2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Newbie's First Thread / Scotland & Ireland Advice

bcwgobuffs

Newbie here -

I am the designated researcher and planner for our group seeking to go across the pond to Scotland or Ireland next summer. It's a crap job, better to be the driver or passenger than the actual navigator, but I digress.

The feedback I am getting from several, allegedly, reputable trip companies indicates that if we want to play the Old Course, we might already be past the 2013 date to get a guaranteed tee time summer 2014. Especially true if the week we travel is not flexible. Also hearing that the local 'lottery' system is unlikely to get 8 of us on the course on the same day, 4 more probable. This seems logical.

So, if you've done this drill, did you have to commit and make deposits this dang early for a July "following year" trip?

Did you consider taking the Old Course out of the mix and if so, did it buy you more time to make decisions and get commitments / deposits from your group?

Clearly it seems smaller groups would be more flexible, but I am bit surprised that they seek commitments so soon -- well duh, it could be a sales pitch to get revenue in the door, but then again, it could be fact-based and subject to supply and demand economics.

What other suggestions do you have?

As info, we are leaning to 7 days, 5 rounds (6 or 7 for the true fanatics) and middle to lower -end accommodations allowing more cigars and whiskey.

Many thanks in advance for a few words of advice from all of you.

BCW in Omaha

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for accommodations, when I played at the Old Course I stayed at a place about 15 miles south in the village of Crail. I'm not 100% sure if they'd have room for 8 though. The proprietors were very nice and accommodating and the food was good. Also, Crail has a fun course of it's own.

I'll try to find the name of the B&B if you are interested.

The first decision you should make is whether you're going to Ireland or Scotland. You can't do both unless you stay much longer than 7 days. I've visited both, and my overall opinion is that Ireland is a little cheaper, the courses are more scenic, and easier to access. But the Old Course ain't in Ireland. If you're married to the idea of playing some of the British Open courses, then Scotland it is.

Once you decide where you're going, there are lots of people on the forum with helpful advice.

Thank your for the feedback so far -- I'm interested if others agree that Ireland is perhaps less expensive and equally if not more scenic.

It is great to hear from you since you've done both trips.

One Golf Booking firm recommended Crail as our first course suggesting that it is a great course to help transition to links golf.

Please keep the feedback coming -- the unbiased feedback from golfers is very helpful.

[quote name='bcwgobuffs' timestamp='1380224873' post='7915503'] Thank your for the feedback so far -- I'm interested if others agree that Ireland is perhaps less expensive and equally if not more scenic. It is great to hear from you since you've done both trips. One Golf Booking firm recommended Crail as our first course suggesting that it is a great course to help transition to links golf. Please keep the feedback coming -- the unbiased feedback from golfers is very helpful. [/quote] Here's a good shot of Balcomie Links in Crail:  photo 100_1141_zps65c8a964.jpg

I really enjoyed Ireland more as it was less touristy and less expensive too. The people in Ireland were incredibly friendly as well.
With regards to courses, Royal County Down was my favorite by far. Others were visiting are (in no particular order):
Royal Portrush
Portmarnock
Rosse's Point
Ballybunion
Lahinch

There are 8 of us booked for SW Ireland in mid July 2014 since early August. Bought plane tickets in early sept. Our hotels are confirmed, limo company is confirmed and half our courses are booked and we're awaiting confirmation for the remainder. So yes, if you're going prime time you have to book early. My previous trips to Scotland and Ireland were all in May, so it was much easier to book.

We spent 3 days in St Andrews and with 8 guys managed to get 3 foursomes out on the old course over two days. Our trip company handled the lottery for us. We also played Carnoustie and Kingsbarn while there, both worth the time.

We're playing Tralee, Doonbeg, Dooks, Old Head, Ballybunion, Waterville and Lahinch on this trip.

[quote name='johnnylongball' timestamp='1380220738' post='7915159']
The first decision you should make is whether you're going to Ireland or Scotland. You can't do both unless you stay much longer than 7 days. I've visited both, and my overall opinion is that Ireland is a little cheaper, the courses are more scenic, and easier to access. But the Old Course ain't in Ireland. If you're married to the idea of playing some of the British Open courses, then Scotland it is.

Once you decide where you're going, there are lots of people on the forum with helpful advice.
[/quote]

I disagree. I've done Scotland and Ireland quite easily in a week before. We flew into Edinburgh, stayed 3 nights and played North Berwick (a gem), Gullane 1, and Muirfield. We left early the next day and drove to Gleneagles where we played the King's Course. After the round we drove to Troon, had a late lunch of fish and chips on the harbor, drove down through Turnberry and grabbed a ferry to Belfast.

Next morning we toured the Titanic Experience, hit the Bushmill Distillery and played 18 at Royal Portrush. The following day we played Royal County Down and flew home the following day.

