2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Game Golf tracking system (merged)

[quote name='techjunkee' timestamp='1423420361' post='10911765']
Another awesome note: they started stamping your rounds with weather conditions.
[/quote]I was really happy when I saw that.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After using the GameGolf for 3 rounds last June and then sending it back again because the locations where way off I am now giving it a second try (I tried to hold out until they have a version where you can upload the rounds via the iPhone/iPad but that doesn't seem to be in the pipeline).
Any way, now that I am on board again I've got a few questions:

1) To avoid 'off-readings' is the consensus that you tag either after the shot or after you have been in the spot for a a while so that the GPS can settle on its location?I
2) I've read about cases on this thread that the device dropped of the belt. Does this only happen on thin belts (or when no belt is worn) or can it happen with a normal thick belt as well. I've seem Mark Crossfield (YouTube playing logs) always keeps his GameGolf in his pocket and takes it out for tagging but this might just be a 'winter' golf thing. Where do you keep the device. Do you use a 'safety' string which you attach to the device and the belt - or is that overkill?
3) I've got a second set which I only use once a year for about 3 weeks (on holidays). Would you recommend getting a second set of tags which they are now selling or will the tags survive several swaps?

Thanks

[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1423481127' post='10915989']
After using the GameGolf for 3 rounds last June and then sending it back again because the locations where way off I am now giving it a second try (I tried to hold out until they have a version where you can upload the rounds via the iPhone/iPad but that doesn't seem to be in the pipeline).

1) To avoid 'off-readings' is the consensus that you tag either after the shot or after you have been in the spot for a a while so that the GPS can settle on its location?I
2) I've read about cases on this thread that the device dropped of the belt. Does this only happen on thin belts (or when no belt is worn) or can it happen with a normal thick belt as well. I've seem Mark Crossfield (YouTube playing logs) always keeps his GameGolf in his pocket and takes it out for tagging but this might just be a 'winter' golf thing. Where do you keep the device. Do you use a 'safety' string which you attach to the device and the belt - or is that overkill?
3) I've got a second set which I only use once a year for about 3 weeks (on holidays). Would you recommend getting a second set of tags which they are now selling or will the tags survive several swaps?

Thanks
[/quote]1. I don't think it matters when you tag. The accuracy isn't 100% still.
2. I've just used it on my belt (right-handed player, right-front part of my pants).
3. I would just get a second set of tags. Saves a lot of time screwing and unscrewing tags.

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

[quote name='CactusGolf' timestamp='1423488160' post='10916247']
1. I don't think it matters when you tag. The accuracy isn't 100% still.
[/quote]
I know it will never be down to a yard but when I used it last year I had a few '25 yards' off-readings per round. I am trying to avoid those!

[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1423492149' post='10916517']
[/quote]
I know it will never be down to a yard but when I used it last year I had a few '25 yards' off-readings per round. I am trying to avoid those!
[/quote]
Thinking back, my off-readings can't have been the problem of the GPS not catching up as I had cases where two shots (chip and a putt) where way off (apparently I was chipping away from the green ;-)

I just hope my new device behaves better ;-)

[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1423492490' post='10916553']
[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1423492149' post='10916517']
[/quote]
[/quote]
Thinking back, my off-readings can't have been the problem of the GPS not catching up as I had cases where two shots (chip and a putt) where way off (apparently I was chipping away from the green ;-)

I just hope my new device behaves better ;-)
[/quote]I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes my unit will register my tee shots on the opposite side of a cart path from the green. Sometimes I have to move the shots around the green a bit, but the post-round review doesn't take too long.

I usually play the same courses in my area so I remember my round really well.

Starting this summer, I'm going to walk a lot more (have to lose some weight) and I'm thinking that it might help with the accuracy too.

