2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Trap Five: Misunderstood Rules

Gxgolfer

By Erik J. Barzeski via TheSandTrap.com
Click for Article>>>Here

The Rules of Golf aren't terribly complex, but there are some tricky ones out there. Which five rules are the most misunderstood rules in the game?

The Rules of Golf are not terribly complex. Complexity is naturally reserved for the Decisions on the Rules of Golf! </sarcasm> Jesting aside, the rules are fairly simple so long as some basic concepts are understood. Those basic concepts include what to do when your ball finds a few different areas (hazards, ground under repair, the green, "through the green," etc.), the idea and definitions of equity, fairness, and intent, and the pervading rule to play the ball as it lies.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there who insist that they're playing "golf" despite not playing by the rules of golf. Let's look at some of the more misunderstood rules of the game we love so much.

Number Five: Improving Stance or Swing
You hit the ball into the trees. Intrepid, you climb in after it, pushing yourself against some small branches. You take your stance. "Crack." A limb snaps. The penalty? Two strokes for improving your stance or swing.

Craig Stadler laid a towel down under a tree to keep his trousers clean once. The two-stroke penalty he incurred after turning in his card in turn led to a disqualification.

Rule 13 prohibits improving the lie, area of intended stance or swing, or line of play and building a stance. Read up on it.

Number Four: Unplayable Lies
The Unplayable Lie rule (#28) is often misunderstood as containing a clause about the line of flight when in fact the only "line" involved in the ruling is that which exists from the location of the ball and the hole.

At any time (except when in a water hazard), a player may declare his ball unplayable, and he has three options at that point:

1. Play a ball from the spot from which the original ball was last played.
2. Drop a ball within two clublengths, no nearer the hole, from the location of the ball.
3. Drop a ball anywhere on the line from the location of the ball to the hole.

Those are your only options, and the line of flight does not enter into the equation at all.

Number Three: Water Hazards
Rule 26 covers water hazards, of which there are two varieties: red and yellow, or lateral and standard water hazards. In reality, the rules are quite simple, and the lateral hazard rule only adds a third option to players:

1. Play a ball from the spot from which the original ball was last played.
2. Drop a ball anywhere on the line from the spot at which the ball last crossed the hazard and the hole.
3. If the hazard is a lateral water hazard (red stakes or lines), drop a ball within two clublengths, no nearer the hole, at the margin where the ball last crossed the hazard or at a point on the opposite margin of the water hazard equidistant from the hole.

Additional water hazard rule for those adventurous types that enjoy getting wet: you cannot ground your club in a water hazard.

Number Two: Lost Ball
A ball is lost if the ball is not found within five minutes of searching, the player has made a stroke at a substituted ball, or the player has made an additional stroke at a provisional. A ball cannot be declared lost if there is reasonable evidence that the ball is lost in a water hazard or obstruction.

The lost ball penalty is the stiffest in golf (aside from disqualification): stroke and distance. Rule 27 covers both Lost and Out of Bounds balls, and the penalty in both cases is to re-hit from the original location with a one-stroke penalty.

Many golfers in cooler climates play "leaf rules" sometimes, eliminating the penalty for a lost ball due to the inordinately large number of leaves that fall from trees in the autumn. Better just to be safe: watch your ball as long as you can and remember the exact location it lands.

Number One: Gimmes
There's no such thing as a gimme. Period. Shots and holes may be conceded in stroke play, but if you're going to play by the rules, just putt everything out. There's no such thing as a gimme in stroke play of any kind. Besides, hearing the ball fall into the cup is positive reinforcement. So just putt out, okay?

Just Missed the Cut
Ground Under Repair - Ground under repair, unless your ball is on the putting green and the GUR is on the putting green, is measured only for stance and swing. If you're just off the putting green and ground under repair lies between your ball and the green, you're not entitled to anything simply because you intend to putt through it.

Handicaps - Though not technically a rule, handicaps are governed by the USGA. Handicaps are intended to measure a player's potential, not his scoring average, which is why the top 10 of the last 20 scores count.

Question For You
What rules do you believe are the most misunderstood in the game?

"This article is republished with permission from The Sand Trap .com and
remains copyright © The Sand Trap .com. All rights and privileges reserved."

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rule that I see misapplied most often among those who claim to play by the rules is the one about water hazards. Lots of folk cavalierly walk up to where their ball landed and then take two club lengths from the hazard line nearest that point. As pointed out in the above article, where the ball is dropped is determined by where it "crossed the line of the hazard" vs. where it landed. That spot is way back there where that power fade shot over the water vs. way up here where the ball is plugged in the bank but inside the hazard line. I called this one on myself as my playing partners were maddly waiving that the ball had been found in the hazard. I went back to the tee -- a whole lot easier in the long run.

The rule that I see misapplied most often among those who claim to play by the rules is the one about water hazards. Lots of folk cavalierly walk up to where their ball landed and then take two club lengths from the hazard line nearest that point. As pointed out in the above article, where the ball is dropped is determined by where it "crossed the line of the hazard" vs. where it landed. That spot is way back there where that power fade shot over the water vs. way up here where the ball is plugged in the bank but inside the hazard line. I called this one on myself as my playing partners were maddly waiving that the ball had been found in the hazard. I went back to the tee -- a whole lot easier in the long run.

37049[/snapback]

that's the one i always see too. i played with my two bosses a good bit and one would joke about the other guy always playing the ball from the incorrect spot because he couldn't figure out the difference between red and yellow hazards--it was always an inside joke between us when i happened.

