Odyssey Tank Cruiser: Official Member Testing and Review Thread

Weight unit is in the shaft...grip can be changed, just have to cut a hole in it. I understand the weight can be removed to shorten or lengthen, but not super easy to do.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1403717249' post='9575365']
Weight unit is in the shaft...grip can be changed, just have to cut a hole in it. I understand the weight can be removed to shorten or lengthen, but not super easy to do.
[/quote]

i stand corrected...went outside and pulled the weight out and checked it, and this appears to be the case :)

[quote name='coreyl' timestamp='1403719160' post='9575727']
[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1403717249' post='9575365']
[/quote]

i stand corrected...went outside and pulled the weight out and checked it, and this appears to be the case :)
[/quote]

I believe it is fitted in like a steel shaft extension...would just have to heat it, remove it, lengthen/shorten, re-epoxy and regrip.

I am sure someone will do it shortly!! LOL!! of course, since someone wants their putter 34.65 inches or something.

Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='John O. M.' timestamp='1403722629' post='9576243']
Why not just custom order a length from Callaway/odyssey directly? Doesn't seem worth all the work to do it on your (whomever) own.
[/quote]

I think he wanted a different size/shape Superstroke grip, that's why. The ability to customize length is a nice option, but that I think works only for people who know exactly how they want the counterbalancing to work, or for those who really don't want to have to grip down. Until I actually got my Tank in hand, I would have had no idea how to pick a custom length. I'm still not 100% sure, haha.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1403723296' post='9576333']
[quote name='John O. M.' timestamp='1403722629' post='9576243']
Why not just custom order a length from Callaway/odyssey directly? Doesn't seem worth all the work to do it on your (whomever) own.
[/quote]

I think he wanted a different size/shape Superstroke grip, that's why. The ability to customize length is a nice option, but that I think works only for people who know exactly how they want the counterbalancing to work, or for those who really don't want to have to grip down. Until I actually got my Tank in hand, I would have had no idea how to pick a custom length. I'm still not 100% sure, haha.
[/quote]

I mostly asked for 3 reasons. 1) last I had heard, custom ordered Cruisers are taking a couple weeks to ship; 2) I can get a used one for less than $180 locally (know a guy); 3) I wanted the length as I've played with the CB enough to know I like it slightly longer than 35" (ex 36.5") but the 38" stock length is too odd feeling for me.

And like I'll be the ONLY person to get one of these and customize it a bit more, lol. Do they make black belly putter shafts???

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

[quote name='mljones99' timestamp='1403826908' post='9586327']
Based off this thread and trying one out on my lunch break at Dick's Sporting Goods I ordered 38" V Line Tank Cruiser. Can't wait to get it on Monday!
[/quote]

Glad you found the reviews helpful. I was skeptical of the concept at first, but am growing to really like my 330M.

Toulon Palm Beach

There is a feel with these that is pretty insanely good to begin with...they just feel easy to swing on line and keep the distance consistent...no big surprises...!! I just got my Versa V-Line at 34.5 with a SS 1.0...BUT I was rolling the 35" V-Line Cruiser extremely well also...might be my second mallet purchase in 15 years if I don't be careful!!

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

Tried #7 at PGA Superstore a few weeks ago and could not miss with it under 15 feet..............Tried various other putters at the time and nothing was anywhere near the #7............so a week later I saw one in a local pro shop and tested it on the practice green outside - this time against my WH 2-Ball V=Line.........again could not miss with the #7.............Picked up a #7 on the bay for 199 brand new and can't wait to get her rolling.

Great feel..........point and shoot!

Driver - Ping G400 LST 8.5* Tour Stiff 65
Fairways - Ping G410 #5 17.5* Evenflow 75 Stiff (set at big minus 16* = 3/4 wood)
Hybrids - Ping G 19* #3 Stiff Tour Stiff 90 and Ping G410 24* #4 Tour Stiff 85
Irons - Ping G410 irons 5-PW Nippon N.S.Pro 950 GH Stiff white dot +1/2" 
Wedges - Ping Glide 3.0 50* green dot +1/2", Ping Glide 3.0 54* black dot and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 58* black dot
Bag  Ping DLX Black
Putter  Bettinardi Queen Bee #8 2017 model
Head covers for woods Ping Black/White Pompoms
Balls  Titleist ProV1, ProvV1X, AVX and TaylorMade TP5X (depending on the course and weather)
Cart Clicgear 3.5+

Rolled my 35" Tank Cruiser V-line for the 1st time on the course yesterday after about a week of practice with it. 26 putts in route to a +3 score of 74. I likely average 32 putts per round and carry a 2.7 index, so this first round with the cruiser was great. Only hit 6 greens and only 3 "gimmie" pars on missed greens, so the cruiser came through. Made a 35' right to left bomb for birdie on #3 and made more than my fair share of 5-10' par saves. Only bad putts were a 10' par putt on #1 left a foot short and a 7' birdie putt on #18 that I pulled and had to chance.
The cruiser is so stable and stays on line very well. I currently have the 30g weight in the grip and 15g weights in the head. I choke down a bit on the grip as I normally use a 34" putter. I found that the extra weight makes me putt more with my shoulders and takes my hands out of play. I did make a conscious effort to put a firmer roll on the ball than normal, seemed to work yesterday. My only complaint is that I wish the insert was a bit firmer, though I'm guessing I just need to get used to an insert again after several years of rolling a milled Betti BB25.

