2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Most Embarassing Moment on Course

mikpga

I have two that come right to mind...

1. Pro-Am at Camargo CC...Balanced myself on fence post,only to have it give out from underneath. I was rushed to the emergency room for a broken and dislocated left elbow...We were 2under through 5 holes...

2. My first high school match at Kenwood CC...Playing in the last group, with all the parents gathered around the 9th green...Around 60 yards or so, my trusty Watson wedge, parking lot to my right...What shot do you think reared its' ugly head? Crash into a Cadillac...Good news was I one putted and finished with a double bogey and a 46...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I would say one of them would have to be this past December I was in Orlando at Reunion Resort and Golf CLub for a week and one day as we were playing I hit my drive into the right rough. The rough was rather thick and the ball was on a uphill lie. Well, I pulled out a wedge and commenced to shank it directly right onto the roof of the condos that sat about 10 yards off the course.

After that I dropped and didn't take the time to gather myself and then hit the same club and hit the same condo but this time I bounced it off a shutter and landed it on the balcony.

School qualifier. Shot a 31 front nine only to follw with a 48 on the back

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

Being tackled in the rain on the green by my "drunk" foursome after my hole in one. I was soaked and they tore my pants from butt to ankle.

I had to sit in the bar, buy them more drinks while wearing pants that were drenched and ripped.

I was wearing Mickey Mouse Boxer Briefs under my pants.

Joe

Side note I don't drink, making this a very miserable experience!

Driver: Ping G425 Max 10.5  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 55 Stiff
Wood: Ping G425 5 & 7 Wood  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 75 Stiff

Hybrid: Ping 425 4i Mitsubishi Tensei Orange

Wilson D9 Forged 5-GW

Ping Glide 4.0 54 and 58 Wilson Tour Forged 56 and 60
Putter: LAB Directed Force 2.1 (33-69)//Seemore Custom "The Big Fluffy"
Bag: Vessel Player III

Mine would have to be golfing after spending an afternoon boating and enjoying many, many, many beers then having the in-laws decide they wanted to go golf a few hours after getting off the lake. Tee shot on #2 lost my balance and hit the metal tee markers and put two small dents on my 4 wood. I was so embarrassed and mad I messed up my club.

;)

:cheesy:

Bring on the comments!!!!!

On the last hole of our 54-hole league finals, which was the par 5 18th of harding golf course in griffith park. (If you haven't played harding the LA zoo runs up the right side of the hole.) I ended up winning league individuals by 11 shots so I figure I was probably up about 14 going into 18. So anywhos I piped my drive and waited about 10 minutes for the green to clear, everyone else in my group layed up and I'm thinking to myself that they are probably expecting some amazing shot so I could end in style. Well, I hit it and it is this low slicing peace-missle scud thing and one of the kids yells "Fo' in the tiger cage!!!!" and my ball just frickin nails the koala house, talk about the shot heard 'round the world that was loud as hell from 150 yards away imagine what it sounded like inside....the koalas are probably frickin deaf now, thanks to me......so much for closing it out in style.....SOLID!!!!

After a night if cheap beer drinking with my buds... we decided to go golfing next day earlyish the next morning. Every thing going fine until about the 7th hole when the brewing began. I felt the beer S^##S coming on so fast that I had to leave in between shots and waddle my way tippy toed to the 12th where there was a bathroom. LUCKILY I made it, or the embarassment factor would have been multiplyed by a million and would have moved away, and made new friends.

On the last hole of our 54-hole league finals, which was the par 5 18th of harding golf course in griffith park. (If you haven't played harding the LA zoo runs up the right side of the hole.) I ended up winning league individuals by 11 shots so I figure I was probably up about 14 going into 18. So anywhos I piped my drive and waited about 10 minutes for the green to clear, everyone else in my group layed up and I'm thinking to myself that they are probably expecting some amazing shot so I could end in style. Well, I hit it and it is this low slicing peace-missle scud thing and one of the kids yells "Fo' in the tiger cage!!!!" and my ball just frickin nails the koala house, talk about the shot heard 'round the world that was loud as hell from 150 yards away imagine what it sounded like inside....the koalas are probably frickin deaf now, thanks to me......so much for closing it out in style.....SOLID!!!!

Hmmm.I have heard the "Fo in the Tiger cage" story on more than one occasion.Told by many different people...

