Odyssey Tank Cruiser: Official Member Testing and Review Thread

HipCheck ·  
HipCheckHipCheck Twitter @robmillertimeThe Right CoastMembers  6306WRX Points: 160Posts: 6,306 Titanium Tees
Editor Review, now it's our memberships turn.

Let's keep this thread open until members start posting.

Thanks!
Posted:
Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

Comments

• John O. M.John O. M. Members  356WRX Points: 57Posts: 356 Greens
    First thing I want to say is thank you to GolfWRX for the opportunity to participate in this member testing and review process as well as a thank you to Odyssey for supplying the new Tank Cruiser 330 putter.

The putter arrived today and like anyone else would do, I immediately had to unbox the putter and begin tinkering. I am currently gaming a Taylormade ghost spider and have had some issues in the last few rounds with inconsistency, especially randomly topping putts. The first thing I did when I unboxed the 330 tank was replaced all the weights with the heaviest options, which are 2x20g weights for the putter head (385g total) and the 30g counter-weight inside the putter grip (which is AWESOME). My goal at this point was to increase the weight of the putter to be more like a weighted putting swing trainer.

Without ever owning or putting with the original tank model, I can see how these get the "tank" name, even though this is the lighter "cruiser" model. This putter is heavy but in a good way. I couldn't wait to start putting with it so I went out into my sun room to roll a few on my short practice putting surface. With the heaviest weight options I feel like I'm not getting all the extra feel that some people look for in their putter but what I am seeing is a very firm and consistent roll, which is completely welcome at this point in my putting stroke.

I have rolled dozens of short putts and so far I do really like it. The extra weight seems to make it more difficult to pick up and look for the finish before my stroke is complete but I won't begin my full review of the putter until I am able to bring it to a course to give it an honest attempt at real putts.

So, there will be more to follow!

Also, just to note, the putter arrived as 34" not the typical 35" or 38" options. Odd but not an issue since my current putter is also 34"
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • joey2acesjoey2aces not as smart as most but not as gullible either Members  5893WRX Points: 137Handicap: 6.8Posts: 5,893 Titanium Tees
    **** beast!!! I am still waiting on mine..... Got the same one as you.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
    2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
    M2 4h AD DI 8s
    Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
    718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
    Scratch 53 Modus 125
    Scratch 57 Modus 125
    PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

WITB Link
    Good taste! Did you choose the 35 or 38?
    Posted:
  • joey2acesjoey2aces not as smart as most but not as gullible either Members  5893WRX Points: 137Handicap: 6.8Posts: 5,893 Titanium Tees
    38". I have a 34" Protype now and not only did I want a little more shaft I wanted the extra weight that came with it. Just gotta make sure I don't get my big ole belly back... it may be considered an anchor! image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
    2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
    M2 4h AD DI 8s
    Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
    718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
    Scratch 53 Modus 125
    Scratch 57 Modus 125
    PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

WITB Link
    Let me know what size ends up at your door. I regret not going with the 38" but was also surprised to see that a 34" was delivered. I too would like the extra weight. Just wait until you feel it, it really is a tank! But I love it so far.
    Posted:
  • rlbennet28rlbennet28 Members  206WRX Points: 48Posts: 206 Fairways
    Excited to start testing! I was selected as well and am getting a 38" V-Line.. Can't wait for it to show up and put it in play to see how it matches up against my current gamer.
    Posted:
    PING G30 9* w/Tour 65x
    TM RBZ Tour 3 12* w/ Fubuki K 80x
    Adams Super 9031 19* w/ White Tie 8x
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW w/ C-Taper S
    Scratch 1018 51* -Vokey TVD 55*/60*
    Bettinardi BB-27 35"

Advertisement
  • kcarilekcarile Members  185WRX Points: 47Handicap: 3.6Posts: 185 Fairways
    Took mine out to the course about 2 hours ago after my morning round.. Got poured on. Testing and comparison to my scotty golo will wait till tomorrow.
    Posted:
  • Rapture25Rapture25 ClubWRX  859WRX Points: 92Posts: 859 ClubWRX
    OP, great choice on the 330M. I have one coming from discount dans myself. Question, is the headcover velcro or magnetic closure?
    Posted:
    Ping G410 LST 9* w/ Aldila Synergy Graphene Proto 70TX
    TS2 13.5* w/ Motore Speeder 8.2x TS
    816 19* w/ Accura TZ6 Proto 85 M5
    0311T w/ Nippon Modus 3 120X
    SM8 50F, 54S and 58S w/ Nippon Modus 3 125X
    Spider Tour Black
    ProV1x
    Magnetic
    Posted:
    Got home from work and mine was sitting on my porch. It looks great. I plan to get out tomorrow or Friday to start some testing. For now, here's a couple photos. Sorry about the orientation. The next batch posted will be from a computer and not phone! Pumped about this. Thanks GolfWRX and Odyssey for the opportunity!
    Posted:
    PING G30 9* w/Tour 65x
    Bettinardi BB-27 35"
  • BewareTheGlowballBewareTheGlowball Members  597WRX Points: 75Posts: 597 Golden Tee
    First off, thank you GolfWRX for the chance to review the Odyssey Tank Cruiser!

