Ask and you shall receive-The no turn cast drill

sorry if this has been answered already, but how does this work with a driver hold type release pattern? I can see a major benefit in the 'no turn' element for the backswing, but on the dowswing & through the hitting zone I like to feel the right hand wrist maintaining its backwards bend. This is not a criticism of the drill, clearly it works amazing for a lot of guys, I just want to understand how it works. Thanks :good:

sorry if this has been answered already, but how does this work with a driver hold type release pattern? I can see a major benefit in the 'no turn' element for the backswing, but on the dowswing & through the hitting zone I like to feel the right hand wrist maintaining its backwards bend. This is not a criticism of the drill, clearly it works amazing for a lot of guys, I just want to understand how it works. Thanks :good:

Β 

Monte can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if you do this drill, your right hand wrist with still have that backwards bend, even if you think it won't.

So i'm commenting from ohio. Not much of a golf season here yet, before yesterday only hit the links 1 time for a 9 hole round. Didn't play bad...a little tight in the body. Decided to go play another 9 with my buddy yesterday. Before going, I ended up watching Monte's wedge video and came back to this thread. Right when i found the thread the drill he was doing was the no turn drill. Perfect timing. Anyways, watched the video's decided not to worry about where I hit the ball on the course, just wanted to work on the no turn cast drill and swing easy. My buddy is not a good golfer. Really struggles, but just picked up the game and loves to play. So, long story short. I was just drilling my irons. I would do a little rhythm half swings feeling the natural release of the wrist in the downswing and follow through. Then work on the no turn cast drill. My iron play was awesome. I also tried to tell my buddy a little bit on how to do this drill and he was hitting the ball better than i've ever seen. The rhythm of the swing and the idea of being smooth is a big helper. I tried not to overthink the drill and that helps as well. I do have a picture i have to post, haha. I am never on this green, I mean NEVER! This was from the tee! Yes i realize greens suck, haha its ohio! Also not afriad to admit that yes i played a pinnacle on the day, haha!

I owe my shots to this drill....try not to complicate it and stay smooth!

I have been practicing this periodically with the driver. I don't necessarily have any arm over-run so I just focus on dumping my right wrist in transition instead of the no turn part. What I notice is when I execute I stripe the ball, but the other half of the time when I don't execute it seems I leave the face open, sending it right of rush limbaugh. Very frustrating. As for the Irons pure Gold.

Β 

I have the same issue, but it’s not just driver – the "Rush Limbaugh" miss can happen with all the longer clubs in my bag. Not as much of an issue with mid irons thru wedges. I wonder if it’s from over-doing the β€œno turn” feel and not making a full turn, and being unable to square the face in time as a result.

I have been practicing this periodically with the driver. I don't necessarily have any arm over-run so I just focus on dumping my right wrist in transition instead of the no turn part. What I notice is when I execute I stripe the ball, but the other half of the time when I don't execute it seems I leave the face open, sending it right of rush limbaugh. Very frustrating. As for the Irons pure Gold.

Β 

I have the same issue, but it’s not just driver – the "Rush Limbaugh" miss can happen with all the longer clubs in my bag. Not as much of an issue with mid irons thru wedges. I wonder if it’s from over-doing the β€œno turn” feel and not making a full turn, and being unable to square the face in time as a result.

Β 

Maybe the Mad Bomber will oblige us, on what may be at play here? My suspicions are in the process of trying to dump the right wrist as fast as possible, especially on from an inside path to the ball, we are forgetting to pronate or release that right hand?? At least that is what feels like

Β 

Β 

Maybe the Mad Bomber will oblige us, on what may be at play here? My suspicions are in the process of trying to dump the right wrist as fast as possible, especially on from an inside path to the ball, we are forgetting to pronate or release that right hand?? At least that is what feels like

Β 

It's a guess but when I've seen this before it's been left arm not rotating and folding properly.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired.Β 
Β 

Β 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Β 

Β 

I have the same issue, but it's not just driver – the "Rush Limbaugh" miss can happen with all the longer clubs in my bag. Not as much of an issue with mid irons thru wedges. I wonder if it's from over-doing the "no turn" feel and not making a full turn, and being unable to square the face in time as a result.

Β 

Β 

It's a guess but when I've seen this before it's been left arm not rotating and folding properly.

