Odyssey Tank Cruiser: Official Member Testing and Review Thread

[quote name='coreyl' timestamp='1402596171' post='9481491']
[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1402595983' post='9481471']
[quote name='coreyl' timestamp='1402595041' post='9481363']
Place holder

I was selected as well, but currently down at Disney, and it may be sitting on my front porch...gonna have the neighbor check :P

thx again Odyssey for the opportunity.
[/quote]

That is too funny - that was me a little over a week ago, just got back from Orlando Tuesday night and immediately picked up the putter from my next door neighbor.
[/quote]

thats funny stuff...just talked to my neighbor, it has been there since the day we left :P
[/quote]

Same again. The first morning in the parks I got an email from my neighbor saying he picked up a package for me outside the house that looked like it was dropped off the night before.

Enjoy Disney, the FastPass and ability to change FP reservations from the mobile app was a life changer for me this time.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1402596126' post='9481487']
[quote name='BewareTheGlowball' timestamp='1402592312' post='9481031']
Will keep at it. The grip seems to be picking up noticeable dirt already as I feared, will take a picture as soon as it is obvious in the photo.
[/quote]

I've heard that for SS grips in general, household cleaning wipes or even baby wipes clean them pretty easily. There's also the tried and true dish soap and water with a soft brush.
[/quote]

Clorox or Lysol Disinfectant wipes work great...just wipe them down till they suds up and then warm water rinse and cotton towel dry!

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1402598176' post='9481743']
Will keep at it. The grip seems to be picking up noticeable dirt already as I feared, will take a picture as soon as it is obvious in the photo.
[/quote]

I've heard that for SS grips in general, household cleaning wipes or even baby wipes clean them pretty easily. There's also the tried and true dish soap and water with a soft brush.
[/quote]

Clorox or Lysol Disinfectant wipes work great...just wipe them down till they suds up and then warm water rinse and cotton towel dry!
[/quote]

Says the guy that I heard it from on Twitter. :D Thanks again!

Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1402598176' post='9481743']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Noted... :black eye: I guess I will just deal with the dirty grip since everyone else seems motivated enough to clean them! :cheesy::busted2:

So another round today and while I am still very happy with the putter i miss my center sight line. This one have the 2 lines offset from center. While I think I can get over this my mind wants that center line!! Lol
Played faster greens today and kept the heavy weights in them. May change it up but i dint like messing with feel.

That being said, this putter helps me hit it where I want to. No pulls. Few pushes. Looking forward to more with this. Playing Friday and tournament on Monday.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

I was pretty pumped to have won the opportunity to test one of the Tank Cruiser models. I ended up choosing the 38" #7 model.

I received the putter a little over a week ago and I've had the chance to practice with it twice and I've played about 36 holes. 1-18 hole round and two 9 holers.

My index is a 1.8 right now. I've had some pretty serious injuries over the last four years so I've had to take considerable time off from the game. Putting is BY FAR the worst part of my game. Driving and chipping are my strengths. I can shoot low scores by chipping it to tap in range quite frequently. I went to the belly putter about 5 years ago. It was in the bag for three years and it helped on the short puts but always struggled with distance control. Decided to ditch the belly two years ago and have been miserable ever since. I've tried 41" non anchored belly, Newport style heads with all sorts of grips; Claw, left hand low, you name it. I had become so defensive on the greens and had begun to accept that I just stunk at putting so as not to let it ruin a good time spent with friends on the course.

Earlier this spring I picked up a Versa Tank 2- ball with a Super Stroke 2.0 and a counter balanced weight installed in the shaft. Bought it used on the bay so I'm not sure how much it weighs. I'd started to find some sort of form and confidence was beginning to return ever so slowly. Only problem was that there seemed to be a little too much loft and I was having problems putting a very consistent roll on the ball.

First round of 9 With the Tank Cruiser #7 I didn't have the opportunity to hit the practice green just went right to the first tee. I had installed the heaviest weights in the head and grip right away to get the feel similar to the Versa Tank I was having some success with. Turns out the 30g grip weight made the head feel a little light so for the next round I swapped the 30g for the 15g.

It's taken a little while to get the ball placement and grip dialed. I've never used a 38" putter so It just took me a little while to figure out where to put my hands. I could see myself maybe going to a 36" version so I don't feel like I'm choking down quite as much.