TM M2 2017 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 65 S
Ping G400 14.5 PING Tour 80g S
Ping Anser 17* 23* PING Tour  S
PING iE1 5-PW Modus3 105 S
PING Glide 2.0 50* 54* 60* Modus 115 Wedge S
BioMech 41"
NDMC Plus 4
ProV1

Hot, humid Oklahoma summer, I was already dripping with sweat by the second hole. Walking that day didn't help either. I was paired up with some random guy and after two holes of casual small talk, I proceeded to take a nice, firm middle iron swing only to have my club slip out of my sweaty palms and fly about 30 yards in front of me. Needless to say after my single serving friend shot me a "what the f$%k" stare, we didn't speak much for the rest of the nine and parted ways shortly thereafter. Last time I played in the summer without a glove.

this past november i was on vacation in charleston, sc visiting family. on a 15 day vacation i played 19 rounds of golf - unfortunately some of my worse golf. i developed the shanks. the crowning moment of the shanks was the 18th at the cougar course at kiawah island. hit a decent drive but then shanked my iron. my third shot was from 80 yards out and i was hitting my 58* wedge and of course shanked it towards the clubhouse. ball hits the cart path, flies up on to the terrace and bounces all over the place. i went up there, putted off the terrace and took double boogey for the hole. i went in the clubhouse afterwards, like nothing happened and asked about playing a round on the ocean course in which they responded "it looks fairly open of there but there not going to appreciate you hitting the new clubhouse over there."

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

Hmmm.I have heard the "Fo in the Tiger cage" story on more than one occasion.Told by many different people...

It's a pretty standard line for when a shot is going way offline, but what makes it funny at griffith park is that there actually is a zoo next to the course. It's not like that kid made up the "fo in the tiger cage" line.

The day I shot 67 at Tobacco Road I played a three wood off #15 right down the middle. I get to my ball which is only 60 yards from the green but on a severe downslope, below my feet. I tried to hit my 58* wedge and hit the ugliest chunk/shank that went about 20 yards right. Worse shot I've ever hit. Here i was 4 under and then that. I wanted to hide in my divot. Luckily on the next hole I stuck a wedge to a foot for tap in birdie. Golf is crazy.

What a humbling sport: I came up with another one.

Several years ago I was headed for some tough marital issues and was invited last minute to go on a 40 man golf trip. With my handicap at the time I was seeded as the number 2 golfer.

When we hit town the night before the first round we went to one of the bars (Masters). Without sounding silly in the past I have spent very little time in a places like that.

Well down trodden and newly single I went nuts and drank over 150.00 dollars of hard drinks on my own tab, not to mention the shots and beer my "friends" kept buying me. I wound up wearing a napkin that specified which dancer and waitress I belonged to. As I mentioned in earlier threads....I don't drink.

It was a long night and I was sick on the way back to the hotel, and all night in my room. I went to sleep in the empty bathtub because I could not stop puking and or releasing from other various outlets for the booze and food I ate.

At 5:00 am I woke up in the tub and started to clean myself and the bathroom up...it was disgusting. I was still dizzy and puking at breakfast and on the way to the course.

On the first tee in my ABCD draw (I was the A player) I apologized to the guys and said I don't know how this going to work. I proceeded to throw up on every tee through 12 holes.....and I shot 97.

That night in the meeting the group leader started calling everyone's name in the room asking each guy to stand up and remain standing. At the end of this roll call I was the only sitting and he then announced to the group "Congratulations, you have all beaten the number 2 player today"

I did rally for the rest of the 5 day trip and post 4 reasonable rounds, but I'll never live that moment down.

My nickname for the trip was "Just Gin Joe"

Joe

Driver: Ping G425 Max 10.5  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 55 Stiff
Wood: Ping G425 5 & 7 Wood  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 75 Stiff

Hybrid: Ping 425 4i Mitsubishi Tensei Orange

Wilson D9 Forged 5-GW

Ping Glide 4.0 54 and 58 Wilson Tour Forged 56 and 60
Putter: LAB Directed Force 2.1 (33-69)//Seemore Custom "The Big Fluffy"
Bag: Vessel Player III

WOW - and I thought I had some bad times on the course!

Mine just involves hitting a ball and it bouncing off a roof covering a drinking/sitting area.

The dudes that were under the roof jumped and as I went over and picked up my ball, one dude said "BOY - you best not let that ever happen again!" with a mean face in cut-off jean shorts and a wife beater.

Good times.

--TW

My senior year in high school I had been playing some of the best golf of my life coming into a dual with a school that isn't known for its golf team. The course was short and the greens were prime, and I thought to myself this should help the average. I thought wrong the first hole I block my drive OB and end up with a double, but then I get to the first par 5 and I get the 'S' word and I stare at an 8. I end up with a 47 and a bruised ego. I'm going to go cry to myself now...bye

Here's one: Twelve years ago, I'm teeing off on the first hole and there's a tree about 30 yards in front and to the left that has overhanging limbs that aren't really in play. I hit a sky ball off the top of the club and the ball launches at like 70* and hits one of the limbs. It bounces off the limb and lands on the tee box about 15 yards behind me. Luckily there were only 2 other groups there but I laughed it off.

