2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Putter Alignment Aid on Ball... Thoughts?

ZakRyan

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't know. I don't use a glove except for a few weeks in the summer when it's too hot and sweaty to hold on to the club otherwise.

For that matter I don't line up putts from behind the ball.

There are many ways to play golf, whether it's gloves or lines on the ball or having your caddie line up your shots for you. Once again, if any of those were real advantages they would be universal. But they're not, they are just choices no different than choosing what brand of clubs to use or choosing between a ten-finger and reverse-overlap grip.

You started the thread by asking " Do you think it's a silly fad that does nothing but slow down the pace of play?". Yes, that is exactly what it is. But to that you could apparently add "...and that makes people who do it act incredibly defensive about their habit". If you know it's such a great, obviously superior way to putt why would you start this thread in the first place?

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1376257689' post='7655270']
I wouldn't know. I don't use a glove except for a few weeks in the summer when it's too hot and sweaty to hold on to the club otherwise.

For that matter I don't line up putts from behind the ball.

There are many ways to play golf, whether it's gloves or lines on the ball or having your caddie line up your shots for you. Once again, if any of those were real advantages they would be universal. But they're not, they are just choices no different than choosing what brand of clubs to use or choosing between a ten-finger and reverse-overlap grip.

You started the thread by asking " Do you think it's a silly fad that does nothing but slow down the pace of play?". Yes, that is exactly what it is. But to that you could apparently add "...and that makes people who do it act incredibly defensive about their habit". If you know it's such a great, obviously superior way to putt why would you start this thread in the first place?
[/quote]

When did I claim it was superior? I'm responding to you saying that it's just a crutch and suggesting that it doesn't work. I'm simply saying that it does work... For some.

Different strokes for different folks.

Nike VRS Covert 2.0 Tour Driver 9.5°
Nike VRS Covert 3/15°
Nike VRS Covert 5/19°
Titleist CB (3-PW)
Nike VR Forged 54° & 58°
Scotty Cameron Newport Two

[quote name='ZakRyan' timestamp='1376240527' post='7653348']
[quote name='chickenpotpie' timestamp='1376226868' post='7652444']
Tried it, didn't like it. Just seemed like I could never get the line vertical, so I'd see a curved line standing over the ball. Worked sometimes on flat greens, but almost never on breaking putts. Ended up backing out and readjusting, which just slowed things down too much. This in turn caused me to rush the stroke to make up time.
[/quote]

Go to a golf store (or even Wal-Mart) and buy the little stencil tool that snaps onto your ball. Then take a sharpie and its as easy as pie!
[/quote]

I own several of those. It has nothing to do with my ability to put a line on the ball. If you don't have the line perfectly aligned on top, if your eyes are right over the ball, you will see curvature. It's basic geometry. Factoring in slopes and such, it's just too much of a hassle.

I've found that I "feel" the line anyway while standing over the ball, so to me, it's just too confusing. I putt much quicker now (and better) without it.

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

[quote name='WilCox' timestamp='1376257470' post='7655236']
"There is a reason the majority of pros have a line on their ball."

My observation, solely from watching tournaments on tv, is it's more like 50/50. I wonder what the stat really is.
[/quote]

Actually, They talked about it on the Golf Channel's show 19th Hole during "Pace of Play" month a while back. They said that X amount of players use the line. How much does it effect pace of play? Etc. They had a rough statistic. Which I can't remember, but it was something pretty high (like 80-something%) for players that use a line.

Nike VRS Covert 3/15°
Nike VRS Covert 5/19°
Titleist CB (3-PW)
Nike VR Forged 54° & 58°

Fourmyle, with all due respect, your argument is so silly I am almost laughing out loud at it.

