Golf vs pool

Saijin

My grandpa was a pro-am 3 cushion player and I started with snooker. I was ok since I have always been able to see angles and lines, I think that's why my short game and putting are my best areas in golf too.

I know in golf that I have a fast rhythm , so whenever I have to wait over 10 minutes for the people ahead of me, I mess up my shot. FUnny thing is, I'm starting to see that it's similar in pool.
When I worry too much about the angles and lines and making sure I hit the cue ball at the correct spot etc... I mess up. But if I just look at the lines, aim and shoot, I can pocket even some tough balls.

So I guess pace of play is also for pool. That being said and maybe because my pool skills are not even close to the level of my golf game, I find pool harder than golf.

PS: anyone ever gotten tennis elbow from playing too much pool? LOL

R11s V3 - Kai'li White / Fubuki V / Diamana X

R15 430 - Kai'li White / Kiyoshi White
Miura - OBAN kiyoshi white 62g
Miura 3W - OBAN kiyoshi purple 75g
Miura Black baby blades & CB57 - PXi 6.0
Miura Y-grind,C-grind, K-grind
Miura KM-350 & 008

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Saijin' timestamp='1384795161' post='8167048']
Meucci eh... that's expensive.
Was thinking of getting a sneaky pete myself, but I'm definitely not at that level yet, so I'll stick with what I have for now =P

[b]I have a Lucasi LZD6 with Predator Z2 + kamui Black SS tip . 11.5mm.
And I break with a premium line cuetec fiber glass and I modified the tip with Phenolic canvas.

Thinking of getting a predator Jump cue in December too.[/b]
[/quote]

And you call a Meucci expensive? :swoon::taunt:

Aren't Meuccis much more expensive than a Z2 and Lucassi? Last I checked they were around $1000

Miura KM-350 & 008

[quote name='scotto69' timestamp='1384955518' post='8177152']
Anyone interested in learning more about pool can check out Azbilliards.com.

Great site.
[/quote]

I'm a member of that forum and I prefer this place... even the topic of pool . lol

Miura KM-350 & 008

[b] [color=#353535][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/user/25501-body-visions/"]Body_Visions[/url]:[/color][quote name='Body_Visions' timestamp='1384975544' post='8179128'][/b]

[quote name='Guia' timestamp='1384792018' post='8166782']
I have owned Mueci in the past very nice sticks. I rarely play anymore but now [b]play a Schoen, 9mm shaft no taper[/b].
[/quote]

Really? I would like to hear more about that.

Hear more about what? They are Pool Cues, what else is there to say?
[/quote]

So I spent a little more time practicing my shots in pool while I can't golf and I notice that it's a lot like putting =P

It's very mental for me. If I keep my pace up *just like in golf*, I can almost run the table and make tough shots. But the moment I'm too meticulous , I miss even easy shots.

Miura KM-350 & 008

[quote name='Saijin' timestamp='1385445336' post='8208788']
So I spent a little more time practicing my shots in pool while I can't golf and I notice that it's a lot like putting =P

It's very mental for me. If I keep my pace up *just like in golf*, I can almost run the table and make tough shots. But the moment I'm too meticulous , I miss even easy shots.
[/quote]

LOL. I know....I just bought a new house and the people before were selling everything in the house. They had a table!!! So I bought it. I have been playing 1-2hrs everyday. I haven't played in 15 years. As a matter of fact, I pulled out my cue case/sticks and it took me 30 min to clean off the dust!

I am so frustrated that I am not as good as I used to be.....and I am having the same feeling....I pulled 3 putts today and came up short on 1 and long on 2 putts and it felt like hitting too hard or soft!

- In pool you don't have to walk as far between shots. :)

- One notable similarity of pool and golf is conquering the choke factor.

- 40 some years ago I used to play for beers. I could usually do ok until I had too many beers.

- Golf and pool are such different disciplines that I can't say one is more difficult than the other.

[quote name='fore' timestamp='1385555000' post='8215120']
- In pool you don't have to walk as far between shots. :)

- One notable similarity of pool and golf is conquering the choke factor.

- 40 some years ago I used to play for beers. I could usually do ok until I had too many beers.

- Golf and pool are such different disciplines that I can't say one is more difficult than the other.
[/quote]

I'm passable at pool when I'm sober. As I drink, I get better and then there is a certain level of drunkenness where I am really quite good. It doesn't tend to last very long though as the far side is pretty dreadful. Basically if I'm drunk enough that I don't care and I just point and shoot, then it works. If I'm too drunk to really see where I'm going then I'm hopeless.

My golf just gets worse when I drink.

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

I was Boy's Club Champion in pool (too) many years ago. I was a really nasty basketball player. Played
in several countries in Europe on the base team while in the Army.

Golf is a TOUGH game to learn and it's not easy to maintain your "edge" once you get it.
It's more difficult, more athletic, equally strategic and for me, FAR more rewarding than pool.

I love both games though.

[quote name='Smood_n_EZ' timestamp='1385568111' post='8216032']
I was Boy's Club Champion in pool (too) many years ago. I was a really nasty basketball player. Played

Golf is a TOUGH game to learn and it's not easy to maintain your "edge" once you get it.
It's more difficult, more athletic, equally strategic and for me, FAR more rewarding than pool.

[/quote]

I agree with you there, but with pool, you can socialize and look really cool at the bar =D

Miura KM-350 & 008

[quote name='Saijin' timestamp='1384628384' post='8158552']
One of the things in pool that I hate: (I play 9 ball mainly to sharpen my control and skills). When I miss the 9 ball after running 1-8 balls, my opp wins by 1 shot.
OR, if my opp missed the 9 ball and I pocket the 9 ball in 1 shot, I still feel like a loser....no win win situation here.

3 days ago I got my fiberglass cue tip replaced with phenolic tip and my play cue got a Kamui Black SS tip. I was doing draws and masse like no tomorrow... pocketing the balls is a different thing though lol.
In that 2 hour practice time, not once was I able to run the table clean.

WHereas in golf, I hit 20 balls at the range and I'm done, dial in my putts and chips in 15 minutes, then go play. Again though, my skills in golf completely overshadows my billiards.

BTW, one time I was playing 18 holes for fun with friends and I used my butt end of the shaft as a cue stick and stroke the balls into the holes... I "putted" 14 balls in 1 stroke each. =D
[/quote]

I dig the 14.1 reference. I've tried to be good at both pool (14.1, 9, 8, 1pckt, bnks) and golf.

I've found that that all of it is hard once you reach a certain level. Both games won't let you kid about how good you are once you start playing outside of your buddies. $ won is all that makes any sense. I'm sure you know about the game called "golf" on a snooker table. I never knew I could lose so much money so fast $1 at time.

I think they're equal depending on who you can get to play with and for how much. This moves up more quickly with pool games but it happens in golf too.

[quote name='Saijin' timestamp='1385597005' post='8218580']
[quote name='Smood_n_EZ' timestamp='1385568111' post='8216032']

[/quote]

I agree with you there, but with pool, you can socialize and look really cool at the bar =D
[/quote]

No doubt about that one ! LOL !!

[quote name='Guia' timestamp='1384984277' post='8180008']
[b] [color=#353535][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/user/25501-body-visions/"]Body_Visions[/url]:[/color][quote name='Body_Visions' timestamp='1384975544' post='8179128'][/b]

[quote name='Guia' timestamp='1384792018' post='8166782']
I have owned Mueci in the past very nice sticks. I rarely play anymore but now [b]play a Schoen, 9mm shaft no taper[/b].
[/quote]

Really? I would like to hear more about that.

Hear more about what? They are Pool Cues, what else is there to say?
[/quote]
[/quote]

The 9mm shaft with no taper on your Schon as I highlighted. I have never seen anything that small, or at least that small with no taper.

9mm shaft? that seems small. Isn't 11.5mm tip shaft the smallest there is? *unless it's for snooker?

Miura KM-350 & 008

[quote name='Saijin' timestamp='1385758083' post='8225814']
9mm shaft? that seems small. Isn't 11.5mm tip shaft the smallest there is? *unless it's for snooker?
[/quote]

Yes, that is a very small shaft, that is why I was asking him that question. Mine is a little better than 13, and I wouldn't mined it being a bit bigger. I like a very stiff shaft. It seems to aid in deflection, at least for me. Of course you will give up a little english, but the tradeoff is worth it for me. I was asking him just to hear his thoughts, as it obviously works for him.

I'm off to AZ Billiards. I'm going to start a golf thread. :taunt:

[quote name='Saijin' timestamp='1384844498' post='8171124']
My grandpa was a pro-am 3 cushion player and I started with snooker. I was ok since I have always been able to see angles and lines, I think that's why my short game and putting are my best areas in golf too.

I know in golf that I have a fast rhythm , so whenever I have to wait over 10 minutes for the people ahead of me, I mess up my shot. FUnny thing is, I'm starting to see that it's similar in pool.
When I worry too much about the angles and lines and making sure I hit the cue ball at the correct spot etc... I mess up. But if I just look at the lines, aim and shoot, I can pocket even some tough balls.

So I guess pace of play is also for pool. That being said and maybe because my pool skills are not even close to the level of my golf game, I find pool harder than golf.

PS: anyone ever gotten tennis elbow from playing too much pool? LOL
[/quote]

I just re-read this post, and agree with most all of it.

It must have been cool to play with your grandfather. I don't play much snooker now, but certainly appreciate the game.

I have been playing pool lately. I love action, but also have been doing it for my golf game. I think it helps with my focus. And like you, I am finding that I play better at a faster pace. I am going to try and work that into my golf game as I tend to over-think on the course.

I have bad elbows, but haven't noticed pool bothering them. I did get what was termed "9 ball neck" when I used to work on my break all the time.

HAHAHAHA, I'll look for the golf thread at AZb then, it'd be funny.

I was too little and I wish he's still alive so I can take him out to play.

I'm getting better and better at billiards... and yea, I'm starting to see it's an easier game than golf.
And I'm also starting to see that a lot of the good players at the pool hall are... not very nice to say the least.

Miura KM-350 & 008

I get this question a lot... primarily at the pool hall because the guys know that I'm a golfer. This is what I usually say:

[b]Golf is a more difficult game, physically.[/b]
If I worked for 30 minutes with a person who has never held a pool cue, or a golf club, they would be able to make a shot on a pool table. However, in 30 minutes, there is no guaranty that they would be able to make a swing and get a golf ball airborne. The physical movements, coordination and timing required to hit a quality golf shot is not comparable to that which is required to make a quality shot on a pool table. Everyone is physically capable of playing top level pool. Top level golf... not so much.

[b]Pool is a more difficult game, mentally.[/b]
Your standard pool table is 4.5X9 feet with pockets that are roughly 4.5 inches wide. That never changes... ever. The cloth always rolls close to the same speed, the cushions always play close to the same speed, there are always the same number of balls on the table (as long as you continue to play the same game), the balls always get racked the same way and in the same place, all of the balls are the same size, the lighting is always good, the temperature is controlled, there is no weather, no footing issues... nothing. Sure, some of these things will change a bit from table to table. Compared to golf, though, pool has removed 99% of the variables to give you as close to the same playing field as possible, every time you play. Because of this, it should be pretty easy to practice, play and master the game, right? After all... everything is the same... it never changes. Think again, my friend... think again. If I shoot a high score on a golf course, it's because a course that was meticulously designed to penalize my every misstep ended up getting the best of me. There isn't much shame in that. If I play bad pool, it's because... well... I don't know. The playing field never changes, so why didn't I play better pool?! I just don't understand why this game is still so hard! Strangely enough, the lack of variables in pool are what make the game more mentally challenging for me.

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

That's a really nice write up.

I laid off golf for a few weeks to focus on improving in pool (also because it's winter). Then I got back to playing a basic course here with no warm up.
I agree with you there, Mikey.

I feel that even if my timing is a little off in golf (I tend to hook / pull hook), I can still par the hole with my short game and putting.
WHereas in pool, the precision and accuracy plays a much bigger role. So this is mental strength IMHO.

I get tired playing pool after 2-3 hours, whereas golf, I can play 72 holes and still be decent.

I feel that pool is equivalent to putting on steroids =D

Miura KM-350 & 008

Mikey, does your right shoulder get tense and sore after playing pool for a while?

Miura KM-350 & 008

[quote name='rafal' timestamp='1384730776' post='8163698']
[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1384730093' post='8163640']
Ever wonder why there are golf instructors around every corner and pool/snooker instructors are next to non-existent? A number of years ago I started to play eight-ball again and wanted some help (book instruction was only so good). I asked around and no one taught the game for a living. Does that mean that golf is harder?
[/quote]

There's no "secret" that people are after in pool. But golf....it's like black magic, everyone wants to crack that secret.
[/quote]

I'm not sure that's right. In my experience pool is more like golf from years gone by in this respect. More pool players "dig it out of the dirt" so to speak these days than golfers, but in the not so far gone past that was the way in golf. Pool players are always after a "secret" to get around the table better or pocket shots better. There are other previously mentioned forums that make me sure I'm right on this. Pool just isn't as mainstream as golf.

[quote name='KjBowenWRX' timestamp='1384743275' post='8164728']
[quote name='Saijin' timestamp='1384741495' post='8164626']
Ken, I tend to do a lot of either follow through or draw shots as my staple , is that a bad thing? Every time I tried hitting the cue on the side spins, I mess up my shot.

PS: It's funny I get a lot more reply in a golf forum about pool than at the biggest pool forum =P
[/quote]

Having a stock shot like golf is ok.. Most people like to draw the ball cause it's fun to watch.. Cue ball control is the difference between a shot maker and a top level pool player. If you watch my videos.. I keep minimal cue ball movement after pocketing a ball.. In pool you always need to be 1-2 shots ahead.

For example.. Pocketing the 1 ball and leaving the cue on the wrong side of the 2 ball which makes getting into position for the 3 almost impossible. You have to see which ball will e hard to get to and play your shots so you can set your cue ball in that position.

As far as side spin..
Yes it does affect the shot and the challenge is how much to one side do you aim to account for you hitting the side of the cue to create the desired side spin.. Again this knowledge comes from repetitive practice.

I try to refrain from a lot of side spin as it is wry difficult to predict. I would draw the ball 2 banks rather then use side spin. But keeping the cue ball in the center of the table and keeping its movement to a minimum is key
[/quote]

I've been told this and believed it for years but seldom achieve it. Much like golf percentages and common sense make all the difference. Hero shots in both games are seldom needed if you plan or think correctly.

[quote name='Saijin' timestamp='1386200291' post='8249507']
Mikey, does your right shoulder get tense and sore after playing pool for a while?
[/quote]

Sorry Saijin... Just saw this.

No, my right shoulder is fine no matter how much I play. If anything hurts after a long session on the pool table, it's my lower back and my hamstrings.

I'm a tall guy (6'4"), so getting down to table level to sight shots isn't as easy for me as it is for most. In addition to bending at the waist, I have to lower myself a fair amount with my legs. Of course, it doesn't help that the main pool hall I play at has tables that are a few inches shorter than normal. 2-3 inches doesn't sound like much, but there sure is a difference. My back will usually hold up but, after 5-6 hours of playing, my legs start to feel it.

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]