2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

One Day Vintage Steel Tournament

Hello, Everyone--

Well, apparently Scooter McTavish and I have been thinking along similar lines in Revelations & Resolutions, about a one day tournament (or get-together) that "could be a ton of fun."

We could meet each other, golf, bring newbies to play/introduce, swap stories, admire wonderful equipment, have some laughs and A Grand Day Out. :)

It's the depths of January, it's dark, it's cold--let's get creative and make some fun summer plans!

Well, Gentlemen--what say you???

Kathy Marie

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am all for it where are you guys located? I know some of us WRX ers from the SC area are trying to get together this summer maybe here in the Grand Strand area and play one. If it is not too far I would love to do it

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

NYC metro area here, all in with anyone who wants to. Played once with tembolo1284 (who can really hit it, BTW) and would love to widen the scope.

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

[quote name='HoldenCornfield' timestamp='1390571757' post='8522745']
I'd love to find just[i] one[/i] person willing to play the lumber and blades with. A whole tournament of folks would be cool.
[/quote]I have not heard the term "lumber" in ages thanks. Down south we used to say "luuumbarrr"

[quote name='Kathy Marie' timestamp='1390886160' post='8548799']
I'm in the upper Midwest. We do seem to be separated by quite a bit, maybe more local get-togethers could be easier to arrange?

Or we could try for regional get-togethers. Have there been any held before?

KM
[/quote]Kathy I do not honestly know because I am new on this board. Some of us on another forum were trying to organize one but nothing ever came of it. I would be willing to do my part though

Based on the current sub zero temperatures and the amount of snow on the ground right now along with more forecast through April, maybe the snow will be melted and the ground thawed in time for a midwest golf outing around late July or early August...global warming my arse!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

I live in the frozen tundra. Not a lot of folks I've met are interested, either. Some of my regular golf amigos don't get the retro thing at all.

They don't understand what it's like to pure a blade 4 iron into a 15-20 mph wind. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

• 2 weeks later...

Ok ladies and gentleman you got the bug planted in my head and I need some help. I ran into an older gentleman today when I was practicing at the range. He was playing at our local executive course he was playing a set of Armours blades that I could not figure out. they were pristine and had a new finish on them but had newer looking TT R 300 shafts and they were pinned. It really threw me off he said he bought them up North. He also had an original Armour putter that had the patina look and it had an interesting story. He did not hit woods. I talked with him about 15 mins of so and told him about this thread on Golf WRX and that I also played vintage from time to time. I told him that I was going to oraganise a tournament this spring or summer.
All of this being said I need some opinions and feedback from you folks. I have some of my opinions so here goes feel free to comment or criticize all opinions are welcome so he goes mine
What should be equipment rules in other words what is the cutoff date for being too new?
should we play for fun or have prizes? I know around here it will be hard to get donations because there is some kind of scramble every weekend and business people are donated out.
I thought about having a vintage show displaying some of our clubs. I know if some of you travel at a distance and with the size of cars generally it will be hard for some of you to pack extra clubs. Note if some of you want to travel and don't have clubs I have plenty that you are welcome to use as long as you like MacGregor or Wilson:)
I don't know what kind of competition format to do or just play for the heck of it?
I really don't want to burden us with rules or handicaps I want this to be fun for all
I have a local executive course that may be on board with this. I actually used to work there and I am still friends with the Marketing director and owner but I need lots of ideas to present
I am in no way shape or form proposing this for personal profit I am doing it for the fun and hoping to meet and talk with other vintage golfers and look at vintage clubs
I am slowly getting some interest locally from some other folks that play vintage and I am playing vintage Friday at this executive course with this gentleman I met today. In fact he invited me to join him today and I would have went home (I live a mile away) and got my vintage set but I had prior obligations at church.
If I can get enough interest in this the executive course owners also own motels and restaurants and I may be able to get some packages at good rates. if that don't happen with them I have friends in the golf package business I can go through
Ok thanks let me know Stu

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1392002293' post='8633753']
Ok ladies and gentleman you got the bug planted in my head and I need some help. <snip> I talked with him about 15 mins of so and told him about this thread on Golf WRX and that I also played vintage from time to time. I told him that I was going to oraganise a tournament this spring or summer.
All of this being said I need some opinions and feedback from you folks. I have some of my opinions so here goes feel free to comment or criticize all opinions are welcome so he goes mine
What should be equipment rules in other words what is the cutoff date for being too new?
should we play for fun or have prizes? I know around here it will be hard to get donations because there is some kind of scramble every weekend and business people are donated out.
I thought about having a vintage show displaying some of our clubs. I know if some of you travel at a distance and with the size of cars generally it will be hard for some of you to pack extra clubs. Note if some of you want to travel and don't have clubs I have plenty that you are welcome to use as long as you like MacGregor or Wilson:)
I don't know what kind of competition format to do or just play for the heck of it?
I really don't want to burden us with rules or handicaps I want this to be fun for all
I have a local executive course that may be on board with this. I actually used to work there and I am still friends with the Marketing director and owner but I need lots of ideas to present
I am in no way shape or form proposing this for personal profit I am doing it for the fun and hoping to meet and talk with other vintage golfers and look at vintage clubs
I am slowly getting some interest locally from some other folks that play vintage and I am playing vintage Friday at this executive course with this gentleman I met today. In fact he invited me to join him today and I would have went home (I live a mile away) and got my vintage set but I had prior obligations at church.
If I can get enough interest in this the executive course owners also own motels and restaurants and I may be able to get some packages at good rates. if that don't happen with them I have friends in the golf package business I can go through
Ok thanks let me know Stu
[/quote]

