Odyssey Tank Cruiser: Official Member Testing and Review Thread

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1406257219' post='9780289']
Looks sweet!! rolled the 330m cruiser last night at the store very solid. ..great roll!!
[/quote]

I'm sold on the counterbalance and have always liked the different versions of the White Hot insert, it's just a matter of finding the right head. It was between the V-Line and 330M for me and it was a tough decision because of how much I liked the WHP V-Line, but in the end the slight toe hang of the 330M is what nudged me. And again, I just have an affinity for the 330M shape.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1406293366' post='9782043']
Looks sweet!! rolled the 330m cruiser last night at the store very solid. ..great roll!!
[/quote]

I'm sold on the counterbalance and have always liked the different versions of the White Hot insert, it's just a matter of finding the right head. It was between the V-Line and 330M for me and it was a tough decision because of how much I liked the WHP V-Line, but in the end the slight toe hang of the 330M is what nudged me. And again, I just have an affinity for the 330M shape.
[/quote]

I'm sold on counterbalance as well but prefer a firmer feel. Have always played a steel or metal insert so the MXM appealed to me. Huge fan of the Tank!

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1406294059' post='9782125']
[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1406293366' post='9782043']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm sold on counterbalance as well but prefer a firmer feel. Have always played a steel or metal insert so the MXM appealed to me. Huge fan of the Tank!
[/quote]

If they came out with a MXM [u]Tank[/u] 330M I'd be all over it too...

Toulon Palm Beach

I am waiting for MXM V-Line. ...Cruiser or regular MXM is just fine with me...but do the Versa V-line head!!!

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

Hmm. I just recently noticed with mine that the lock on the weight in the grip seems to come loose during normal activities. (putting in trunk/taking out etc) Mine came loose in the middle of a round and felt horrible, i had to kind of jam a tee in and twist to get it to hold for the round. I feel like there should be a lock system like when you lock the head on adjustable drivers.

Or am I crazy and the only one that has had this happen? I feel like that could be a ruling nightmare too if you have to bring out a tool to adjust the tightness.. (but I do get a little paranoid o.0)

A little lock-tight on it should do it or tighten just a bit more. I know that without it being a torque wrench people are not sure how much to tighten. But the lock-tight would work and isn't permanent so should be fine.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

• 2 weeks later...

My 330M says Hi from the 10th hole at Moose Ridge in South Lyon, MI. Great golf course btw, cut through acres of woods with a beautiful clubhouse and no other visual distractions like houses or other properties. Tough track though.

14858586783_63de8cf4e7_b.jpg20140731_101644

Anyway, to cut right to it, I just played four of the worst rounds ever in recent history. Most of it was due to my inability to hit a wedge from 80 yards in, but also my failure to adjust to faster greens. And in the case of Forest Dunes, which I played after Moose Ridge, possibly the fastest greens I've ever played on. Shorter putts from maybe 8 feet in were fine, and I did make a bunch of tough 4-6 footers. However, outside of 10 feet was a disaster, the longer the putt, the worse I got. I was both blasting it by the hole 10-15 feet or leaving it 6-8 feet short. I definitely need more practice on faster greens, and know that it is all on me. I really don't want to mess with the set up, but I think I might try the lighter weights in the head to see if I can help myself tackle the feel aspect.

Toulon Palm Beach

• 2 weeks later...

after trying a number of putter including futura counter balance, ping ketsch, v-line regular the v-line counter balance won out. At firsdt had trouble with longer putts, went no weight in grip and 10 in head and it works great on short and long. KEEPER.

Mizuno ST-Max 10.5 Smoke RDX 50 5.5, AI Smoke 10.5 with HZRDOUS RDX RED 50 5.5

Mizuno ST-MaX 5 stock Kail'l R

Mizuno ST-Max 7 stock Kail'l R

AI Smoke HL 7-AW Nippon Neo 85

AI Smoke 7/8 Hybrid HZRDOUS Siver 65 Gen 4 5.5

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

Titelist prov1x/Callaway Chrome Soft

Meant to post an update, had a great putting round finally after 10+ rounds of struggles, partly because my alignment and just lack of touch. I'm very optimistic for the future with this 330M though.

The Eyeline practice mirror was a HUGE help to me in getting my issues sorted out, definitely not the putter's fault.

14703982628_d4cdd1cc50_b.jpg

Toulon Palm Beach

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='John O. M.' timestamp='1405002645' post='9672887']
I grip my hands over the odyssey logo. My thumb settles right on the "OD" area right below the logo. (38")

What about everyone else?
[/quote]

Me too. Loving this putter. Feels so stable.

