2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Cobra Amp Cell Fairway Wood: Tell me your opinion

TWB0038

I have done a search and found very little regarding the Cobra Amp Cell fairway woods. I'm in the market for a new 3 wood and tried a number of them at the local golf shop on their monitor(I know its not super reliable for distance but you can at least get a feel for the club). I tested the Cobra, RBZ Stage 2, X Hot, Nike Covert, and TE Exotic XCG5.

When it was all said and done, I really liked the way the Cobra felt and I like the idea of being able to change lofts for different courses depending on how I will use it. I know the Nike Cover Tour does the same but I'm not a fan of the cavity, it is not appealing to me.

Who all plays a Cobra Amp Cell and what are your thoughts? Also please give your opinion if you have hit the club but don't own it.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='TWB0038' timestamp='1370293216' post='7162380']
I have done a search and found very little regarding the Cobra Amp Cell fairway woods. I'm in the market for a new 3 wood and tried a number of them at the local golf shop on their monitor(I know its not super reliable for distance but you can at least get a feel for the club). I tested the Cobra, RBZ Stage 2, X Hot, Nike Covert, and TE Exotic XCG5.

When it was all said and done, I really liked the way the Cobra felt and I like the idea of being able to change lofts for different courses depending on how I will use it. I know the Nike Cover Tour does the same but I'm not a fan of the cavity, it is not appealing to me.

Who all plays a Cobra Amp Cell and what are your thoughts? Also please give your opinion if you have hit the club but don't own it.
[/quote]

I have the 3/4 fairway wood and 2/3 hybrid. Both are incredible easy to hit and want to go straight. Had them for about a month now and was originally planning on changing out the shafts but hitting the stock stiff great. Just put a nice easy swing on it goes where I want. Been very impressed with them so far and hit more par 5s from 250+ in the past month than I ever have. Planning on getting the 4/5 hybrid as well. Might get the driver even though I have a RFE with a black tie 73M xflex that I love.

Ping G400 Max Driver Tour 65
Callaway X-hot 3 wood Project X
Ping 3 Crossover AWT 2.0
Ping G Irons 4-UW AWT 2.0
Taylormade RAC black 56
Taylormade TP xFT 60
Odyssey METAL-X MILLED #7

I had really high hopes for the Amp Cell fairway since I loved the original Amp, but it didn't pan out....just never got along with the Amp Cell. I don't know if it was the head, shaft, or a combo of both but I just didn't like it. I thought it felt a little dead. It was decent performance-wise but I hit my old Amp better and liked the feel of better so I decided to stay with it. Ultimately I ended up with a Covert Tour which I absolutely love.

Now the Amp Cell driver, I really liked it. It was long and forgiving! I think I am one of the few, but I thought the stock shaft in the AC driver was decent. IMO it is flying under the radar and should be checked out if you are in the market for a new driver.

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

[quote name='Johnny T' timestamp='1370305178' post='7163618']
I had really high hopes for the Amp Cell fairway since I loved the original Amp, but it didn't pan out....just never got along with the Amp Cell. I don't know if it was the head, shaft, or a combo of both but I just didn't like it. I thought it felt a little dead. It was decent performance-wise but I hit my old Amp better and liked the feel of better so I decided to stay with it. Ultimately I ended up with a Covert Tour which I absolutely love.

Now the Amp Cell driver, I really liked it. It was long and forgiving! I think I am one of the few, but I thought the stock shaft in the AC driver was decent. IMO it is flying under the radar and should be checked out if you are in the market for a new driver.
[/quote]

I didn't test out the tour version when I went but I might have to go back and give it a try.

They had a LE Green Amp Cell at the store, I only wish the fairway woods came in the same green color, it is so good looking

[quote name='mx745' timestamp='1370299146' post='7163016']
[quote name='TWB0038' timestamp='1370293216' post='7162380']

[/quote]

I have the 3/4 fairway wood and 2/3 hybrid. Both are incredible easy to hit and want to go straight. Had them for about a month now and was originally planning on changing out the shafts but hitting the stock stiff great. Just put a nice easy swing on it goes where I want. Been very impressed with them so far and hit more par 5s from 250+ in the past month than I ever have. Planning on getting the 4/5 hybrid as well. Might get the driver even though I have a RFE with a black tie 73M xflex that I love.
[/quote]

Glad to hear some positive feedback. I really liked the feel of it at the shop but who knows how it will pan out on the course. If I hit it anything like I did on the monitor I will have no complaints. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed and update this after I get some rounds with it.

I had the Amp Cell Pro driver in the bag very quickly after it was released, but just couldn't seem to get to a place where I liked the 3/4 wood enough to pull the trigger, and the same went for the hybrid. Then I found a used 2/3 hybrid with a Kuro Kage 80s in it and loved it so that went into the bag too.

I finally caved in and bought the 3/4 wood with the stock x-Flex Fuel shaft, and whilst it was ok I still didn't like the way it felt. I bit the bullet and bought a 70x Kuro Kage and put it into the 3/4 wood to see if maybe the shaft change would do the trick - and YES IT DID!

It is easy to hit and performs really well. My oly gripe, is that the head is a little on the large side. I wish that Cobra would release the "Pro" version of the fairway wood that their Tour pros are using.....