Β 

It's funny you say that Monte, because that's a diagnosis you have given me on a swing video before. I will add that I have watched the video "how the arms work" till my head wants to explode and have yet to find an intent or feel to get that left arm rotating correctly. That's something I will bring up at the Columbus Clinic this year, if the guys get it together. To get back on topic, I can say that when that left arm is rotating and folding properly in conjunction with dumping the right wrist I am seeing yardages that have been all but folklore to me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks to this drill I stumbled upon it a few days ago, I just shot a personal best 83. Lately I have been really struggling to break 90. Basically my scores were hovering in the lower 90s and I couldn't get back under that barrier. Thanks to this drill I feel like I will be consistently shooting in the 80s. My previous best was 86. Thanks a ton Monte!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I found this video when googling "casting golf" and I tried it out at the range last night. I had great results by simply doing the no-turn part of the drill. However, I am utterly confused by how to practice the casting drill and bowing/throwing the right hand. The video is potato quality and Monte does the move really quick with a bad camera angle so I can't see what he's doing with his write wrist on the downswing clearly. Can someone explain to me while assuming I am a complete dumb dumb?

Β 

Also, living in San Diego and having a sister in Orange County I'm thinking I should schedule a lesson or two with the man himself.

Just throwing this out there. From what I've read in this thread, the "no turn" part of the drill is to essentially set the wrists as quickly as possible. Now, I'm probably Monte's number 1 fan, and I've seen most of his videos and believe he's one of the most knowledgable instructors on the planet. But when I consciously think about setting my wrists early (or even setting them at all), it spells absolute disaster for me. I get the club in a terrible position at the top of the swing and my contact is just wacky. Yesterday, I was reading in a thread about MDLT, and I got this quote:

Β 

"The hinge on the back swing and unhinge in the forward swing but they do so passively, as a result of gravity and the momentum of the swing. Again work up from little to big swings allowing the hinging and unhinging to be purely a response. No effort to snap the wrists, no effort to apply additional speed with the wrist, no tension, just swing the club from one side to the other and let the wrists react."

Β 

I know that all golfers are different, and different feels work for different people, but I'm having a hard time with reconciling these two ideas. Am I missing something, or do Monte and MDLT just teach two completely different backswings?

Just throwing this out there. From what I've read in this thread, the "no turn" part of the drill is to essentially set the wrists as quickly as possible. Now, I'm probably Monte's number 1 fan, and I've seen most of his videos and believe he's one of the most knowledgable instructors on the planet. But when I consciously think about setting my wrists early (or even setting them at all), it spells absolute disaster for me. I get the club in a terrible position at the top of the swing and my contact is just wacky. Yesterday, I was reading in a thread about MDLT, and I got this quote:

Β 

"The hinge on the back swing and unhinge in the forward swing but they do so passively, as a result of gravity and the momentum of the swing. Again work up from little to big swings allowing the hinging and unhinging to be purely a response. No effort to snap the wrists, no effort to apply additional speed with the wrist, no tension, just swing the club from one side to the other and let the wrists react."

Β 

I know that all golfers are different, and different feels work for different people, but I'm having a hard time with reconciling these two ideas. Am I missing something, or do Monte and MDLT just teach two completely different backswings?

Β 

I'm the same mate if I do the no turn part I just don't turn enough and with the wrist set the club is to steep, open clubface shanks or bad contact.

Β 

I pivot back with the left shoulder down and don't think of arms and wrists they hinge anyhow. The downswing is the cast or flip as I prefer to term it.

The no turn part is for people with long backswings and arm over run.

Β 

Hinge should be passive unless you have none. Then it has to be active until it can be passive.

Β 

Bending your knees when you walk should be automatic.

Β 

I walked in a straight knee brace for 6 weeks. I had to actively bend my knee and lift my foot for a while...now I don't have to any more.

Β 

Β 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Β 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have paid for online lessons from Monte for my wife and I; & I recommend using his expertise (hi there Monty!). Well worth it, he's good.

Β 

I think the No Turn Cast drill is the best golf drill video out there , especially for us two. At first I could only get it to work with the irons and just the No Turn part. But lately I came back to this drill and have gotten it to work beautifully with all clubs now that my swing has evolved.

Β 

I don't actually think about the early wrist set; I just envision taking the club straight up to the top and I get a great 90* shoulder turn and wrist set without thinking about it.

Β 

I have found it works better for me with a stronger grip. Nailing the driver so consistent now it is sick, beautiful baby draw when I want; and long. If I want a straight shot or a baby fade I just weaken the grip. Big distance gains too, 9i going 160 (from 140 before); 7iron 185-190 (*with used range balls). I hit the 200 yard sign (my target) on the fly today with a 5 iron, hit the middle 0 right in the middle of the 0! Not bragging, just saying - I know there's plenty of longer hitters around here, so that's not my point. These are good distance results for me and I'm not even trying ( a swing secret in itself). Just swinging smooth. I gained 20 yards on average because of this drill using the same equipment. It's because the drill solved my sway, and my slide plus I'm hitting it on the sweet spot more consistently now. Love it!!! Thanks Monte for sharing.