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418

• 10 years later...

Click for Article>>>Here

Link does not work. Do I need to register on Thesandtrap.com in order to read it?

Number Four: Unplayable Lies

The Unplayable Lie rule (#28) is often misunderstood as containing a clause about the line of flight when in fact the only "line" involved in the ruling is that which exists from the location of the ball and the hole.

That is strange. I have never ever heard anybody declaring his ball unplayable due to a problem with the line of flight. Never. Besides, it is up to the player to declare their ball unplayable for any reason imaginable (for the player). Why would they be interested in any clause?

Is this somehow being mixed up with Rule 24-2, i.e. immovable obstruction?

Number One: Gimmes

There's no such thing as a gimme. Period. Shots and holes may be conceded in stroke play,

Really?

Lateral hazard is easily the most misunderstood rule - most think you can drop "laterally" from where the ball landed. So if it crossed the hazard off the tee but carried 250 yards into the lake you can drop up there. Unplayable is also liberally interpreted - 2 club lengths from the ball often doesn't obtain a clear swing so it becomes 2 club lengths from the tree, bush, cactus or whatever a player has gotten himself into.

Any situation involving free relief is also rarely executed properly - best point of relief is more common than nearest point.

These are misinterpretations, myths like can't use broken tees, borrow a towel from a FC, can only use a sand wedge from the sand, can't pick up a lost club and myriad of other silliness also exist en masse.

Number Five: Improving Stance or Swing

You hit the ball into the trees. Intrepid, you climb in after it, pushing yourself against some small branches. You take your stance. "Crack." A limb snaps. The penalty? Two strokes for improving your stance or swing.

Craig Stadler laid a towel down under a tree to keep his trousers clean once. The two-stroke penalty he incurred after turning in his card in turn led to a disqualification.

Rule 13 prohibits improving the lie, area of intended stance or swing, or line of play and building a stance. Read up on it.

I read up on it. Maybe it's a penalty, maybe it isn't according to Decision 13-2/1 which says in part . . .

Examples of actions which do constitute fairly taking a stance are:

• backing into a branch or young sapling if that is the only way to take a stance for the selected stroke, even if this causes the branch to move out of the way or the sapling to bend or break.

IMO not pointing out the exception is kind of sloppy writing for an article about the Rules.

Click for Article>>>Here

Link does not work. Do I need to register on Thesandtrap.com in order to read it?

LOL, iacas usually lets someone at least post at least once before berating or banning. ;-)

No kidding. He'll be instructed to read Tufts (good advice, to be sure) and then grovel. On the other hand, there are some good Rules guys posting there.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

Many people do not realize that there may be local rules in effect that will take precedence over the official USGA rules.

Local rules do not take precedence. This is a big misunderstanding of many clubs. A local rule may not cancel or modify a rule of golf without an exception granted from the USGA / R&A. As such, many local rules clubs make are actually invalid.

The Rules consist of the rules, the decisions, valid local rules and conditions of competition.

Many people do not realize that there may be local rules in effect that will take precedence over the official USGA rules.

Local rules do not take precedence. This is a big misunderstanding of many clubs. A local rule may not cancel or modify a rule of golf without an exception granted from the USGA / R&A. As such, many local rules clubs make are actually invalid.

Actually they do take precedence, Wade, and that is why they are there for. A Local Rule either narrows or extends the actual Rules, as long as they are according to the principles laid down for the LR's.

For example, a Local Rule for embedded ball to cover Through The Green. That LR extends Rule 25-2.

Or a Local Rule declaring all roads to be integral parts of the course. That LR excludes Rule 24-2 from operation as far as roads are concerned.

Wrong Ball vs. Incorrectly Substituted Ball

If I grabbed 100 golfers at random, I might get 5 golfers who would know the difference.....assuming I got 5 golfers who went to a rules workshop. :)

A ball is lost if the ball is not found within five minutes of searching, the player has made a stroke at a substituted ball, or the player has made an additional stroke at a provisional. A ball cannot be declared lost if there is reasonable evidence that the ball is lost in a water hazard or obstruction.

Whether or not a provisional ball becomes the ball in play has nothing to do with how many time you hit it. He should have stopped with "A ball cannot be declared lost". The rest of the sentence makes no sense.

Wrong Ball vs. Incorrectly Substituted Ball

If I grabbed 100 golfers at random, I might get 5 golfers who would know the difference.....assuming I got 5 golfers who went to a rules workshop. :)

Whether or not a provisional ball becomes he ball in play has nothing to do with how many time you hit it. He should have stopped with "A ball cannot be declared lost". The rest of the sentence makes no sense.

Yikes! My head had already exploded and I didn't read far enough to see these other heinous errors -- more dramatic than the one I pointed out.

You're not helping me like the article any better . . .

Actually they do take precedence, Wade, and that is why they are there for. A Local Rule either narrows or extends the actual Rules, as long as they are according to the principles laid down for the LR's.

For example, a Local Rule for embedded ball to cover Through The Green. That LR extends Rule 25-2.

Or a Local Rule declaring all roads to be integral parts of the course. That LR excludes Rule 24-2 from operation as far as roads are concerned.

Bad wording on my part. The point I was trying to make is that a club cannot supersede a rule of golf they don't like by simply instituting a local rule, unless that local rule is one of the accepted local rules, or has been approved.