Overall I'm really excited for what this putter has done for my putting. It lines up great and feels very stable. I've gone from defensive putting and worrying about hitting the ball past the hole to a much more aggressive approach. If I blow the ball by the hole I'm not worried about the comebacker. I'm banging a lot more puts into the back of the hole and I'm more comfortable taking some of the break out of the put and hitting it harder. I haven't bothered counting any puts as the rest of my game is in shambles due to three weeks of traveling.

If you've struggled with putting and/or want to move away from the belly i'd seriously look at one of these putters. It has completely restored my confidence. Confidence I haven't had in probably 8 years or so. It's amazing how much more fun I'm having and I actually look forward to putting now.

Got home from Disney today and got around to the un-boxing and a bit of tinkering. Rolled it on the carpet for a little bit and I hope to get out to play 18 tomorrow morning so I can post an on course review with it.

Initial impressions.

1. [size=4]I love the look of the # 7 head. I currently game a TMAG Daddy Long Legs and one of my favorite things about that putter is how it frames the hole and your line, it is so easy to set up with that putter. I see this as being a VERY EASY transition.[/size]

[size=4]2. I am a BIG fan of Super Stroke grips and game them on my OG Futura and Ghost Spider. I really like this extra long grip as it give a little more room to grip down, and I have become accustomed to doing so using my DLL. Gripping down on the standard length SS grips feels sorta awkward...this grip does not.[/size]

[size=4]3. The White Hot insert feels like it will make even Pinnacle Golds feel like butter...dunno if this is good or bad, just sayin.[/size]

[size=4]4. The magnetic cover is cool n all, but I have left the one on my Ghost Spider behind a couple times.[/size]

[size=4]​5. The weights feels like they are all extremely good quality, except the 5 gram grip [/size]weight[size=4], it feels like it will be extremely easy to strip.[/size]

[size=4]6. The head weights are sort of awkward to initially get seated and I could see a lot of warranty calls due to cross threading. Be patient when getting them started.[/size]

[size=4]A little about my game before I post a course review tomorrow.[/size]

[size=4]I played to a 5 last season and have trended up to a 7 this season due to what I am blaming on VERY poor putting. I am a decent fairways and greens player and an OK putter from 8 to 20 feet. Inside of 8 feet, I SUCK. 3 to 5 footers are my nemesis, and from outside of 20 feet, I rarely leave myself a tap in. I know that it is the Indian, not the arrow, and I have been working on my putting and have done much better my last few rounds. I shot 78 yesterday and had 4 lip outs if I recall. I usually have around 35 putts a round and average 3-4 three putts per round. My goal is to be around 30 putts per round.[/size]

[size=4]For tomorrows round, I put the 20 gram weights in the head, and the 5 gram weight in the grip as I have grown to like the heavy feel.[/size]

On to the pics :P

So has everyone settled on a length to grip down to, and how are you making sure you're consistent? Kind of obvious, but I think it would be useful information to post. Mine is a 35" putter and I've tried everything between 32" to 34" now and have settled something like 33.5". My left palm is just below the end of the red area on the grip and my right thumb covers the "O" in "Odyssey" at the bottom. I know I was critical of the branding placement initially, but now it has actually come in handy. Tried various weight set ups and came back to using the 15 gram weights in the head and 15 gram in the grip.

Also, I used one of those putting apps on my phone (jerry-rigged to the putter shaft) just to get a measure of consistency, and the face angle, arc, and tempo are pretty darn tight relative to my non-counter balanced putter(s). I don't pay much attention to the actual values because those are too dependent on calibration, just how consistent I am from stroke to stroke.

Toulon Palm Beach

I love reading these reviews. I was not selected for this testing but wanted to add that I just got a 36" Tank #7 Superstroke (not Cruiser model) from Golfsmith.com about a week ago. I will say the #7 shape instills a lot of confidence, at least for me, and helps me better align my putts. Previously I have always used an anser 2 style blade putter and did fairly well. My last putter was a 35" Cleveland Classic Black Platinum #4. I just wanted to try a change with a heavier club to help with my backstroke not shaking the club. I haven't been out on extremly fast greens yet but pleased with how I get the distance down really well with the swing of this club. The reason I didn't go with the Cruiser was because of the top of the club. I like the smooth transition of the original Tank 7, whereas the Crusier 7 and Milled 7 have a distinct drop-down behind the back of the clubface. The other item was the red dots for alignment. Looked better to me than 3 white lines but it's just personal preference. For a company that devotes the most to putting IMO, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the options.

