Game Golf tracking system (merged)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1427244819' post='11209303']
Hey everyone, looks like GameGolf just did a big update with their Android App. Ton of new features:
New Features!

● Find, Play, and Track your round of golf at 33,000+ courses worldwide
● Live shot tracking and club distances in the app*
● Live shot editing in the app*
● Live scorecard*
● Rangefinder: Know exactly how far you are from the hole
● Lock screen mode: save power and have the most essential information at a quick glance

*GAME GOLF wearable device not supported

So essentially it looks like you can use their app without actually buying GameGolf.
[/quote]

So if the Game Golf wearable device is not supported what does that mean? I think it acts as a normal 'golf shot tracking' app where you have to enter everything yourself. So what's the point when you have GameGolf? I don't get it.

[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1427273738' post='11211297']
Hey everyone, looks like GameGolf just did a big update with their Android App. Ton of new features:
New Features!

● Live scorecard*
● Lock screen mode: save power and have the most essential information at a quick glance

So essentially it looks like you can use their app without actually buying GameGolf.
[/quote]

So if the Game Golf wearable device is not supported what does that mean? I think it acts as a normal 'golf shot tracking' app where you have to enter everything yourself. So what's the point when you have GameGolf? I don't get it.
[/quote]

I think it means the GG device will not automatically update the app - that still needs to be done via uploading the device via the USB cable to a computer that then sends data to the website that then works some magic that then updates your online details that then downloads to the app on your phone.

They've just replaced GolfShot on my phone, and for free :) Happy bunny time as I was getting very miffed with Golfshot.

[quote name='AndyP' timestamp='1427277715' post='11211395']
New Features!

● Live scorecard*

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think it means the GG device will not automatically update the app - that still needs to be done via uploading the device via the USB cable to a computer that then sends data to the website that then works some magic that then updates your online details that then downloads to the app on your phone.

They've just replaced GolfShot on my phone, and for free :) Happy bunny time as I was getting very miffed with Golfshot.
[/quote]

I think they are trying to open up a second revenue stream. I wouldn't be surprised if people who use just the app will have to pay for the stats tracking on the website (or they use the app to convince users to buy the gamegolf device).

In any case, I wonder how the business model where you sell one device and then have to provide a service without recurring fees is supposed to work in the long run. At some point they will have to come up with a subscription based model I think. They will reach a plateaux with their device sales and after that they either need subscription based income or a new hardware which is so much better that everyone buys the new version.

[quote name='ukgolfer' timestamp='1427279462' post='11211443']
Maybe they will sell a premium app which will read the nfc tags directly. That would remove the need for the Red Box and give them a revenue model.
[/quote]
Could be. They recently pulled the 'second set' tags they were selling. They were charging about £30 for a second set of tags. I guess if you are right they will start selling it for $99 or something.

New Features!

● Live scorecard*

[/quote]

[/quote]So you can see what your friends are doing as they play?

Speaking of which... do we have a list of User names going yet to track? Mine is: kpcasey (I don't have any rounds yet)

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

One of the things I like about Gamegolf is you get the benefit of technology without having to look at or interact with your phone while playing. The golf course is one of the last places where people aren't glued to their phones, now that's changing. I don't mind playing with people who use a hand held GPS device for distances, but I don't like playing with people who have their noses buried in their phones entering scores and stats. This new update and functionality are a step in the wrong direction.

[quote name='jimwgt26' timestamp='1427300373' post='11213159']
One of the things I like about Gamegolf is you get the benefit of technology without having to look at or interact with your phone while playing. The golf course is one of the last places where people aren't glued to their phones, now that's changing. I don't mind playing with people who use a hand held GPS device for distances, but I don't like playing with people who have their noses buried in their phones entering scores and stats. This new update and functionality are a step in the wrong direction.
[/quote]

I think that's more about options. I personally keep my score on my phone, but I rarely use it for anything else unless I'm at a new course needing a preview.

Remember, the first mass device release was tailored to remain within the Rules. I doubt strongly that they will abandon that principle as a primary option.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

Guys, quick question... and yes, I searched.

I have roughly 20 clubs that I use depending on course & conditions. I also have multiple driver shafts. Thus, I'm wondering if the additional tag set can be purchased and integrated into one user account. The "2nd Set" says that it's for another family member, but can I put these tags altogether? For example, if I'm commonly using 2 drivers with 4 shafts to choose from, I'd love love love to keep them separately accounted for in the stats. Is that realistic? And can I go over 18 tags within an account?

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

[quote name='matchavez' timestamp='1427303210' post='11213577']

I have roughly 20 clubs that I use depending on course & conditions. I also have multiple driver shafts. Thus, I'm wondering if the additional tag set can be purchased and integrated into one user account. The "2nd Set" says that it's for another family member, but can I put these tags altogether? For example, if I'm commonly using 2 drivers with 4 shafts to choose from, I'd love love love to keep them separately accounted for in the stats. Is that realistic? And can I go over 18 tags within an account?
[/quote]

Shoot an email to support. I couldn't believe how fast they responded to my questions.

