first impressions are terrific !
Hit 2 greens in reg back to back today with on 2 tough holes .

Yamada Shogun

That's what happened for me. I just started hitting greens again. When you're 3/4 club longer I feel so much more confident with the extra loft. Yes, the undercut does not for vide that deep, solid nothingness like the 302 when pured but you can feelish kinda where you hit it and it is rewarding on oure contact....course it's kinda rewarding on halfway decent contact as well.

I would go back to the 302 if my iron swing was just a bit more powerful but in an event I would take the 503s every time...maybe even over the 551s....

153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60 Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

I am enjoying the launch and the feel of the 503 . I have found that the feedback while subtle is still there & I must say that I am so far really enjoying the feel of the 503 .
I put a ball within 12 foot on a par 5 to be on for 3 that was playing into a tough wind from 165 yards out .
The next hole I had the wind at my back for the tee shot on a long par 4 that's about 430 yards . The elevated green's protected to the right by a creek & to the left by 2 grass bunkers that the green slopes away from and have about a 12 foot face . It's one of those shots that's quite intimidating and I knocked it on easily from about 175 out that the wind had eased for that moment .
To have lined up 2 bird putts on index 6 & index 3 was a great result . Did not either but given that it was a par event , 2 putting each hole still got me a + on each hole .
Am really looking forward to hitting a lot of balls with each of the 2 shafts that my fitter has recommended .
Gotta say though , so far , so great !

Yamada Shogun

Yeah, subtle but there. I don't mind the feel in fact they feel pretty good, even on mishits. I can't tell exactly where on the club face I made contact like with the 302 bit have a sense of it.

153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60 Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

[quote name='Batman1971' timestamp='1402869011' post='9501429']
I am enjoying the launch and the feel of the 503 . I have found that the feedback while subtle is still there & I must say that I am so far really enjoying the feel of the 503 .
I put a ball within 12 foot on a par 5 to be on for 3 that was playing into a tough wind from 165 yards out .
The next hole I had the wind at my back for the tee shot on a long par 4 that's about 430 yards . The elevated green's protected to the right by a creek & to the left by 2 grass bunkers that the green slopes away from and have about a 12 foot face . It's one of those shots that's quite intimidating and I knocked it on easily from about 175 out that the wind had eased for that moment .
To have lined up 2 bird putts on index 6 & index 3 was a great result . Did not either but given that it was a par event , 2 putting each hole still got me a + on each hole .
Am really looking forward to hitting a lot of balls with each of the 2 shafts that my fitter has recommended .
[/quote]

How is the recoil in it?

153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60 Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

[quote name='freehb' timestamp='1402975309' post='9511697']
[/quote]

How is the recoil in it?
[/quote]

Am really enjoying the Recoil so far . It's very stable throughout my swing & it's definitely responsible in part for making a great head feel even better !
Had a range session with it after work last night and tried all sorts of shots with it & not only was the 503 great but the shaft responded beautifully every time .
Am still yet to try out the NS Pro 950 in it as i have only tried that shaft in another head & i have to wait for my fitter to get one sorted for me but at this stage I have a feeling that I will be ordering a full set of 503s with Recoil 95s .
If you haven't tried them yet I definitely suggest you give them a crack . The range is enormous and the performance is very very good !

Yamada Shogun

I had mine shafted with Recoil Prototypes F4 125. It was like cutting butter with just your fingertips...that's how soft the feel was. Anyway, the shaft did not work well for me so I am still debating on what new shafts to use. The head is great though, very hot and just great.

Taylormade M2 10.5* // Tensei Pro Orange 6S
Taylormade M3 15* // Tensei Pro Orange 7s
Taylormade M3 Rescue // Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85HY
Srixon z565 4-PW // Nippon Modus Tour 120
Titleist Vokey SM 52*
Titleist Vokey SM 58*
Scotty Cameron 350g Milspec

[quote name='freehb' timestamp='1402975309' post='9511697']
[/quote]

How is the recoil in it?
[/quote]

Am curious ( as I've only hit the 6 iron ) , what are the scoring irons like ?

Yamada Shogun

[quote name='squishyy' timestamp='1403492076' post='9554751']
I had mine shafted with Recoil Prototypes F4 125. It was like cutting butter with just your fingertips...that's how soft the feel was. Anyway, the shaft did not work well for me so I am still debating on what new shafts to use. The head is great though, very hot and just great.
[/quote]
Just curious but what shaft have you replaced the Recoils with .
Ives done a lot of reading about the Recoils and a lot of guys have found the 125s to be to much . For example most guys who have a driver swing of approx 95 - 100 are best off with the Recoil 95 or 110 .
Did you try some of the other Recoils in the range ?

