Denver area club fitter recommendations.

rkrech

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used D'Lance for a lot of stuff over the last several years with no complaints. PJ has been good to work with, and I've learned enough now that it's really helpful in what types of shafts, swingweights, etc. work well for me. I can just take a club in and tell them what I want and it turns out to spec, so it works for me.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='PhocusOne' timestamp='1424806001' post='11019691']
I highly recommend Dan Weitzel of www.weitzelgolf.com

I had been looking for a solid fitter for a while around denver. He is very reasonable in terms of pricing and he is very knowledgeable.

I highly recommend him.

Hope you find what you are looking for!
[/quote]

I second Dan. He knows his stuff. I have been playing golf for three years. Bought callaway apex irons at pga superstore they put me in 90 gram stiff flex an inch over standard. Dan put me in 120 gram kbs tour stiff flex 1/4" over standard, that changed my ball striking completely, for the better. That was the first time I could actually feel where the club was, I started to slow down and started hitting the ball farther. Granted i try to hit balls everyday and my ball striking is night and day from three years ago, the irons i have now have helped that process. I also know that a lot of very good players use Dan, and if you are not a plus 3 he will still treat you just the same.

On a side note does any one in Denver or even Colorado have the ability to hotmelt a driver head? I have a Cobra bio cell+ and i can't tip weight it enough and there is no way to add more weight, via weight ports, like the other adjustable drivers. The spin numbers are just so good on it I don't want to get anything else. This is a at home project to satisfy my constant tinkering urge, since I never mess with my irons and wedges. 44" is the max length for me to make good center face strikes, and I am gonna use a 55 gram accra z tour shaft. So at 43.75" or 44" i am going to have to get some head weight back on, and really don't want lead tape unless i have to. Also has anyone mailed heads off and if so who did you use?

[quote name='ccn' timestamp='1426737052' post='11171141']
On a side note does any one in Denver or even Colorado have the ability to hotmelt a driver head? I have a Cobra bio cell+ and i can't tip weight it enough and there is no way to add more weight, via weight ports, like the other adjustable drivers. The spin numbers are just so good on it I don't want to get anything else. This is a at home project to satisfy my constant tinkering urge, since I never mess with my irons and wedges. 44" is the max length for me to make good center face strikes, and I am gonna use a 55 gram accra z tour shaft. So at 43.75" or 44" i am going to have to get some head weight back on, and really don't want lead tape unless i have to. Also has anyone mailed heads off and if so who did you use?
[/quote]yes D'Lance will do it, and if you want to send it off Will Peoples is really good.

[quote name='rkrech' timestamp='1424292596' post='10980001']
Gott golf at green valley ranch was disappointing.

[/quote]

+1 I had a terrible experience with them... will not recommend them to anyone.

A friend ([i]scratch golfer.. noting for reasons[/i]) uses D'Lance and has been very happy but I have other friends that are 12-15 Hdcp's and they have not been happy. I am not sure but based on what I can tell D'Lance is great for better player with consistent swing. I agree with the comment on being expensive. I do know I called about a shaft change in a couple of irons (3 of them) to test and it was 30% + more than a couple of other good builders and it was 2 weeks to do. Of course the season is starting up so they could just really busy.

I have heard good things about Dan Weitzel but I don't know much about him.

Dan is personable.
He deals with high handicaps and single digits.
It's nice because I don't feel like I'm just another $ to him.
He takes pride in what he does, not the money he makes.
Flexible hours and willing to work with you - I've dropped clubs off when he isn't home to adjust for me and I pick them up when I can, even if he isn't home.
Great experience! Highly recommend him! Give him a call and see for yourself

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='PhocusOne' timestamp='1424806001' post='11019691']

I had been looking for a solid fitter for a while around denver. He is very reasonable in terms of pricing and he is very knowledgeable.

I highly recommend him.

[/quote]
I'll second Dan Weitzel.

He just helped me with my iron shafts and gave me a great deal on some Steelfibers...nice guy and does great work....

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

[quote name='denvergolf' timestamp='1426738663' post='11171239']
[quote name='ccn' timestamp='1426737052' post='11171141']
[/quote]yes D'Lance will do it, and if you want to send it off Will Peoples is really good.
[/quote]
Thanks!