[/quote]

You don't need more tags to achieve this - Go to "My Bag" and create a new club for each of your driver combinations - You will then see them listed in your bag - Before you play a round drag the Driver tag onto the driver combination you intend to play - Your driver stats will then start to build up on each of your driver combinations (very helpful to compare shafts & other setup tweaks) - Hope I explained that correctly?
Cheers ... Paul

TaylorMade P770 5-PW c/w Shimada Tour Lite Stiff 
Mizuno MP-T22 49* 54* 58* 
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 10.5* Driver c/w MRC Fujikura Ventus Velocore TR 60s
PXG 3 5 7 Woods 
PXG Closer Putter

[quote name='PaulBoy' timestamp='1427312131' post='11214699']

[/quote]

You don't need more tags to achieve this - Go to "My Bag" and create a new club for each of your driver combinations - You will then see them listed in your bag - Before you play a round drag the Driver tag onto the driver combination you intend to play - Your driver stats will then start to build up on each of your driver combinations (very helpful to compare shafts & other setup tweaks) - Hope I explained that correctly?
Cheers ... Paul
[/quote]

[/quote]

Cheers ... Paul
[/quote]

This is the way I know how to do it, but you would still have to move the actual driver tag from shaft to shaft so that you can tag shots during the round.

10.5* R15 430 - Elements Chrome 6F4T
RBZ Stage 2 3HL Tour - TSPX VTS Silver
RBZ Stage 2 Tour 3Hyb - TSPX VTS Silver
20* MP-H4 / 24* MP-H4 / 6-PW MP-59 - S300SL
50* 54* 58* MP-T11 - S300SL
Scotty Cameron JAT

[quote name='KAtkins' timestamp='1427317041' post='11215275']

[/quote]

Cheers ... Paul
[/quote]

[/quote]

Cheers ... Paul
[/quote]

This is the way I know how to do it, but you would still have to move the actual driver tag from shaft to shaft so that you can tag shots during the round.
[/quote]

So I can't have Driver A, Driver B, and Driver C with their own tags?

[quote]
[/quote]
Yes you can, but you have to use the spare tags to achieve that (diamond / star etc) - I find it easier to move the driver tag ... Paul

TaylorMade P770 5-PW c/w Shimada Tour Lite Stiff 
Mizuno MP-T22 49* 54* 58* 
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 10.5* Driver c/w MRC Fujikura Ventus Velocore TR 60s
PXG 3 5 7 Woods 
PXG Closer Putter

If you were to buy multiple driver tags you could do what you are saying. All your device knows is the D tag is used. Doesn't matter who's D tag. I could grab your set of clubs (with your tags on them) play a round with my unit and when I upload all stats will be associated with my online "golf bag".

So you would need to get a couple sets of D tags. Put them on your 3 drivers. Then just make sure to update your online "golf bag" prior to uploading your round.

Alternatively you could just say "eff it" and count on the shot detected feature and not worry about the tags at all. Especially with tee shots.

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

[quote name='matchavez' timestamp='1427318542' post='11215449']

[/quote]In each set of Game Golf, they give you 18 tags. They realize that not everyone would be using "just 14", so they give extras that can be assigned as you need. So you have 4 extra tags you can use. So if you have those three extra drivers, you can assign one of the 'spare' tags to them.

[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1427359018' post='11218581']
I think what is missing is a way to define a second bag and then just switch between them (activate one and de-activate the other one).
[/quote] More than one bag? That's crazy talk! Ain't nobody got no time for that?!

I actually agree, it's sort of limiting to a point, but all that is, is more programming and features. As a new company, would want to have the basics working (KISS) before adding 'more stuff' to the mix. Email them with the suggestion wouldn't hurt.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

I like the thinking. :) Gamer bag, trunk bag, travel bag, backup bag, and that bag I play once a year for shiggles.

Nah. You know, thinking about it, I'm really just hung up on one thing. That is that when I get my Apple Watch next month, wouldn't all of this hardware be immediately obsolete? Tap the watch app at each shot, and enter the club (maybe even by voice?) and I have no need for belt clips and club tags.

This all sort of reminds me when Garmins and Tom Toms were *the thing* c. 2006-2009. They quickly became relegated not because phone maps were better, but it was one-less-thing. For me, one less thing on the course might be nice. Now, the GameGolf platform seems like it would be a nice starting point, and maybe that's why they're going to the subscription model. This isn't sneaking up on anyone; they know it's coming.

That said, their customer service has been awesome even in just pre-sales. I wouldn't mind dropping $20/mo on this if that's the way it goes...

[quote name='matchavez' timestamp='1427380090' post='11219723']
Nah. You know, thinking about it, I'm really just hung up on one thing. That is that when I get my Apple Watch next month, wouldn't all of this hardware be immediately obsolete? Tap the watch app at each shot, and enter the club (maybe even by voice?) and I have no need for belt clips and club tags.

This all sort of reminds me when Garmins and Tom Toms were *the thing* c. 2006-2009. They quickly became relegated not because phone maps were better, but it was one-less-thing. For me, one less thing on the course might be nice. Now, the GameGolf platform seems like it would be a nice starting point, and maybe that's why they're going to the subscription model. This isn't sneaking up on anyone; they know it's coming.

