I cant putt!!! I need help reading greens and judging distance.

ge0vis

I cant putt!!! I need help reading greens and judging distance. I just purchased a nice scotty cameron and my stroke is smooth. Anyone have any good tips on working on this aspect of my game. I could save so many strokes just from fixing this! Please help!

PS: I've watched the aimpoint and aimpoint express commercials on youtube. Does that work?

Cobra King LTD Pro - Project X black Stiff
Srixon 545 5-pw - Nippon Stiff
Titleist SM6 50, 54, 58 Stiff
Byron Morgan DH89

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Geo,

Could be a couple of things going on... one being you may be reading better than you think but the putting motion is introducing lots of conflict. Several folks have submitted video of themselves from DTL and FO and lots of help has come their way. The DTL would need to be about waist high with ball in line with the cup.

As to reading... there are tons of drills, blogs, suggestions that cover the gamut from feeling the putt with your feet, looking at grain, reading and formulating ideas from off the green as you approach....

There is a book I read about three months ago... have read lots of them... but I liked the way this one spoke to how various styles of putting work, how to get the ball rolling well whichever style you chose... and how to read greens. Its called the 3-Degree Putting Solution by Michael Breed. First one or two chapters were a little bit of a yawning experience for me... but the facts and clear options really began to shine as I read on. I would highly recommend it.

[quote name='sompin2do' timestamp='1405126204' post='9683881']
Aimpoint works. I did the mid read clinic about a year ago and Express about a month ago. Like Express better.
[/quote]

+1
I've done both Aimpoint classes and like the Express method better. I'd highly recommend it. However, Aimpoint only works if you can hit the ball to your intended read. So if you have problems with consistency you will need to work on that as well

[quote name='Reasonability' timestamp='1405118635' post='9683261']
Geo,

Could be a couple of things going on... one being you may be reading better than you think but the putting motion is introducing lots of conflict. Several folks have submitted video of themselves from DTL and FO and lots of help has come their way. The DTL would need to be about waist high with ball in line with the cup.

As to reading... there are tons of drills, blogs, suggestions that cover the gamut from feeling the putt with your feet, looking at grain, reading and formulating ideas from off the green as you approach....

There is a book I read about three months ago... have read lots of them... but I liked the way this one spoke to how various styles of putting work, how to get the ball rolling well whichever style you chose... and how to read greens. Its called the 3-Degree Putting Solution by Michael Breed. First one or two chapters were a little bit of a yawning experience for me... but the facts and clear options really began to shine as I read on. I would highly recommend it.
[/quote]

I might just read that book anything to help read the greens better.

Byron Morgan DH89

[quote name='Floratine' timestamp='1405343266' post='9696323']
Find someone local who teaches AimPoint. I was a decent putter prior to AP but after taking the Express class my confidence is on a whole other level. There's no more guesswork, its the t$ts!
[/quote]

This is what i was looking for! I looked on the aimpoint website and everything there was far away. So what you're saying is that local instructors also teach aimpoint? How do i find them?

Byron Morgan DH89

Regarding judging distance only: there really is no substitute for practice (or playing). The same goes for all sports. (How to judge distance/touch when shooting baskets for example.) So go the practice green, take 3 balls out (or whatever suits you), and practice long putts of various types. Make the priority your distance control and not the line. The line will become apparant after one or two putts anyway.

When on the course, a look from the side (Dave Stockton method) can give one a better perspective on the distance of the putt because depth perception is not as good if you are just looking from behind. At least it's worked for me. In my experience, poor putters often freeze over putts, stare down at the ball too long, lose contact/feel with the hole and distance, i.e., take too long to pull the trigger.

Putting is very individualistic and Jack Nicklaus in his prime did the opposite of what I suggest and he had great results. So experiment a little and find what works best for you. The best way to gain confidence is through practice.

Good luck

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

I'm not trying to poke fun, but you're saying "purchased a Scotty Cameron" and "my stroke is smooth" as if they mean anything.