I found this video when googling "casting golf" and I tried it out at the range last night. I had great results by simply doing the no-turn part of the drill. However, I am utterly confused by how to practice the casting drill and bowing/throwing the right hand. The video is potato quality and Monte does the move really quick with a bad camera angle so I can't see what he's doing with his write wrist on the downswing clearly. Can someone explain to me while assuming I am a complete dumb dumb?

Β 

Also, living in San Diego and having a sister in Orange County I'm thinking I should schedule a lesson or two with the man himself.

Β 

You're lucky you're so close; do it , get a lesson face to face. Or online.

Β 

When I do the cast part, I just follow what he says in the video - trying to throw my right wrist (I'm right-handed) at the impact zone as quick as I can. When I video myself in slow motion, I see my head is back behind the ball, I have a bent right wrist at impact, forward shaft lean and my lead hip has cleared beautifully with no slide (my nemesis). Try it yourself even without a ball down. It's genius.

• 1 month later...

I probably played my last round until Spring, and Im dedicating myself to to this drill over the Winter.

Β 

I hit balls this morning for about an hour with this drill. I assume its supposed to feel pretty "scoopy" at first? I lost about 15 yds on my PW with this drill and hit it quite a bit lower. Is the distance loss and lower flight to be expected? I think Im on the right track because my shots do feel very crisp. It crazy how flippy it feels initially.

This is exactly what I am working on right now. Excellent drill.

9* Taylormade Sim 2 with Ventus Black 7x

15* Taylormade Sim 2 with Tensei Pro Blue 80tx

Mizuno Fly-Hi 3,4,5 iron Project X 6.5

Mizuno MP-5, 6-PW KBS C-Taper Lite 115x

Titleist Vokey 50*, 54* with Project X 6.5

Taylormade Hi-Toe 60* with Project X 6.5

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Notchback

I probably played my last round until Spring, and Im dedicating myself to to this drill over the Winter.

Β 

I hit balls this morning for about an hour with this drill. I assume its supposed to feel pretty "scoopy" at first? I lost about 15 yds on my PW with this drill and hit it quite a bit lower. Is the distance loss and lower flight to be expected? I think Im on the right track because my shots do feel very crisp. It crazy how flippy it feels initially.

Β 

I had the trajectory issue when I first played with this drill as a swing thought. I added some tilt through impact (by thinking about hitting it high), and that fixed it. Try more tilt at address or through impact.

• 1 month later...

I’m going to have to start working on this again once the weather breaks. Any updates or new info out there similar to Monte’s No Turn Cast Drill?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105sΒ 
Cleveland RTX 54* &Β 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

• 1 month later...

Ive gotten back to working on this at the range. It’s time to start getting ready to play again.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105sΒ 
Cleveland RTX 54* &Β 58*

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

• 6 months later...

Any updates here???

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105sΒ 
Cleveland RTX 54* &Β 58*

• 1 month later...

Hi Monte

Β 

Is the backswing part of this drill a legitimate approach to making your backswing when you actually play? The position it gets me in see s really good and I was thinking I should use it in play.

Β 

But then I wondered if there would be a down side to it?

Cheers

Brendan

Β 

Yes :-)

Β 

Β 

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Β 

This has proven to me how much overrun was in my backswing and has cured being too inside as well. I think because i have been so inside for so long this feels like I'm just picking the club straight up into my baseball stance(long time baseball player) of waiting on the pitch at the top of the backswing.

Over the top is pretty much gone and shots are much more consistent. Long way to go for me, but if you're a chronic over the topper because of being too inside with backswing overrun, (a large number of golfers from what I can tell) this drill is worth it's weight in gold. Thanks Monte, and I'll be signing up over at Rebellion Golf.

Β 

One thing I'll say is that this is a drastic change in feel in the backswing if you're a chronic too insider, especially if you also have too late wrist set, like me. Don't be afraid or think this can't be the way this should feel in the backswing. It is, and you'll see dramatic improvement in ball flight once you get used to it.

I used the approach yesterday with pretty good results. A couple of drives I was steep and got under them but some others were very good. Also had a few hooks with hybrids I think because my setup was suiting my more inside and late wrist set backswing that I had and I need to set up a bit more square or even open faced rather than a bit closed which I was doing