2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Rounds with a Vintage Bag

Got nine holes in this morning right on the heels of a T-storm as it was pouring on my way to the course. With a clear sky in the west and the heavy stuff subsided, my group and I headed out as the first group on the course about quarter past eight for some fall golf.

I haven't played in almost a month, so wasn't expecting much and had brought along a grab bag of different things from a couple of War birds, to a Citation brassie and a Ginty to go with my trusty Precision II BeCu irons, Watson wedge and a Zebra putter for the day.

My swing felt quite reasonable, but results were anything but, particularly off the tee. I think I had one decent tee ball all round that being a greened tee ball on 4 of about 180 yards with a Heavenwood. Short and left seemed to be the order of the day.

I had a variety of approach shots to deal with from 30-120 yards and had great luck with my scoring clubs getting the desired result. That likely saved my round as I was abysmal from further afield with anything other than the Ginty.

Putting was okay, neither making anything nor bloating the scorecard with 3 jacks. I was happy with how I scored, but scuffled too much to reach a number worth mentioning. At this point of the season it just doesn't really matter all that much anyway. It may not have been the wisest idea to play vintage after a fairly lengthy layoff, but the clubs were handy and shooting for score wasn't really the idea anyway. Still I got in a game with a group I haven't played with in a while and we had good fun enjoying what turned out to be a bright fall morning. That's all you can ask for!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Had some fun out on a beautiful fall day. Played the 54' Top Flites and some Macgregor persimmons. Not sure what I'm going to do once the winter hits:

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

Earlier this week ... some evening millionaire's golf ... no-one else on the course, just me, a leather bag, MacGregor CW2 persimmon woods, Toney Penna Original blade irons 2-PW, a Cleveland Classic SW and Spalding TPM6 putter.

Unadulterated golfing bliss !

First time out with all these clubs. Very sharp leading edges on the irons, so chunked a few off the deck, but more than made up for it with the iron tee shots, hitting all the Par 3s to leave birdie putts of 6 feet, 4 feet, 15 feet and 10 feet, and made three of them ! The TPM 6 really rolls the ball beautifully ....

Won't be many evenings like this when the clocks go back ... roll on Spring ....!

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

Earlier this week ... some evening millionaire's golf ... no-one else on the course, just me, a leather bag, MacGregor CW2 persimmon woods, Toney Penna Original blade irons 2-PW, a Cleveland Classic SW and Spalding TPM6 putter.

Where'd you get the wooden bag stand?

First time out with all these clubs. Very sharp leading edges on the irons, so chunked a few off the deck, but more than made up for it with the iron tee shots, hitting all the Par 3s to leave birdie putts of 6 feet, 4 feet, 15 feet and 10 feet, and made three of them ! The TPM 6 really rolls the ball beautifully ....

Won't be many evenings like this when the clocks go back ... roll on Spring ....!

My non-golfing dad made it for me as a birthday present a few years ago ... just two strips of hardwood with a few holes drilled, and a leather thong (which eventually snapped, so is now a bit of washing line, as that is what I had lying about at the time :) ). The connector came free from IKEA - one of those males/female bolts that screws inside itself, which leaves less hardware to catch on the clubs (I put the stand inside the bag when walking between shots).

The stand works great - much better than a Chinese stand bag in my opinion !

Got nine holes in this morning with the coffee clatch gang. I've mentioned them before, but haven't played with them this year until recently. Bill told me that today was his 123 round of the season! We'll try for one more outing on Wednesday next before they head for SC for a holiday.

Right now is my transition season between curling and golf. They usually don't mix well following the first few games of curling as my body adapts to those movements, but today was an exception. I hit several quality shots with a variety of clubs, perhaps the most gratifying being a Ginty out of thick rough from about 165 yards that ran through the green on 8 to come to rest against the far collar. 5 pars and 4 bogies made for my best scoring round in quite a while the secret being getting back to my trusty Zing putter. I've got some work to do on dialing in distance with lags, but it is by far my most dependable option from in close.

Good company, great weather, good golf -- I think Bill nipped me by a stroke based on his chip-in birdie on 3 -- and a frost delay of only 10 minutes or so from our 8:52 tee time. Can't ask for more than that even though the clubhouse girl was in hangover mode for the second Saturday in a row! It's tough being a party girl when you got to work the weekend and it's Octoberfest! :bad:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Oh my goodness, they do look beautifull is that a mackenzie bag? What are those headcovers? They look fabulous. i must sort myself out and get down to goodwood, course looks beautifull Geoff.

I played today but have yet to put the vintage stuff into play but did tip the toe in the water by using an old 1968 Ping Karsten Co Anser. 1st hole 40mph wind into, brutal day holes. 50 footer for a birdie :) after that it was a bit of a mixed bag, but next its the intent to put all the retro gear into play!

Oh my goodness, they do look beautifull is that a mackenzie bag? What are those headcovers? They look fabulous. i must sort myself out and get down to goodwood, course looks beautifull Geoff.

