2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Under armour outlet store clearance rack? Is this what they call a deal?!?!

xplyboy

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='borgore23' timestamp='1382311469' post='8031589']
It's funny all you guys expect to get something for nothing. Must be an American mindset. No wonder your economy is shot. You expect to get 50%+ off of stuff before you'll buy anything. If the stores don't make money they don't exist. If you don't make money you go broke. So how about you support businesses. This thread is a joke.
[/quote]

Does it get boring stereotyping entire nations?

[quote name='xplyboy' timestamp='1382901118' post='8065227']

Apparently, some of you guys just are not getting what I'm complaining about. In my OP, I said I could care less what retailers charge. They can charge a million for a shirt for all I care. What I am complaining is don't put it in a CLEARANCE rack and only discount it 6% off retail. The clearance rack has always been historically in the history of all retail been a nice if not deep discount off retail, period. If they want to charge a million dollars and barely discount in this case, 6%, then don't put it in the clearance rack. That's all I'm saying
[/quote]

sale rack isn't sale enough.... grunt

[quote name='gunmetal' timestamp='1382915797' post='8066043']
[quote name='borgore23' timestamp='1382311469' post='8031589']
It's funny all you guys expect to get something for nothing. Must be an American mindset. No wonder your economy is shot. You expect to get 50%+ off of stuff before you'll buy anything. If the stores don't make money they don't exist. If you don't make money you go broke. So how about you support businesses. This thread is a joke.
[/quote]

Does it get boring stereotyping entire nations?
[/quote]
Love how he makes a comment about America and then runs off.

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck

This is the first I've seen this thread...
Saturday morning (26 OCT) made the 24 mile sojourn to the "local" UA outlet store. Ready to buy. Left empty handed.

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17° / 910h 24° & 27°
Titleist 913Hd 20°
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56°
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

Of course most people want a deal. Why the heck not? Getting gouged for a shirt or pants or whatever is rediculous. $40-$100 for "golf" specific clothing is a joke. I actually buy most of my clothes on the BST for great deals. I just got a pair of UA pants and a brand new Nike shirt for $30.

As an example, I got a Callaway 1/4 zip pull over as a gift that had a price tag of $75. I washed it 1 time before even wearing it and both L's in Callaway fell off. That's what $75 gets you? Pffft. No way. I bought a Slazenger one, same thing - almost exact, for $30 brand new 3 years ago and is still good as new. That was with Zero discount.

Outlet stores went the way of the Dodo a loooong time ago with the rise of the internet and ecommerce.

Ping G 9* - Oban Devotion
Wilson Staff D200 - Elements Chrome
Adams Speedline LP - Matrix Radix
Ping S55 5-PW - KBS Tour V
Ping Glide 50.56 - CFS
Seemore Si5

Hey
Some people shop at nordstrom and others shop at kohls (where if you ever pay full price you're an idiot because there's always a sale and then they give you store credit for buying- what a joke).
I just want to know when or what happened that caused people to say "I'm not paying full price anymore." It's kind of interesting

[quote name='apprenti23' timestamp='1383009717' post='8071493']
Hey
Some people shop at nordstrom and others shop at kohls (where if you ever pay full price you're an idiot because there's always a sale and then they give you store credit for buying- what a joke).
I just want to know when or what happened that caused people to say "I'm not paying full price anymore." It's kind of interesting
[/quote]

Sounds like competition to me. And like someone said, "Originally $80, now $25!!!" doesn't really mean much. How many places got in trouble for inflating prices right before a sale so they could advertise a bigger discount? These stores know how to tap into psychology and bring enough sheep in. A buddy of mine had a store of Disney-type memorabilia. One time, he put on a sale, and his flyer said "Up to 80% off." The number of people coming in asking where the "80% off stuff was" was ridiculous. And it was just a handful of crappy items.