Claiming it is a crutch of no value because not everyone does it is the ultimate logical fallacy. A practice does not have to work for everyone in order for it to be effective for some. There are dozens and dozens of such practices that you would apparently have everyone discard. Just run to your ball and hit. Forget about visualizing, forget about a particular pre-swing routine, forget about controlling your breathing. They are all just crutches. Forget about swingweighting, forget about using a particular grip you like. Crutches, man.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1376254645' post='7654814']
So how did all those generations of putters ever get the ball on line before these guys started crouching behind the ball and fiddling around interminably?

I can name dozens of good putters who have never putted with a line on the ball. I can name dozens of good putters who do putt with a line on the ball. If one or the other were an actual advantage then everyone would do it.

Jason Duffner drives the ball really well after waggling the club for half a minute. Yet there's Adam Scott who also drives the ball really well without all that waggling. The waggle obviously doesn't matter. Neither does playing Rain Man with lining up a mark on your ball. It's just an affectation. A habit.

If you truly believe it gains you advantage to mess around with the line have at it. People believe stupider things than that all the time.
[/quote]

Not sure I understand your position in this, unless you just happen to be in a particularly condescending mood. :dntknw:

If something works for you, it [i]matters[/i]. That doesn't make it a crutch, or "stupid", it's simply part of your game.

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

[quote name='stryper' timestamp='1376262952' post='7656176']
[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1376254645' post='7654814']
So how did all those generations of putters ever get the ball on line before these guys started crouching behind the ball and fiddling around interminably?

I can name dozens of good putters who have never putted with a line on the ball. I can name dozens of good putters who do putt with a line on the ball. If one or the other were an actual advantage then everyone would do it.

Jason Duffner drives the ball really well after waggling the club for half a minute. Yet there's Adam Scott who also drives the ball really well without all that waggling. The waggle obviously doesn't matter. Neither does playing Rain Man with lining up a mark on your ball. It's just an affectation. A habit.

If you truly believe it gains you advantage to mess around with the line have at it. People believe stupider things than that all the time.
[/quote]

Not sure I understand your position in this, unless you just happen to be in a particularly condescending mood. :dntknw:

If something works for you, it [i]matters[/i]. That doesn't make it a crutch, or "stupid", it's simply part of your game.
[/quote]

Nope, just a bad habit that takes away from the 'spirit of the game'. :)

So was the original question rhetorical? Was the really only one answer allowed?

[quote]
I'm interested in your opinions on drawing a line on your golf ball for alignment for putting. Do you think it's a silly fad that does nothing but slow down the pace of play? Or do you think it's a brilliant idea that has helped your putting stats?
[/quote]

What did I miss there?

I'm saying yes, it is a silly fad that does nothing but slow down the pace of play. Where's the part where he said "Just kidding, of course it's a brilliant idea and shut the hell up if you don't agree"?

Why would someone ask my opinion, offer two alternatives and then take offense when I agree with one of them?

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1376263866' post='7656264']
So was the original question rhetorical? Was the really only one answer allowed?

[quote]
I'm interested in your opinions on drawing a line on your golf ball for alignment for putting. Do you think it's a silly fad that does nothing but slow down the pace of play? Or do you think it's a brilliant idea that has helped your putting stats?
[/quote]

What did I miss there?

I'm saying yes, it is a silly fad that does nothing but slow down the pace of play. Where's the part where he said "Just kidding, of course it's a brilliant idea and shut the hell up if you don't agree"?

Why would someone ask my opinion, offer two alternatives and then take offense when I agree with one of them?
[/quote]

[quote]
[color=#282828]It's the moral equivalent of those silly LPGA Tour players who have their caddie stand behind them and line them up on every shot. Look idiotic, slows down play as is far from spirit of the game [/color][color=#282828][size=4][/quote][/size][/color]

[color=#282828][size=4]Because then you say things like this ^[/size][/color]

[color=#282828][size=4]It's easy to take offense when you convey your thoughts like a D bag[/size][/color]

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1376265193' post='7656418']
Gee, if you take offense at an opinion like that I'd hate to see how you'd react if someone started calling you names.
[/quote]

Well you've already called one person in this thread a tosser today so why don't we leave it at that and not find out.

