2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Random conversation thread

The beer-buzzed conversation at the bar turned complex and humorous last night. The subject noted the similarity between hi-tech materials used in bicycle racing and golf equipment, which led to a discussion about how all these companies like TaylorMade and Mavic are owned by similar, if not identical, parent companies. Then a juxtaposition was made about doping and medical testing in bicycle racing, and professional golf. Moving beyond the drugs, which seemed a little far-fetched for golf, but not entirely implausible, a what-if premise was iterated: what if professional golfers ridiculously tweaked their equipment illegally, kind of like a corked bat in MLB? So I postulated a futuristic scenario where the USGA suspects a player's ball, cuts it open in the middle of a round and discovers a humming cicada inside. The USGA official, before disqualifying the player, nonchalantly exclaims to the viewers at home, "Just what we thought: another cicada ball. It's an alarming trend we need to be extremely vigilant against."

That got a serious laugh from the bartender. I'm glad something good came from the "serious" conversation.

Now I think I need to order a custom dozen balls branded with this new mascot. Or patent/copyright the name Cicada Golf. If you want to grow the game, you need an unlikely hero, a dorky, hipster mascot to do the trick.

I think that the possibility of wide spread, systemic doping in golf is fairly high considering the money involved. It makes one wonder when you see the number of players standing down from potential Olympic selection. There's lots of convenient excuses to use in this instance.

When you look at golf versus all the other major sports it's naive to think that this hasn't happened. I don't know what the drug testing policy is of the PGA Tour and the governing bodies when it comes to amateur championships. I can't recall any professional player of being suspended for the use of PEDs. It's pretty difficult to believe that they are all that clean.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Confessions time with Scooter.

I ordered a modern driver and FW, plus a set of irons less than 10 years old to put together a modern bag. These will go well with the 3h I bought last week, but didn't tell you guys about.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Confessions time with Scooter.

I ordered a modern driver and FW, plus a set of irons less than 10 years old to put together a modern bag. These will go well with the 3h I bought last week, but didn't tell you guys about.

Did I start something? ;)

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Nah Sco, I had been toying with the idea for some time. In a year like this one where I'm lucky to get in 9 holes a week, I'm simply not playing frequently enough to make my sojourns with classics anything but frustrating. For work purposes, I was also wanting less of a distinctive bag - I'd like to appear a little more, how do we say, ah yes, normal.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

In ten years of playing I've never seen or smelt weed being used on the golf course. Spectator sporting events are another matter.

Call me a stuffed shirt, but if I got paired up with a couple of stoners I would walk off the course and demand my money back! No different than being paired with a couple of drunks. I've got nothing against having a cold one or two after the round, just don't foul up my enjoyment of the game during play. (Might have something to do with working on a course; having to deal with a few A-holes that got to the point of calling in police.)

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Never encountered anyone smoking weed on the course. Played with a few alcoholics, though. Twenty some years ago, I played enough golf to really improve, going from under 100 was a good round to the mid 80's. Thought I could be a really good golfer. One Thanksgiving day after Friday, the weather was mild enough for golf, so I drove to the local public course, where I found the place crowded. The pro shop guy gave me a bunch of crap about tee times, come back later in the afternoon.

I was ready to leave when a guy asked me if I wanted to join their group, they needed an extra guy. I heartily accepted. Anyhow, we played 27 that day, a good bunch of guys. Some of the guys were getting drunk from hole #1 onward, and playing better than me, stone sober.

I ended up losing about $20, but I realized I was a recreational golfer only. I'd never be really good or scratch.

Still, it was a great day.

RAIN! Real rain! Not a sprinkle or a tease, but a real gutter washer! The first rain of significance this month, in fact the first rain of significance in three months or at least it seems so.

It's going to take a lot more than this to rescue things, but it's a start which often seems to be the hardest part.

:yahoo:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

From my perspective here in Wa. state I have smelled burning weed on the course. Personally it doesn't bother me on the course. A playing partner I play with in our men's club events doesn't burn any during our events. On a boys round last year I was the 4th with my buddy and they imbibed in some adult beverages and some smoke. I don't do either so I ended up as designated driver. everyone got home safe.

