2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Miura K Grind 64 -Fast, Humped, Undulating Greens

SwingMan

Look , it's hard to know what Miura actually charged him to make these wedges !
He may not be overcharging for these wedges as his wholesale price could've been out of this world .
It does however tend to be my experience though that whenever a distributor of goods has or carries something exclusively that they can pretty much ( and mostly do ) charge whatever they like !

Epon 103 9.5* Quadra Fire Express 75s
PXG 3 wood 15* GD Tour AD-DJ 7x
PXG 3 & 4 Hybrids GD Tour AD-DI hy85s
Miura CB 57s 5 - PW KBS C-Taper Lite S
Miura New Wedge Series 50 , 54 & 58
Yamada Shogun

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

ok, I've seen a 70 on the market now by OnOff...a 70!!! 64* is a great loft for green side creativity, when you get used to committing to the shot and ACCELERATING thru the ball, but I honestly fear what a 70* could do to your own face...yet I still want to try lol

getting back on the topic of this miura 64 k, do the knuckles make it any less versatile than one without? I liked the knuckles on a 56* in the sand, but it kinda got in the way of creative shots around the greens when really trying to open it up and slide it across different surfaces. would love to hear people's experiences on the 64* k grind around the greens for the serious finesse shots, thx.

[quote name='needmoregolf' timestamp='1430284851' post='11463539']
ok, I've seen a 70 on the market now by OnOff...a 70!!! 64* is a great loft for green side creativity, when you get used to committing to the shot and ACCELERATING thru the ball, but I honestly fear what a 70* could do to your own face...yet I still want to try lol

getting back on the topic of this miura 64 k, do the knuckles make it any less versatile than one without? I liked the knuckles on a 56* in the sand, but it kinda got in the way of creative shots around the greens when really trying to open it up and slide it across different surfaces. would love to hear people's experiences on the 64* k grind around the greens for the serious finesse shots, thx.
[/quote]

I think you've answered your question . If the knuckles got in the way of the 56* Ks versatility and creativity around the green then I would seriously expect the same with the 64* K as well !
I'm not really sure that this club is designed for finesse shots around the green .
My fitter recently added a 56* to his kit , I was quite happy to try it but was happier to hand it back after a couple of shots . The K grind's just not for me . It was designed to provide forgiveness from rough and sand . It's not a great all round wedge in my opinion .
As for OnOff releasing a 70* wedge , well that's the craziest release I've heard of in a while !
The only golfer I see this benefitting is someone who comes over the top in their swing and delofts their club enormously .
What's next a 2* degree driver !

Epon 103 9.5* Quadra Fire Express 75s
PXG 3 wood 15* GD Tour AD-DJ 7x
PXG 3 & 4 Hybrids GD Tour AD-DI hy85s
Miura CB 57s 5 - PW KBS C-Taper Lite S
Miura New Wedge Series 50 , 54 & 58
Yamada Shogun

the weird thing about the 64 and 70 OnOff is that it's designed so you hit in a square stance and not open as most would do when pulling such a high lofted club. I assume this is for weaker bunker players that just need to keep things very basic and stand square and take a normal swing (I'll admit, that MAY be me lol)

maybe he had to make a mold just for this loft and that would cover his investment? although, why he wouldn't continue to make them as demand called for it is a mystery, but I know the people who have them are from one off custom bulk orders.

I agree about the knuckles ruining finesse shots, so it's just cheaper if I stay away, so many other amazing JDM wedges out there anyways ;)

I think Frank said he asked Miura to make a very limited edition for a few of his customers who wanted to use a 64 on crowned greens like Pinehurst. My guess is Miura would do it for a minimum of 12 wedges. Yes, the price is the price.

For those who want a 64 that works off tight lies with bounce and a lowered leading edge, since Frank's are sold out, try an Edel 64 -- it's only about 175-195. I've gone to Edel from Miura for 2 years, and can do so much more with it -- lowered leading edge, bounce engages, no need to place ball back in stance unless you want -- the bounce (poor term) of Edels helps the wedge glide -- you have 8 different grind options and a custom fitting.

You can purchase the forged edition for $300, but I found no difference in feel between the Edel forged and cast. Plus, if you open (open a 64?) the wedge, the grooves go out to the toe to give you more spin (similar to what Phil did with his new PM grind).