Then, it sounds like you're looking for the quick fix that aimpoint promises (or at least that people think aimpoint promises).

You won't get many guarantees in this game, but here's one. . . go practice your putting at least an hour a week on an outdoor green for the next 3 months, and then get back to us on October 14th. I GUARANTEE your "reading greens" and "judging distance" will have improved.

I'd also recommend reading Bob Rotella's "Putting out of your mind". I bet it will help you more than an aimpoint clinic and you can probably get a used copy for $3 if you look around.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Aim Point is good but it is not the Holy Grail. Books are good but they can't be the perfect answer if "you can probably get a used copy for $3 if you look around". (No offense, TheCityGame)

My point is that there is no substitute for a trained professional eye.

If you really are serious about improving your putting you need to find a teacher/coach that can help guide you to a better stroke, better touch, and better psychological outlook.

Ron Stelten

This is a topic that hits close to home for me. I am CONSTANTLY leaving the ball to one side of the hole, or the other. I'll often lip out on putts as well. I'd say this happens from over ten feet. Inside ten feet is not typically a problem.

I went from bent grass to Poa. THAT is a CHALLENGE. I was a mess for the start of the season.

So I went to my pro, and he gave me some drills to work on.

The biggest issue that people have, he says, is they practice putts that are typically straight, and usually from ten feet or so.

So we set up tees to mark off a 10' putt, 20' putt, and 30' putt. Your goal is to make the 30' in two putts, the 20' to lag within a foot, and to make the 10 footer. You start at 10' and proceed to the longer putts. If you miss one of the goals, you start the beginning.

This really helped me with lag and reading the breaks, as the putts are not all flat.

I'm sure there are lots of other drills though. Just Google it. Lots of results come up for putting drills.

Driver- 913D2 w/Aldila Tour Green 65x
3-Wood- Titleist 913Fd w/Kai'li 80x
Hybrid- Titleist 913h w/Talamonti HTS85X
Irons- Titleist 714 AP2 4-W w/XP95
Wedges- Vokey SM5 Black 54*, 58*
Putter- 2014 Scotty Cameron GoLo 3
WITB Link

The other thing I forgot to mention.

If you are not a member at a club, and play many different courses, I find being able to judge the speed and break is almost an uphill battle. Different types of grass and different conditions really throw me off. It really gives me a sense of appreciation for the guys on Tour, who travel to different locations on a weekly basis...

WITB Link

I firmly believe that anyone can and will learn to roll the ball the correct distance if they first learn to make consistent putter ball contact. As long as where you hit the ball on the putter face is a variable your natural athletic ability cannot work to match the stroke to the distance. Think for a moment of the success you have tossing a ball under hand to a playing companion. You don't toss it 10 feet short or over his head, you toss it right to him. Why? Because your natural athletic ability dictates who hard to swing your arm and club ball contact is not a variable when the ball is in your hand.

Locate the sweet spot on your putter, get some impact tape and make it your business to hit every putt on the sweet spot, and distance control problems will disappear.

Steve

[quote name='juststeve' timestamp='1405350170' post='9697005']
I firmly believe that anyone can and will learn to roll the ball the correct distance if they first learn to make consistent putter ball contact. As long as where you hit the ball on the putter face is a variable your natural athletic ability cannot work to match the stroke to the distance. Think for a moment of the success you have tossing a ball under hand to a playing companion. You don't toss it 10 feet short or over his head, you toss it right to him. Why? Because your natural athletic ability dictates who hard to swing your arm and club ball contact is not a variable when the ball is in your hand.

Locate the sweet spot on your putter, get some impact tape and make it your business to hit every putt on the sweet spot, and distance control problems will disappear.