Hi Big Stu,

My apologies for the delay in replying, been sick, actually still sick but I've made the turn. But wanted to give you something to bounce off of re my experience organizing the "sports widow" minigolf outings.

I agree, place the emphasis on [color=#cc3300][b][size=5]FUN FOR ALL.[/size][/b][/color] I'd play for the heck of it, IMHO less rules & more relaxation is better, scoring is optional at the minigolf outings. About the dates for vintage equipment, I'm not sure--I think if you tell people to bring vintage, most would come with suitable stuff and think early metal woods could qualify, too. The ones the same size as wood woods--what is that, 80's? The first bowl widow's outing I brought putters for people to use, let them pick what attracted and then we swapped a lot. I think that added to the fun and can be done pretty easily, ex: "You've never hit a wood wood? Here, try this!"

Uhm, kindof like a vintage wine tasting--a vintage equipment tasting? (sorry don't know the proper term) *Gives permission* to take the focus off your score, relax, have some fun & try something different. It gives a common topic of conversation & lets people's stories come out. Did they bring their grandfather's set? Hey! These are the same irons my uncle played at the big family reunion when I was a kid! You know, if you want to game your dad's set, I know who could help you with refinishing those woods...

Other ideas: how about a "My Dad's Clubs" get together where you game your dad's clubs and (hopefully) HE games HIS dad's clubs? Then switch halfway through! :-) Or a "My Kid's Vintage" theme, where you use a set from their date of birth. Or a time period theme, like the hickory people do--or how about a Vintage Steel Halloween? Say, kids & parents in costume at the Par 3 course with coupons for treats at every hole?

You know, hickory golf was started by ONE guy in Nebraska, I think it was. And what I find attractive about hickory golf, well basically it's the people. There's a real camaraderie, people are eager to help--and that's what I find so wonderful [b]here[/b]!!! I don't see why we can't have something similar. OK, we'll start small--but I think the important thing is to [b]start.[/b]

Now, I admit I am coming at this from a woman's perspective & I am also a beginning golfer. I got quite an education when I took my new-to-moi hickories to my regular muni practice range. I thought the gentlemen were going to keel over! My goodness, such excitement: WHAT are you DOING?!? Those are OLD!!! They are OLD TECHNOLOGY, you can't play well with those, *I* use the LATEST TECHNOLOGY etc. etc. etc.

So maybe there will not be the appeal with vintage gear, "the latest technology" is a very strong idea/mindset/zeitgeist to contend with. Plus, it's reinforced by millions of dollars worth of marketing by the golf club companies.

But.

After the Super Bowl Widow minigolf outing, we had snacks & treats and gabbed for quite a while. And guess what? People brought up getting together for Valentines Day, they want to do it!! Now, these women are not golfers--well, SWMNBN has stepped up--but they've been Having Fun. So I think Having Fun is what's important.

OK, so I am scared to post this now because I have maybe half a brain tops but I'm going to hitt the Add Reply key, take my medicine & go to bed,

KM

Kathy sorry to hear you have been under the weather. I have been lucky so far but have had people at work out sick. I had a guy call me yesterday about this tournament wanting to know if he could play a set of Karsten 1 irons I told him no problem when and if we done it. I would like to keep it persimmon on woods but you did bring up a valid point with the older smaller steel head woods and I don't really see any problem because probably in some folks eyes my beloved Penna driver has a graphite shaft from the factory aint kosher. As I said it would be for fun and I don't want to burden us with "rules" I want to play and not be Mr Rules Police. I don't frankly care if someone used a foot wedge or grounded the club in a hazard. I am kinda gunshy on the rules department because here in all the golf leagues these old cats are always disagreeing or accusing each other of cheating and the same thing goes on in scrambles. I don't play in any of them for those reasons amongst other things. I would like to get together and just play and look at equipment and eat and shoot the breeze.
By the way I like your idea about the vintage club testing even though I don't like to hit other peoples clubs but don't mind them hitting mine. Take care of your self and keep the ideas flowing.
I am supposed to have a meeting with the marketing director and course manager this Thursday or Friday depending on the weather here and presenting my ideas and making this a probability

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1392037940' post='8635423']
Count me in Stu, as long as I am in country I will be good to go. Should arrive back in Chuckville later in the week with a nice little set of Apex ii waiting for me. Haven't seen them yet but one of my sons said he picked them up for a song for me.
I think the classic gig would be great.
[/quote]Ok we are definetly going to do it if there aint no one but you , Kathy myself and some other guys that have shown interest around here

I'm in wherever with whatever vintage clubs are decided upon. As usual, due to my backwards weekend working musician schedule, my only issue may be the "when".