[quote name='andrevanderpost' timestamp='1370319918' post='7165286']
I had the Amp Cell Pro driver in the bag very quickly after it was released, but just couldn't seem to get to a place where I liked the 3/4 wood enough to pull the trigger, and the same went for the hybrid. Then I found a used 2/3 hybrid with a Kuro Kage 80s in it and loved it so that went into the bag too.

I finally caved in and bought the 3/4 wood with the stock x-Flex Fuel shaft, and whilst it was ok I still didn't like the way it felt. I bit the bullet and bought a 70x Kuro Kage and put it into the 3/4 wood to see if maybe the shaft change would do the trick - and YES IT DID!

It is easy to hit and performs really well. My oly gripe, is that the head is a little on the large side. I wish that Cobra would release the "Pro" version of the fairway wood that their Tour pros are using.....
[/quote]

Good to hear that it turns into a different club with a simple shaft change. That was what I was thinking when I had mine...a shaft change might make a world of difference.

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

I tried them all and bought the 3-4 fairway. It felt best to me of all I tested, was easiest to elevate off the deck and ball speeds equal to xhot and rbz. I also bought the 5-7 wood to replace my 19 degree hybrid and the 4-5 hybrid. I like all of them. I have the 5-7 wood set to 19 degrees(6) and it is point and shoot. The hybrid goes high and straight. I may put the pro driver in the bag soon. Feel is so solid with a muted sound with all these clubs.I would agree that a slightly smaller head on the fairway woods would be nice but they work well as is.

I am playing the driver and 3/4 fairway. This is the best fairway wood I have played in many, many years. It is very long and straight off the tee - no ballooning for me. Trajectory control is great off the deck. I have always fought hard draws (snaps) with a 3 wood when I make a very aggressive swing. This has not happened once the entire year with the club.

[quote name='prouse25' timestamp='1370408006' post='7172316']
I am playing the driver and 3/4 fairway. This is the best fairway wood I have played in many, many years. It is very long and straight off the tee - no ballooning for me. Trajectory control is great off the deck. I have always fought hard draws (snaps) with a 3 wood when I make a very aggressive swing. This has not happened once the entire year with the club.
[/quote]

While the Cobra AMP Cell fairway wood is decent, it's not the reason you haven't hit a hard snap draw with it. The shaft is.

I put the cobra amp cell driver and fairway in the bag about a month and a half ago, at first I was not sure if they were gonna work out because the launch monitor numbers were not to pleasing. I played them for 2 rounds and was disgusted at how poorly they performed. I was on my way to the golf shop to trade them in on something else when I remembered I had two fubuki tour shafts laying in the closet, i turned around and picked up the shafts to have them installed in the driver and fairway just to see if it made a difference. Let me tell you it made a big difference in performance. I was hitting the ball much better and longer but was still hitting it a little to high. So i made a change to the project x pxv in both the driver and fairway and haven't looked back. This combo has been unreal, i seeing a mid ball flight out of the driver and fairway with drives in the 275-285 yd range and 240-250 yd with the fairway. I have never had a fairway that performs as well as this one does. In the last 3 weeks i have hit 10 par 5's in two and have converted 4 of those into eagles, more than i have had in the last year. I am consistently hitting 75% or better FIR which has increased my GIR percentage from 44% to 66%. Trust me when I say the head on the driver and fairway are solid but the stock shaft is garbage, make a shaft change and these clubs will perform better than you ever expected. That's just my two cents.

Cobra LTD - 9* - Rogue 125 MSI 60TX
Cobra LTD - 14.5* - Rogue Black 70X
Adams Red Hy - 20* - Altus 80X
Titleist CB - 3-PW - DG S300 HSx1
Callaway MD3 - 52* / 56* / 60* - DG S300
Odyssey RX V-line Fang - 34"

Update - I have been to one range session and played 27 holes(full 18 and then front 9 again) at Shady Oaks CC on Saturday. The fairway wood was a rock solid performer all day. I had a little trouble hitting it off the tee for the first time, I kept standing up hitting it thin because the red is so good looking and I didn't want an idiot mark haha. After I settled down, I was bombing it off the tee with great ball flight, it was easy to hit a draw, not as easy to hit a cut but possible. Off the fairway it was super easy to hit and I imagine I will be going for a lot more par 5's in two with this club in the bag. The feel is great, distance is great even on mishits, and control is there. I would highly recommend this 3/4 wood to anyone looking for a new fairway wood.

• 10 years later...

I bought a 5-7 wood used and I’m confused because it says 9.5 degrees in the small window. Everything I see online has the 5-7 wood showing smaller numbers. What is going on when I hit this thing is a perfect bomb for 200 yards. But is something wrong with my set up why doesn’t it match anything I see online?? 

On 5/12/2024 at 12:07 AM, Vinzeze said:

I bought a 5-7 wood used and I’m confused because it says 9.5 degrees in the small window. Everything I see online has the 5-7 wood showing smaller numbers. What is going on when I hit this thing is a perfect bomb for 200 yards. But is something wrong with my set up why doesn’t it match anything I see online?? 

It probably has a cut down driver shaft in it.

Dr: LTDx LS 9 Paderson Velocity D20
FW: LTDx 14.5 Accra FX200F m3
FW: Radspeed 18.5 Motore F3 Regular 
Irons: Forged UT 24 hzrdus 5.5; 6-gw Pro 223 5.5 LZ
Wed: RTX-6 56.12 60.06
PT: 2014 Scotty Newport 1/500 custom