Callaway Epic Mini driver- 12.5* (Epic head, Mini Big Bertha shaft- Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 S)
TM Burner Superfast 2.0- 3 wood 15*
Callaway Epic 2 Hybrid (UST Mamiya Recoil ES 780 S)- 18*
Maltby DBM (KBS Tour S)- 4-GW
Bridgestone J15 wedges (True Temper DG Spinner)- 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Select

Got to play 18 this morning. Played at Deer Run on Little Rock Air Force Base. Seems the greens were punched while I was down at Disney...not the worst I have played on...there are a couple pics that show condition.

Never done one of these before, so I will just give full on details.

Came out the gate on fire, but ended up not hitting the ball particularly well, and the putter saved my bacon a few times.

#1 - missed the fairway to the right about 10 ft into the rough. managed to hit 3 wood out of the rough to the center of the green and had 25 ft for eagle. left it about 2 ft short for a 2-putt birdie.

#2 - nutted a 9 iron to 7 ft and managed a 1-putt birdie.

#3 - missed the fairway by about a ft, hit a bad sand wedge from 100 to pin high and 2 ft into the light rough. chipped it to 2 ft with a PW and made the uphill putt for par.

#4 - finally hit a fairway, then hit 9 iron to about 30 feet away. cozied the first putt up to a foot and made my par.

#5 - s*** goes sideways here. hooked a big sweeping 3 wood into the pond. take a drop 185 out in the light rough and proceed to whack 5 iron over the green to the back fringe. pull the putter and it proceeds to break 6 feet more than what i see. miss a 7 footer coming back up the hill and end up 2-putting for double bogey.

#6 - hit fairway, then hit green in two. leave my 30 footer about 3 feet short. made the 3 footer for birdie.

#7 - miss the fairway about 5 feet left. caught a flyer with SW to the back fringe and 20 feet right. 1st putt to 4 feet coming back up the hill. make a HORRIBLE attempt at a putt and pound it 2 feet past. make 2 foot comeback for bogey.

#8 - tee shot to fringe about pin high and around 25 ft away. bad chip to 12 feet and proceed to 2 putt...i hurried this as a 5 some was letting me through.

#9 - drivable par 4. tug my tee shot to pin high...70 yards left :o , then caught a flyer wedge to the upper tier of the green (pin was on lower). 30 foot putt downhill to 6 feet. missed the 6 footer for a 3 putt bogey.

10 - another drivable par 4. hit a very bad tee shot and was lucky to find my ball in the fairway. hit wedge to 1 ft short of the green. putted it in off the fringe for birdie.

11 - hit the fairway, tugged a wedge to the fringe pin high. hit putter from the fringe...really bad stroke and blew it 10 ft past. missed the putt, made bogey.

12 - hit the fairway, poor second shot, then a wedge over the green into the light rough. chipped to 5 feet. this was a downhill 5 foot putt with about 3 inches of break...i really did not like the look of it...so i scanned it from both sides and settled on a line. made a great stroke and saved par.

13 - thinned it just a bit and was 5 yards short. chipped up to 5 feet and sank the putt for par.

14 - hit the fairway with a beautiful penetrating draw. really hit it well...so i decided to measure this one with me Garmin. ball went 284...a solid hit for me. was feeling strong now so hit LW from 95 and tugged it to 30 feet left of the pin. hit a horrible 1st putt and left it 6 feet short. missed the 6 footer and made a 3 putt double bogey.

15 - hit the fairway, hit the green, but left myself about a 50 footer. hit the 50 footer to about 6 feet and made that for par.

16 - missed the green by about a yard, chipped on to 4 feet and made that for par.

17 - poor drive, poor second, chip to about 8 feet. big downhill swinger that i 2 putted for bogey.

18 - smashed a hook into the trees...punch out to 165 yards. poor 3rd shot leaving myself a long uphill chip that i left 20 feet short and 2 putted for bogey.

38 - 39 for a 77

17 - 14 for a total of 31 putts.