Not hard at all. The only downside was being in Troon and Turnberry again and not getting to play those two magnificent courses again. That said Portrush and Royal County Down are absolutely spectacular.

It is true that to make advance tee time reservations on the Old Course for any time in 2014 you had to submit your application the first week of September 2013. I would suggest getting Allan Ferguson's book called "Golf In Scotland. It is the only thing you'll need to plan the trip. You do need to decide where you want to go. My advice is to focus on one or two locales to keep the driving to a minimum and spend more time playing golf and other fun activities.There are more than enough great golf courses in svereal areas of Scotland and Ireland that it is not worth galavanting around either country just to check off a famous course from your bucket list.

In Scotland, I'd suggest Fife, East Lothian or Ayrshire. Pick one or two of those areas. In Ireland, I'd suggest the Southwest areas (Co.s Kerry and Claire.

Make your plans ASAP to assure good lodging and tee times.

In [b]East Lothian[/b], I'd suggest staying in or near North Berwick. from there it is a short ride to about 20 courses or Edinburgh if you want to be a tourist. Seaholm is a fantastic B&B right on the Firth of Forth and walking distance to North Brewick West Liks or the Glen. It is small and probably won't holf 8 guys unless you are sharing rooms. Other choices are The Glebe House and 12 QUality St B&B. Golf courses I'd suggest are North Berwick WEst Links, Muirfiled (which may already be booked up) Gullane #1 and #2 ( a greta 36 hole day) Dunbar. If you want a high end (expensive) course see if you can get on Tom Doak's new Rennaisaince Club. Other choices for old time linksw courses are Longniddry, Kilspindie and Luffness.

Photos of E Lothian courses: [url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/collections/72157633560759917/"]http://www.flickr.co...57633560759917/[/url]

In [u][b]Fife[/b][/u], I'd suggest staying in St Andrews or at a B&B called the Spindrift located in the small fishing village of Anstruther about 15 minutes from St Andrews. They can easily handle a group of 8 and will treat you great. In St Andrews, Play the New Course and try to get on the Old Course through the daily ballot. All 8 of you might not get on, but some of you will likely do so. If you want an expensive treat play Kingsbarns which is about 10 minutes from St Andrews. Other great Links are Crail Balcomie and Crail Craighead ( a nice 36 hole day), Lundin, Leven, Elie, Scotscraig. You can also drive about a half hour to Carnoustie.For a break from links you can play Ladybank which is a parkland style course

Fif Photos - [url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/collections/72157633548001984/"]http://www.flickr.co...57633548001984/[/url]

In [u][b]Ayrshire[/b][/u], you should stay at the Sandhill House which overlooks Royal Troon (you can sneak in a few holes before nightfall if you dare) They can handle 8 visitors if not already booked up. Must plays are Prestwick and Western Gailes. An expensive treat is Turnberry Ailsa. You can also play Turnebrry Kintyre, Glasgow Gailes (one of the friendliest clubs I've ever visited) and Dundonald. Other old school links to consider are Irvine, Kilmarnock Barassie, and Prestwick-St Nicholas.

Ayrshire photos - [url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/collections/72157632042047308/"]http://www.flickr.co...57632042047308/[/url]

My wife is calling so I'll post about Ireland later.

If you love the history of golf go to SCOTLAND. If you want great golf with wonderful people go to IRELAND.
BALLYBUNION,LAHINCH, TRALEE , OLD HEAD ,WATERFORD , MY FAVORITE IS THE EUROPEAN CLUB , K CLUB,KILARNEY AND FINISH UP AT PORTMARNECK.
Downton Ballybunion has a statue of Bill Clinton playing golf, that the people refer to as: SLICK ON A STICK.
I think the pubs in Ireland are more fun than Scotland.

Have fun.

Put together as detailed an itinerary as you like. Then do one simple exercise. Add up the number of hours you will be on a golf course. Add up the number of hours of down-time where you'll (presumably) be relaxing and enjoying each other's company. Then add up the number of hours you will be moving from place to place or otherwise engaged in ground transportation activities (including packing/unpacking and loading/unloading).

Ask the members of the group if the ratio between all of these numbers suits them. It is easy to build a trip where the number of in-country travel hours far, far exceed the number of golf hours. Be sure everyone is cool with that. Some people don't mind averaging 3-5 hours a day of moving about during a week-long trip, others might find it objectionable.

[quote name='knothead63' timestamp='1380320640' post='7921429']
I really enjoyed Ireland more as it was less touristy and less expensive too. The people in Ireland were incredibly friendly as well.
With regards to courses, Royal County Down was my favorite by far. Others were visiting are (in no particular order):
Royal Portrush
Portmarnock
Rosse's Point
Ballybunion
Lahinch
[/quote]

i just played portmarnock, carton house - montgomorie, and The Island a few weeks ago. portmarnock was my fave of those three. highly recommended if you are staying in/near Dublin.