[quote name='Chile Dip Master' timestamp='1426886784' post='11182015']

[/quote]

A friend ([i]scratch golfer.. noting for reasons[/i]) uses D'Lance and has been very happy but I have other friends that are like 12-15 Hdcp's and they have not been happy. I am not sure but based on what I can tell D'Lance is great for better player with consistent swing. I agree with the comment on being expensive. I do know I called about a shaft change in a couple of irons (3 of them) to test and it was 30% + more than a couple of other good builders and it was 2 weeks to do. Of course the season is starting up so they could just really busy.

[/quote]

Be interested to hear your feedback on Gott Golf. Decided not to go there last year after I found out they only carried and fit certain brands. No KBS. No Mitsubishi. Only fit what they have and that's basically Fuji and True Temper.

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

I was told by the owner he could fit titleist when I called to make an appointment. Shows titleist on their website even. Go and they try to fit me with calloway....??? He knew I owned 714 ap2s and wanted to check the shafts and see if somthing would fit better. Not once did he say he can not fit me in my irons. It was a complete lie from the start. Sad and disappointed.

[quote name='Chile Dip Master' timestamp='1430324083' post='11466041']
I was told by the owner he could fit titleist when I called to make an appointment. Shows titleist on their website even. Go and they try to fit me with calloway....??? He knew I owner 714 ap2s and wanted to check the shafts and see if somthing would fit better. Not once did he say he can not fit me in my irons. It was a complete lie from the start. Sad and disappointed.
[/quote]

I got the impression they only carried a few brands and tried to fit you into what they had. IMO, you can't be objective when you fit that way. I realize places might not be able to carry EVERY brand, but especially shafts you can be a dealer and just order what you need.

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

I've been fit for a few things at D'Lance, mostly drivers. I'm torn on them. I think they're nice people and know their stuff, but I think their prices are fairly steep. My last driver fitting was marked up quite a bit on the shaft. I can't remember the specifics, but it was a bit ridiculous.

I'm interested in researching Dan Weitzel though since I may be in the market for new irons out of hoe'ness.

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

[quote name='james_c' timestamp='1430410706' post='11473577']
Does anyone have experience with fittings at Fossil Trace? Their website says the fit for Titleist, Nike, Ping, Mizuno, Callaway and Cobra.
[/quote]

Have not, a friend did and said it was pretty good but standard cart fitting. At least you will be able to hit outdoors, which to me is key as I like to see ball flight.

[quote name='thaar' timestamp='1430939145' post='11511401']
I've been fit for a few things at D'Lance, mostly drivers. I'm torn on them. I think they're nice people and know their stuff, but I think their prices are fairly steep. My last driver fitting was marked up quite a bit on the shaft. I can't remember the specifics, but it was a bit ridiculous.

I'm interested in researching Dan Weitzel though since I may be in the market for new irons out of hoe'ness.
[/quote]

Dan is great. He works out of his house and has a setup to test in his garage but can also take his flight monitor to a range also I think. He knows what he is doing. Also he got his HOGAN irons in....very nice to hit.

[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1430324301' post='11466079']
[quote name='Chile Dip Master' timestamp='1430324083' post='11466041']
I was told by the owner he could fit titleist when I called to make an appointment. Shows titleist on their website even. Go and they try to fit me with calloway....??? He knew I owner 714 ap2s and wanted to check the shafts and see if somthing would fit better. Not once did he say he can not fit me in my irons. It was a complete lie from the start. Sad and disappointed.
[/quote]

I got the impression they only carried a few brands and tried to fit you into what they had. IMO, you can't be objective when you fit that way. I realize places might not be able to carry EVERY brand, but especially shafts you can be a dealer and just order what you need.
[/quote]

Well they do only carry a few brands. I was more upset with I was told they could fit me in Titleist, list it on the website and they don't even carry them??? I suppose technically they could estimate it ... LOL Honestly it came down to telling me one thing and more or less lying to me.