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

Thanks
[/quote]
[list=1]
[*]Totally true. With adherent background knowledge of GPS tagging process, the unit requires a subsequent amount of time to accurately pin your location. If you tag your club during your pre-shot routine and are above the ball for 2-3 seconds, you will notice a DRAMATIC improvement in the units accuracy. That's just technology folks. It isn't constantly monitoring your location, it's waiting for the "tag" signal from the club and then it attempts to triangulate your location.
[*]I have always been a belt wearer of the GAMEgolf and after about 8 months and 30 rounds; my belt clip broke. GG replaced the device in less than a week. It is just plastic after all. PS: all my "golf" belts are normal size, width, etc. So I wouldn't be concerned with that at all. As I prefer to wear mine more over the back side of my hip than in the front. Typically between the 2nd and 3rd belt loop from the right hand side. Stays out of the way.
[*]The tags are really durable, I've had mine through 2 sets of grips and also in and out of the clubs for cleaning etc. Had a few issues with a couple of the caps coming off, but there is an adhesive called "Shoe-Goo" that is safe for them and has worked 100%. But if you have a completely alternate set of clubs, I'd agree with the previous poster, might as well get them their own set of tags so just not to fuss with it.
[/list]
Enjoy the device!

I'm really still questioning how they are calculating/displaying the stats. These are my current #s outside 100 yards - dont judge, its winter lol.

But IMO there should be 3 vertical numbers - short, good and long - and three horizontal ones - left, good and right.

Otherwise, these numbers make absolutely no sense. So I've hit zero shots long, 41% good and 39% short. Where is the other 20%? Obviously they have mashed them into the other numbers but since its not made clear, it just looks lousy.

[attachment=2609797:stats.jpg]

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

IIRC its actual accumulation.

Seems like it would be more accurate, easier to read if they displayed the data something like this. Same data, just much easier to read IMO:

[attachment=2609845:stats2.jpg]

[quote name='techjunkee' timestamp='1423509255' post='10918575']
[/quote]
[list=1]
[*]Totally true. With adherent background knowledge of GPS tagging process, the unit requires a subsequent amount of time to accurately pin your location. If you tag your club during your pre-shot routine and are above the ball for 2-3 seconds, you will notice a DRAMATIC improvement in the units accuracy. That's just technology folks. It isn't constantly monitoring your location, it's waiting for the "tag" signal from the club and then it attempts to triangulate your location.
[/list]
Enjoy the device!
[/quote]

That makes absolute sense! I always assumed that it would monitor the GPS location like a GPS watch would do but of course for a tagging device this would be a waste of battery power. So it is not important to stand still BEFORE you tag but to stand still AFTER you've tagged.

Thanks for the very good tip.

[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1423519068' post='10919727']
The 41% is for shots within 15 feet, not for shots that have the correct length but are outside of the 15ft. So your missing 20% have The correct length but are outside of the 15 ft radius. At least that is my understand.
[/quote]

People should not need a math degree to understand this though. Lets be honest, for the most part the people using this are not WRX-level golf nerds. Someone should be able to look at this screen and have it make a reasonable amount of sense.

I'm still very happy with it and will be putting 4 more rounds on it this weekend but there are definitely some easy fixes here.

I just read through the original Indiegogo description of GameGolf and I've noticed the following:

[i][color=#2A2A2A]The GYG device is loaded with a combination of the latest sensor technology—GPS, NFC, compass, accelerometer, and a gyrometer—to capture all the important data in your game. Data is then uploaded via low power wireless or USB to the GAME platform.[/color][/i]

[color=#2A2A2A]I always thought that was the plan back then and that they removed the other elements like gyrometer and low power wireless for the actual product. [/color][color=#2A2A2A]Then recently they introduced the auto shot detection which suggests the device still has a gyrometer and accelerometer. So wouldn't it be likely that the device still has the low power wireless (bluetooth most likely) but it isn't enabled yet (probably due to the issue that it might be non-conforming if you upload during a round)?[/color]

Everyone who uses it should post their username on here so we can start following people etc. They are being pretty slow about giving us the ability to find people by state, course, ability level, etc but I don't see why we can't try to start it here. Just post a link to your profile from game's website or type in your username. I'm tired of only following Westwood and McDowell!

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
Adams MB2 GW
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]

Hey guys, anybody know if there's a way to clear club data? I sold my GG unit, but I miss it and am gonna buy back in since the season is just around the corner. Believe it or not, I have different clubs now than I did last time I owned a game golf unit, specifically hybrids and irons, and I'd like to wipe the slate clean and start from scratch in terms of distances.

Anybody done somethin like this before?

If not, its certainly not the end of the world. Just thought I'd ask.