I currently game a Ping Nome adjustable putter. I cut a half inch off of it so it would retract to 37" and have been using it as a counterbalanced putter for about a year now. I tinkered with a belly putter after I found out they were going to be banned, simply to see what the fuss was all about (and because suddenly they could be acquired very economically!). I putted so well with the belly that it made me look to counterbalancing.

Needless to say I was very excited to hear that Odyssey was coming out with an easily adjustable weight system for counterbalancing.

I did not have a tracking number or anything so I was going to be surprised whenever it was going to show up. I played yesterday morning on my day off and got home early at 10 am and was relaxing when it showed up. So I did what any good GolfWRX follower would do... I went back out to the course to tinker on the putting green and play again!

The first thing that I noticed was the OEM SuperStroke grip. I think it is fantastic that an OEM has the SS on from the factory. I understand some folks are unhappy about that but I happen to like the SS grip. (not the huge ones, the smaller two models just feel natural to me). I do think that it would have been better served if it was one of the newer models with grey and red that would not get dirty so fast. Especially considering right now as I understand it there is not a replacement grip available yet with the counterbalance port.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • kcarilekcarile Members  185WRX Points: 47Handicap: 3.6Posts: 185 Fairways
    Just got back from the course and a little half hour practice putting session. I can honestly say I'm on the fence of replacing my scotty golo with the tank. Here's some info:

Feel: Much firmer than Odysseys previous inserts. The ball dosent jump off but it's not as soft as the Scotty. I was quite pleased with the feel actually and can see how people love the inserts.

Looks: The #7 was something I wanted to try out because it's just so crazy looking and out there. It didn't really bother me at all and the finish on the tanks is beautiful. No glare and easy to look at.

Distance Control: Now this is where I struggled.. Inside 15 feet this putter was deadly for me. I could see my line and hit it no problem. Speed was great inside 15 feet and I was holing a lot of putts. But once I got outside of that range the feel got a little less and I felt like I was trying to help the ball get to the hole or guide it there because the putter was so heavy.

I will be back to test some more tomorrow or the next day. Maybe I need to practice more to get the distance control down. Lemme know if anyone has any questions!
    Posted:
  • Callaway Golf OfficialCallaway Golf Official Sponsors  401WRX Points: 0Posts: 401
    John O. M. wrote:

First thing I want to say is thank you to GolfWRX for the opportunity to participate in this member testing and review process as well as a thank you to Odyssey for supplying the new Tank Cruiser 330 putter.

The putter arrived today and like anyone else would do, I immediately had to unbox the putter and begin tinkering. I am currently gaming a Taylormade ghost spider and have had some issues in the last few rounds with inconsistency, especially randomly topping putts. The first thing I did when I unboxed the 330 tank was replaced all the weights with the heaviest options, which are 2x20g weights for the putter head (385g total) and the 30g counter-weight inside the putter grip (which is AWESOME). My goal at this point was to increase the weight of the putter to be more like a weighted putting swing trainer.

Without ever owning or putting with the original tank model, I can see how these get the "tank" name, even though this is the lighter "cruiser" model. This putter is heavy but in a good way. I couldn't wait to start putting with it so I went out into my sun room to roll a few on my short practice putting surface. With the heaviest weight options I feel like I'm not getting all the extra feel that some people look for in their putter but what I am seeing is a very firm and consistent roll, which is completely welcome at this point in my putting stroke.

I have rolled dozens of short putts and so far I do really like it. The extra weight seems to make it more difficult to pick up and look for the finish before my stroke is complete but I won't begin my full review of the putter until I am able to bring it to a course to give it an honest attempt at real putts.

Also, just to note, the putter arrived as 34" not the typical 35" or 38" options. Odd but not an issue since my current putter is also 34"

Hey John,

Great to hear the initial feedback - look forward to hearing what you think after you get a chance to take it out to the course. Just wanted to chime in and say that I received your order as a 34" 330M. Must have been a mix up or typo somewhere along the way. Just wanted you to know the reason it showed up at 34"!

-Chad
    Posted:
  • PuppetmasterPuppetmaster Members  15055WRX Points: 460Posts: 15,055 Titanium Tees
    Well I just got an email from my neighbor that a package arrived for me back home in VA, while I'm standing in a Disney World line. So currently mine is in my neighbor's hands for safe keeping, and I'll only be able to post an update next week.

Huge thanks to GolfWRX and Callaway for the review opportunity. I can't wait to get back now. My apologies for the delay in posting.
    Posted:
    WITB Link

Cobra King Ltd 8.5*, Speeder TS 6.2
    Callaway Steelhead 4+, Diamana Kai'li
    Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump
    Cobra Fly Z+, KBS Tour 
    Vokey 254.10, V-Grind 60*
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330M
    I AM STILL WAITING FOR MINE!!!! lol

I feel like the kid at christmas who has to wait his turn to open a gift,...... image/cray.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cry:' />

but I turn 40 on Saturday so THANKS to Callaway/Odyssey and WRX!!! Great bday gift
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
    2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
    M2 4h AD DI 8s
    Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
    718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
    Scratch 53 Modus 125
    Scratch 57 Modus 125
    PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

WITB Link
    joey2aces wrote:
    I AM STILL WAITING FOR MINE!!!! lol

I feel like the kid at christmas who has to wait his turn to open a gift,...... image/cray.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cry:' />

but I turn 40 on Saturday so THANKS to Callaway/Odyssey and WRX!!! Great bday gift

Happy birthday! I was the same exact way waiting for mine. When I didn't get any tracking info I was on edge for a few days eager to receive it and then I sort of "gave up" and then it arrived at my door and all of that excitement came flooding back.

I was able to take it to the putting green yesterday for quite a while and I'll post an update later when I have time.

Chad, thanks for the response! It's great to see that a company rep actually participates in the forums and engages it's members.
    Posted:

Advertisement
    BOOM!!

I go to get some coffee and drown myself in pity I hear the UPS guy.... Sorry Joe, I forgot to drop this off earlier.... WHHAAAAAT????

Already in love and I have not even taken it out of the plastic. Love the feel and the weight and I cannot wait to put the 20g in there. slick looking and the 38" in perfect.

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
    2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
    M2 4h AD DI 8s
    Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
    718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
    Scratch 53 Modus 125
    Scratch 57 Modus 125
    PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

WITB Link
    I have my own and I'm jealous of yours already! lol
    Posted:
  • jwojwo ClubWRX  1718WRX Points: 121Posts: 1,718 ClubWRX

John O. M. wrote:

Hey John,

Great to hear the initial feedback - look forward to hearing what you think after you get a chance to take it out to the course. Just wanted to chime in and say that I received your order as a 34" 330M. Must have been a mix up or typo somewhere along the way. Just wanted you to know the reason it showed up at 34"!

-Chad

Hey Chad great to see you jump in the thread. I am badly wanting a V-Line cruiser but can it be ordered at 36"? Doesn't show that as an option on Cally's site. Thanks and to all that got the V-Line I'll be paying close attention to your reviews so get posting!!
    Posted:
    PING G400 Max 10.5 Ping Tour 75 r
    PING G410 3 wood Ping Tour 75 r
    Callaway X2hot Pro 20* Aldila Tour green
    PING i210 4-pw DG120 s300
    PING Glide 2.0 50* KBS Tour
    PING Glide 2.0 56* KBS Tour
    Callaway MD PM grind 60
    Scotty Phantom X 5.5
    Titleist Prov1
    Alright guys, I'll be going out in the morning to roll the V-Line around and possibly put it in the bag for a charity scramble I'll be playing in. Should have a good idea of how it rolls and will report as soon as I get a chance.
    Posted:
    PING G30 9* w/Tour 65x
    Bettinardi BB-27 35"
  • Rapture25Rapture25 ClubWRX  859WRX Points: 92Posts: 859 ClubWRX
    joey2aces- I've been quietly nodding my head with a majority of your postings for sometime, but knowing you are a 330 fan totally confirms my admiration. Hope you enjoy the flat stick! (Happy birthday as well)
    Posted:
    Ping G410 LST 9* w/ Aldila Synergy Graphene Proto 70TX
    TS2 13.5* w/ Motore Speeder 8.2x TS
    816 19* w/ Accura TZ6 Proto 85 M5
    0311T w/ Nippon Modus 3 120X
    SM8 50F, 54S and 58S w/ Nippon Modus 3 125X
    Spider Tour Black
    ProV1x

Advertisement
    Rapture25 wrote:

joey2aces- I've been quietly nodding my head with a majority of your postings for sometime, but knowing you are a 330 fan totally confirms my admiration. Hope you enjoy the flat stick! (Happy birthday as well)

Thanks for the kind words and bday wishes!!

I'm pretty excited about the opportunity.