That said, their customer service has been awesome even in just pre-sales. I wouldn't mind dropping $20/mo on this if that's the way it goes...
[/quote]

Well, my old uPro gps would allow me to track club distances without having to install tags, but it was a pain in the butt to have to enter each club before each shot, so I never used it. A simple tag is much easier.

Voice commands, sure that would work nicely.

I like the thinking. :) Gamer bag, trunk bag, travel bag, backup bag, and that bag I play once a year for shiggles.

[/quote]

I don't think that the apple watch will be a significant game changer. The reason I say that is that I have an android watch, with similar features, and the novelty wore off in a round or two. There isn't enough benefit from the golf app integration to justify the immense battery drain it adds to devices that are already struggling with power consumption. I ended up going back to just using my phone, with a much better battery life for keeping score and GPS.

Of course I also use my gg to record shots, phone is for scores and reconciliation if I forgot to tag and the detected swing function doesn't work.

[/quote]

[quote name='AndyP' timestamp='1427404537' post='11222773']
Anyone else notice the edit icon has dissappeared and the share icon? (as shown in this pic:https://gamegolf.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1922217-edit-or-unsign-a-signed-round )

Edit: Think it must be an browser issue as it works ok on my work computer in Chrome.
[/quote]
It could also be a bug in their system. I've seen it before that a button was missing and when I tried again later it was there again.

[quote name='Yeri978' timestamp='1427429165' post='11225409']

[/quote]

I don't think that the apple watch will be a significant game changer. The reason I say that is that I have an android watch, with similar features, and the novelty wore off in a round or two. There isn't enough benefit from the golf app integration to justify the immense battery drain it adds to devices that are already struggling with power consumption. I ended up going back to just using my phone, with a much better battery life for keeping score and GPS.

Of course I also use my gg to record shots, phone is for scores and reconciliation if I forgot to tag and the detected swing function doesn't work.
[/quote]

I have a friend that does exactly that. If the watch isn't all that, I'll go that route. Question will be answered in a month, I guess. :)

Logged in today to see that my GG stats now include a "GG Handicap," which is explicitly NOT a USGA handicap index. From their guide:

[quote]
The GAME GOLF Handicap is an estimate of the number of strokes you will achieve, over (or under) par, in an 18-hole round of golf. In other words, it is an estimate of your scoring ability on a golf course of a typical difficulty and yardage.

The GAME GOLF platform has accumulated hundreds of thousands of golf rounds uploaded by players from all over the world. GAME GOLF now has a baseline statistic of scratch players that can be used as a benchmark against your most recent rounds of golf that you choose to include in your stats.

The GAME GOLF Handicap is not the equivalent of USGA's Handicap Index. Our methodology does not use the USGA course and slope rating of a course. Hence the GAME GOLF Handicap will work for rounds played on golf courses worldwide.
[/quote]

So I decided that until I find a decent deal on a game golf unit I am using the phone app now that you can basically do the same thing just in ur phone. It's pretty neat but definitely takes longer than just buzzing the club. Also the accuracy seemed off compared to when I had the unit. Had me on tee grounds almost in the fairway or back at the tips. Some drives were 300 when from the tips to location of my actual ball and some were 45 when it marked my tee shot in the fairway haha. But nothing a little editing didn't solve. Glad they ce out with this though u til I can get a new unit.

Forever Changing at this point.......

Used the Game Golf App today on my iphone 6.

I still used my Game Golf device like normal.

The app took a few holes to figure out, I didn't realize I had to pick the club prior to hitting the shot, the mistake I made was teeing off with my 3W, then when I arrived for my 2nd shot I pushed 3W. So it made it look like my 2nd shot was with the 3W instead of the 5i. After the 3rd hole I figured it out. The only issue I can see with using both is, once I completed my round clicked "end round" on the app then got home and uploaded my round from my GAME GOLF device it then showed 2 rounds as "pending for review". The nice thing is they both seemed the exact same which is cool, I don't see why they shouldn't be (unless I forget to tag a shot or something) but I just reviewed the round from the actual GAME GOLF device and signed it, then deleted the one the GAME GOLF APP posted for me to review.

So I'd watch out for that, it will make you think you have a duplicate round if you use both the device and the app for the same round.

I like the APP it does everything Golf Shot or other distance apps do. It shows front/middle/back yardages, allows you to move the cursor around to get lay-up distances or other yardages.

It did seem give my phone battery a workout. I started the day with 100%, when I started my round this morning I was probably near 96% remaining, when I finished the round I was at 49%.

All in all, I'd use it again.

What's In The Bag 

Driver:  Cobra LTDx 9*  ||  FWs:  Cleveland 3 Hy-wood 18*

Hybrid:  Titleist TS2 23*  ||  Irons:  Srixon Z565 6-PW

Wedges*:  Cleveland 588 RTX CB 50*/10* & 58*/12* Black Pearl  ||  PutterΨPing Anser 

Ball: Pro V1x, Srixon Q-star tour, & Kirkland    ||  Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite white/royal