It's like the "you could save hundreds" ads. Sure I could "save" a lot on a suit, but if I wasn't in the market for one, did I really save, or just not spend as much as I would have? Companies will do anything they can to separate you from your money. At this point in time, it's convincing people that they are getting a deal that works quite well. Perhaps at some point it will shift the other way, or it will go in a completely different direction. Either way, it's simply about getting you to think a certain way in order to give them your money. Look at cars, and even houses. Banks and dealerships do not talk in terms of paying off in a certain amount of time, they talk about the payment you can afford each month. It's not a $60,000 loan for a car you have, it's a $399/month payment to drive a BMW(math may be different, this is just an illustration).

Getting back to the OP, UA's trick pretty much worked, because he went over there and looked. He didn't buy, but they have a certain % they figure will. There is a decent segment out there that would look at what the OP saw and think they better jump on this deal while it lasts. They see it on the "clearance" rack, and their minds have gone from trying to find a deal, to "ok this is clearance so we're already off to a good start." Not everyone takes the second step to see really what they are getting, and those are what the companies call the sweet spot. Or suckers to most people.

[quote name='xplyboy' timestamp='1382727553' post='8057649']
[quote name='Bluefan75' timestamp='1382720704' post='8057011']
Was just down at the Cincinnati outlets somaplr is talking about. We also hit the Vero Beach outlets in Florida quite a bit. Things have changed. My wife and I have walked out of Nike stores with absolutely nothihng, which would have been unheard of not that long ago. But the prices weren't great, and we didn't necessarily need anything, so.... I am able to get a pair of Rockport shoes at a good price, and got a mock turtleneck for my dad at a place that isn't up here, but otherwise, it's just a collection of stores for the most part. Although I did find jeans that actually fit my squat-fed legs.

But for golf wear, unless I have a GC, or it's a sick sale, I won't buy Nike stuff. Too expensive. And for people who know me, that is a big thing that I won't buy Nike. I get pretty much all Haggar stuff. The Cool 18 line is just as good IMHO as Nike's Dri-Fit, and the price is very low. I don't think I've paid more than $20 for a shirt in the 4 years I've been buying their stuff(and they do last). I wear them to work and to play in. Shorts are nearly as cheap, and pants are about $5 more. If there isn't an outlet, if you pay attention to Kohl's or Bells if you're down south, you can get things for about the same price.

OP's problem was wanting to buy UA IMHO.
[/quote]

You see that's not even the gist of my post. Not nessecarily that I wanted to buy UA, if Nike, Adidas, or whatever brand put an item in their clearance rack at an outlet store no less, I would think the item would be more than a $5 savings off retail when the item is retailed for $85. What is that, a 6% discount at clearance? I just don't think a clearance is only 6% off. Put it on the regular rack then.

You mention that you won't buy golf clothes unless it's a sick sale. So what if someone said come on in, I have a 'sick sale' on golf clothes and you come to find out that 'sick sale' is only 6% off? Wouldnt you be like wtf? That's my gist of my post.
[/quote]

I don't mean this to be rude, but how old are you? I'm not quite middle-aged, but I'm closer to it than not. The number of times in my adult life I have seen some variation of "sick sale" that has turned out to be a disappointment is so large it is mind boggling. You learn to figure out a few things: 1)Always remember the goal is to get you to buy. Talk about "needs" and benefits is all nice, but unless you came in because you don't have something that will make your life very difficult, you don't "need" it. They just want you to think you do so that you buy. 2) You need to be your own filter(which it seems you have been). You need to look at it and decide for yourself if it's a sick sale or not, and not rely on what the salespeople say. Think about the waitress at the bar. Do you think she's smiling and flirting because she wants to go home with you that night? No, she's working you for a tip. Same with retail employees. They want to convince you it's a great sale, in the hopes you take their word for it. You didn't fall for it, which is good, but likely a good number did.

Maybe this is a bit age-ist, but I've learned to be very skeptical when a store tells me something is great or I need it. Partly bceause I've been burned, partly because I've managed to avoid it at the last second. Either way, I never find myself saying WTF at anything a company says, in the manner you are thinking, because they will say whatever they can to separate me from my money.