Jimmy B

On another note! one of my coworkers shares an apartment with the head maintenance guy of the apartment building. They had to evict a tenant. they gathered up the leftover stuff in the residence and put it in a holding area to see if they come back for the left stuff. My coworker had told me there was a range finder and some putters,a driver and some other golf odds and ends. the time passed and the coworker brought in the box of stuff. As the stuff was being pulled out of the box the driver was a TM r11s,next came out some alignment sticks. A frankley frog putter. The last item starts to come out of the box Black grip red scribble. At that point my other coworker said my expression changed as the Cameron head cover comes out of the box. I am guesing it's a 2012-13 newport 2 select. At lunch I checked some of the same putters on the bay and figured it was a real macoy and gave my coworker the $100.00 mad $ that had been in my wallet. I love the putter and to get me away from my bullseyes I say I am keeping it in the titleist family:-)

I tried the driver cant hit it, my wife can't hit it. She took it and said she will sell it,so it doesn't stay and grow dust. She doesn't like the Frog putter. The roommate kept the rangefinder.

Happy with the new to me putter, Jimmy B

From my perspective here in Wa. state I have smelled burning weed on the course. Personally it doesn't bother me on the course. A playing partner I play with in our men's club events doesn't burn any during our events. On a boys round last year I was the 4th with my buddy and they imbibed in some adult beverages and some smoke. I don't do either so I ended up as designated driver. everyone got home safe.

Jimmy B

Yeah doesn't bother me any either. Would way rather be playing with people smoking that just get the giggles that ones that get drunk and belligerent. I don't smoke or drink anymore either, but to each his own, isn't hurting me any.

Smellysell, will be in MT this week. driving to St. regis Wednesday after work. Playing the little 9 hole course there Thursday early AM. then on to lewistown where my wife is from and playing 18 on Sat.I am taking the Bacon Smoker clubs.

Jimmy B

I like Trestle Creek, it's a fun little course, really tight in some places. Where are you playing in Lewistown? I've heard Pine Meadows is nice, but have never played it even though the wife's family is from over there.

Coming out of retirement to work for the superintendent at Yeamans Hall. Part time playing privileges are part of the perks.

A nice little salary to supplement my 2 retirements, keep me busy, and around other golf nuts.

Hey Dude, that sounds like a good gig. Nice catch. Maybe you can mow greens to the speed you like and add another perk to your day! :)

is the TW stuff selling anymore

Driver- TITLEIST TSr1 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 KBS Tour Lite 100s
Wedges- CALLAWAY Jaws Raw Black SF 95
Putter- SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 9.5

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

Well, here's the modern bag.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1022759-scootermctavish-vintage-witb/page__st__30?do=findComment&comment=14021876

Can't say I'm proud, but it's not horrible, and I did it on an OK budget.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Thanks Randy,

And as golf is a cruel mistress the clubs started to show up last Tuesday to coincide with an extremely busy week at work.

I'll be lucky to get them out this week.

I hope you enjoy the new retirement job - my wife has often discussed my future career as a course marshall.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Report from Montana rounds with the hickorys. Trestle Creek went pretty good, the wife and I were the first out on the course. Ended up +6 42 for the round with slow dew covered greens. score was good swing never got loosened up.

Judith shadows was ok, never been there so wasn't sure what to expect. Round 1 on Friday wasn't good wasn't bad never got loose? don't know why. Lost a couple of balls. Highlight of the round was a chip in eagle on 18 from about 60 yards out. Hit the shot to the elevated green and saw it bounce and then heard the ball hit the flag pole. Couldn't see the green from below where I hit? Watched the wife hit up and walked up to the green and looked for my ball, didn't see it and walked up the hole and there it was in! 90 for that round. Round 2 was with the wife and brother and sister inlaws who don't play allot so it was slow and again couldn't get loose. had some good shots but lost some more balls. 2.5 hours for the front 9. Inlaws played the front and left. wife and I played the back in 1.5 hours. hot for us Seattle folks in the 90s. Shot another 90. Fun was had and it was good to play!

Played back in Seattle monday withe the moderns and like all ways the moderns after the hickorys everything feels flush when hit. popped off a 78 with 1.56 putts for the round. vacation over and play Thursday night 9 hole round tonight!

Jimmy B