Being tackled in the rain on the green by my "drunk" foursome after my hole in one. I was soaked and they tore my pants from butt to ankle.

I had to sit in the bar, buy them more drinks while wearing pants that were drenched and ripped.

I was wearing Mickey Mouse Boxer Briefs under my pants.

Joe

Side note I don't drink, making this a very miserable experience!

;) :cheesy: ;) :D (cool) :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :crazy: :miz: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

oh oh, i got three more.

1. friend tees up at a company competition ... 1st hole. he take a full swing and hits the ball. ball pops up about 12-15 feet in the air and drops straight down on his head, which results in him letting his lungs go with a gigantuous "OOOOOOUCH!!!" there were about 30 people around the tee-box and everyone got a huge laugh out of it.

2. ex-boss tees up at a charity open. the fella hasnt hit a golf ball in probably 3 years (no handicap, the sponsors just assumed he could play) ... as you can imagine, the course was lined with people. first ball he shanks ...ball flies into the belly of a really large fella, dropping him like mike tyson. thank goodness there was no blood. needless to say, da boss gave up after the 2nd hole. i believe he shot a 15 on the 1st hole.

3. i tee up, do a practice swing, then go for my shot. twack ... the shaft suddenly feels really light. i see ball flying, head in tow spinning down the fairway. the ball lands in the fairway about 270yards away (decent, not perfect strike); the head ends up in a banyan tree about 70 yards on the left. i end up doing the indian / bollywood dance around the tree looking the the head. flight mates (and it was with clients) all got a massive kick out of it. had to tee up with an iron the rest of the holes (i believe it was 12 more) because i didnt bring another wood.

At the first hole of a club near Shanghai (that I had never previously played) I went to the back tee, while the caddies went to the yellow medal tee. When they noticed their mistake they came back to me but looked decidedly uneasy.

Starting Marshall comes zooming over in her cart and officiously warns me that only sub-ten handicappers can play off the blues.

No problem, says I, as I plant the tee in the ground with nonchalance aplenty.

Pre-shot routine normal, address ball and, with caddies and starter looking on in polite silence, I grandly proceed to hosel-hook it about 20 yards left and in front of the tee.

Fortunately, having immediately glared at each entirely innocent onlooker as if attempting to determine which one of them had let rip a Hippo fart in my downswing, I took another ball and striped it down the fairway.

1) IT Industry event sponsored by Network General.

2) 4-some from The Vanguard Group.

3) Playing The Talamore at Oak Terrace Private Course (Very Nice)

4) Myself, Manager, 2 co-workers, numerous other Network Professionals in 4-somes of their own.

Shotgun start, 13th hole was our first tee, large marsh with tall thick brush directly in front of box forcing you get the ball airborn ASAP, Boss steps up to first tee after all of us picked him to lead off the day, grabs his driver, why????? Skulls ball into rough, ball hits a hidden log and shoots back out heading for managers face, ball hits the cigar that was in his mouth, cigar explodes, ball continues on into his nose, nose explodes in blood and my boss drops like a ton of bricks, ball continues on after deflecting off of boss' noggin and ends up landing in his cup of beer that was in the cupholder of his cart.

Boss was out of work 2 weeks to heel and get a nose job to repair wrecked nasal passage and collapsed bridge of nose. Entire group chipped in some money to help with surgery. Talamore invited the whole group back for 4 free rounds at their private country club. Not really funny once we learned what had happend but we ended up laughing about it at every venue we attended when it was his turn to lead us off.

We bought him a "Jason" hockey mask and had the word "Titleist" with a red #1 stamped on the forhead.

We call him "Rhino" which is short for Rhinoplasty! Now it's funny!

Callaway XR Pro 9* Mitsubishi Fubuki zt 70x tipped .5"
Callaway XR Pro 14* Mitsubishi Fubuki z-fw 85x
Mizuno MP- 33 3-pw KBS-Tour x stepped x 2
Nike VR Forged 52*,56*,60*
Mizuno Bettinardi C-03 Blade @ 33"
Titleist Prov1x

Once I waited for the green to clear on a par 5 and then I didn't even hit it! That was pretty bad.

Now I just lay up.