I played today but have yet to put the vintage stuff into play but did tip the toe in the water by using an old 1968 Ping Karsten Co Anser. 1st hole 40mph wind into, brutal day holes. 50 footer for a birdie :) after that it was a bit of a mixed bag, but next its the intent to put all the retro gear into play!

The bag is by Links & Kings - found cheap (ish) on US eBay a couple of months ago ... cheapish in the grand scheme of leather golf bags anyway :)

The headcovers are a set of 1/2/3/4 vintage suede ones that I picked up at some point in the last 5 years for "not alot".

Come on down to Goodwood whenever you fancy it Dave - I have a bunch of guest tickets I need to use up !

@golfnut1964, I'll take some pics of the bag stand from different angles just as soon as it stops raining - been a very wet weekend here ! :)

A fall round at University Ridge in Madison, which hosts a Champion's tour event. This is the back nine:

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

After dipping my toes into the vintage bag yesterday using my old Karsten Co Anser today I took out this little lot for a few late evening holes in between the storms.

Ben Hogan speedslot driver

Wilson 3 wood

Macgregor M85 1980 remakes

Wilson Sandy Andy sand wedge

PLOP putter, remember those? Seve used one for a while.

I also snuck in the taylormade M2 driver in forma few comparisons along the way.

First few holes weather was lovely a bit cold, but got hit by a big storm which lasted for about 15 minutes, seemed to play better in the storm than out, not sure what that says. Played about 9 holes and was nice to get out in the evening before the clocks head back.

78FBC8F6-7B5C-4BB2-9EDF-A3355B7EF05A_zpsfj8wukhc.jpg

Colokroms m85

41834967-12DA-44F8-B3FE-0D7290BC7635_zpsgunzhgvq.jpg

Clouds looming

E02F8294-F6CC-4A03-853C-287C95F5C296_zpssm2jdq3f.jpg

1843F04E-E874-4829-BC52-25B18C1FFFC7_zps17tnkd9s.jpg

Plop

5D0327E3-08F5-49AF-860E-B44A66E36C3A_zpsweuhmcxy.jpg

11th

241A4624-AB42-429B-8F06-37A4CF817000_zpstap914oq.jpg

After dipping my toes into the vintage bag yesterday using my old Karsten Co Anser today I took out this little lot for a few late evening holes in between the storms.

Ben Hogan speedslot driver

Wilson 3 wood

Macgregor M85 1980 remakes

Wilson Sandy Andy sand wedge

PLOP putter, remember those? Seve used one for a while.

I also snuck in the taylormade M2 driver in forma few comparisons along the way.

First few holes weather was lovely a bit cold, but got hit by a big storm which lasted for about 15 minutes, seemed to play better in the storm than out, not sure what that says. Played about 9 holes and was nice to get out in the evening before the clocks head back.

78FBC8F6-7B5C-4BB2-9EDF-A3355B7EF05A_zpsfj8wukhc.jpg

Colokroms m85

41834967-12DA-44F8-B3FE-0D7290BC7635_zpsgunzhgvq.jpg

Clouds looming

E02F8294-F6CC-4A03-853C-287C95F5C296_zpssm2jdq3f.jpg

1843F04E-E874-4829-BC52-25B18C1FFFC7_zps17tnkd9s.jpg

Plop

5D0327E3-08F5-49AF-860E-B44A66E36C3A_zpsweuhmcxy.jpg

11th

241A4624-AB42-429B-8F06-37A4CF817000_zpstap914oq.jpg

One of my running buddies that we call "Checkers" (long story) uses a Plop putter but his is brass I think. He can putt the lights out with that thing. His brother is a fellow club ho like me and some of it sometimes filters down to "Checkers" from time to time but he absolutely will not depart from the Plop putter

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Not the greatest photos, but a general idea of what I played with this afternoon, my blades and lumber outfit. It's the first time out for such a bag for me without even any range time on the blades so I wasn't sure what to expect.

PowerBilt Citation 2W

Spalding Executive 5W

Stan Thompson Ginty

Golden Ram Axial Tour Grind 3-5, 7-PW

RAM Tom Watson 55° SW

PING Zing

Callaway Supersoft

I only played nine as it was cold with a high of only 9° C at my "home" course. I kept score just out of curiosity, but that really wasn't the point as I was going solo on an open course. I just wanted to see how a set like this might play.

I was pleasantly surprised! The blades weren't nearly as tough to deal with as they are typically advertised, but I'm preaching to the choir here. I only had two really bad mishits; a bladed 7 iron on my first hole approach and a toed SW on nine after a short tee shot. The Supersoft ball played nicely with the clubs as I didn't notice any nasty stingers on the poorly struck balls even with the cold temperatures.

I hit some decent tee shots with the 3, 4 and 5 irons. In fact I think these blades actually play a bit longer than my vintage cavity backs, perhaps a half club or so longer and that was on less than perfect strikes. I found the short irons and PW to be about as reliable as any other clubs of those lofts that I have used.