7 FWs - 7 Grs

77 with only 7 fairways and 7 greens is not bad for me. I made more 5 footers today than i have in a long time and 31 putts is a very solid putting round for me. I struggled just a bit with the long putts getting my speed right, but i think i will get that down with time.

all in all, this is a great putter. it is REALLY EASY to line up and to me it feels easier to "swing" than my Daddy Long Legs does...if that makes sense.

i played z stars today, and they feel extremely soft off the face of this putter, it does not have the "click" that the TMAG does.

i DO NOT like the magnetic cover...i am going to end up losing this...

today i had the 20 gram weights in the head and the 5 gram in the grip. i will change this up on my next review to give the putter a different feel.

on another note, played in a tournament yesterday and made 2 birdies from off the green and another putt came up just short from off the green (although that was for a double bogey). One 'putt' was from about 10 yards off the green.. I really just wanted to get it on the surface,.... was straight hill to a short pin. So uphill that I could only see about half of the flag. I didn't want to flub a chip or skull it so I thought to just hit it hard and give myself a good shot at a par... and with the heavy weights in I would let the club do the work.... boom, birdie 2.
Again, this has exceeded my expectations from a confidence standpoint... I have rarely putted from 5-10yds off the green but now it seems that I can practice that shot more with this club.
will post more pictures later.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='coreyl' timestamp='1403028218' post='9516281']
Got to play 18 this morning. Played at Deer Run on Little Rock Air Force Base. Seems the greens were punched while I was down at Disney...not the worst I have played on...there are a couple pics that show condition.

Never done one of these before, so I will just give full on details.

Came out the gate on fire, but ended up not hitting the ball particularly well, and the putter saved my bacon a few times.

#1 - missed the fairway to the right about 10 ft into the rough. managed to hit 3 wood out of the rough to the center of the green and had 25 ft for eagle. left it about 2 ft short for a 2-putt birdie.

#2 - nutted a 9 iron to 7 ft and managed a 1-putt birdie.

#3 - missed the fairway by about a ft, hit a bad sand wedge from 100 to pin high and 2 ft into the light rough. chipped it to 2 ft with a PW and made the uphill putt for par.

#4 - finally hit a fairway, then hit 9 iron to about 30 feet away. cozied the first putt up to a foot and made my par.

#5 - s*** goes sideways here. hooked a big sweeping 3 wood into the pond. take a drop 185 out in the light rough and proceed to whack 5 iron over the green to the back fringe. pull the putter and it proceeds to break 6 feet more than what i see. miss a 7 footer coming back up the hill and end up 2-putting for double bogey.

#6 - hit fairway, then hit green in two. leave my 30 footer about 3 feet short. made the 3 footer for birdie.

#7 - miss the fairway about 5 feet left. caught a flyer with SW to the back fringe and 20 feet right. 1st putt to 4 feet coming back up the hill. make a HORRIBLE attempt at a putt and pound it 2 feet past. make 2 foot comeback for bogey.

#8 - tee shot to fringe about pin high and around 25 ft away. bad chip to 12 feet and proceed to 2 putt...i hurried this as a 5 some was letting me through.

#9 - drivable par 4. tug my tee shot to pin high...70 yards left :o , then caught a flyer wedge to the upper tier of the green (pin was on lower). 30 foot putt downhill to 6 feet. missed the 6 footer for a 3 putt bogey.

10 - another drivable par 4. hit a very bad tee shot and was lucky to find my ball in the fairway. hit wedge to 1 ft short of the green. putted it in off the fringe for birdie.

11 - hit the fairway, tugged a wedge to the fringe pin high. hit putter from the fringe...really bad stroke and blew it 10 ft past. missed the putt, made bogey.

12 - hit the fairway, poor second shot, then a wedge over the green into the light rough. chipped to 5 feet. this was a downhill 5 foot putt with about 3 inches of break...i really did not like the look of it...so i scanned it from both sides and settled on a line. made a great stroke and saved par.

13 - thinned it just a bit and was 5 yards short. chipped up to 5 feet and sank the putt for par.

14 - hit the fairway with a beautiful penetrating draw. really hit it well...so i decided to measure this one with me Garmin. ball went 284...a solid hit for me. was feeling strong now so hit LW from 95 and tugged it to 30 feet left of the pin. hit a horrible 1st putt and left it 6 feet short. missed the 6 footer and made a 3 putt double bogey.

15 - hit the fairway, hit the green, but left myself about a 50 footer. hit the 50 footer to about 6 feet and made that for par.

16 - missed the green by about a yard, chipped on to 4 feet and made that for par.

17 - poor drive, poor second, chip to about 8 feet. big downhill swinger that i 2 putted for bogey.

