2014 Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship

imakaveli

[quote name='Lesmond' timestamp='1389869785' post='8470149']
Yup. I'm watching the recording. It's ok.. I got curious and went to the euro tour site and checked out the leaderboard. So I now know all the scores.

At one time during the broadcast, they showed Sergio getting his shoulder attended to. Wonder what happened to him?
[/quote]

http://www1.skysports.com/golf/news/12230/9118307/sergio-garcia-describes-rough-in-abu-dhabi-championship-as-dangerous

[b]Sergio Garcia describes rough in Abu Dhabi Championship as dangerous[/b]

The Spaniard hurt his shoulder in Wednesday's pro-am and aggravated the problem when hacking out of the penal rough in a four-over 76 which left him nine shots off the clubhouse lead.

Garcia was treated by a European Tour physio in between shots for three holes, and he will receive further medical attention before deciding whether he can tee up on the second day.

The 34-year-old said: "The problem is they have cut the rough from green to tee and the ball nestles down. Every single ball nestles down and you can't hit it 100 yards.

"I have tweaked a muscle and hitting from the rough is not helping. We will see how it feels later. Hopefully I am the only one (who gets hurt), but unfortunately the way the course is set up it could happen to more people."

Asked if he felt the rough was dangerous, Garcia added: "I would say so."

Garcia's views were backed up by Open champion Phil Mickelson, who revealed he had hurt his back playing from the rough on the ninth - his final hole - as he signed off with his only bogey of the day there after 17 pars.

"I kind of hurt myself going after one," said Mickelson, who could not recall the last round he had completed without a single birdie.

"I twinged my back on the last hole. You have to be careful and maybe just wedge it out and not risk any injury.

"It's a world-class course and there's nothing unfair about it - it's just difficult. On Friday I will have to be very conservative off the tee just to put it in play."

** but how about the dig ewen murray gets in about PGA Tour set ups and its membership....shots fired!! whoa **

"Sky Sports commentator Ewen Murray believes the rough should be set up to punish errant drives, insisting the premium should be on accuracy rather than length.

Murray described the course set-up as "marvellous", and said: "You are talking about setting up the golf course to test some of the finest players in the game today. In my opinion, that examination needs to be a stern one.

"Straight driving is very much part of the game and those who hit most fairways should have the advantage over those who don't. You will not beat these players will length alone, but you will identify the best of them by putting the premium on accuracy.

"The Tour should shorten the course on perhaps two of the four days and combine that with tucking the pins away. Give them different tests rather than the same all four rounds.

[b]"The courses in the States are too easy. There is little or no rough and that plays into the hands of the long hitters. Their setting up of courses creates one dimensional players.[/b]

[b]"We copy America too often. The European Tour should take the lead, add variety and ask the players some different questions. [/b]When you do that the best will come up with the answers."

9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Nike SV
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1389869102' post='8470137']
[quote name='Lesmond' timestamp='1389868904' post='8470131']
[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1389868616' post='8470125']
[i]Did PM actually have the BBA in the bag in the first round? I missed the first part of the coverage this morning, so I didn't see.[/i]
[/quote]

I'm watching it now. Looks like he is using the alpha. But not finding fairways.

Rory is using the 2.0 and having better success.
[/quote]

You must be watching the recording then. So Phils' BBA isn't quite as game changing after all then. I know his final score, but I won't spoil it for you if you are watching the recording. Early days though I guess.
[/quote]

Like butch told him before pebble in 2012, shorten that back swing, he DROVE the ball better than I ever saw him at pebble that week.

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

[quote name='drbonesvt' timestamp='1389926512' post='8475401']
[i]Did PM actually have the BBA in the bag in the first round? I missed the first part of the coverage this morning, so I didn't see.[/i]
[/quote]

I'm watching it now. Looks like he is using the alpha. But not finding fairways.

[/quote]

You must be watching the recording then. So Phils' BBA isn't quite as game changing after all then. I know his final score, but I won't spoil it for you if you are watching the recording. Early days though I guess.
[/quote]

Like butch told him before pebble in 2012, shorten that back swing, he DROVE the ball better than I ever saw him at pebble that week.
[/quote]

Then there was Pebble 2013 where he couldn't find a fairway again. Especially 2 straight days in the Pacific Ocean on #18.

Phil needs a G25.

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='kemau' timestamp='1389925537' post='8475271']
** But how about the dig Ewen Murray gets in about PGA Tour set ups and its membership....shots fired!! Whoa! **

"Sky Sports commentator Ewen Murray believes the rough should be set up to punish errant drives, insisting the premium should be on accuracy rather than length.

