• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Playaway' timestamp='1406151204' post='9770265']
Seriously? Let's break it down in terms of situations you will encounter:

Pool . . . . finite.

Golf . . . . infinite.
[/quote]
Actually pool is also infinite, and perhaps even more so than golf. After the break on any 8 ball, 9 ball, 10 ball, rotation, or straight pool rack, there is absolutely no chance ever that the layout will ever be the same in two different racks. Never happened, never will. Just the fact that the numbered balls can be placed anywhere randomly in the rack takes care of that, not to mention each and every break will result in a different layout every time for the rest of your life. The object balls and cue ball will never ever be in the same place in different racks, ever.

To add to this, the pattern to run a rack is also completely different for two different players. No two players could ever duplicate the others' runout ever. Impossible. Pattern choices, speed of stroke, etc. etc.

BTW, I do agree with your point concerning golf, as it too is infinite, but just wanted to point out that pool is also infinite in the most absolute sense.

Titleist TS2 11.5 (B2) w/Oban Kiyoshi White 65(04)
Adams Super Hybrid XTD 2012 15/19 deg w/fubuki AX 
Exotics CB ProH 21 w/UST Recoil 670 F4
Callaway Apex 4,6-PW w/UST Recoil 680 F4
Mizuno MP R-12 49/54/59/64 w/Nippon 1150
Bettinardi Signature Series 6 Midslim2.0
SM Three 5, Snell MTB-X

[quote name='Nuggets' timestamp='1406201102' post='9773985']
Pool is ridiculously easy......snooker would be a closer comparison
[/quote]
Most players consider "pool" to be synonymous with pocket billiards. 8 ball, 9, ball, 10 ball, straight pool, rotation, bank pool, one pocket, back pocket, etc would all be considered pocket billiard games. Snooker is its own animal since it is played on a different sized table (12x6 instead of barbox, 8 foot, 9 foot, 10 foot) with different sized balls (2 1/8 instead of 2 1/4). The only "pool" games that would not be considered pocket billiards would be your carom games, mainly 3-cushion.

So, I disagree, "pool" is not ridiculously easy at all....especially since I am not even sure which game of pool you are talking about :) But, I don't think any of them are ridiculously easy to get to a decent speed at.

SM Three 5, Snell MTB-X

We call it a run out, and with a nice layout after a break, a run-out is not that big of a deal. But, after that year, will you run-out 7 out of say 10 racks. Probably not. Depending on the game and table size we are talking about, running out 70 percent of your racks would put you in the above average category. To get to this level consistently is very very difficult. Too many people have mentioned things in this thread that are "one-offs" instead of considering what it would take to be a player of some considerable speed. Two very very different things. Yes, someone can pick up the basic fundamentals of a pool stroke much quicker and easier than that of a good golf swing, but to get to the highest levels, the demands of both are actually eerily similar, not really far apart as many on this forum believe.

SM Three 5, Snell MTB-X

[quote name='WRXClarky' timestamp='1406249890' post='9779467']
[quote name='Nuggets' timestamp='1406201102' post='9773985']
Pool is ridiculously easy......snooker would be a closer comparison
[/quote]
Most players consider "pool" to be synonymous with pocket billiards. 8 ball, 9, ball, 10 ball, straight pool, rotation, bank pool, one pocket, back pocket, etc would all be considered pocket billiard games. Snooker is its own animal since it is played on a different sized table (12x6 instead of barbox, 8 foot, 9 foot, 10 foot) with different sized balls (2 1/8 instead of 2 1/4). The only "pool" games that would not be considered pocket billiards would be your carom games, mainly 3-cushion.

So, I disagree, "pool" is not ridiculously easy at all....especially since I am not even sure which game of pool you are talking about :) But, I don't think any of them are ridiculously easy to get to a decent speed at.
[/quote]

"Game's over, Eddie."

Valhalla, I am coming!
Drums beating, cold English blood
runs hot.
they just can't kill the beast

The problem with this question is that it's so hard to define your "equivalent level". Obviously it's around about as difficult to become the best in the world at each game, so how do you differentiate between them? If you call par equivalent to running the table at 15 ball, then golf is way harder than pool. If you call par the equivalent of running 10 tables straight, then pool is probably harder. I think it's definitely easier to become competent at pool than at golf. Does that make pool easier than golf? Who knows?

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

Yeah, I agree with the above. It is all about defining the levels to compare.

I.E. What does it mean to be "competent" at golf and "competent" at pool.

Without a clear definition of what we are looking to measure, we can't really compare or determine what is more difficult to get to.

SM Three 5, Snell MTB-X

• 2 months later...

I'm back to playing pool rather seriously and I'm actually playing with a local pro.

I'm at a nitty gritty stage in my golf and I feel that as different as they are, it takes more in golf to keep the swing / stroke.

it's easier in pool to shape the ball and position the cue for better rate of success to clean the table, while in golf it feels a lot more physical.

R11s V3 - Kai'li White / Fubuki V / Diamana X

R15 430 - Kai'li White / Kiyoshi White
Miura - OBAN kiyoshi white 62g
Miura 3W - OBAN kiyoshi purple 75g
Miura Black baby blades & CB57 - PXi 6.0
Miura Y-grind,C-grind, K-grind
Miura KM-350 & 008

[quote name='steelrat' timestamp='1412624306' post='10244477']
Too play to semi decent standard pool is definitley easier than snooker and snooker is easier than golf. At the very top of the game they are all artists

Love watching this video

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3C7I5lRZII[/media]
[/quote]

He made that look easy on the video.

On the break, did I hear someone yell "get in the hole"?

I agree it depends on what we are comparing but if you are comparing how hard it is to be a scratch golfer, ie shooting around par constantly to being able to clear an 8 ball table constantly ie, 70% or more I'm going to pick pool as the harder task.

In golf you can make up for a bad shot, make a sand save, make a birdie to cover up a bogey. In pool to run the table you can not miss one single shot.

Is pool easier to not embarrass yourself at? For sure, but is it easier to master, no way.

That's just my opinion though.

O'sullivan and Reyes... 2 of the best I have seen.

I wouldn't even touch snooker with a stick... used to play it and I know how tough that game is.
But still though, there's almost no physical aspect to pool, which I think still makes it a little easier to play.

Miura KM-350 & 008

Golf comfortably, pool pockets, especially American ones are enormous.

Snooker is an entirely different discussion and on another planet entirely difficulty wise.

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

I played golf for many years and I played pool at a very high level.. Well local tourneys and regional tourneys.

Pool and golf are both very hard

Both require many hours of practice to work your craft.

Equipment is important in both

Strategy is a element don't think people get in pool but all have done it. You may be 4 beers deep and you know you can't make a shot so you miss in the right place so the person can't pocket a ball

Pool has a lot of money games or even more then golf

One thing I will say is.. A perfectly run 9 ball rack is way more satisfying then a birdie.. You can make a birdie by hitting a bad drive.. Bounce your approach shot up the green and then make a 30 foot bomb putt.. In pool.. One bad shot in a rack in a tourney could mean you NEVER see the table again.. Pressure is way more ramped up.. Least in golf you can hole out from the fairway you kind of always have a chance.. In pool if your opponent is good and you make a mistake.. You can be made a spectator to your own demise if you miss a shot.

Golf and pool are both great and I prefer golf over pool as I enjoy being outside and getting done exercise.
But arguments for both can be made and neither are wrong

Driver - TaylorMade M2 2017 - 9.5°
Fairway - TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood - 14.5°
Hybrid - TaylorMade RBZ 5 wood - 19°
Irons - PING i15 - 4 - PW / UW
Wedges - Taylormade MG2 54° / Hi Toe 58°
Putter - Cameron Newport 2 custom

Bowen, is equipment is really THAT important in Pool?

I do have a lucasi butt with Z2 predator, break cue and predator2 jump cue and all, but it seems that the equipment in golf makes much more difference than in pool?
COrrect me if I'm wrong and do tell.

Miura KM-350 & 008

[quote name='Saijin' timestamp='1412688367' post='10248585']Bowen, is equipment is really THAT important in Pool?

I do have a lucasi butt with Z2 predator, break cue and predator2 jump cue and all, but it seems that the equipment in golf makes much more difference than in pool?
COrrect me if I'm wrong and do tell.[/quote]

Equipment matters.. But in a certain way and similar to golf

Cue weight can affect your stroke.. A cue that's to light will have your stroke erratic.. A cue that's to heavy will make you hit harder and cause erratic shots. Getting just the right cue is important just like custom fitting in golf

Having a solid break cue.. (Generally heavier for more powerful breaks)

Having a shorter "jump" cue for Masse shots and jumps is very helpful.

Playing on quality tables and consistent felt is key to getting better.. Also I always played at a hall that had slightly tighter pockets so when I played elsewhere I felt very confident..

The quality of the banks is crucial to solid practice. Having realistic bounces are paramount to improving your banking skills.

Equipment always matter in any sport when you hit a certain level

Driver - TaylorMade M2 2017 - 9.5°
Fairway - TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood - 14.5°
Hybrid - TaylorMade RBZ 5 wood - 19°
Irons - PING i15 - 4 - PW / UW
Wedges - Taylormade MG2 54° / Hi Toe 58°
Putter - Cameron Newport 2 custom

I'm between a 4-5 in league ranking.

I have always played Kamui SS tip. Does this matter?

Hmmm... I'm going to experiment with the butt weights tomorrow

Miura KM-350 & 008

[quote name='Saijin' timestamp='1412693528' post='10249049']

[/quote]

[color=#222222]Tip doesn't matter much. As long as you have one that isn't too far worn down, it will perform and it's all personal preference. Much like stainless steel vs. carbon steel vs. insert putters.[/color]
[color=#222222][/color]
[color=#222222]I see a lot of people in this thread discounting pool because it is physically easier to play than golf is. However, that doesn't mean that the game, as a whole, is easier. Unfortunately, as is in all sports, the better you get, the more you realize how much you [i]don't[/i] know... not the other way around. The intricacies of both golf and pool are infinite and sometimes certain intricacies, strategies and techniques don't make themselves apparent to you until you reach a high enough level to understand what really is possible.[/color]
[color=#222222][/color]
[color=#222222]Another point that I don't think has been made is the existence of strategic safety play in pool. In the majority of pocket billiards games, you are playing against an opponent; and it's not always a matter of offence, and making all of the balls in the pockets. There are also calculated, strategic and skilled safety shots that your opponent can play against you. In golf, even if you are competing against other players, they are not actively playing defense against you. I think a lot of people overlook the defensive aspect of pool when it's actually a pretty big factor that should be considered.[/color]

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Completely agree on defense play in pool. I've been focusing on ball control so I can better play the defense when I need to. .

I do find that using a smaller and super soft tip is much harder than using the typical tiger tip that's big. It's like playing a Blade vs CB.

Mikey, I got another thread about my swing flaw recently, mind giving an input? My swing disappeared...

Miura KM-350 & 008

[quote name='Saijin' timestamp='1384585092' post='8157154']
So which game is harder do you think?
I know, they are different games. I think that pool and snooker are harder since you have to be not just precise but also able to manipulate the cue ball well.
[/quote]
Always felt that they were similar in that you just have to be "off" by a tiny bit to stink the place up.

[quote name='Saijin' timestamp='1412693528' post='10249049']

[/quote]

Makes a difference to me. I use a Kamui SS in a z2 for one pocket and a medium tip for everything else.

As for equipment more generally, I don't think it's really comparable just because clubs have so many more variables. More critically, you can give me a cue that's shorter/heavier/bigger whatever, and I'll be able to adjust way way way way easier than if you gave me clubs that were 1/2 inch longer or a few swing weights heavier.

[quote name='dashanks' timestamp='1413074987' post='10272449']
[quote name='Saijin' timestamp='1384585092' post='8157154']
So which game is harder do you think?
I know, they are different games. I think that pool and snooker are harder since you have to be not just precise but also able to manipulate the cue ball well.
[/quote]
Always felt that they were similar in that you just have to be "off" by a tiny bit to stink the place up.
[/quote]

Maybe at an extremely high level, but variance between worst/best in pool and golf is enormous. I'm a 7 in eight and a 9 in nine, and on my worst pool days, I'll shoot like a 6 (nine obviously takes more of a hit). I'm a 6 handicap in golf, and just look at last month I had a few rounds come in around a 20+ index.

Plus I've never had a bad pool day last for more than one session. Bad golf voodoo can take over and screw me up for a month or more haha.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='KjBowenWRX' timestamp='1412676119' post='10247939']
I played golf for many years and I played pool at a very high level.. Well local tourneys and regional tourneys.

Strategy is a element don't think people get in pool but all have done it. You may be 4 beers deep and you know you can't make a shot so you miss in the right place so the person can't pocket a ball

One thing I will say is.. A perfectly run 9 ball rack is way more satisfying then a birdie.. You can make a birdie by hitting a bad drive.. Bounce your approach shot up the green and then make a 30 foot bomb putt.. In pool.. One bad shot in a rack in a tourney could mean you NEVER see the table again.. Pressure is way more ramped up.. Least in golf you can hole out from the fairway you kind of always have a chance.. In pool if your opponent is good and you make a mistake.. You can be made a spectator to your own demise if you miss a shot.

Golf and pool are both great and I prefer golf over pool as I enjoy being outside and getting done exercise.
[/quote]

this is exactly how i feel. you cant just say pool is easy because you are a 7 APA, or you can break and run after only playing for a few months. the problem is there are thousands of others who have the same skill level as you, and then there are thousands who you will never beat in your lifetime, and among those thousands there are hundreds of players a level higher who will never lose to them.

as long as there are dudes playing at a higher level than you, you cant say the game is easier than anything else lol.

[quote name='fowlerscousin' timestamp='1418582180' post='10592329']
[quote name='KjBowenWRX' timestamp='1412676119' post='10247939']

[/quote]

this is exactly how i feel. you cant just say pool is easy because you are a 7 APA, or you can break and run after only playing for a few months. the problem is there are thousands of others who have the same skill level as you, and then there are thousands who you will never beat in your lifetime, and among those thousands there are hundreds of players a level higher who will never lose to them.

as long as there are dudes playing at a higher level than you, you cant say the game is easier than anything else lol.
[/quote]
This argument doesn't make any sense. I'm around a 4 index, which puts me in roughly the top 5% of golfers. I'd say I'm in the top 3-5% of pool players (harder to be precise on this because there's no universal handicap in pool). So I'm not allowed to compare the relative difficulty of the two because there are people that could beat the crap out of me in both games? Well I guess we should close this thread down until someone wins a few majors and a few 10 ball championships, then we can ask him which one is harder.