2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Tour Edge Exotics CB5 versus XCG7 Beta Fairway

Kxwayne

I have done a lot of research on this topic, to no avail. I'm looking to get my first TEE fairway wood (specifically 16.5*). I am stuck between the CB5 and XCG7 Beta. How do the two compare? I would like to know which one would be more "tour-preferred", easy to work, longer, etc. If anyone can shed some light on this I would be very grateful! I know there are newer models out, but I'm sold on one of these two I think, and will be my first TEE club!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you can go wrong either way. the XCG family typically launch higher and have slightly larger heads than the CB's, but the 7 is stated to be slightly lower launching. I play a CB5 and love that thing. The CB4 is also very similar so you can save a little money if you go that way.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

CB4/CB5 would be my reco. I find the XCG series to be too shallow in the face. I much prefer the head profile of the CB's.

Titleist TS2 9.5* Diamana S+ 60 LTD
TItleist 917F2 16.5* Diamana S+ 70 LTD
Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i Modus 120 -OR- TM V Steel 7W 21* NV 75
Ping i210 4-UW DG 120
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* & 60* SS
Scotty Cameron California Monterey 1.5

CB is geared more towards players looking for an off the tee 3 wood. XCG7 is more of an all around club. The beta stands a little taller than previous models. I'd suggest the CB4 or 5 but the final factor is where you'll hit it most

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
Adams MB2 GW
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]

CB5 without a doubt based on your question. Xcg line is great too. Skip both and go for the E8 beta model.

Titleist TSR3 10* Diamana GT 60
Titleist TSR3 15* Diamana GT 70
Titleist 816 H2 19* Fubuki AV400
Mizuno MP 241 DG AMT Tour White S300
Mizuno T24 Raw 50.54,58 DGTI S400
Bettinardi SS28 Tour

I'm a low ball hitter and play a CB5 15* (currently). I previously used a CB3 and then CB4. The CB5 is awesome off the tee but I'm also not afraid to bashing the thing off the fairway as long as I have a clean lie. The leading edge sole design helps the club glide across the turf and not dig. Great great club. I briefly tried a X2 Hot but quickly ran back to my CB. As mentioned, the CB4 is very similar to the 5, but slightly cheaper on the secondary market. CB3 is also long but the head is slightly smaller so not a direct comparison like the 4/5.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I can't speak for the XCG series, but the CB5 is awesome. I don't think you'd be disappointed at all if you went that way. The face depth is just good to my eye, it's a blast to crush it off the turf. I don't really hit a 3 wood out of the rough most of the time anyway due to "decision making" but that's where it might not be quite as good as the XCG.

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font][/size]

I have hit both and I just preferred the CB5 look and deeper face. The XCG7 definitely launched higher.. Only thing I had to change out was the shaft since I prefer a heavier club.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='joey2aces' timestamp='1422543974' post='10840823']
I have hit both and I just preferred the CB5 look and deeper face. The XCG7 definitely launched higher.. Only thing I had to change out was the shaft since I prefer a heavier club.
[/quote]

I found a great deal on a xcg7 beta with an Attus 7x extra stiff shaft. However, I hit the ball very high so if it's higher launching (the shaft is known to be a higher launch shaft as well), then I may opt against it and try and find a cb5. Thanks!

I replaced my cb4 with a cb5 when they came out and went back to the cb4 after a month. I am giving the xcg7 beta a go now and really like it.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Ping G30 LS Tec 10.5*, Tour 65[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Ping Anser 14.5* fairway [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Ping Anser 17*, 20* Hybrids[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Ping G30 4-SW, CFS [/size][/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=3]Mack Daddy PM grind 58*[/size][/color][/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=3]Ping CTR Tomcat C heavy 34"[/size][/color][/font]

I've gamed cb4 and cb5. Both are nice but I didn't see a huge difference between the two. I found I hit both a long way, both good off the tee but neither performed well off the fairway for me. Both tended to fly high, but I think that was more due to the stock shafts. I'm using the xcg7 beta now and I find I hit about the same distance as the cb's, maybe a touch longer off the tee, but it doesn't balloon on me when I hit it into the breeze and I have an easier time with it off the fairway.

I have CB5 3 and 5 woods (15* and 18*). These things are awesome!

They are long, much more forgiving than other clubs with the same footprint, and they perform great for me off the tee or the ground.

I took a look at the XCG7 and Beta, but the heads were just too big for me.

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I play the CB4 15*. I am a slower swinging player, but I have absolutely no problem hitting this club. It goes almost as far as driver, and is extremely workable as it has one of the most appealing heads at address of all the woods. I've hit the CB5, and I feel that has a slightly shallower face, although I've never compared them directly. At my home course, I've been forced to hit low stinging cuts and high draws and have been able to do both with this club. I previously played the SLDR and Razr Fit Xtreme and the CB4 outshined them in all my aspects. Not to mention the fact that I picked up my second one on this site for $40.

TEI3 Santa Fe Flatso Mid
Big Bertha Alpha 9.0*
TEE CB Pro 15*
TEE CB Pro 19*
M1 22* Hybrid
Srixon 975 5-PW KBS Tour C-Taper Lite
Mizuno MP T12 50 55 60 KBS Tour C-Taper Lite

after having 3 different cb5 heads, came back to the cb4 without hesitation. for me it was turf interaction, cb4 just slides through so easy and is so easy to hit off the deck and so long off the tee. the 16.5 is perfect for either, I carry the 13 degree as almost a mini driver but still just as easy to hit off the deck as well, even for a 13 degree. would love to have the cb4 with the matte finish of the beta though, that would be the ultimate fairway. The E8 is on the wish list since it almost the combination of the two series, the E8 tour anyway..

Ping G430 9 Lst Tour AD Iz-6s

Tour Issue M2 3HL Tour AD Tp 7s

Adams 21* Super Hybrid Motore 7.3 TS

T200 5-Pw Matrix Program 130

Vokey SM9 48, TP ATV 54 n 60 S400

TI Tour black spider

You can see in my signature what works for me and I just picked up an 11.5 xcg7 beta to use on tighter courses. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Hit what fits your eye and performs the best.

All Clubs subject to change relative to my last bad round of golf......

OP it looks like you have no choice but to buy both and report back. Sell one.

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font][/size]

[quote name='pierso2' timestamp='1422540280' post='10840447']
CB is geared more towards players looking for an off the tee 3 wood. XCG7 is more of an all around club. The beta stands a little taller than previous models. I'd suggest the CB4 or 5 but the final factor is where you'll hit it most
[/quote]tend to agree. ....have had quite a few of these and currently have a cb5....havnt hit this one as good as others....off tee it can be really good off the fairway not so much.....this one has been hit and miss for me.....xcg series was better all around and just as long....I am moving back to xcg soon....cb requires a better strike and more precision for sure

Fell in love the TEE XCG7 Beta. I bought the 16.5* 4 wood, then decided I should own all three FWs, 15* and 18* so I can play two different top of the bag setups.

Titleist 915 D2, Motore Speeder 661

TEE XCG-7 Beta 16.5*, Ozik Red Tie 7Q3 or TaylorMade RBZ 15* w/Ozik Red Tie 7Q3

Adams Idea A12 Hybrid (21), D+ HY92
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, KBS C-Taper S+
Vokey Spin Mill, 50, 56 (bent to 55), 60
Odyssey Versa 90 #7 (White/Black)

Here we go again...

I read this thread the other day and it got my attention. I've been playing the cb4 for over 2 years (both 15* and 16.5*). I had a short stint with the cb5 last year, but as many others have said, it wasn't better than the cb4 (close call). So today when I'm doing my weekly carousing of the PGA superstore I see a xcg7 beta marked down. I hit it in the simulator and loved the way it felt. Had a store credit, so I did what any good Wrxer would do and walked out of the store with it!

I'm interested to see how it performs in real world conditions and particularly off the deck! I will be reporting back...

Taylormade SIM 9*- Accra
Taylormade SIM Max D 16*- Accra
SIM hybrid 19* 
Taylormade P760 4-PW
Vokey SM7: 50, 55, 60*
Spider X Plumbers 33.5"