Murray described the course set-up as "marvellous", and said: "You are talking about setting up the golf course to test some of the finest players in the game today. In my opinion, that examination needs to be a stern one.

"Straight driving is very much part of the game and those who hit most fairways should have the advantage over those who don't. You will not beat these players will length alone, but you will identify the best of them by putting the premium on accuracy.

"The Tour should shorten the course on perhaps two of the four days and combine that with tucking the pins away. Give them different tests rather than the same all four rounds.

[b]"The courses in the States are too easy. There is little or no rough and that plays into the hands of the long hitters. Their setting up of courses creates one dimensional players.[/b]

[b]"We copy America too often. The European Tour should take the lead, add variety and ask the players some different questions. [/b]When you do that the best will come up with the answers."
[/quote]

Ewen Murray is a dolt. He obviously does not watch the PGA TOUR, but relishes any opportunity to criticize it, and anything American. Is his bitterness, resentfulness and insecurity that intense?

We had a thread here at GolfWRX a few months ago in which it was revealed that there were more tournaments on the European Tour with winning scores of -20 or better than on the PGA TOUR. So, Ewen, which tour has the easier courses?

Ewen the numskull also contends that the PGA TOUR produces one-dimensional players. I would think one-dimensional players would have a very difficult time with, say, traveling overseas and performing well on links courses in British Open conditions, right Mr. Murray?

I wonder how Ewen explains the fact that 13 of the previous 25 British Opens (that's more than half, Ewen) have been won by "one-dimensional" Americans.

Looks like Sergio may have hurt his shoulder and Phil may have tweaked his back on the high rough which is too high and rubbish. I hope other golfers do not injure themselves there.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/10576179/Rory-McIlroy-back-to-his-best-at-Abu-Dhabi-Championship-as-Sergio-Garcia-blasts-dangerous-rough.html

Maybe they need to watch a few Masters there in Abu Dhabi to see how to trim the rough.

[quote name='drbonesvt' timestamp='1389926512' post='8475401']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Phil was The Boss that year at Pebble.

[quote name='Frankie Lob Wedge' timestamp='1389935023' post='8476185']
Looks like Sergio may have hurt his shoulder and Phil may have tweaked his back on the high rough which is too high and rubbish. I hope other golfers do not injure themselves there.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/10576179/Rory-McIlroy-back-to-his-best-at-Abu-Dhabi-Championship-as-Sergio-Garcia-blasts-dangerous-rough.html

Maybe they need to watch a few Masters there in Abu Dhabi to see how to trim the rough.
[/quote]

Well, let's be straight here. Five or six inches of rough is intended to penalize inaccurate driving. The idea is a 1/2 stroke penalty which sees a golfer wedging the ball back into play, then saving par with a precision short iron shot and timely, nerves-of-steel putting.

The odds of placing your ball on the green from anywhere outside 170 yards, from 5" rough, are very low. But the chances of injury are pretty good. A golfer must decide which play is most prudent.

[quote name='Frankie Lob Wedge' timestamp='1389935023' post='8476185']

[url="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/10576179/Rory-McIlroy-back-to-his-best-at-Abu-Dhabi-Championship-as-Sergio-Garcia-blasts-dangerous-rough.html"]http://www.telegraph...rous-rough.html[/url]

[/quote]

Probably they watched the US Open instead

[quote name='PGArox' timestamp='1389933263' post='8476033']
[quote name='kemau' timestamp='1389925537' post='8475271']
** But how about the dig Ewen Murray gets in about PGA Tour set ups and its membership....shots fired!! Whoa! **

[/quote]

Ewen Murray is a dolt. He obviously does not watch the PGA TOUR, but relishes any opportunity to criticize it, and anything American. Is his bitterness, resentfulness and insecurity that intense?

We had a thread here at GolfWRX a few months ago in which it was revealed that there were more tournaments on the European Tour with winning scores of -20 or better than on the PGA TOUR. So, Ewen, which tour has the easier courses?

Ewen the numskull also contends that the PGA TOUR produces one-dimensional players. I would think one-dimensional players would have a very difficult time with, say, traveling overseas and performing well on links courses in British Open conditions, right Mr. Murray?

I wonder how Ewen explains the fact that 13 of the previous 25 British Opens (that's more than half, Ewen) have been won by "one-dimensional" Americans.
[/quote]

I fully understand your defence of your fellow nationals, that is quite understandable, and want to say that I personally accept your points you make.