18 - smashed a hook into the trees...punch out to 165 yards. poor 3rd shot leaving myself a long uphill chip that i left 20 feet short and 2 putted for bogey.

38 - 39 for a 77

17 - 14 for a total of 31 putts.

7 FWs - 7 Grs

77 with only 7 fairways and 7 greens is not bad for me. I made more 5 footers today than i have in a long time and 31 putts is a very solid putting round for me. I struggled just a bit with the long putts getting my speed right, but i think i will get that down with time.

all in all, this is a great putter. it is REALLY EASY to line up and to me it feels easier to "swing" than my Daddy Long Legs does...if that makes sense.

i played z stars today, and they feel extremely soft off the face of this putter, it does not have the "click" that the TMAG does.

i DO NOT like the magnetic cover...i am going to end up losing this...

today i had the 20 gram weights in the head and the 5 gram in the grip. i will change this up on my next review to give the putter a different feel.
[/quote]

Loved this review; extremely comprehensive!

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

want to add something that i realized that i was missing mid round today.

would really like to see this in a versa as i have become accustomed to the black and white contrast and feel this helps a lot of people frame their line. this putter is still very easy to line up, but that is just 1 more thing that i find that helps.

@callaway/odyssey - bring on the [b]tank versa cruiser[/b] ... ooof...thats a mouthful

Just like everyone else I was very excited to try out the new Tank Cruiser line. We carry them in the shop I work at and I had become very interested in trying one out on the course. I chose to go with a 35" #1. I usually use short putters around 33.5".

My current putter is a 50" Scotty Cameron Kombi Long. I've been using this on and off for the past 3 years and using it exclusively for the past 5 months or so.

My background: I'm a 22 year old college sophomore (took time off after high school) at Erskine College where I am on the golf team. Our team finished 25th in the country and personally I finished 147th in the country as a freshman. My scoring average for the team was 75.47. I've always been a long hitter and a great ball striker, but somewhat lacking in the putting department. I switched to the long putter after seeing my high school coach use it for a few years. I love it inside 15 feet, but on longer lag putts I really struggle.

I've played newport blade style putters for as long as I can remember, thus I went with the #1 in the tank cruiser. I've been skeptical of counter balanced putters since the idea started catching on, so I was very excited to try one out.

First impressions out of the box were how good the finish looked and how great the shape of the putter was it looks fantastic. I've played super stroke grips on pretty much every short putter I've had in the past 2 years so, The odyssey version is a great size. I'm not sure if it's the standard 2.0 size or not but it feels great.

After taking it out of the box the first thing I did was tinker with the weights. The counterbalance weight is a breeze to change. the sole weights on the other hand are a little more difficult. I had a very tough time getting the weights to sit properly and to get them properly threaded, though I'm not sure if there's much that could be done about this besides changing the weights to the version on the MxM and MxMV. I eventually settled on the heavy head weights and the heavy counter weight.

Unfortunately I've had tournaments the past couple weeks and haven't had a lot of opportunities to practice with the new putter. But, here are my thoughts. The insert is much better than I expected. I've never been a fan of odyssey inserts in the past, but this one isn't nearly as squishy as other odyssey inserts I've tried. That being said I still prefer non-inserts over inserts. I'd love to see a MxM tank cruiser or something along those lines.

I noticed my feel on longer putts and big breaking putts was much better than with my broomstick, which would be expected. My lag putting was also better with the tank cruiser. On shorter putts, I was still better with the long putter. But, I can't say my stroke with the odyssey was very consistent or good for that matter since it's been so long since I've used a short putter.

Overall, I liked the Tank Cruiser I think there are a few small things (i.e. different weights, maybe offering a milled version) that I would change. But, I will be recommending it to other anchor users like myself. I doubt you'll see it in my bag anytime soon though. I plan on sticking with the Kombi for as long as I can (barring any serious decline in form). Again, thanks to odyssey and golfwrx for the great opportunity to try the new Tank Cruiser out.

[quote name='coreyl' timestamp='1403029634' post='9516513']
[quote name='ChristopherMcDonald' timestamp='1403029062' post='9516407']
[/quote]

[/quote]

My question is why do you not like the headcover being magnet? honest question haha.

Forever Changing at this point.......