[quote name='Bluefan75' timestamp='1383065487' post='8074061']
[quote name='apprenti23' timestamp='1383009717' post='8071493']
Hey
[/quote]

It's like the "you could save hundreds" ads. Sure I could "save" a lot on a suit, but if I wasn't in the market for one, did I really save, or just not spend as much as I would have? Companies will do anything they can to separate you from your money. At this point in time, it's convincing people that they are getting a deal that works quite well. Perhaps at some point it will shift the other way, or it will go in a completely different direction. Either way, it's simply about getting you to think a certain way in order to give them your money. Look at cars, and even houses. Banks and dealerships do not talk in terms of paying off in a certain amount of time, they talk about the payment you can afford each month. It's not a $60,000 loan for a car you have, it's a $399/month payment to drive a BMW(math may be different, this is just an illustration).

[/quote]

I love this analogy. I 100% don't pay full retail for anything. I am lucky in that 95% of the time when I buy something I don't NEED it, so I have the luxary of waiting until I see something at a price I am willing to pay. I am not a car guy at all. I hate cars and I hate paying for them. My wife and I drive ours into the ground. Until 2 years ago we didn't have a car payment for close to 5 years. It was awesome. But due to our growing family we have since traded in our smaller cars for suv type cars. Both times the salesman at two different dealers tried the same trick. Hide the real # and just tell me what my payments would be. I was like I could absolutely care less what my payments are per month. Totally irrelevant to me. I want to know bottom line price for the car would be. If you get me the car for the price I want then the payments will be where I need them to be. Also don't stretch it out to 7 years and I want to know my interest rate and where you shopped to get it. So then they next try to hide the real # by saying your trade in and discounts bring it to this. NO!!!, what is the bottom line sticker price, bottom of the barrel price you will give me. Once we agree on that price, then subtract my trade in, discounts, my cash down ect. If they can't do that you walk. They usually call pretty quickly after that. Also a word of advice, anyone who buys a car and pays for leather treatments, paint treatments, full price extended warranties, DON"T!!! When negotiating they throw all that in for free or you walk. It's all about knowing what you want and what you value something at.

And for all those people who scream retailers are going to go out of business by working a deal, please stop. The 99% of instant gratification members of society who pay full retail or fall for these stupid tricks, more than make up for the 1% who work a deal. There is a reason that a large # of bachelor degrees is psychology go into retail marketing.

XR 16 9.5 Fubuki ZT
XR 16 15* PX 6.0
XHot Pro 3 hy PX 6.0
Callaway 09 X Forged 3i, 5-pw - PX 6.0
Callaway MD3 52*, 56*, 60* KBS Tour
Odyssey Vera B/W/B #7,
Ball -TM TP5X

[quote name='Bluefan75' timestamp='1383066091' post='8074125']
Was just down at the Cincinnati outlets somaplr is talking about. We also hit the Vero Beach outlets in Florida quite a bit. Things have changed. My wife and I have walked out of Nike stores with absolutely nothihng, which would have been unheard of not that long ago. But the prices weren't great, and we didn't necessarily need anything, so.... I am able to get a pair of Rockport shoes at a good price, and got a mock turtleneck for my dad at a place that isn't up here, but otherwise, it's just a collection of stores for the most part. Although I did find jeans that actually fit my squat-fed legs.

But for golf wear, unless I have a GC, or it's a sick sale, I won't buy Nike stuff. Too expensive. And for people who know me, that is a big thing that I won't buy Nike. I get pretty much all Haggar stuff. The Cool 18 line is just as good IMHO as Nike's Dri-Fit, and the price is very low. I don't think I've paid more than $20 for a shirt in the 4 years I've been buying their stuff(and they do last). I wear them to work and to play in. Shorts are nearly as cheap, and pants are about $5 more. If there isn't an outlet, if you pay attention to Kohl's or Bells if you're down south, you can get things for about the same price.

[/quote]

You see that's not even the gist of my post. Not nessecarily that I wanted to buy UA, if Nike, Adidas, or whatever brand put an item in their clearance rack at an outlet store no less, I would think the item would be more than a $5 savings off retail when the item is retailed for $85. What is that, a 6% discount at clearance? I just don't think a clearance is only 6% off. Put it on the regular rack then.

You mention that you won't buy golf clothes unless it's a sick sale. So what if someone said come on in, I have a 'sick sale' on golf clothes and you come to find out that 'sick sale' is only 6% off? Wouldnt you be like wtf? That's my gist of my post.
[/quote]

I don't mean this to be rude, but how old are you? I'm not quite middle-aged, but I'm closer to it than not. The number of times in my adult life I have seen some variation of "sick sale" that has turned out to be a disappointment is so large it is mind boggling. You learn to figure out a few things: 1)Always remember the goal is to get you to buy. Talk about "needs" and benefits is all nice, but unless you came in because you don't have something that will make your life very difficult, you don't "need" it. They just want you to think you do so that you buy. 2) You need to be your own filter(which it seems you have been). You need to look at it and decide for yourself if it's a sick sale or not, and not rely on what the salespeople say. Think about the waitress at the bar. Do you think she's smiling and flirting because she wants to go home with you that night? No, she's working you for a tip. Same with retail employees. They want to convince you it's a great sale, in the hopes you take their word for it. You didn't fall for it, which is good, but likely a good number did.

Maybe this is a bit age-ist, but I've learned to be very skeptical when a store tells me something is great or I need it. Partly bceause I've been burned, partly because I've managed to avoid it at the last second. Either way, I never find myself saying WTF at anything a company says, in the manner you are thinking, because they will say whatever they can to separate me from my money.
[/quote]

[quote name='Bluefan75' timestamp='1383066091' post='8074125']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No offense taken but I'm in my early 40s. I said 'sick' sale cause I was just quoting another poster. It's not a term I really use. I've been around the block a few times as well so of course I've seen many a so called deal really not being what it was advertised to be. I understand this completely. But again, I have yet until now, have seen a only a $5 (6%) off in a clearance rack. Of course I didn't buy but it just bothered me the form of deceptive ness that I perceive this to be from UA. No other stores that I went to did this. They were what I come to expect of what a clearance rack to be.

[quote name='xplyboy' timestamp='1383081170' post='8075331']

No offense taken but I'm in my early 40s. I said 'sick' sale cause I was just quoting another poster. It's not a term I really use. I've been around the block a few times as well so of course I've seen many a so called deal really not being what it was advertised to be. I understand this completely. But again, I have yet until now, have seen a only a $5 (6%) off in a clearance rack. Of course I didn't buy but it just bothered me the form of [b]deceptive ness that I perceive this to be from UA[/b]. No other stores that I went to did this. They were what I come to expect of what a clearance rack to be.
[/quote]

it's deceptive because it's only 6%, at what % savings over retail (which is an imaginary made up number anyway) does it cease to be deceptive?

maybe UA should inflate the original/retail price like many other outlets do in order to be less deceptive

[quote name='harold baines' timestamp='1383087206' post='8075809']
[quote name='xplyboy' timestamp='1383081170' post='8075331']

No offense taken but I'm in my early 40s. I said 'sick' sale cause I was just quoting another poster. It's not a term I really use. I've been around the block a few times as well so of course I've seen many a so called deal really not being what it was advertised to be. I understand this completely. But again, I have yet until now, have seen a only a $5 (6%) off in a clearance rack. Of course I didn't buy but it just bothered me the form of [b]deceptive ness that I perceive this to be from UA[/b]. No other stores that I went to did this. They were what I come to expect of what a clearance rack to be.
[/quote]

it's deceptive because it's only 6%, at what % savings over retail (which is an imaginary made up number anyway) does it cease to be deceptive?

maybe UA should inflate the original/retail price like many other outlets do in order to be less deceptive
[/quote]

Why don't you tell me what % off would consider to be a sale? Then what to be a clearance? Give me a parameter on your own perception of a sale and then a clearance? Just curious.

And I don't think they can inflate the retail cause these pants I was looking at are sold on their website with the retail clearly defined.

Maybe I should define my thinking of sale/clearance since I asked for yours. You have retail price. Then you put a sale of 1% up to 30-35%. Anything beyond 35% would what I consider a clearance.