Callaway Mavrik driver

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 4-wood
Mizuno MP20 HMB 3-5 irons
Mizuno MP20 6-pw

Mizuno T20 50*, 55* and 60* wedges
Bettinardi BB25 putter
Titleist Pro V1x ball

Great reviews everyone! Would really like to see a V-line in left handed please!!!

Titleist TSI3 9.5 / Ventus TR Blue 60x
Titleist TS2 15* / Aldila Phenom 70x
Titleist TS2 18* / Aldila Phenom 70x
Titleist 913H 21* / Hazrdous Smoke 6.5

Titleist T200 / T150 5-G / Modus 105S
Titleist Vokey SM8 56 / 60
Scotty X5

My apologies here, this is a long overdue initial review but I wanted to gather my notes across multiple rounds before posting. Bear in mind this is specific to me and my game, but I hope it helps nevertheless. Used the 20 gram head weights and the 15 gram grip weight, gripping down to around 33".

Conclusion: I like the putter and think that it has helped my putting, but I need to work on quality of strike on longer putts.

Shorter putts (inside 6 feet) - Almost a perfect set up now that I've gotten used to it more. I was initially hitting putts too hard and blasting them through the break or into the lip (the first time I used this I 3-putted from inside 6 feet two of the first three holes), but have now become really comfortable with this at short range. The stability of the counterbalance and the large grip have really helped with keeping the stroke smooth and putter head online. Hitting most of these pure and on the intended line. The 330M head shape and alignment aid are something I'm used to coming from the ProType 7, and now it helps just being able to line up and pull the trigger, not worrying about the stroke itself.

Medium distance (between 6 to 15 feet) - I've made a few more of these lately, and regardless of whether it's the putter or just improved touch or green reading, something works here. Similar to the shorter putts, I've been able to hit the hole more and misses are near misses. Part of it is being able to make a better stroke and hitting the ball where I want to, and this putter has helped for sure. However, I'm not hitting the sweet spot as well as I used to, and it gets worse the longer the putt. Thankfully, it's forgiving enough of a putter that when I do miss, it's not too far off still.

Long putts (longer than 15 feet) - Interestingly enough, this has improved slightly for me in terms of the end results, but I've found that I'm missing the sweet spot a lot as mentioned before. This is the complete opposite of the shorter putts, where I feel like I'm making perfect (or close to perfect) contact most of the time. Distance control isn't the problem, I'm hitting it the correct distances, but the contact has been poor. Again, it's a good thing that the heavy head and forgiveness of the putter itself are still allowing me to end up relatively close to the hole for a non-pure strike. I may try to adjust how far down I grip and/or the weights, but don't want to change anything too significantly because it's working really well at shorter distances. And I spend more time practicing from long range, period. I will do my best to figure this one out and will post a follow up here with more practice and play.

I also summed up some positives and negatives of the Tank Cruiser, based on my experience so far.

Positives:[list]
[*]Adjustability provides versatility and the ability to fine tune
[*]Improved accuracy at shorter to mid ranges from the increased stability from the counterbalance and SS grip
[*]Insert feel is nice, ever so slightly firmer than the WHP line, but not as firm as the White Ice line
[*]No adverse impact on distance control or touch
[*]Stroke guidance from the counter balance and/or larger grip has been effective
[/list]

Negatives: [list]
[*]Adjustability may cause temptation for too much tinkering
[*]Inconsistent contact as putter stroke increases in length (work in progress)
[*]Large grip may not be for everyone, as I'd have preferred the same grip but maybe a little thinner
[/list]
Please feel free to post any questions for me or anyone else. Thanks.

Toulon Palm Beach

I was able to run out this morning and get a round in before I started work. I was even par on the 16th hole in the middle of the fairway when I was supposed to be reporting to work, whoops! But then I stuck and approach and sunk my eagle putt.. and had to continue!