MODERN:
--------
--------
HICKORY:
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

[quote name='guisician' timestamp='1392263913' post='8657291']
I'm in wherever with whatever vintage clubs are decided upon. As usual, due to my backwards weekend working musician schedule, my only issue may be the "when".
[/quote]Ok I can surely understand the backwards weekends of a musician. I used to pick up some weekend work running the sound board or mixer board for different bands. Back in those days I really needed the extra money. Now I just run one at church for free of course. But I enjoy doing it. We will figure out something

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1392272828' post='8657915']
We will figure out something
[/quote]

Thanks, Big Stu. I'm not complaining, mind you; working every weekend on the bandstand and running the music library for my office 4 days a week starting at noon gives me lots of golf time.

Maybe we'll end up down your way. I've only done one-nighters in Charlotte NC and Charleston SC, so some actual leisure time would suit me fine. I did have time to sample some of your barbecue, so believe me, the itch to really visit is that much stronger!

MODERN:
--------
--------
HICKORY:
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

[quote name='guisician' timestamp='1392309555' post='8659773']
[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1392272828' post='8657915']
We will figure out something
[/quote]

Thanks, Big Stu. I'm not complaining, mind you; working every weekend on the bandstand and running the music library for my office 4 days a week starting at noon gives me lots of golf time.

Maybe we'll end up down your way. I've only done one-nighters in Charlotte NC and Charleston SC, so some actual leisure time would suit me fine. I did have time to sample some of your barbecue, so believe me, the itch to really visit is that much stronger!
[/quote]BBQ is another subjective thing in the Carolinas. In NC you have 3 different types along with the slaw depending on the region. In SC it is about the same. NC you have the vinegar based of eastern NC which is what I prefer even though I was raised in Charlotte. In the piedmont (Lexington area) you have what is best described as less vinegar and more tomato based sauce. In the mountains they smoke it and season it up. All are good. In SC in the upstate they make what is called BBQ hash which is shreaded pork made into a stew like beef stew. In the midlands (Columbia) they have the mustard based sauce and also Charleston seems to prefer that way. On the coast above Georgetown we tend to go Eastern NC style from what I have seen. We do have the BBQ house in Surfside Beach and Myrtle Beach and he cooks his meat neutral so to speak but has bottles of all the different sauces on the table for you to choose. Anyhow you see you have brought up a subject dear to my heart when you come down to play maybe we will eat there

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1392345571' post='8664329']
Stu,
What time of the year are you suggesting for this event? And a side question, how is the weather along the coast now? I have been hunkered down with the choppers unable to extract me for the last few days and still not home.
[/quote]I am thinking early June because in April we still have the last of the "snowbird" season and in May we have the bike weeks and it will be hard to find accomendations plus the traffic. The first part of June has seemed to be the lag weeks before summer vacation. this is one of the reasons I want to touch base with the marketing director. Also September is fairly warm and we also have a 3 week lag after Labor day with the kids going back to school and the fall bike rally.
As far as weather the last 2 weeks it has been horrible.2 weeks ago we had ice and snow on the ground and this week we had ice on the ground and from what I heard last week Charlestown area got it worse than we did. Yesterday it was cold and windy and this AM it is about 25* on my porch. yep I have had the old wood stove fired up the last 2 weeks. I do know we had a lot of trees and limbs down and some folks in the Northern part of Horry county have not had power in 3 days now

Hey Guys, Stu & Kathy(I hope that you're feeling better :))-

I'm a little late to the party though I love the vintage clubs and play in a one day tourney every fall(due to illness, I didn't play in '13).

The rules regarding club manufacturing date is 1981, due to that being the release date of the Staff Fg17's, however I more often than not play a set of '73 Dynapowers, which I rotate with the 17's.

We play the blue tees at the distance that they were in 1981, and we usually have 30-36 guys and 3-4 women(They play red/white, their choice), from about 5-6 clubs in town.

The men play scratch though the Ladies play with hdcp cept for one Pro, so there's low gross and a low net for the Ladies.

I presently cannot travel though I'm headin Stu's way when I'm able, and I'd be all in if you came together on something-

Fairways & Greens My Friends

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

RP for the life of me I cannot remember what the average yardages of blue tees were in or around 81. I can remember the longest course here at the beach or anywhere else was a course called Robbers Roost. from the Long John Silver (black) tees it was over 7100 yards and that at sea level with persimmon woods balata balls and blade irons. It was loooong. I am thinking it was about 6500 from the blues. that was my favorite course ever it has been gone for 10 year or so now. But get better and come on down if you fly down and bring your Muzinos we can play regular golf and if you don't want want to pay the extra airlines fees for baggage I have a set of 79 Staff Tour Blades (not 17s though) and a bunch of JP and FG 17 wedges and of course plenty of Power Bilt and Penna persimmons you can use. trust me I have plenty if you want to play vintage a couple of days