Some people like the alignment aid, some people don't. I can use the alignment aid when I putt and not play slowly, and I make more putts so in the long run it saves time. Unless manufacturers are told to make blank golf balls there will always be something on the ball that can "help" someone putting. Focusing on a specific point on the ball (like a dot or the #) engages the "quiet eye" and makes some people putt more effectively, and that's in the same vein as putting a line on the ball.

[quote name='360_CS' timestamp='1376264485' post='7656342']
I just started doing the drill of trying to get the line rolling straight, it's harder than it looks. When I'm playing I use it but it's just really a guide.

Do you put the line around the whole ball or just half?
[/quote]

It really doesn't matter. I just put it on about half the ball. Which ever is your preference.

Nike VRS Covert 3/15°
Nike VRS Covert 5/19°
Titleist CB (3-PW)
Nike VR Forged 54° & 58°

[quote name='ZakRyan' timestamp='1376265968' post='7656504']
I just started doing the drill of trying to get the line rolling straight, it's harder than it looks. When I'm playing I use it but it's just really a guide.

[/quote]

It really doesn't matter. I just put it on about half the ball. Which ever is your preference.
[/quote]

I just wondered because when I try to put the line around the whole ball I can never get the lines to meet up properly.

[quote name='360_CS' timestamp='1376270355' post='7657008']
[quote name='ZakRyan' timestamp='1376265968' post='7656504']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I just wondered because when I try to put the line around the whole ball I can never get the lines to meet up properly.
[/quote]

You need one of these for they will allow you to put a straight line on the ball...
[url="http://www.technasonic.com/GOLF-BALL-BALANCER-GOLF-BALL-SPIN-BALANCER-WITH-DVD-p-31.html"]http://www.technasonic.com/GOLF-BALL-BALANCER-GOLF-BALL-SPIN-BALANCER-WITH-DVD-p-31.html[/url]

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17° / 910h 24° & 27°
Titleist 913Hd 20°
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56°
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1376232401' post='7652790']
I think it's a crutch for people desperate to make the ball do what they want. Which of course is hopeless. You could draw a line on the ball, a line on the green, fix every spike mark within 20 feet of your line and have Steve Stricker stroke it for you and they're still not all going to do what you want them to do.

It's the moral equivalent of those silly LPGA Tour players who have their caddie stand behind them and line them up on every shot. Look idiotic, slows down play as is far from spirit of the game.
[/quote]

If it is truly hopeless to get the ball to do what we want then why do we even try? Since drawing a line on my ball I went from averaging 36 or so putts per round to 29.6 putts per round as my latest average. As for the fact it slows down play, well that is just silly. Unless your are extremely new to putting your line down where you want it then it shouldn't take any more than 10 seconds. I can assure you I could find many players that stand over their putts fiddling with their alignment for much longer than it takes me to place my ball and step up and hit it. If it truly affected my pace of play as bad as you claim it would then explain to me how I can play 18 holes in 2-3 hours 3 times a week?

It sounds to me like you are a purist which is completely fine by me however my argument has actual data that proves that the line helped my putting. Heck if there was evidence that I hit my shots X feet closer to my target by doing a cartwheel and spinning around twice before hitting my ball then you can bet your a$$ that is my new preshot routine. While some things might not be able to truly be tested if they do have an impact it all comes down to personal opinion. Most of this game we all love happens in the 6 inches between your ears. If doing something like having a line on my ball improves my confidence in making a better putt why wouldn't I do it?

[quote name='simple36' timestamp='1376286388' post='7658400']
[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1376232401' post='7652790']
I think it's a crutch for people desperate to make the ball do what they want. Which of course is hopeless. You could draw a line on the ball, a line on the green, fix every spike mark within 20 feet of your line and have Steve Stricker stroke it for you and they're still not all going to do what you want them to do.

It's the moral equivalent of those silly LPGA Tour players who have their caddie stand behind them and line them up on every shot. Look idiotic, slows down play as is far from spirit of the game.
[/quote]

If it is truly hopeless to get the ball to do what we want then why do we even try? Since drawing a line on my ball I went from averaging 36 or so putts per round to 29.6 putts per round as my latest average. As for the fact it slows down play, well that is just silly. Unless your are extremely new to putting your line down where you want it then it shouldn't take any more than 10 seconds. I can assure you I could find many players that stand over their putts fiddling with their alignment for much longer than it takes me to place my ball and step up and hit it. If it truly affected my pace of play as bad as you claim it would then explain to me how I can play 18 holes in 2-3 hours 3 times a week?

It sounds to me like you are a purist which is completely fine by me however my argument has actual data that proves that the line helped my putting. Heck if there was evidence that I hit my shots X feet closer to my target by doing a cartwheel and spinning around twice before hitting my ball then you can bet your a$$ that is my new preshot routine. While some things might not be able to truly be tested if they do have an impact it all comes down to personal opinion. Most of this game we all love happens in the 6 inches between your ears. If doing something like having a line on my ball improves my confidence in making a better putt why wouldn't I do it?
[/quote]

I completely agree.

I think what got everything tilted towards the negative is that Fourmyle's post was a little insulting. Saying that it's a crutch (suggesting something's broken), that it looks "idiotic" and comparing the use of an ailment aid to having another person line up your putts for you, break rules by removing spike marks, or drawing a line on the green. What a gross over exaggeration. I created this topic to spark debate, but not to get insulted because I choose to do something.

Nike VRS Covert 3/15°
Nike VRS Covert 5/19°
Titleist CB (3-PW)
Nike VR Forged 54° & 58°

I started doing this and find that it helps me a lot. I wear progressive lenses (graduated bifocals) and I just wasn't confident that I was getting myself properly line up especially on the shorter putts. If there is a spot on the ground or something in front of the ball I will use that but you can't always depend on finding something in the grass to use. btw I use the line on the ball (the bridgestone e5's have a short line with a half arrow on them). Personally, I find the actual markers drawn around the ball to be distracting, but that is just me.

Yeesh, shocked that someone could be so offended by this topic. Seems like this is extremely common on tour so I assumed it's one of those things that either works for you or it doesn't.

The way I see it, all putts are straight putts and the line makes that clear and simple. For me, it actually speeds up my time on the greens. I've read the putt well before my turn, and it might take me an extra 3-4 seconds to find tune and place the ball but once I get over top of it I pull the trigger quickly, usually without a practice swing. My putt becomes about bringing a square club face to the line at the required speed. And after impact the line provides instant feedback - 90% of the time it rolls end over end but when it doesn't I know I made a sloppy stroke.

Taylormade SIM Max  – 10.5°
Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H   

Yeah, no practice stroke for me either.

For the record I am no more "offended" by people fiddling with a line on their ball than someone dressing like Rickie Fowler or waggling nervously like Jason Duffner. I just said it was silly, wastes time and is not necessary. Like any number of other habits we indulge in on the golf course.

I feel like I can almost never get the line pointed exactly the way I want. Even if I do, it doesn't look right to me at address. It's easier for me to just visualize the line, set my putter square to it, take a practice stroke, and go. I intentionally put the ball in an orientation where I can see as little marking as possible.

[quote name='mikes919' timestamp='1376323076' post='7660514']. I intentionally put the ball in an orientation where I can see as little marking as possible.
[/quote]

Me too. Anything like a line would encourage me to try and steer the putter, which is the putting "death move" as far as I'm concerned.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1376322871' post='7660472']
Yeah, no practice stroke for me either.

For the record I am no more "offended" by people fiddling with a line on their ball than someone dressing like Rickie Fowler or waggling nervously like Jason Duffner. I just said it was silly, wastes time and is not necessary. Like any number of other habits we indulge in on the golf course.
[/quote]

I putt left hand low as well, I'm guessing I should jump off a bridge?

Taylormade SIM Max  – 10.5°
Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H