Driver - Ping G400 LST 8.5* Tour Stiff 65
Fairways - Ping G410 #5 17.5* Evenflow 75 Stiff (set at big minus 16* = 3/4 wood)
Hybrids - Ping G 19* #3 Stiff Tour Stiff 90 and Ping G410 24* #4 Tour Stiff 85
Irons - Ping G410 irons 5-PW Nippon N.S.Pro 950 GH Stiff white dot +1/2" 
Wedges - Ping Glide 3.0 50* green dot +1/2", Ping Glide 3.0 54* black dot and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 58* black dot
Bag  Ping DLX Black
Putter  Bettinardi Queen Bee #8 2017 model
Head covers for woods Ping Black/White Pompoms
Balls  Titleist ProV1, ProvV1X, AVX and TaylorMade TP5X (depending on the course and weather)
Cart Clicgear 3.5+

Had another solid round with my 330M on Friday. As posted above, the Eyeline mirror has helped me a lot, but I also switched the grip weight from the 15 gram to the 30 gram, to go with the 20 gram weights in the head. Not sure how significant the weight change is, but I know my putting was good for the most part. Either way, I'll always be thankful for the opportunity to review it, and I guess it's a bonus that it's still in the bag and working well for me.

Toulon Palm Beach

Still putting great with my custom Metal-X Milled #7 "Tank" that has been converted. It swings itself and the roll is incredible. It's been one of the staples of my bag all year - and my home course greens are extremely difficult, multiple tiers, and subtle breaks around the hole.

• 4 months later...

Still using my 330M and I'm almost certain it will not be going anywhere for at least another season, even if I end up switching the weights around a little. Great putter.

Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Warrick' timestamp='1422159482' post='10813031']
I played my first full round with it today, am in love. 0 - 3 putts.

The head is so stable, have it fully weighted.
[/quote]

Awesome. Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I love the shape and feel of the 330.

I'm rocking the 30gram in the grip and the 15s in the putter head. I was not a fan of the insert at first, but it's still growing on me.

You guys find that you have more success on either slow or fast greens, or is it money no matter what?

I have a No 7 in 38 inch. At the beginning I putted really well with it, but had always issues with longer putts, and this is getting worse. I tried all the different weights, it is better with the heaviest options in the sole and the grip, and it really helps on shorter putts, but I miss the feeling on longer putts. Therefore I will go back to my Scotty GoLo for the next few rounds, hopefully this will help.

• 2 weeks later...

I left for a deployment about a month after I received the putter, so I didnt get in as many rounds for review as I would have liked. I have gotten in around 5 or 6 rounds since I got back a couple weeks ago, and I gotta say, this putter has firmly earned a spot in my bag. The more time with it I have, the more consistent my putting with it has gotten. I think that I am more consistent with this putter from 15-20 ft than I have been with any other putter. I am a fan :)

• 3 months later...

Almost a year later, and not one other putter has been in my bag since I received this. :)

Not only do I like the look, feel, sound, etc of my 330M, it has also performed great on the course thus far. Any shortcomings have been operator error. I have the 20 gram weights in the head and 30 gram in the grip, probably playing it around 33". Gripping the putter more in the fingers has helped me reduce some grip pressure and adjust to the thicker grip.

I think I've adjusted well in terms of lag/long putts, but where this has really shined for me is 6 feet and in. It's been a long time since I was this consistent when it comes to short putting.

Additionally, the quality of the finish has held up very well and it still looks essentially new. I've cleaned the grip a couple of times using Clorox wipes and that seems to be an effective way of restoring (somewhat) the cleanliness and tackiness.

Toulon Palm Beach

I have both the 330 and v-line in this model, love em both. I modded out a new SS 2.0 Faltso XL to go on my v-line, so that i could still use the tank weights and love it.

I think I may cut the 330 down to 33" and put a normal flatso on it, dump the CB weight in that one. I love the heavy head.

Great putters.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1432868335' post='11647536']
Almost a year later, and not one other putter has been in my bag since I received this. :)

Not only do I like the look, feel, sound, etc of my 330M, it has also performed great on the course thus far. Any shortcomings have been operator error. I have the 20 gram weights in the head and 30 gram in the grip, probably playing it around 33". Gripping the putter more in the fingers has helped me reduce some grip pressure and adjust to the thicker grip.

I think I've adjusted well in terms of lag/long putts, but where this has really shined for me is 6 feet and in. It's been a long time since I was this consistent when it comes to short putting.

Additionally, the quality of the finish has held up very well and it still looks essentially new. I've cleaned the grip a couple of times using Clorox wipes and that seems to be an effective way of restoring (somewhat) the cleanliness and tackiness.
[/quote]
do you play it at 33" with the superstroke grip still on it? or do you mean you grip it at 33?

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1409680369' post='10050635']
Still putting great with my custom Metal-X Milled #7 "Tank" that has been converted. It swings itself and the roll is incredible. It's been one of the staples of my bag all year - and my home course greens are extremely difficult, multiple tiers, and subtle breaks around the hole.
[/quote]

Posted Sept 2014. Still in the bag. I love this putter. I've actually adjusted to standing taller and gripping the putter perfect over the red hand guide on the Odyssey grip. It's allowed me to stand taller and swing the putter more freely.

[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1433757100' post='11709650']

[/quote]
do you play it at 33" with the superstroke grip still on it? or do you mean you grip it at 33?
[/quote]

I grip it down at around the 33" mark, based on lining the Tank up side by side with my 33" ProType #7. I have not modified the original grip or 35" length in any way. Thanks for clarifying.

Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1433785681' post='11712008']
[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1433757100' post='11709650']

[/quote]
[/quote]

I grip it down at around the 33" mark, based on lining the Tank up side by side with my 33" ProType #7. I have not modified the original grip or 35" length in any way. Thanks for clarifying.
[/quote]

Are you serious man....?

I have an Odyssey ProType 7 at 33", and that is how I got it figured out also.

Kinds creepy we are so much alike...

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

We just know how to do things the right way is all.... :)

I had a slightly inconsistent day with the putter but realized after I had the toe off the ground a little. I still made some 4 to 6 footers, but also missed a couple badly, and missed the sweet spot on a couple of long putts . I don't expect to make everything of course, but I think I fixed the issue on the putting green after.

Toulon Palm Beach

• 1 year later...

Gravedigger post... funny how I was the last one to post in this thread previously too, and almost 2 years ago.

Due to extended struggles with the putter, I threw the 330M in the bag this past week on a whim and had one of the best putting rounds in recent memory. Granted, I've been putting so badly that the bar was set low to begin with. Had seven 1-putts between 3 to 8 feet, and narrowly missed a few more, including leaving two 8-10 footers dead center short.

I had initially dumped the Tank because of lag putting and while that's still somewhat of an issue, I noted that as my putting got worse, my grip pressure got tighter. And as my grip pressure got tighter, my putting got worse. And so on. With more focus on lighter grip pressure and moving to 10 gram weights in the head and just the plug in the grip, I'm starting to see some improvement in speed control and touch.

Toulon Palm Beach

I picked up a 330m from a member recently, and so far I'm really digging it. I was skeptical, but the counter-balance thing is real. The weighting seems to make it much easier for me to produce a rocking pendulum stroke more consistently releasing the head on short putts. I have 10g weights in the head and a 30g in the butt of a SNSR grip playing at 35".

Yes, my touch on the long ones has probably been negatively affected. For now that's an OK tradeoff for the confidence boost its produced on the short must makes.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9* / Ventus TR 5-S
Callaway Rogue 14* / Tour Blue 75-S

Callaway Rogue SZ 18* / Thump 75f-S

PXG Gen2 22* / Fuji Pro 73-S
Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-P / Modus 120-S 
PXG Sugar Daddy II 53*/58*

Odyssey Versa 1W

Gravedigger post... funny how I was the last one to post in this thread previously too, and almost 2 years ago.

Due to extended struggles with the putter, I threw the 330M in the bag this past week on a whim and had one of the best putting rounds in recent memory. Granted, I've been putting so badly that the bar was set low to begin with. Had seven 1-putts between 3 to 8 feet, and narrowly missed a few more, including leaving two 8-10 footers dead center short.

I had initially dumped the Tank because of lag putting and while that's still somewhat of an issue, I noted that as my putting got worse, my grip pressure got tighter. And as my grip pressure got tighter, my putting got worse. And so on. With more focus on lighter grip pressure and moving to 10 gram weights in the head and just the plug in the grip, I'm starting to see some improvement in speed control and touch.

Glad you are finding your way back on the putting greens!

Mine is not currently in the bag, but b/c of that putter I purchased a versa 2 ball Tank. I don't like the feel of the black insert as much as I do with the white hot insert, but I like the way the versa colors frame the hole/ball a bit more, and my stroke with the 2 ball seems a bit more stable than the stroke with the #7. Either way, b/c of the tank cruiser, the only putters that find my bag are now counterbalanced heavy putters :D

Thanks. There is something about the stability of the putter that worked really well, as it did in the past. Now that I have a better, renewed grasp on feel, I'm hoping my putting will improve over the long haul.

Toulon Palm Beach