Recently I have been playing on the course I work at, almost exclusively. My course has very quick greens compared to most of the courses in the area (we haven't measured it but 8-9 is my guess). I have gotten used to the cruiser on these greens, and can handle the lighter weight and I am pleased with the results I am seeing.

Yesterday I played a nearby course where the greens were PAINFULLY slow. My putting was an absolute nightmare with the tank cruiser, I was never able to hit the ball hard enough to get to the hole reasonably, the few times I did I ended up WAY beyond the hole. My Nome allowed me on the same sort of greens to still feel more confident in letting the club do the work to get the ball to the hole by letting gravity do the work, I feel I needed to punch at the ball with the cruiser!

So I do like the cruiser on average and faster greens for sure. But when the greens get shaggy I will be taking my Nome with me just in case!

[quote name='Papa Johick' timestamp='1403110170' post='9524809']
[/quote]

[/quote]

My question is why do you not like the headcover being magnet? honest question haha.
[/quote]

I am not super worried about this myself but I think I understand it. The magnetic clasp doesn't hold on as well as Vecro in my experience. My Nome came with a magnetic closure and would fall off pretty frequently when I was hauling my clubs in and out of my trunk. (and if the cart basket is metal it can often stick to the cart basket and hide when you are unloading your cart.

[quote name='Papa Johick' timestamp='1403110170' post='9524809']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

the magnet does not feel very strong and i can definitely see this coming off at some point...maybe while pulling a club, and i am not always as cognizant of my surroundings. the chances of me losing this on the course are extremely high. i have lost the one on my TMAG spider multiple times but have been lucky enough to find it. :)

[quote name='BewareTheGlowball' timestamp='1403110703' post='9524869']
Recently I have been playing on the course I work at, almost exclusively. My course has very quick greens compared to most of the courses in the area (we haven't measured it but 8-9 is my guess). I have gotten used to the cruiser on these greens, and can handle the lighter weight and I am pleased with the results I am seeing.

Yesterday I played a nearby course where the greens were PAINFULLY slow. My putting was an absolute nightmare with the tank cruiser, I was never able to hit the ball hard enough to get to the hole reasonably, the few times I did I ended up WAY beyond the hole. My Nome allowed me on the same sort of greens to still feel more confident in letting the club do the work to get the ball to the hole by letting gravity do the work, I feel I needed to punch at the ball with the cruiser!

So I do like the cruiser on average and faster greens for sure. But when the greens get shaggy I will be taking my Nome with me just in case!
[/quote]

8-9 is fast? I'm not trying to be a smart@ss at all here. Just wondering, as I've never really played in FL, and am used to mostly bent grass greens around here.

I actually played with the heavy putter (heavy head, counterbalanced shaft and grip, so basically same concept as the tank) for a couple months a few years back, and found something similar. Speed control was ok on normal to fast greens, but got erratic on really slow greens.

played today at Greystone...greens were rolling pretty quick

heres my putting breakdown for the day.

1 - 2 putted from 15 ft / 2 ft
2 - 3 putted from 30 ft / 12 ft / 1 ft
3 - 2 putted from 20 ft / 1 ft
4 - 2 putted from 10 ft / 5 ft
5 - 1 putt from 4 ft
6 - 2 putted from 7 ft / 2 ft
7 - 2 putted from 50 ft / 12 ft
8 - 1 putt from 2 ft
9 - 2 putted from 20 ft / 5 ft
10 - 2 putted from 7 ft / 1 ft
11 - 2 putted from 25 ft / 1 ft
12 - 3 putted from 45 ft / 10 ft / 1 ft
13 - 2 putted from 25 ft / 1 ft
14 - 2 putted from 60 ft / 1 ft
15 - 2 putted from 6 ft / 1 ft
16 - 2 putted from 25 ft / 1 ft
17 - 2 putted from 25 ft / 2 ft
18 - 2 putted from 10 ft / 3 ft

17 / 19 for a total of 36 putts

putting today was more of a reflection of how bad i hit my second shots, as i didnt get anything close to the hole at all. the 60 footer was the longest putt i had, and it looked like a country mile, but felt amazing when it came off the putter face.

as i said, i changed the setup today. left the 20s in the head, cuz i like the heavier head, but moved to the 15 in the grip. <++++ this surprised the hell out of me, as i could actually feel a difference. i didnt expect to be able to tell a big difference, but i was wrong. with the lighter weight in the grip, i found it easier to "swing" the putter like a traditional putter, and have that release feeling. with the addition of more weight in the head, i definitely got that "counter balance" feel, and it removed the "handsiness" of the stroke. I LIKED THIS A LOT. i helped me to make a more confident stroke on the ball, and the only reason i didnt make more putts today was that the greens kicked my @$$!