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

[quote name='MJisGOAT' timestamp='1430478392' post='11478409']
From what I'm tracking (I could be in the dark) only a handful were received, and only a handful were received. No bulk.
[/quote]

yes, sorry, usrd the wrong phrasing, I meant a small handful but at a one time group buy, as opposed to selling one at a time.

Hmmm, always been curious about edel, but thought maybe they were overhyped. I'm a big fan of forged wedges so have been gaming various JDM brands for the last 2 seasons. Might have to give them a shot, but with 8 different grinds, might be tough to settle in on one at first try. what's the most versatile grind they have?

[quote name='needmoregolf' timestamp='1430486190' post='11478807']
[quote name='MJisGOAT' timestamp='1430478392' post='11478409']
From what I'm tracking (I could be in the dark) only a handful were received, and only a handful were received. No bulk.
[/quote]

yes, sorry, usrd the wrong phrasing, I meant a small handful but at a one time group buy, as opposed to selling one at a time.

Hmmm, always been curious about edel, but thought maybe they were overhyped. I'm a big fan of forged wedges so have been gaming various JDM brands for the last 2 seasons. Might have to give them a shot, but with 8 different grinds, might be tough to settle in on one at first try. what's the most versatile grind they have?
[/quote]

Grind is based on your swing -- they have a fitter in ... Pebble Beach. Next time you visit.

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

• 8 months later...

just an update had a brief moment with this wedge, i like quit golf for 4 months got the wedge and quit again, hard when your raisning 3 year olds and with another on the way its tough!

actually selling mine , haven't played in 2 months, this thing is a killer out of bunkers, better than the k 56 which i also had. in bunkers you'd expect it to flop sky-high but it doesn't and there is also run. wether its a tall bunker or a generous green with the flag in the middle the K 64 will give launch high yet still run. weird.

fyi. miura never released this to the public and to be honest I've only seen them here in wrx to be honest.

as for price since its limited so guess all bets are off.

Epon EF-02D Diamana x17 6s

Epon AF-256 #3 Diamana x12 7s

Epon AF-256 #5 Diamana x12 7s

Epon AF-906 23 Tensei Ck pw hb90

Epon AF-506 #5-aw Tensei AM2Ws

Epon Tour wedge M56 DG spinner

Tad Moore handmade blade 

I want one!!!!

Taylormade M1 8.75° - Accra FX 260 - M4
Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815hy 17° - Veylix Rome 988
Srixon ZU45 2 Iron - N S Pro Modus³ Tour 125S
Miura PP 9003 SN 4-PW - N S Pro Modus³ Tour 125S
Miura Y Grind 50° & 60° - N S Pro Modus³ 125 Wedge
Miura K Grind 55° - N S Pro Modus³ 125 Wedge
Edel E2 Custom - 35"

• 6 months later...

I wanted to add to some of the posts above that in my experience neither Miura North America nor the U.S. Miura distributors that I've worked with have ever over charged me or people I've known for Miura clubs. Quite the opposite actually.

Did I initially have pre-purchase reservations about the K Grind knuckles? Yes. How could one not contemplate every aspect of such a unique sole design and grind, especially if one enjoys making creative approach and green side shots. But, I read a few reviews by some folks I've come to respect, I spoke with a gentleman I know who owns two Miura K Grinds, and then I decided to put a little trust in the 1957 stamping by Miura-san. Also, Adam Barr has reported that he has never seen anyone but Miura-san perform the final grind on the knuckles of the K Grind wedges.

I can say that over the years I've had Cleveland raw Tour issue wedges, Tour Issue TM wedges, and a whole variety of Vokey SM2, SM4, & SM5 wedges, including retail, TVD's and WedgeWorks. Some of those are still great wedges in every respect. But, none of those are knocking the Miura K Grinds from my primary bag. Those other great wedges are in my travel bag, my desert bag, and the bag I keep for visiting friends, but the K Grinds are mine and I don't see them departing anytime in the foreseeable future. I find them amazing.

Whether full fairway shots or green side finesse shots with an open face, these K Grind Miura wedges deliver and I would hazard that is especially true for diggers like me. Perhaps most interesting, I found that the K Grinds were pretty much immediately useable on the course. There has been no "learning curve" necessary prior to "figuring them out."