[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1430279423' post='11463201']
[quote name='Chile Dip Master' timestamp='1426886784' post='11182015']

[/quote]

A friend ([i]scratch golfer.. noting for reasons[/i]) uses D'Lance and has been very happy but I have other friends that are like 12-15 Hdcp's and they have not been happy. I am not sure but based on what I can tell D'Lance is great for better player with consistent swing. I agree with the comment on being expensive. I do know I called about a shaft change in a couple of irons (3 of them) to test and it was 30% + more than a couple of other good builders and it was 2 weeks to do. Of course the season is starting up so they could just really busy.

[/quote]

Be interested to hear your feedback on Gott Golf. Decided not to go there last year after I found out they only carried and fit certain brands. No KBS. No Mitsubishi. Only fit what they have and that's basically Fuji and True Temper.
[/quote]

My experience with Gott was exceptionally disappointing. Over the phone he told me they had all the brands I wanted to compare in my driver fitting. I told him I was worried about the weather and he said not to worry as they hit out of heated bays. Well, I show up and he says they cant open the bay doors if its below 45. So I drove home (30 mins) and came back a week later. A call would have been nice since he did have my number.

When we went through my fitting he did have a good selection of brands. But I wasn't able to hit the same shaft in each club. Not even the same shaft in two clubs. Unable to compare apples to apples. At the end of it he said hes going to transition to a Callaway performance center. No surprise he sold the Callaway driver very hard. I really wanted to hit the graphite design tour ADDI. His response was "why? you don't see Tiger hitting fairways with it". I actually liked it from hitting a friends driver. Anyhow, after a strong sales pitch about the head not making a difference, him pushing the monitor numbers on the Callaway, and pricing the Callaway cheaper, I went ahead and bought it. I played the driver for one season and hated it. Missed more fairways than I have in a long time. I'm a 9 hcp and the tee ball is a strength of my game. I ended up getting fit by a friend in San Diego. Best numbers and flight came with a Titleist 913 D3 with a Graphite Design Tour ADDI. SHOCKER!!!! I couldn't happier with my current driver.

Never again. Wasted $400 on a driver that I ended up giving to a friend. He seemed generally sloppy and more of salesman. My wife was also fit that for irons that day. She is a high hcp and seems happy with her irons. But I don't think she has the same expectations as I do.

I wanted to reply about Gott Golf-- I've had several fittings there, and I thought a different perspective would be warranted.

The guy's name there--I think it's Bryan--but he is one of the best club fitters I've ever worked with, and he has an immensely loyal following. I was recommended to him from a competitive playing group that all use and trust him. His knowledge about how to fit was a breath of fresh air to me--it wasn't just the common buzz words and hitting into a launch monitor. His idea, as he explained it to me, is that you must look at the path of the ball in a fitting to get any real insight about how your equipment and your swing are interacting. And sure enough, he started out working the equipment that I came to look at, and very skillfully used different components to get my ball flying higher, and then straighter. When we were done, I was extremely impressed with what he was able to do and how deeply he could talk to me about the components and what was happening with each one (and even the difference between, for example, the shafts in production clubs versus those that the fitters have access to).

When the fitting was over, there were a few options for me based on what got my ball higher and straighter. He didn't' push for one setup or another and I never felt I was being pushed into a sale. I've been back to him a few times, now, and I as someone who has been fit from top fitters in multiple areas of the USA (California, Florida, Colorado), I'd put Bryan up there as one of the best at what he does.

I have nothing bad to say about D'Lance at all--he's always been very friendly with me--other than the fact that their markup is unbelievably high, and I didn't always find that their fitting off of the monitors would replicate the same way on the course. That could have been my error as much as his--I just hit off of mats very differently than I hit on the course. But Bryan, however, did away with that dynamic for me as I was able to be fit to the flight of the ball and not just to my swing on a monitor (though Bryan used a launch monitor as well). My fitting at Gott translated directly to the course, and I can't be more pleased.

Just another perspective to add to the mix.

[quote name='JackParrish' timestamp='1431973083' post='11580072']
I wanted to reply about Gott Golf-- I've had several fittings there, and I thought a different perspective would be warranted.