Yamada Shogun

Ok , so I've had a 503 6 iron now for about 3 weeks . It's a fitting club so I can test a number of shafts in it to be able to narrow down what works best for me with it .
My fitter also let me take the fitting club of the irons that I'm currently gaming ( Miura Passing Point 9003 Straight Neck ) so that I can compare the 2 heads also with the shafts I want to try .
Having tried a number of shafts I have decided that I will be going forward with UST Recoil 95s F4 .
The reason that this all came to pass was last year I injured my back and I have had a lot of trouble loading all my irons from 7 iron up .
Originally my fitter and I were just going to change the shafts in my set but when he had me swing a few in front of trackman he noticed that my swing speed had changed from an average of 91mph with a 6 iron to 83mph ! He also noticed that when trying out various shafts that I just wasn't launching the irons that I was using as well as I should've been . Hence that converted to not being able to maximise distance or drop and stops into greens . He also wasn't a great fan of the ball speeds that he was seeing either .
It was then he suggested I try out the Epons .
Enter the Epon AF 503 !
The feel of the 503 is different to the Miura , not better , not worse , just different . Now that could also be the Recoils but I really didn't notice a prominent click feel to the 503s . Once you absolutely nail one right out of the sweet spot it is put simply a feeling of electric euphoria !
Sure , the feedback is a lot more subtle than other irons I've gamed but talk about forgiveness , the 503s are absolutely choc full of forgiveness !
Launch is terrific ! The ball just keeps climbing to a fantastic height with a very pleasing length as well .
As a result , earlier today I contacted my fitter and ordered a full set of Epon AF 503 irons 4 - A wedge and I can not wait to get my hands on them and game them !
I really appreciate the posts and feedback that I've read and received . Particularly from freehb for your insights and also Spoon for your in depth analysis as well . This is what makes WRX so great !
I'll give some more updates once I get the set in the bag and out on the course .

Yamada Shogun

[quote name='Batman1971' timestamp='1404293872' post='9621721']
[/quote]
Ives done a lot of reading about the Recoils and a lot of guys have found the 125s to be to much . For example most guys who have a driver swing of approx 95 - 100 are best off with the Recoil 95 or 110 .
[/quote]

I have not found a good shaft to be installed into the 503s yet. The Recoils are on the BST currently. I did not find the 125s to be too much. My 6i swing speed is 85mph and I was able to load it well and I have a smooth transition. The only gripe that I have is that it was giving me a little too much spin. But thinking back to all of my shots, they were all straight as an arrow. Recoils are great shafts...just not for my swing type and I don't feel like changing my swing to fit a shaft.

Taylormade M2 10.5* // Tensei Pro Orange 6S
Taylormade M3 15* // Tensei Pro Orange 7s
Taylormade M3 Rescue // Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85HY
Srixon z565 4-PW // Nippon Modus Tour 120
Titleist Vokey SM 52*
Titleist Vokey SM 58*
Scotty Cameron 350g Milspec

[quote name='squishyy' timestamp='1404354425' post='9627571']
[quote name='Batman1971' timestamp='1404293872' post='9621721']
[/quote]
[/quote]

I have not found a good shaft to be installed into the 503s yet. The Recoils are on the BST currently. I did not find the 125s to be too much. My 6i swing speed is 85mph and I was able to load it well and I have a smooth transition. The only gripe that I have is that it was giving me a little too much spin. But thinking back to all of my shots, they were all straight as an arrow. Recoils are great shafts...just not for my swing type and I don't feel like changing my swing to fit a shaft.
[/quote]
No , I'd never change my swing to suit a shaft either !
Good luck with the search though .
I hope you find an awesome shaft .

Yamada Shogun

Roddio. Just do it, performance wise the combo can't be beat! If the recoil is cottage cheese, roddio is the smoothest vanilla shake you've ever tasted. Pinpoint control with distance. I am really loving them and have resigned trying any other iron shafts.

I may give the 703 a whirl though...don't need any more forgiveness but could always use more distance....

Missing my 302s though, perhaps roddio in them instead...they have always come out at least once or twice a month with every set I've owned but the 503/roddio, I think they've only been out 3 times in 6 months....anyone want a nice set of Aerotech i95 pulls, +1/4" with fresh no1s (4-p)?

153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60 Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

[quote name='freehb' timestamp='1404605022' post='9643511']
Roddio. Just do it, performance wise the combo can't be beat! If the recoil is cottage cheese, roddio is the smoothest vanilla shake you've ever tasted. Pinpoint control with distance. I am really loving them and have resigned trying any other iron shafts.

I may give the 703 a whirl though...don't need any more forgiveness but could always use more distance....

Missing my 302s though, perhaps roddio in them instead...they have always come out at least once or twice a month with every set I've owned but the 503/roddio, I think they've only been out 3 times in 6 months....anyone want a nice set of Aerotech i95 pulls, +1/4" with fresh no1s (4-p)?!
[/quote]
I've not tried the Roddio .
My fitter has received my set and tells me I may have them in the bag at the end of the week .
I'm counting the days !

Yamada Shogun

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

[quote name='puttingmatt' timestamp='1430928922' post='11510231']
Nice looking irons, where to try out in Michigan ?
[/quote]

Carl's Golfland in Bloomfield Hills now carries Epon and has them available to hit and test on Trackman.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12