Spoiler

Ai Smoke MAX 10.5  Velocore Red 6S 44.5" D3

Ai Smoke Ti 340 Mini 13.5 Denali Blue R

Rogue ST MAX 5W,7W Velocore  Red 7S 

Srixon MKII ZX4-4 KBS Tour Lite 100 S, Srixon ZX5-5&6, ZX7 7-PW

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

SM8 Raw 52 F-12, WW 56 V & 60 V

L.A.B. ZF3 35" 69* w/2* Pistol Grip

Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794), Pro V1x, Miura Alt bag: 4-PW CB57’s & K Grinds 52,56,60,64 or Fun Bag MP-33 5-PW 

I wanted to add to some of the posts above that in my experience neither Miura North America nor the U.S. Miura distributors that I've worked with have ever over charged me or people I've known for Miura clubs. Quite the opposite actually.

Did I initially have pre-purchase reservations about the K Grind knuckles? Yes. How could one not contemplate every aspect of such a unique sole design and grind, especially if one enjoys making creative approach and green side shots. But, I read a few reviews by some folks I've come to respect, I spoke with a gentleman I know who owns two Miura K Grinds, and then I decided to put a little trust in the 1957 stamping by Miura-san. Also, Adam Barr has reported that he has never seen anyone but Miura-san perform the final grind on the knuckles of the K Grind wedges.

I can say that over the years I've had Cleveland raw Tour issue wedges, Tour Issue TM wedges, and a whole variety of Vokey SM2, SM4, & SM5 wedges, including retail, TVD's and WedgeWorks. Some of those are still great wedges in every respect. But, none of those are knocking the Miura K Grinds from my primary bag. Those other great wedges are in my travel bag, my desert bag, and the bag I keep for visiting friends, but the K Grinds are mine and I don't see them departing anytime in the foreseeable future. I find them amazing.

Whether full fairway shots or green side finesse shots with an open face, these K Grind Miura wedges deliver and I would hazard that is especially true for diggers like me. Perhaps most interesting, I found that the K Grinds were pretty much immediately useable on the course. There has been no "learning curve" necessary prior to "figuring them out."

glad it worked out for you. i know the 64 is a great club. just haven't used mine enough.

tried selling it in BST but had zero interest in it.

hope she serves you well! see you have the entire K grind happy family!

Epon EF-02D Diamana x17 6s

Epon AF-256 #3 Diamana x12 7s

Epon AF-256 #5 Diamana x12 7s

Epon AF-906 23 Tensei Ck pw hb90

Epon AF-506 #5-aw Tensei AM2Ws

Epon Tour wedge M56 DG spinner

Tad Moore handmade blade 

• 1 month later...

If anyone wants these very limited edition, K Grinds @ 64 (only 12 in the world), I was at Frank Viola's place @ www.aceofclubstp.com, and asked about them. He still has 3-4 heads available - Frank only sells a club, but has about every shaft available. If you want a ball to stop, especially on baked and/or crowned greens...

I bought a 56 K grind from Frank, bent to 55 for ease out of bunkers and some other "stuff."

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

If anyone wants these very limited edition, K Grinds @ 64 (only 12 in the world), I was at Frank Viola's place @ www.aceofclubstp.com, and asked about them. He still has 3-4 heads available - Frank only sells a club, but has about every shaft available. If you want a ball to stop, especially on baked and/or crowned greens...

I bought a 56 K grind from Frank, bent to 55 for ease out of bunkers and some other "stuff."

Is he still trying to get $600 for them?

I'd love to add one to experiment with, but I don't think I can stomach the premium for something that might not work.

Is he still trying to get $600 for them?

I'd love to add one to experiment with, but I don't think I can stomach the premium for something that might not work.

Maybe not... just ask.

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

• 1 month later...

I got my K Grind 64 from Miura several months ago with my preferred shaft for $360. It was part of a new limited run of 20 if I remember correctly. I had to change to TM M1 4 & 6 fairways to create a place in the bag. The versatility of the 64 dictated the changes and very pleased with this new setup.

Spoiler

Ai Smoke MAX 10.5  Velocore Red 6S 44.5" D3

Ai Smoke Ti 340 Mini 13.5 Denali Blue R

Rogue ST MAX 5W,7W Velocore  Red 7S 

Srixon MKII ZX4-4 KBS Tour Lite 100 S, Srixon ZX5-5&6, ZX7 7-PW

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

SM8 Raw 52 F-12, WW 56 V & 60 V

L.A.B. ZF3 35" 69* w/2* Pistol Grip

Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794), Pro V1x, Miura Alt bag: 4-PW CB57’s & K Grinds 52,56,60,64 or Fun Bag MP-33 5-PW