Shot of the round was a perfect drive that split the fairway on eight with the Citation leaving me with only 85 yards to the green, so the tee ball traveled about 205 yds. I had two "good" drives with that club and two others that were less so, but all four were in the fairway, so I wasn't playing out of any sort of trouble.

I mixed in three pars with three bogies and three others. I was actually surprising myself with my scoring until the ninth hole and things sort of fell apart with a couple of poorly executed SW shots. Still a very enjoyable game with a score that is actually quite competitive with easier and more modern clubs in the bag. I suspect that things would be somewhat different on a longer course though, but this was fun!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

• 2 weeks later...

Played this morning with Haig Ultra Driver, 4W, 6,8,9 irons and putter. Wet and chilly this morning, the course was just soaking wet. Really remarkable, I was hitting everything pretty well, but putting poorly. I played only nine, woulda, coulda, shoulda broke 40 if I putted better. It's remarkable, getting 210 or so with the driver, and almost 200 with a 4W, on such a wet course.

New technology would find similar results. I wonder if the pros sometimes play with old equipment, and find very little actual difference with the latest and greatest.

Of course, they'd never admit it.

The last two days found me playing with my vintage Pings, 5,8,PW, and a TPM putter with a regular round grip. Back in the 1970's, putters had regular grips, so I thought I'd try that again. Yesterday, I played my extended R11 3W, and the day before, the Citation persimmon driver and 3W.

I really didn't play too badly, but I just couldn't get the distance I normally get, with both the woods and irons. Seems I just wasn't hitting the ball solidly. This phenomenon has occurred every so often since I was a young guy. It's like a combination of fatigue and just losing my swing completely.

I thought it was just the Citations, I haven't played them in years, but usually, the extended R11 gets me well over 200 yards off the tee. I just wasn't striking the ball solidly, even with the Ping irons.

A weird phenomenon, can't really explain it. Maybe, too much golf. I putted a bit better, though.

I got out this afternoon with my lady friend playing partner for what is likely to be our final round of the year. The Golden Ram blades were in the bag along with the RAM Watson wedge; substitutions were the Callaway BB War bird woods for the laminates and a RAM Zebra putter. Conditions were quite good for this time of year with the course green and lush and balmy temperatures in the high 50's at tee off.

WE were a bit late getting to the course, so essentially if was put a peg in the ground and go. First tee shot was a beautiful drive of about 230 yds. right down the middle! I guess you can get away without a warm-up on occasion!

Not having had a club in my hand for over two weeks led to a few interesting practice swings with a blade in hand, still that didn't seem to matter a whole lot as i was sitting +1 through 4 holes. I ended up mixing in 4 pars with 4 bogies and a double. The wedge game was really on today. I guess all that work on draw weight with my curling had a beneficial side effect on distance control with my sand iron which is my primary short game club. Putting was reasonable too even if ball striking left something to be desired, yet I managed to hit a couple of beautiful 9 irons from about 115 on back-to-back holes as our game was winding down.

If this is my final round of the 2016 season it makes for an interesting set of bookends as I shot a +8 out of the gate on March 30 using pretty much the same set-up except for having Precision II irons in the bag instead of the Golden Rams and then finish the season with a +6 today on the same tract. In between there were no scores better on this course regardless of what was in the bag!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Beautiful kit. Your setup has given me the itch to buy a leather bag. I haven't used my Jones this year, and I've noticed my Sun Mountain Sunday bag is starting to rip on the top area covering the wire support. I've been playing the Sun since I bought it in 2012 for $50 on sale, so it doesn't owe me anything. It'll still last a while yet, but I'm thinking on a new bag. My Jones sits in a corner holding my hickory shaft clubs, so prudently, I should just start using that again.

I've wanted to make one of those bag stands for years. Drew up plans from a photo, an easy project. Hopefully, I will make one this winter.

Yesterday was probably the last warm day for a while in PA. I played the vintage Pings, TPM putter, and substituted "modern" Diablo driver, and FT-iz 3W. I hit the ball much better than the previous two days, but chunked two balls off the tee into a pond with the 3W. Putted relatively well with the regular grip TPM, and scored two birdies. Would have broken 40 on the first nine, not counting the 9 on the pond hole. Maximum distance off the tee with Diablo was 210, most 200 or under. The drought condition 240+ drives are over till next summer.

Play well, gents.

PS: How heavy is your leather bag? My Jones weighs in at 3.4 pounds. I'd think a leather bag would be significantly heavier.

PS: How heavy is your leather bag? My Jones weighs in at 3.4 pounds. I'd think a leather bag would be significantly heavier.

I weighed it on the bathroom scales at 2.6Kg, which is 5.7 lbs (me without bag 82.1 Kg, me with bag 84.7 Kg :) )

I don't think you'd really notice the 2 extra pounds, but if in doubt leave out a club or two :)

Still probably have at least another week left but the course was deserted today. After playing my speed slots the other day decided to make it an all Hogan bag. The 77 apexes have the legend shaft and I have always been inconsistent with them. They are a light shaft so just on a whim loaded the heads with lead tape. Don't know if its a one and done but had a great round. Can't wait till tomorrow.