Almost dunked my approach on 17 and dropped the putt in for a bird. The 18th hole , the number one handicap hole has a water hazard which you have to lay far back from on your drive or you can easily find yourself in it. I left myself 200 yards from the pin, and snuck a swooping hook with a 5 iron onto the green leaving a 20 footer. I read the putt and picked my mark. I rolled the ball at the perfect speed right on my line over my mark.. and alas the v-line doesn't help me read greens because i left it one inch left of the cup when it didn't break back for me! Tap in par.

But I carded a 69 with 24 putts, which is actually my first round under 70, so the v-line has leverage against me now to stay in the bag!

Great reviews so far guys. Keep the detail coming.

I bought a Tank No 1 Versa as soon as they came out. I bought it without really trying one, but as a previous user of the dreaded belly putter was keen to try the technology. I found that it was actually harder than the belly putter to get a feel on lag putts. However, I put that down to lack of game time and persisted with it.

A few weeks ago, after a bad round, I went into the pro shop at my club and saw a number 1 Tank Cruiser. I took it out onto the practice green and immediately spotted a difference. Short putts were just as easy, but there was much more feel for lag putts. I bought it after fifteen minutes on the green!

I have now played 6 rounds with it and am much happier with it than the original tank (which I have kept for practice, figuring the heavier weight will help groove a good stroke). The only change I have made is to put the 30g weight in the handle (leaving the 15s in the head).

I think this club will be in my bag for a long time (and I must change my WITB footer to show the replacement of my Anser 2).

Titleist TSi1 10 degree driver 

TM Stealth 4 and 7 woods
M6 hybrid
PXG 0211 irons (5 to G)
Vokey 54 D grind 58 D grind
Scotty Newport 2.5 Special Select

TM Tour Response balls

H2NO stand bag

I am still gaming my #7 over my Yes! belly putter largely because I've found it easier to hit my lines with it. After a ton of trial and error, I have been using the 30g weight in the shaft and the 25g weights in the head on my 38" Cruiser. I do not play on super fast greens and haven't had any issue with distance control.

However, the one thing I don't like about my #7 vs my belly is the feel at impact. My belly has a 30g Tour Lock Opti-Vibe weight installed towards my hands. At impact, it feels very solid with no vibration. With my Cruiser, I feel a ton of vibration and (especially on long putts) the club almost feels like it's twisty on long putts. Is this a function of how much weight I have in it? Or is it more due to the Opti-Vibe weight having the foam coating to dampen vibration?

I just picked up a tank cruiser #7, only have two rounds under my belt with it but am really liking it . I had been playing a scotty newport for the past 5 years but my confidence fell apart and thought I'd try something new and I'm glad I did.

The stability of the stroke and putter face is incredible. The weight completely eliminates my hands wanting to flip/hit at the ball and let's me just rock my shoulders. The only thing I struggle with are the long lag putts but that will come with more practice. I'm glad I gave this type of putter a shot and would recommend it to everyone.

I really hope they bring out a metal x milled version of the putter next year I've never really cared for the feel of insert putters, but the metal x inserts feels better to me.

Nice work odyssey I think u have a winner here

[quote name='thesamwise' timestamp='1404859198' post='9662299']
Ok just pulled the trigger on a 330. Should be here Friday. Can't wait to give it a try! Thanks for all the reviews, fellow Tank commanders.
[/quote]

you won't be disappointed. I have noticed that I have more control over this putter than any other I have used... including the Odyssey ProType iX that I thought was never going to leave my bag. I think if that was counterbalanced I would have kept it. But I was able to sell that on BST.

The one thing my eyes and brain are having trouble with on the 330m are the double sight lines. I have been using a single sight line for 30+years it seems. I will be looking to customize it and maybe black out the existing sight lines and have a single one put in. All depends on the cost though.

I can say that this putter is one of the best I have rolled. Having more than 10 rounds played with it since we started this thread. I am finally getting control of distance with it and will start playing with weight more. I have also been using this more off the green instead of using hybrids or blading my 60*

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='allenri2' timestamp='1404792008' post='9657455']With my Cruiser, I feel a ton of vibration and (especially on long putts) the club almost feels like it's twisty on long putts.
[/quote]

This is sort of what I'm feeling, but I think it's because I'm missing the sweet spot on my longer putter strokes. Going to spend some time on the practice green the next week or so to figure this out. But mid to short range, it's essentially perfect.

Toulon Palm Beach

One more thing, as much as I've complained about the thickness of the grip, it is preventing me from letting my hands go too far forward. In other words, it forces me to have less of a forward press, which I tend to do excessively. I think part of the reason I'm rolling the ball better with the Tank is because I'm not delofting it as much as I used to. The SS is making me move my hands back slightly over the ball, while before they would creep way forward.

Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1404906865' post='9665223']
[quote name='allenri2' timestamp='1404792008' post='9657455']With my Cruiser, I feel a ton of vibration and (especially on long putts) the club almost feels like it's twisty on long putts.
[/quote]

This is sort of what I'm feeling, but I think it's because I'm missing the sweet spot on my longer putter strokes. Going to spend some time on the practice green the next week or so to figure this out. But mid to short range, it's essentially perfect.
[/quote]

I have had this vibration feeling as well and I also think it is due to not striking the ball cleanly. I have been lucky enough not to have a lot of long putts but I can say that when I do my miss radius is severely smaller than it was before this putter.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='joey2aces' timestamp='1404907209' post='9665247'][quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1404906865' post='9665223']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I have had this vibration feeling as well and I also think it is due to not striking the ball cleanly. I have been lucky enough not to have a lot of long putts but I can say that when I do my miss radius is severely smaller than it was before this putter.[/quote]

I'm in 100% agreement. I noticed early on that a lot of my long putts I'd feel that same shock/vibration so I brought it to the putting green and started practicing lag putts and it became fairly obvious that when I was trying too hard to muscle up long putts I was not stroking the ball in the sweet spot, I was either just inside or outside and I could sort of feel and see the club face try to correct itself. That may sound a little odd but what I mean is that when I hit the ball closer to the toe for example, the face would normally want to open at impact but I'd get that shock feeling and the insert helped keep my putt on line but I would notice slightly worse distance control.

Missing the sweet spot on my old SC would be an instant push or pull, my ghost spider was a lot better at minimizing the misses, but this putter I find I have a lot less misses. It's just way too easy to hit the ball square.

Also, regarding the sight lines, I was a little skeptical about the dual lines but I use them to frame the line on my ball and find it very easy to use them to my advantage to ensure that I keep the ball on line.

I think with my old putters I'd focus too much on trying to hit my single line perfectly on plane with the line on my ball and it was just a mental thing for me. With the dual lines my brain thinks that there's a larger margin of error that now I don't need to hit the line perfectly I just need to stroke the "putting zone" on plane with my ball's putting line. Mentally it helps because I can miss a little inside or outside but as long as it's still on the right plane it'll be fine. Of course it would be the same margin of error with just one line but mentally it just helps me and adds a little confidence. Just my view on it anyway.

I picked up a #1 after a few shaky rounds with my long term gamer Ping Redwood Anser 34.5" w/ Super Stoke Slim. I'm typically a steady putter 30ish a round(only hit 8 or so greens), rarely 3-putt, but don't sink enough of the birdie and par saving putts to my liking. Recently with the standard Ping went awry as it has maybe 2-3 times in the past. I bow my left wrist in the take away (right handed conventional grip) and never get the putt rolling on my line.

I've played with belly putters in the past and had great success, especially with longer lag putts, but never got into a groove inside 10' which is where I was looking for the help. So I was intrigued by the counter balance idea, without it being a Heavy Putter. I had messed with Heavy Putters and hated the feel and look of everything I put in my hands, they felt harsh didn't have a sight line I liked and were a pain to work on if you wanted to change the length having to pull the massive lead slug from the butt of the shaft.

I went to the store to mess with the Tank Cruiser #1 and was impressed. I had already decided I would pick one up, but wasn't sure of the length, whether to order my norm, go long or something in the middle. I settled on the 38". I've now got 6 rounds in, from fast to slow greens and I've been thrilled. The combination of heavier head and counter weighting has helped me start everything on my line. Initially I was moving up and down the grip on longer and shorter putts and not as consistent as i would have liked on the longer putt despite the mid and short length being excellent. Finally after realizing and using the same grip for all putts it has been fantastic. Distance control is as big a virtue as the ability to get the ball on line. I've been making more putts, dropping probably 2+ strokes around with par saves and more birdies.

I've never been a fan of insert putters but this doesn't bother me at all. Hit it solid and the feel is excellent, miss the sweet spot and of course it vibrates, but it still keeps the ball on line, quite forgiving if anything.

Two Thumbs up!!!!

IG: instagram.com/launchedgolf                                      

G430 LST Tour 2.0 Black 65X

TSR2+ HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.5                  
UW 19* MMT  (G430 19* Hybrid Kai'li 80X)
'24 Apex 23* MMT 105X

'24 Apex CB 5-11, DGX100

SM9 54/10M
Jaws Full Toe 58*

Ping Redwood Anser (the original Redwood)

On deck: Paradym Super Hybrid 21*, TSR3 24* hybrid, Apex CB 4-11, Apex MB 8-10, Apex Pro 4-6, Apex UT 23*, Apex UW 19*  Something has to fill the gap between that 8-iron and the driver

Yeah, there's definitely something about the heavier head or the weight distribution that makes the 330M really forgiving on misses from long range. Definitely liking it for that.

Toulon Palm Beach