as i have stated my distaste for the magnetic cover, i lost it today when driving from # 9 to # 10, and drove back to find it sitting in the parking lot...maybe i will have the wife sew some velcro on there :P

So its official. Sold my protype on BST. the tank is now "officially" in war mode. ;)

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

I've been slacking on continuing my review process lately and I apologize to all those who are following the thread. I have been busy training personnel for an upcoming deployment to Afghanistan and I spend all day standing and instructing from my podium or from PowerPoint slides so I have had very little extra time to review or golf.

I was able to get in 9 holes on Tuesday and 18 yesterday and I still don't have any complaints.

On Tuesday during league play I had a 1.8 putt average with zero 3-putts and I was very happy with my putting. I was all over the cup and was mostly left with taps for par.

As for yesterday, I played a course that had terrible greens and were deathly slow. My entire group was so frustrated with the speeds and conditions of the greens that they all stated they won't play that course ever again.

I had a very difficult time trying to get the right speeds. I was either 1-2 feet short on my putts or 3-6 feet beyond the hole. I won't knock the putter itself for those results but I have noticed other comments about having issues with distance control and slow speeds. I don't think having my old putter in the bag would have helped at all which is why I'm not knocking the tank for the results.

I finished with a 2.2 average with three 3-putts. I didn't love those stats.

I'll provide more in depth updates when I am finished with training.

Thanks for the reviews everyone. I want to try one of these out for sure, but I just bought a #9HT for some reason...

This will be the NEXT one I try.

Two questions

1) does anyone know the specifics on the grip? And/or has anyone changed the grip on this putter yet? I'd be interested in ordering like a #1w at 36.5" or so and putting a SS Claw on it as I seem to prefer the taper of that grip over most SS products. I wonder if you can just drill a hole in the back of the grip and have it workout? I think like using the TourLock grip cutting tool. Any thoughts?

2) Any one (Odyssey people) know if there are plans to release other models or inserts to the Cruiser line? I can only think of the awesomeness of maybe a #5 model, Versas, or Metal X versions.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

[quote name='J-Tizzle' timestamp='1403630512' post='9567209']
Thanks for the reviews everyone. I want to try one of these out for sure, but I just bought a #9HT for some reason...

Two questions

1) does anyone know the specifics on the grip? And/or has anyone changed the grip on this putter yet? I'd be interested in ordering like a #1w at 36.5" or so and putting a SS Claw on it as I seem to prefer the taper of that grip over most SS products. I wonder if you can just drill a hole in the back of the grip and have it workout? I think like using the TourLock grip cutting tool. Any thoughts?

2) Any one (Odyssey people) know if there are plans to release other models or inserts to the Cruiser line? I can only think of the awesomeness of maybe a #5 model, Versas, or Metal X versions.
[/quote]

im not sure if cutting another grip would work out unless you could find a way to integrate the threaded female end, as it is part of the grip on the SS that come with the cruiser. not saying it isnt possible, might just be difficult.

i kinda like the stock grip as far as length, size, and feel.

give the stock one a shot.

i like the putter a lot more than i thought i would.

[quote name='coreyl' timestamp='1403659949' post='9570829']
[quote name='J-Tizzle' timestamp='1403630512' post='9567209']

Two questions

[/quote]

im not sure if cutting another grip would work out unless you could find a way to integrate the threaded female end, as it is part of the grip on the SS that come with the cruiser. not saying it isnt possible, might just be difficult.

i kinda like the stock grip as far as length, size, and feel.

give the stock one a shot.

i like the putter a lot more than i thought i would.
[/quote]

Do you think its part of the grip, or is it an adapter that is glued into the butt end of the shaft? I thought thats how the other Tanks are, with the weight just glued into the back.

I'd hope if I went down that path of getting a #1w that I could cut the grip off, pull the adapter with some heat, cut the putter down a little more (from 38" to maybe 36.5"ish), glue the adapter back in, drill the appropriate sized hole out of the SS Claw, and install like normal. It all makes sense in my brain, but I'm sure I'd set my garage on fire when it came to actually doing that.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22