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

[quote name='Duffner's Waggle' timestamp='1423889063' post='10950433']
Hey guys, anybody know if there's a way to clear club data? I sold my GG unit, but I miss it and am gonna buy back in since the season is just around the corner. Believe it or not, I have different clubs now than I did last time I owned a game golf unit, specifically hybrids and irons, and I'd like to wipe the slate clean and start from scratch in terms of distances.

[/quote]

Yup, right on the 'your golf bag' setup page:
[list]
[*]Deleting a club from your Golf Bag will permanently delete all associated statistical data for that club.
[/list]
[size=4]
WhiZ[/size]

[quote name='WhiZ' timestamp='1423894833' post='10950763']
[quote name='Duffner's Waggle' timestamp='1423889063' post='10950433']

[/quote]

Yup, right on the 'your golf bag' setup page:
[list]
[*]Deleting a club from your Golf Bag will permanently delete all associated statistical data for that club.
[/list]
[size=4]
WhiZ[/size]
[/quote]

Thanks found that out last night shortly after i posted appreciate the reply!

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

[quote name='Duffner's Waggle' timestamp='1423935051' post='10952439'] [quote name='WhiZ' timestamp='1423894833' post='10950763'] [quote name='Duffner's Waggle' timestamp='1423889063' post='10950433'] Hey guys, anybody know if there's a way to clear club data? I sold my GG unit, but I miss it and am gonna buy back in since the season is just around the corner. Believe it or not, I have different clubs now than I did last time I owned a game golf unit, specifically hybrids and irons, and I'd like to wipe the slate clean and start from scratch in terms of distances. Anybody done somethin like this before? If not, its certainly not the end of the world. Just thought I'd ask. [/quote] Yup, right on the 'your golf bag' setup page: [list] [*]Deleting a club from your Golf Bag will permanently delete all associated statistical data for that club. [/list] [size=4] WhiZ[/size] [/quote] Thanks found that out last night shortly after i posted appreciate the reply! [/quote]

Though now you don't have to delete it. Just make new "clubs" in your "bag" then move the virtual tags to the clubs you are actually using. That way you could have 5-6 3w and move the (virtual)3w tag to whichever one is actually in the bag while still retaining all the data for all of your fairway woods.

Only problem that i've found is that they don't have an easy way to compare clubs. You can only look at data on "active" clubs.

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

Played my first round with my new device (I returned my first gamegolf after 3 rounds back in June because I had lots of off-readings) and I must say I am quite happy. I didn't have to move any shots around. Not sure whether my old device was dodgy or whether the difference was that I tagged at the start of my pre-shot routine - staying at the same spot long enough to give the device a good lock. Anyway whatever it was it seems to be working now. Pleased!!!

Anyone interested in a GolfWRX Game Golf Challenge? Something over the next few months? We could do something like fewest putts or something where everyone has a decent chance.

Throw me some ideas and I will get it going.

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

Scrambling might work as well.

For a laugh, if anyone wants to check out my last round and see what serious gagging looks like coming down the stretch, take a peek. Maybe some good ole' fashioned ridicule will help me recover!

'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

[quote name='Dan Drake' timestamp='1424102139' post='10963385'] Anyone interested in a GolfWRX Game Golf Challenge? Something over the next few months? We could do something like fewest putts or something where everyone has a decent chance. Throw me some ideas and I will get it going. [/quote] [quote name='jbucher' timestamp='1424143943' post='10968537'] Dan sounds good on lowest putts maybe scrambling? Jimmy B [/quote] [quote name='Dan Drake' timestamp='1424198609' post='10971885'] Scrambling might work as well. For a laugh, if anyone wants to check out my last round and see what serious gagging looks like coming down the stretch, take a peek. Maybe some good ole' fashioned ridicule will help me recover! [/quote]

I would definitely join any challenges you guys make, I will be low man on the totem pole. You can look at your scores and be like, "well at least I'm better than him!"

I agree Dan that some ridicule might help light the fires and improve our scores.

ugh....I'm having trouble pulling the trigger on buying another one.

Someone talk me into it!

[quote name='Duffner's Waggle' timestamp='1424448331' post='10991571']
ugh....I'm having trouble pulling the trigger on buying another one.

Someone talk me into it!
[/quote]

Duff, you are going to want to have one when they release the firmware update to support a whole "strokes gained" side of the web portal. No more entering entire rounds into Excel.

(This is purely hopefull speculation on my part, btw)

'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG