2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Tom Slighter's new signature logo Japrechaun

Gxgolfer

I was just reading between the lines as you were. :) Oh, and Mitch asked me to put in the poll and Mills and RJB have their own forums as well. Jay's on Yahoo and RJB's on TKS site.

There is plenty of anti TM and Nike marketing posts here as well. Not too long ago there was a thread about Bettinardi making a Red Dawn putter.

At least some of us have a sense of humor and thick skin. :)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mitch,

Tom has to understand that he is getting more famous.

His putters are great. He has his controversies, some putter makers do as well.

He has to understand "with fame, comes great responsibility". Haha

His moves will now have to be on the conservative side.

It takes focus away from a great product. It does put some focus on the name though.

Hmmmm.....Well I can understand Tom is of mixed Irish and Japanese racial backgrounds, I can't see how his new "logo" if you can call it that, drawn as a typical charicature of racial stereotypes (slant eyed, yellow skin, leprechaun outfit) and using a name that starts with "Japan" can advance any social issues.

Like many people in Hawaii, I'm of mixed race. I've been a long time fan of Slighter and owner of his putters. I just have a problem with the term "Japrechaun".......the "Japan" part especially. I have had four Uncles who fought in WW II in the famed and multi-decorated 442nd and 100th Battalions. Some of my relatives were interned against their wishes in Japanese concentration camps during the war. I don't think any of them would agree that the use of the word "Japan" to make a name for a whimsical character was a nice thing to do. They all fought hard to battle the term "Japan". To use it in today's "modern world" is just something that I have a hard time sitting back and watching. I know that Tom's part Japanese but really that term "Japan" even if affectionately used to name his new character is really demeaning.

I just think there could have been a classier thing to do to be proud of his heritage. If he's trying to move his company forward into the World market, he might think to use something more sensitive to the world market.

I think he could learn from these two guys about making something recognizable and not offend.......

sc03hc_sdog_1.jpgballMarkers2.jpg

As A Texican, I have no problem with it.

Im an owner of one of Tom's customs putters, it has been a mainstay in my bag since last July when I purchased it and is definately the best putter that I have ever owned. During this time I got to know Tom quite well through all the "infamous" emails that is lauded on the many forums who give feedback on Toms customer service. Tom and I shared many aspects of our lives in the emails and the specifics of the putter he was building me. All I can say is Tom is "top drawer" when it comes to customer service and "top drawer" as a person. The new logo and the use of "Japrechaun": The new character IMO is self representative of who Tom is, He is of Irish and Japanese heritage and he is quite proud of this, but the use of "Japan" attached to the "rechaun" is not appealing to me. The use of "Japan" has its roots in hatred. Those roots started when the so called "yellow peril" http://www.answers.com/topic/yellow-peril was occuring with mass immigration to the USA from Asia, even to the point of legislation preventing or limiting legal immigration! This hatred intensified upon that ill fated day in December in Pearl Harbor. As with Pitbull I have many uncles and relatives who fought in the 442nd in WWII, all volunteered while kept in "relocation camps" in Poston Arizona and all served proudly as American soldiers. Their segregated unit fought through the Italian peninsula and finally in the mountains of France. http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/age...y/100-442in.htm The 442nd is one of the most highly decorated units in WWII. I have personally talked to many of the surviving relatives of mine who served and many shared how they were hero's on the battle ground but returned home after the war to find "no Japs allowed" signs posted thoughout their home towns. My Father once shared with me that he did not go to town for over 2 years after the war because of the racial hatred and was lucky enough to have non Japanese heritage friends who did their shopping for them. So the new logo: I do not mind the new character but I do Not like the use of "Japan" in the characters name. I also consider Tom a good man a personal friend but do hope he reconsiders the use of "Japrechaun" Regards, Tad

Thanks Tad and Pitbull. I was debating whether or not to chime in. You guys said a lot of what I was thinking. Like Slighter, I'm Japanese and Irish. To me, the drawing's fine. Not a big deal at all. It looks like Tom. The problem is that the word "Japan" is a very derogatory term for the reasons stated above. I'm a pretty laid back guy, and not really a big fan of the PC police either, but there is a line where things become disrespectful. All it takes is a little commong sense. I wouldn't use the "N" word to describe someone of Black heritage because it is derogatory and extremely disrespectful. I'm sure most of you would agree with that. For many people of Japanese descent, the term "Japan" carries a similar weight. I'm not writting to attack any of the previous posters. Just trying to clarify why some people take issue with it. I'm not sure how you could teach a history course and not be aware of the implications of the term.

Callaway Epic

Callaway Apex Hybrid
Honma TW Muscle Backs
TP Mills Custom Soft Tail

[edit:]

beruo, your reply is honestly appreciated. Thanks.

I also think your reply was pretty harsh. Was it deserved? Some of it certainly was. Was all of it? I don't know, I'll have to think about it. I assure you that you have miscontrued at least part of what I stated. So it goes. I will only add to the above to say this: a good teacher often makes a statement to draw out ideas so they can be explored.