The guy's name there--I think it's Bryan--but he is one of the best club fitters I've ever worked with, and he has an immensely loyal following. I was recommended to him from a competitive playing group that all use and trust him. His knowledge about how to fit was a breath of fresh air to me--it wasn't just the common buzz words and hitting into a launch monitor. His idea, as he explained it to me, is that you must look at the path of the ball in a fitting to get any real insight about how your equipment and your swing are interacting. And sure enough, he started out working the equipment that I came to look at, and very skillfully used different components to get my ball flying higher, and then straighter. When we were done, I was extremely impressed with what he was able to do and how deeply he could talk to me about the components and what was happening with each one (and even the difference between, for example, the shafts in production clubs versus those that the fitters have access to).

When the fitting was over, there were a few options for me based on what got my ball higher and straighter. He didn't' push for one setup or another and I never felt I was being pushed into a sale. I've been back to him a few times, now, and I as someone who has been fit from top fitters in multiple areas of the USA (California, Florida, Colorado), I'd put Bryan up there as one of the best at what he does.

I have nothing bad to say about D'Lance at all--he's always been very friendly with me--other than the fact that their markup is unbelievably high, and I didn't always find that their fitting off of the monitors would replicate the same way on the course. That could have been my error as much as his--I just hit off of mats very differently than I hit on the course. But Bryan, however, did away with that dynamic for me as I was able to be fit to the flight of the ball and not just to my swing on a monitor (though Bryan used a launch monitor as well). My fitting at Gott translated directly to the course, and I can't be more pleased.

Just another perspective to add to the mix.
[/quote]

+1 - I agree with what he is saying here.

Gott Golf has fit me for my entire bag and could not be happier. The facilities at Gott Golf are top notch. There I had the ability to actually see the ball flight and how different shaft and head combinations changed that flight, as opposed to hitting into a net inside at other locations. That information along with the launch monitor data sold me on the fitting experience. Most importantly this translated into a better fitting, better performing equipment, that has lowered my scores, and best of all added to my enjoyment of the game. Just recently I took an aimpoint express class from Brian and again found him to be extremely professional and knowledgeable, and would highly recommend them for a fitting or aimpoint class.

I have sent my brother and brother in-law (both accomplished golfers) and several friends to him for driver and iron fittings, and all of them have been extremely happy with the results and performance of their new clubs.

After reading the reviews of Gott Golf I wanted to chime in, because I didn't feel that they accurately reflect the experience I've had, or for that matter, anyone I know has had there. If you are in the Denver metro area and looking for a high quality fitting you need to check them out.

[quote name='seven dewey' timestamp='1431457696' post='11546594']
I'm very tempted to get fit for a putter. A lot of people on this site seem to say getting fit for an Edel was life changing for them. Looks like Metagolf is the only place in Denver that does that.
[/quote]

I'm really interested in an Edel fitting as well. I've read great things, but am hesitant as the reviews I've read aren't from around here. Be sure to post if you end up getting fit or get any additional information on MetaGolf.

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

will do. I was going to set one up this week, but I scored a $45 used Bettinardi at PGA SS last Thursday. I've never tried a center shafted putter before....so far my results have been pretty good on short putts but I need to work on my lag putting. I'm going to give it a couple more weeks and then see if I want to do a fitting.

BTW it is $120 ($60 if you end up ordering a putter through Edel) over at Metagolf for the fitting.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

• 7 months later...

I highly recommend him.

I second Dan. He knows his stuff. I have been playing golf for three years. Bought callaway apex irons at pga superstore they put me in 90 gram stiff flex an inch over standard. Dan put me in 120 gram kbs tour stiff flex 1/4" over standard, that changed my ball striking completely, for the better. That was the first time I could actually feel where the club was, I started to slow down and started hitting the ball farther. Granted i try to hit balls everyday and my ball striking is night and day from three years ago, the irons i have now have helped that process. I also know that a lot of very good players use Dan, and if you are not a plus 3 he will still treat you just the same.

Resurrecting this to also recommend Dan. He's delivering a full bag to me next week. I'll post more when he does, with a little walk-through of the process, but as far as I'm concerned, I've found my guy here in the Denver area. Friendly, smart, and accommodating. That last line about treating you the same as a plus 3 is undeniably true.

Brian - I'm with you. Just dropped all my clubs off to Dan for some work. I can't say enough nice things about the guy.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+