And whilst I didn't hear the remarks that Ewan Murray made, but they do seem a little clumsy, and can easily see how they could be construed as being pretty offensive.

However, in spite of this, is there not a possibility that he wasn't saying that American Golfers were not as good as International Players. The term 'one dimensional' does, I agree infer inferiority, which is clearly completely wrong of him to say such a thing. But 'one dimensional' does not necessarily mean worse. Some of the best engineering feats could be described as 'one dimensional' yet they are extremely efficient.

As to your analogy of 13 of 25 Americans winning the Open Championship, it is a fair point, but I think we all know, that most statistics can be swayed to suit an argument. For example, if you take the 5 years prior to the 25 you chose, we would also see that not one American won the Open in those 5 years. Or that if we wanted to be pedantic, its not actually 13 Americans, as Tiger has won 3 of them in that time, so it's actually 11 out of 25. Or even that if we take the last 7 years of the Open, only 2 out of those 7 has been Americans.

My point here is that Statistics can be swayed to suit most arguments and it's very easy to cherry pick.

As I said though, Ewan Murrays comments could be construed as being quite offensive, and were perhaps somewhat ill thought and not entirely accurate, depending on which side one sits. I just wanted to put another side to things, but I can understand and respect your gripe.

[quote name='kemau' timestamp='1389956060' post='8476617']
stenson with a total of 2 over on cut day.....possibly looking at a MC to start 2014. a bit surprised after a month off to recharge for the season
[/quote]

Looks likely, certainly a surprise after how he played the second half of last year!! :blink:

TM 16 M2 10.5 up to 12.0 Aldila NVS R
TM RBZ 3 Wood 15.0 Aldila NV R
Adams Pro 20 Xcalibur Hybrid R
Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal 4-PW TT XP95 R
Vokey SM5 50*, 54*, 58* Raw Black
Scotty Cameron Cali Sonoma Superstoke Flatso 1.0
Srixon AD333 Tour
Adidas
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/923763-oakey90-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Oakey90' timestamp='1389958254' post='8476649']
stenson with a total of 2 over on cut day.....possibly looking at a MC to start 2014. a bit surprised after a month off to recharge for the season
[/quote]

Looks likely, certainly a surprise after how he played the second half of last year!! :blink:
[/quote]

We are all a bit rusty after vacation :D

[quote name='imakaveli' timestamp='1389959954' post='8476695']
[quote name='Oakey90' timestamp='1389958254' post='8476649']
[/quote]

[/quote]

We are all a bit rusty after vacation :D
[/quote]

I don't need a vacation to be rusty :D

Srixon AD333 Tour
Adidas

rory is looking good...phil is rusty!!

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

[quote name='imakaveli' timestamp='1389965993' post='8477009']
Garcia managed to make the cut after yesterday, nice comeback!
[/quote]

was actually going to post something about garcia as well...really battled back from an awful 1st round but looking at the other 2nd round scores the course had quite a few openings for good scores. doesn't look favorable for a win but maybe can put a few pieces together. however, his 2nd round got even more interesting after i just saw he walked in this morning to be greeted by a rules violation question

[url="http://origin-www.golfchannel.com/news/associated-press/garcia-cleared-rules-breach-abu-dhabi/"]http://origin-www.golfchannel.com/news/associated-press/garcia-cleared-rules-breach-abu-dhabi/[/url]

[b]Garcia cleared of rules breach in Abu Dhabi[/b]

Sergio Garcia has been questioned about a breach of rules at the Abu Dhabi Championship, and was then cleared of any wrongdoing.

Garcia arrived at the National Course on Friday morning and was met by European Tour chief referee John Paramor, who led the Spaniard to a TV compound to review video footage from Thursday.

Garcia marked his ball on what was the ninth hole of his round, but then reached forward with his putter to tap down something on the green. The Spaniard said he was flattening a pitch mark, which is a legal action, and Paramor accepted Garcia's explanation after visiting the green on Friday.

The European Tour says ''John Paramor is satisfied with Sergio's version of the matter and that is the end of the issue.''

9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Nike SV
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour

[quote name='kemau' timestamp='1389969283' post='8477297']
[/quote]

was actually going to post something about garcia as well...really battled back from an awful 1st round but looking at the other 2nd round scores the course had quite a few openings for good scores. doesn't look favorable for a win but maybe can put a few pieces together. however, his 2nd round got even more interesting after i just saw he walked in this morning to be greeted by a rules violation question

[url="http://origin-www.golfchannel.com/news/associated-press/garcia-cleared-rules-breach-abu-dhabi/"]http://origin-www.go...each-abu-dhabi/[/url]

Sergio Garcia has been questioned about a breach of rules at the Abu Dhabi Championship, and was then cleared of any wrongdoing.