Steve
[/quote]

Well....In theory yes...BUT...Part of distance control, is being able to read how much uphill/downhill the line is between your ball and the hole. Being able to throw the ball underhand to your partner, has no altering variables...Unless of course he is moving or you're in a tornado. :cheesy:

WITB Link

[quote name='TMFan11' timestamp='1405350760' post='9697079']

Steve
[/quote]

Well....In theory yes...BUT...Part of distance control, is being able to read how much uphill/downhill the line is between your ball and the hole. Being able to throw the ball underhand to your partner, has no altering variables...Unless of course he is moving or you're in a tornado. :cheesy:
[/quote]Yeah, but you can throw a baseball, a golf ball, a rock, a pencil to your partner, and you can do it in the wind, and you can do it if either one of you -- or both -- is moving. You've "read" the throw. That's "feel". That's "athletic" and we do it naturally, and I think you should be able to get your putting there through practice.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

As mentioned - gotta get on a real green and putt with some regularity. I used to be a better putter - at my old office there was a course right next to it so 2 or 3 times each week I used my lunch break to walk over and plop 3 balls down and just work my way around the practice area. I switched offices and I am no longer able to practice like that - and my putting isnt as good as it used to be.

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

[quote name='TheCityGame' timestamp='1405351016' post='9697107']
[quote name='TMFan11' timestamp='1405350760' post='9697079']

Steve
[/quote]

[/quote]Yeah, but you can throw a baseball, a golf ball, a rock, a pencil to your partner, and you can do it in the wind, and you can do it if either one of you -- or both -- is moving. You've "read" the throw. That's "feel". That's "athletic" and we do it naturally, and I think you should be able to get your putting there through practice.
[/quote]

I guess it's more of a physics thing, than athletic thing in my opinion.

I do agree that with practice, you SHOULD be able to judge lag etc.

But there are so many variables when rolling a ball on the ground that is not the same from hole to hole. If you don't know how to read a right to left uphill putt, which will break more than a downhill putt when it runs out of speed, then you don't know how to practice that putt.

If you putt ten times on a flat green, with no undulation, odds are that after some attempts, you will make the putt. Unless of course you were not paying any attention to the previous putts.

The same could be said for the same left to right putt. But when you play a round of golf, how often do you have the same putt? I'd venture a guess and say almost never.

WITB Link

whoa whoa whoa lets get back to the focus i think i will work putting drills on lunch i have a course right next to me. My putting distance when I practice seems to be good after a couple of putts. The problem is when i walk up to a new hole on a course i have to judge the lie, the slope, the break, my aim point, etc all right then and there. I was hoping someone could share how their approach to reading the green as you approach it. I try and do it but it takes a long time then my buddies rush me or say something then i freeze over the putt. Its all mental but id like to be more confident in my analysis of reading a green as I walk up to the green.

Byron Morgan DH89

[quote][color=#282828]The problem is when i walk up to a new hole on a course i have to judge the lie, the slope, the break, my aim point, etc all right then and there. [/color][/quote]

This is exactly what I was explaining......

Every putt is different, so you need to know HOW to read a green, rather than the athletic ability to make the putt.

Not to mention, there are different techniques for different types of grass. There's no grain in POA for example....

In any case. If you find something that helps you, please share it.

WITB Link

Yes I will TMFan11![size=4] This is how I look at a green right now. I look at the tallest part of the green and the lowest part of the green. Then I look to see where my ball is located and where the hole is to analyze uphill/downhill. Then I look from behind the ball and look for a break. Then I imagine theres a line on the ground and line my ball up to the imaginary line.(I've recently tried to line up the ball to a spot closer to me where I think my line is and line the ball up to that) I stand next to my ball and do a practice stroke for distance and then tell myself to line up the putter over the ball and just hit it. I do freeze sometimes still overthinking the putt standing over the ball, but mostly under pressure. [/size]

[size=4]M[/size][size=4]y putting is inconsistent, my reads or only correct if the break is very obvious. I have a long way to go. Wonder how everyone else aproaches their putts?????????????[/size]

Byron Morgan DH89