Hopefully I can continue to offer some good and worthwhile posts.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
    2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
    M2 4h AD DI 8s
    Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
    718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
    Scratch 53 Modus 125
    Scratch 57 Modus 125
    PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

WITB Link
  • PaulFitzPaulFitz Members  672WRX Points: 0Posts: 672
    Just got mine yesterday! Gonna put some time in with it tomorrow and this weekend. Thanks again to Odyssey and GolfWRX for the opportunity.
    Posted:
  • Callaway Golf OfficialCallaway Golf Official Sponsors  401WRX Points: 0Posts: 401
    jwo wrote:

John O. M. wrote:

Hey John,

-Chad

Hey Chad great to see you jump in the thread. I am badly wanting a V-Line cruiser but can it be ordered at 36"? Doesn't show that as an option on Cally's site. Thanks and to all that got the V-Line I'll be paying close attention to your reviews so get posting!!

Hey man,

Just checked with Koske and team and custom lengths are available from 33" to 39". Our web team is double checking that it's reflected on our website as we speak. Check back in a bit!

-Chad
    Posted:
  • BewareTheGlowballBewareTheGlowball Members  597WRX Points: 75Posts: 597 Golden Tee
    I spent a good long session on the putting green last night and then played 18 this morning before work. I love the feel and the easy ability to line up putts. I am stilling having a tough time being able to hit the putts hard enough. Could still be the change from a 400+ weight head to sub 400 weight. I was looking for 30 gram sole weights after leaving my 4th putt in a row 3 inches short! I think I am getting it sorted out now, just have to convince myself the hole is an extra foot away for now.
    Posted:
  • J_TizzleJ_Tizzle Hello Members  3532WRX Points: 206Posts: 3,532 Titanium Tees
    Any word on the insert? Is it a WHP insert or some hybrid of other inserts?

The website just says White Hot insert, so I wasn't sure if it was different (or possibly the Versa insert)? Interested in maybe giving one of these a try but the WHP insert was just too soft for me unless I was playing the fastest of greens.
    Posted:
    G410 10.5* LST - just whatever at this point - F6 18* - G410 23* - i500 5-U - Glide Stealth 56* ( at 55*) and 60* - BG F22

https://Instagram/avgjoesgolf/

Advertisement
  • Odyssey_KoskeOdyssey_Koske Global Director, Odyssey Golf Sponsors  277WRX Points: 1Posts: 277 Greens
    J-Tizzle wrote:

Any word on the insert? Is it a WHP insert or some hybrid of other inserts?

The website just says White Hot insert, so I wasn't sure if it was different (or possibly the Versa insert)? Interested in maybe giving one of these a try but the WHP insert was just too soft for me unless I was playing the fastest of greens.

J-Tizzle,

The White Hot Pro, Versa, Tank, and Tank Cruiser inserts are all the same. They'll feel slightly different from head to head because of pocket depth, grip type, shaft length, etc. as those all can effect sound.
    Posted:
    Played in a scramble this morning and put the tank cruiser in the bag to roll a few on the putting green and also on the course.

The putter insert, weight, and head shape are all very nice. The insert feels much firmer to me than expected, yet I had trouble getting the ball to the hole with it putting what I felt like was my normal stroke. The putter is very easy to line up and I feel like once I get a few rounds under my belt with it, I could be pretty consistant once I get the speed down. I did notice that the ball seems to immediately start rolling once I put a stroke on it.

With that said, I will update again in a few days after a couple more practice sessions and rounds.
    Posted:
    PING G30 9* w/Tour 65x
    Bettinardi BB-27 35"
    I tired to get on the practice green before my league but couldn't because if work.

So I leave my gamer in the car and bring this beast with me.

First putt is 22' and i drain it. You think I'm in love?? 9 holes 14 putts. Not one pull. This thing goes where you aim. No if's and's or but's.

20's in the bottom 30 in the lid. Bring it. Confidence personified.

I will post more later because it's tough to type right now with just one hand. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Can't wait for tomorrow. Full 18 plus practice. Pics to follow. Maybe some video if it doesn't hold up the course.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
    2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
    M2 4h AD DI 8s
    Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
    718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
    Scratch 53 Modus 125
    Scratch 57 Modus 125
    PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

WITB Link

Advertisement
  • Matty FattsMatty Fatts Members  258WRX Points: 51Posts: 258 Greens
    I see some of you automatically threw the heaviest weights in before rolling any rocks. Why exactly would you jump right in and go the heaviest combination of weight and not even try it how it comes stock?

I would think a little lighter on the head weight and heavier on the counter weight could result in better control on longer putts?....

I rolled some of these at a local golf shop and was very impressed. Only gripe is the stock lengths, I'm 5'7" and would need a 33 or 34" I'm just as round as I am tall and the six pack tends to hang in the way if it's any longer than 34".

Ha. and by six pack i mean my svelte beer belly.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.