Garcia arrived at the National Course on Friday morning and was met by European Tour chief referee John Paramor, who led the Spaniard to a TV compound to review video footage from Thursday.

Garcia marked his ball on what was the ninth hole of his round, but then reached forward with his putter to tap down something on the green. The Spaniard said he was flattening a pitch mark, which is a legal action, and Paramor accepted Garcia's explanation after visiting the green on Friday.

The European Tour says ''John Paramor is satisfied with Sergio's version of the matter and that is the end of the issue.''
[/quote]

Rules violations in Abu Dhabi sounds good, I'll put some money on him as the 2014 POY!

[quote name='imakaveli' timestamp='1389971993' post='8477583']
[/quote]

[url="http://origin-www.golfchannel.com/news/associated-press/garcia-cleared-rules-breach-abu-dhabi/"]http://origin-www.go...each-abu-dhabi/[/url]

[/quote]

Rules violations in Abu Dhabi sounds good, I'll put some money on him as the 2014 POY!
[/quote]

I see what you're saying ;)

Srixon AD333 Tour
Adidas

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

funny....a precedent was set for sure in abu dhabi. i'm sure he wouldn't mind it happening to him as well. might also need his gf back on the bag since their last outing together resulted in victory

9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Nike SV
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour

[quote name='drbonesvt' timestamp='1389970955' post='8477463']
Rory looking good!!! And Driving the ball well
[/quote]

He's back,and not just driving it well he's hitting it miles

[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Driver Ping G400 10*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Hybrids Ping G30 17* 19*[/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Irons Ping i200 4//PW[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Wedges Ping Glide 50* 54* 60*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Putter Black Series [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Balls Bridgestone B330-RXS[/color][/b][/font]

[quote name='ron lefthanded holmes' timestamp='1389976677' post='8478091']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Same driver as last year, nike 2.0? or was he using a diff

whats the diff btw the covert and covert 2.0, whatever he found, hope it continues...hated to see him struggle.

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

[/quote]

[/quote]

...rory looks like he's in a good place right now and his game shows it...

won't be surprised if he wins this..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

he wasn't pleased at all about it though. another funny....look at who was paired up with sergio, who was also there with tiger last year at abu dhabi too. martin kaymer!

[url="http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/blogs/local-knowledge/2014/01/garcia-cleared-of-any-wrongdoing-has-a-legitimate-gripe.html"]http://www.golfdiges...mate-gripe.html[/url]

"Having gone some way to repairing a pitch mark in front of his ball, Garcia had merely paused to allow his playing partner, former PGA champion Martin Kaymer, to putt. Then, when the German missed, Garcia completed his task. All perfectly legal. All perfectly innocent.

The next morning, having been made aware of the "incident" that provoked some over-eager websites to use the word 'cheat' next to "Garcia," the European Tour's chief referee, John Paramor, was obliged to take the six-time Ryder Cup player out to the 18th to run through exactly what happened. It didn't take long to dismiss all charges.

"Cheating is something I would never do," said an indignant Garcia immediately after completing a second round of 68 that saw him make the halfway cut in the HSBC Abu Dhabi Championship with nothing to spare. "But it does feel bad to be related to that word, when there is no proof and when I've never cheated in my life. It hurt a little bit.

"It's fine to call in when you can see that someone has cheated. But to say that about someone without knowing all the facts is wrong. Being related to that word is the most disgusting thing that can happen to any golfer. So it was a little disappointing. I'm happy it was cleared up with John and I was able to play today."

9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Nike SV
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour

[quote name='drbonesvt' timestamp='1389977003' post='8478133']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Same driver as last year, nike 2.0? or was he using a diff

whats the diff btw the covert and covert 2.0, whatever he found, hope it continues...hated to see him struggle.
[/quote]
Last year he had the covert tour 430cc this year he's using the new CT 2.0 460cc.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1389977207' post='8478155']
On what channel are they replaying the HSBC in the evenings? All I saw was Humana
[/quote]

Shown live at 1AM then replayed later that morning only

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

[quote name='imakaveli' timestamp='1389964785' post='8476925']
Fletwood is playing very good, there are a lot of players that have the Ryder cup in their mind this year!
[/quote]

Tommy almost won it last week. His name keeps coming up for a shot at the Ryder Cup. I know he is in The Open. Hoepfully he can get an invote to The Masters.