Perhaps someday the opportunity will arise for a better talk. Unlikely, but maybe. Until then, this post will have to suffice - right now, I stand by what it says.

Now, I'll be happy to let this thread die.

[edit-edit:]

I am so sure that I have been misconstrued that I make this offer:

beruo, if you are ever in Orlando, I will pay for a round of golf at Disney. You have to go with me, but I think you can handle it. We'll golf, we'll talk and eventually I am sure we will turn to the topics in this thread.

At the end of that time, if you agree that my ideas and posts have been misconstrued to a great degree, offer to pay for the rounds. Don't worry, I won't accept and I don't expect full agreement or anything like that - just that my posts have been misunderstood.

I also no longer teach history - only math. After we are finished, if you think I might be a pretty damn good teacher after all, just suggest I return to teaching history. Again, I won't, but I'll know what the suggestion means.

That goes for anyone else who has posted in this thread - head to Orlando and I will pay for a round at Disney. You know the rest - I just thought beruo deserved a personal invitation after his post :)

Absolutely. If I'm ever in Orlando, I wouldn't miss the opportunity. I think our views are a little closer than it appears here. I've been working in a prison for the last 8 years and don't have the thinnest skin. I also majored in education (elementary, so won't be able to hang if we get outside of 2nd grade math) and am a minor history hobbyist--but only to the extent that I like reading historical biographies, with the caveat that there won't be a test. I do apologize in advance for what will probably be one of the longer rounds you're probably used to, but that's going to have more to do with my golfing ability than repercussion from this thread. I hope that it comes sooner than later, as I've already established the 2:1 ratio for time allowed in changing an opinion from having existing one. ;)

now--my last statement on this matter (except for a totally unrelated post to follow)

For what it's worth, I'm not a fan of the PC movement. However, I am a fan of some modicum of cultural sensitivity. I'd like to think that we've progressed from the days of government-released posters reading "gather scrap, kill a Japan" to help with the wartime efforts. I think that this has less to do with clinging to the idea of political correctness and more to do with a broader world consciousness. I just see the "japrechaun" as step back in time.

:hi:

Rules-

Posting here is a privilege not a right.

- No personal attacks on anyone.

Sorry to bring that up but Beruo, that was kind of a personal attack on one of your members. But I am sure you know the rules better than I, I just wanted to know how you could just rip down headonastick like that and get a way with it. I am sure I will be banned for this but let me know how I am wrong on this. He stated his opinions and you come back and rip him down as a teacher and say you hope your daughter never has him as a teacher.

anyways...

Tom does not do this to stir up people. He doesn't come to these forums and rarely hears about what goes on in them... He does not have the time. I no longer have the time to come into these forums as much either... by the looks of it... I am almost kind of glad. I got a PM about Beruo's signature and his slash through the logo... that just rubbed me the wrong way a little bit. Now look where this has gotten us. Most of the stuff in here has turned into a class on Cultural issues or what not.

Tom, our Designer, and I worked on this and what Tom wanted it to mean is obviously being missed by some... We are sorry for that... If you think that Tom is out to hurt people then you are seriously wrong. I'll say it again.... Tom LOVES the logo, he LOVES the name, The logo has been up for a month or more and I am still very very very busy doing quotes, some of which state they love the new logo. That said... Please remember the Japrechaun is a secondary logo. A special fun logo for us to put on some stuff. Tom's Needle Logo will always be our primary.

I appreciate the thread and some of the posts are excellent and some aren't.

But I guess it is a good discussion piece for a golf board/forum.

Really? You want to play publically? This couldn't have been something left to a PM as is the usual course of action? Okay then.

No, I did not attack Headona personally, and I think he would say the same. I did take issue with some of his posts, and with the perceived trend behind his posts. But even if he was hugely offended, I could always hide behind "it wasn't my intention" as that seems to be the M.O. of this current conversation. ;) Plus, while I absolutely detest the semantic game, I said that "I pray my daughter is never subjected to a teacher like you." (emphasis added) Big difference, and I outlined exactly why. But as HeadonaStick mentioned, dynmics change IRL versus e-exchanges. Taking issue with someone's e-pinion, and countering hardly amounts to an attack. I could have gone softer, but I don't play touch football either.

As for you getting banned for your post. Hardly. But it is bad form to bring something totally off-topic into the public when a PM would be more warranted. I publically responded to a public post. I am curious though, would I be banned for questioning your moderating on the slighterforum in a cheese-ball way? Would I get banned for having an opinion wildly different from the status quo? My guess is "yes." But if a tree falls on the slighterforums, would anybody hear it? My guess is "no."

Feel free to drop me a PM sometime Mitch when you have a problem with my moderating. Or drop another one to Gxgolfer, or easyyy if you think I should be reined in a bit more. :)

:hi: