2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Tampa 4-5 star public access?

tw422

Tampa doesn't get a lot of love in these forums - seems like the default is to go to World Woods, Innisbrook or make the trek to Steamsong. I'm headed to Tampa in Jan for a buddy trip and we are looking for good/great courses within 30-45 min of Tampa - I know that puts us almost at World Woods but are there really not any good courses (TPC of TB) either in or near Tampa? Will most likely drive to Streamsong but would prefer to not to spend the $$$. Any suggestions? Also, any of the FL/Tampa locals - can you recommend top restaurants in town? Good with burger joints, gastropubs and steak houses. Thanks!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TPC of TB is probably a 4 star but I think World Woods is worth the drive over it.

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Black 6x
Titleist TSR2 15* Ventus Blue 7x
Titleist 818H1 21* Graphite Design AD-DI 105x

Titleist T100S 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 48-10 F Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 54-12 D Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Titleist Vokey SM9 60-08 M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

TaylorMade Spider GT
WITB Link

Where in Tampa are you staying? I am in the Carrollwood/Lutz area and there are a number of good courses you can play. This all depends on how much you want to spend. The absolute best course around IMO is Southern Hills, its 45min north of Tampa. It is worth the drive. Lots of US open Qualifying stages there, tough track that is non-traditional to Florida. Also, you can play Lake Jovita they have a north and south course, the north being the better of the 2 IMO. TPC is a decent course, after you play it more than 5 times it is nothing special after that..Fox hollow is also about 35min west of Tampa, great track there as well. Lots of qualifiers there, very grainy and tough greens. If you want something cheap that is wide open and flat you can play my home course which is Northdale. They have the best greens around for a sub $30 golf course, make TPC's look like a**; same champion Bermuda too. Westchase is decent but if it rains it is a swamp. If you can get on Cheval that is another great layout but the greens have been suspect, maybe this time of the year it is worth a shot. Feel free to PM me with any questions, as far as food places in Tampa PDQ is pretty good, same with Burger Monger ($5 burger mondays and it is kobe beef) Burger 21 is decent too. Enjoy your stay, we might be the only state not below 50* like this past week was haha

[quote name='brian575' timestamp='1386691695' post='8277979']
Bring a sport coat go to Bern's Steakhouse, thank me later. Give me the exact area you will be staying in and I will give you 5-10 great places to eat mostly cheap.
[/quote]

Awesome! Thanks, looking at staying on Harbour Island at Westin but open to suggestions on where to stay. Also, looking for bar & restaurant recommendations. Open to staying wherever is best in your opinion. Is it better to stay in town or outside of downtown?

[quote name='LongBomber12' timestamp='1386692755' post='8278059']
Where in Tampa are you staying? I am in the Carrollwood/Lutz area and there are a number of good courses you can play. This all depends on how much you want to spend. The absolute best course around IMO is Southern Hills, its 45min north of Tampa. It is worth the drive. Lots of US open Qualifying stages there, tough track that is non-traditional to Florida. Also, you can play Lake Jovita they have a north and south course, the north being the better of the 2 IMO. TPC is a decent course, after you play it more than 5 times it is nothing special after that..Fox hollow is also about 35min west of Tampa, great track there as well. Lots of qualifiers there, very grainy and tough greens. If you want something cheap that is wide open and flat you can play my home course which is Northdale. They have the best greens around for a sub $30 golf course, make TPC's look like a**; same champion Bermuda too. Westchase is decent but if it rains it is a swamp. If you can get on Cheval that is another great layout but the greens have been suspect, maybe this time of the year it is worth a shot. Feel free to PM me with any questions, as far as food places in Tampa PDQ is pretty good, same with Burger Monger ($5 burger mondays and it is kobe beef) Burger 21 is decent too. Enjoy your stay, we might be the only state not below 50* like this past week was haha
[/quote]

Awesome recommendations on golf and food. Really appreciate the help.

If you're staying on HI, Streamsong is closer than World Woods and almost as close as Lake Jovita. I think Longbomber got his Jovita courses transposed, South is much better than the North. Agreed on Southern Hills, it's worth a play. TPC is not the greatest layout, but the conditions are far superior to Northdale or Fox Hollow. It's definitely one of the best high end daily fees within 30 minutes of Tampa. The other being Copperhead at Innisbrook. However, if you're going to spend Innisbrook type money in January, I'd definitely be heading to Streamsong. It's really head and shoulders above everything else within an hour and a half of the airport. You may also want to look into Southern Dunes in Haines City, about 45 minutes from HI.

With regard to dining:
Bern's: Make a reservation now. You don't need a sportcoat as brian575 suggested, just don't wear jeans. If you have wine drinkers in your group, it's as good as it gets.
Hatrick's: Cool downtown sports bar within walking distance of The Westin.
Pane Rustica: Just a few minutes from HI with some of the best food in Tampa.
Osteria Natalina: Wonderful italian restaurant next door to Pane Rustica
If you're looking for girls, a number of spots in SOHO (South Howard Ave) are good. MacDinton's being at the top of the list.
Stay away from Channelside and Ybor. Really nothing to see.

The North course at Lake Jovita is a players course. Plus that first hole on the south if the dumbest setup I have ever played. I play TPC and Northdale a lot, greens are better at Northdale, fairways, rough and sand traps are better at TPC (more money). Fox Hollow holds a ton of qualifiers there every year including the what once was "The Outback tourney". If you think Fox is not superior to TPC, thats crazy talk my friend. On another note Ybor can be entertaining; SOHO is the night life but be prepared to pay and it will be crazy packed down there. But tons of ladies.

Played TPC TB a few months ago. I wanted to get on Innisbrook, but it was closed for maintenance. I wasn't too thrilled to try TPC TB because I'm not a fan of most TPC courses (they're not bad, but you kinda know what you're going to get). But, I really liked TPC TB. Great condition as well.

RH

Just my opinion, but I don't know where all the love for Southern Hills comes from. It's own by the same guy who owns World Woods, but I don't think the course compares with either of the World Woods courses.

I'm a member at Fox Hollow, so I guess I could be biased, but I agree ... Fox Hollow is a much better layout than TPC Tampa & about 1/2 the price.

[quote name='tw422' timestamp='1387387032' post='8318443']
these are all great suggestions and i appreciate the "off" list suggestions. that's what I was looking for! i've hear fox hollow and copperhead are worth playing as well. is it possible to get 36 in in january? im guessing we would need to be first out and not take a break for lunch?
[/quote]

Fox Hollow will cost you $50 or so, Copperhead will cost you about $250.

I'm in Tampa now. I was playing at 8 this morning, hitting balls at Fox Hollow until 30 minutes ago ... plenty of time for 36.

I called Innisbrook yesterday to play and the guy told me the copperhead course wasn't in that great of shape. I made the hike up to Southern Hills and the course is in phenomenal shape. They cut the greens a little more than usual and they were the fastest I've ever seen them. You HAVE to play Southern Hills.

Brian, I've taken multiple friends and clients to Southern Hills because of the layout, non-traditional florida golf, and the consistency. WW has two great courses but they are nothing like Southern Hills. More undulation, a lot more planning goes into each shot because it is very tough to get a flat lie or putt for that matter. The course itself is pretty open but land in the rough and good luck getting it out certain times of the year. To give you an example, number 7 is a 625 yard par 5 from the tips. I would recommend playing the course from the golds the first time you see it, 7600 from tips; like 7200 from the golds. This hole is amazing, straight up hill on your drive and it is tough to get to the top of the hill unless you murder it. Once you are on top of the hill you are the highest registered point in Florida. Then you have another 320-360 straight downhill to the green. You will not be able to see the fairway below and will need a buddy to go to the very edge and watch your ball. That kind of stuff you just don't see in Florida. I love the course because it is the toughest around and the greens are so hard to read (like Fox Hollow). They have qualifiers at Fox and Southern Hills for that reason

[quote name='LongBomber12' timestamp='1387476552' post='8323661']
I called Innisbrook yesterday to play and the guy told me the copperhead course wasn't in that great of shape. I made the hike up to Southern Hills and the course is in phenomenal shape. They cut the greens a little more than usual and they were the fastest I've ever seen them. You HAVE to play Southern Hills.

Brian, I've taken multiple friends and clients to Southern Hills because of the layout, non-traditional florida golf, and the consistency. WW has two great courses but they are nothing like Southern Hills. More undulation, a lot more planning goes into each shot because it is very tough to get a flat lie or putt for that matter. The course itself is pretty open but land in the rough and good luck getting it out certain times of the year. To give you an example, number 7 is a 625 yard par 5 from the tips. I would recommend playing the course from the golds the first time you see it, 7600 from tips; like 7200 from the golds. This hole is amazing, straight up hill on your drive and it is tough to get to the top of the hill unless you murder it. Once you are on top of the hill you are the highest registered point in Florida. Then you have another 320-360 straight downhill to the green. You will not be able to see the fairway below and will need a buddy to go to the very edge and watch your ball. That kind of stuff you just don't see in Florida. I love the course because it is the toughest around and the greens are so hard to read (like Fox Hollow). They have qualifiers at Fox and Southern Hills for that reason
[/quote]

My days of playing from 7200 yards are long gone. Maybe I'll try it again, one of these days. A friend of mine qualified for the Canadian Tour at Southern Hills a few years ago, he liked it.

I hadn't been there in 3 months till yesterday. The greens were iffy when I last played, grown-out, thick, and just sluggish. Yesterday's greens changed the course entirely. You actually had to account for too much spin off the hills and watch your ball roll 20 feet back off the green if hit in the wrong spot. You must go check it out again.

Does Black Diamond still allow visitors? That's one I'd recommend, along with Innisbrook Copperhead, World Woods Pine Barrens, Southern Dunes, and Fox Hollow,

Dynapwr Carbon/TSr3 10.0*     w/Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60g
Taylormade Qi10 Fwy 15* & Hyb 19*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 60/70g

Wilson Staff Utility Iron 21*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 80g

Wilson Staff Dynapwr Forged 5-PW

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Vokey SM9 48/52/58 w/DG S200

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5+

[quote name='67VIP' timestamp='1387839484' post='8341101']
Does Black Diamond still allow visitors? That's one I'd recommend, along with Innisbrook Copperhead, World Woods Pine Barrens, Southern Dunes, and Fox Hollow,
[/quote]

You need to play with a member at Black Diamond and I've heard the course is not in very good condition.

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1387840064' post='8341143']
[quote name='67VIP' timestamp='1387839484' post='8341101']
[/quote]

You need to play with a member at Black Diamond and I've heard the course is not in very good condition.
[/quote]

That's a shame, I know they were allowing a limited amount of outside play for a while...I got on for $95. Back nine holes around the quarry are spectacular.

Dynapwr Carbon/TSr3 10.0*     w/Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60g
Taylormade Qi10 Fwy 15* & Hyb 19*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 60/70g

Wilson Staff Utility Iron 21*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 80g

Wilson Staff Dynapwr Forged 5-PW

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Vokey SM9 48/52/58 w/DG S200

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5+