Taylormade OG Stealth 10.5º (Ventus Red R)

Taylormade 17' M1 HL3 17º (Kuro Kage 70 S)

Titleist 910H 21º and 24º (Stock Diamana Kai'li R)

Srixon 745 5-PW (TT DG Lite S300)

Titleist Vokey SM4 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.09S

Titleist SC PP Del Mar 3.5 or Odyssey WHP #7

Royal M Taper 360's

i cant say that many embarassing things have happened to me that would be funny, i just havent been alive long enough. but my dad has seen a bunch of stuff. one of our friends at a golf course was on the first tee with a cart path (with their carts on it) and a putting green to the left. the guy takes a full swing and hits the ball dead left. it goes under the cart across the cart path and ends up like 2 feet from the putting green. so my dad thinks its hilarious and brings over some guys that are walking to the club house and one of them says "Hey Dan if you took a lil bit more club you couldve drove the green." this didnt get him too happy and he ran into the locker room and had to get persuaded to come back and play.

I've seen some pretty bizzare golf shots on the course, which were usually a source of entertainment rather than embarassment to the players that hit them, but the most embarassed I've seen someone on the course was from an incident with a guy I was paired up with four or five years ago at a local course.

This guy was in to golf. He has the full staff bag, "players" clubs, was dressed like a pro. But that day he was using one of those remote control battery powered golf bag trolly things. I could tell he must have just gotten it...it looked brand new, and he was fiddling with the remote a bit on the first few holes. But he had it down pretty well. It was like one of those commercials...a care-free jaunt down the fairway with your club robot/caddie making its way to your ball up ahead.

Anyway, we're moving from one hole to the next, and chatting about business/careers etc, and he's guiding the thing along up ahead, and all of a sudden, he's frantically jabbing at the remote, then he's off in a sprint up ahead, just in time to watch as his caddy flips right off the edge of a tall, very low sided walking bridge over a fairly deep creek.

I learned a new definition of composure from that one. I really felt bad for him, because it was a disaster...the fall broke the thing, the battery came off, the whole staff bag submerged in the creek, etc.

I helped him get it all out, but I still get a guilty chuckle out of recalling that whole scene.

First hole of a tourney I was playing in Spain, knowing only my wife and the organizer (everyone else was his buddies from Denmark). This was my first full round after having broken the first knuckle in my ring finger 3 weeks before. I got up there and managed to snap-hook my tee shot right towards the clubhouse parking lot. The only thing that saved me from smashing someone's windshield was clipping a pine tree and the ricochet. Yeeeesh. Teed another one up and let it fly down the fairway.

Once I waited for the green to clear on a par 5 and then I didn't even hit it! That was pretty bad.

Now I just lay up.

Wow, if that is the most embarrasing moment, you are doing OK. That happens to me about once a round, but I still won't lay up unless the situation warrants it!

Some of these stories are pretty good. I will have to think of a good one as i have many.

Now I just lay up.

Wow, if that is the most embarrasing moment, you are doing OK. That happens to me about once a round, but I still won't lay up unless the situation warrants it!

I was thinking the same thing. I've seen too many foursomes wait on a "driveable" par 4 for the green to clear before they take their tee shots. I'm usually lucky if ONE of them is anywhere near it, usually the others only make it half-way. :drinks:

July of '98

I was embarassed for LW,

Our 4-some get polish, chips and beer at the turn. when we get to the 12th our buddy aka LW tees off and then says he has a "belly-ach". Im driving down the cartpath and look over to see the other cart zigzaging down the FW hitting every bump and rough spot from t to green. (had to B there) LW the belly-acher has his a** off the seat w/ 1 hand on seat and 1 on seat rail for shock absorbers. The driver was just laughing his Word not allowed off (drove by LWs ball, didnt want it!) got to the green and 3 of us finished. There is no john aroud and we were as far from the ClubH as possible. LW couldnt wait and went bhind a pump house and cried " what do I wipe with? " I said use your sox! DumbWord not allowed came back around with a :drinks: big grin and was wearing 1 sock .... :drinks:

Talk about 3 guys with a story to tell and tell !! :drinks:

It was 90* and we were all wearing shorts and had red lobster lines on our legs and ankles if you know what I mean!!!!!

BB the score keeper drew a turd on the score card for #12 for LW. He shot a 88 for 17 holes!

Now I just lay up.

I was thinking the same thing. I've seen too many foursomes wait on a "driveable" par 4 for the green to clear before they take their tee shots. I'm usually lucky if ONE of them is anywhere near it, usually the others only make it half-way. :drinks:

There are only two par fours I have ever even been able to drive in one. One only plays 245, and the other is 286 uphill. Yet, everytime I play the latter hole, the entire group will wait because everyone can hit the ball 300 these days.

Most embarassing for me was one night during league, I snap hooked my drive and hit a tree 50 yards away so solid that it came back on a rope and nearly hit me.

Another time, I invented a crap-tacular new shank. If you swing over the top, and don't close the face, you get a wonderful push-slice that goes nearly horizontal into the woods 30 yards away :drinks: