side saddle putters - what putter are you using?

Comments

• hardpan1hardpan1 Members  124WRX Points: 117Handicap: 4.5Posts: 124 Fairways
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • gmsgolfgmsgolf Members  3WRX Points: 5Posts: 3 Starters

Hi guys,

Really interesting thread - thanks for all the feedback and input! Does anyone know if Juan is still in business with his Juan Putt? I've tried to contact him directly without any success and Google says the company has been shut indefinitely... (perhaps it's just a virus thing)

Posted:
  • BigEx44BigEx44 Members  370WRX Points: 102Handicap: 9.2Posts: 370 Greens

I have a couple of mint condition Juan Putters if you're interested. One is 46". The other 48".

Posted:
  • J_TizzleJ_Tizzle Hello Members  3531WRX Points: 206Posts: 3,531 Titanium Tees

Juan makes good stuff, hopefully its just a virus thing and he'll get back to business as usual.

I will say, to me, the Juan was the least friendly for a 90* address position. So if thats something you're interested in doing, you might try out Bobby Grace or GP, they are the easiest for me to hold 90*.

Posted:
    G410 10.5* LST - just whatever at this point - F6 18* - G410 23* - i500 5-U - Glide Stealth 56* ( at 55*) and 60* - BG F22

https://Instagram/avgjoesgolf/
  • SpuggySpuggy Members  6WRX Points: 8Posts: 6 Bunkers

How did it work out with the lead tape on the GP putter and how much did you put on? I agree about the alignment, I would prefer the shaft of the GP putter to be a little farther back so a centre alignment line could be added. I have thought about trying to fashion some weight to sit neatly in the ball pick up cut out.

Posted:

Ya know it worked fine for the most part. I think what I found out is I actually like the weight the most about the putter, so I actually took 3 of the weights out of my F22 and think its a real winner for me. I just prefer the alignment and set up for it the most out of any side saddle I've used.

I did actually order some tungsten tape that I'm going to put on the GP putter just to give it a whirl because I'm stuck inside and bored, lol.

Posted:
    G410 10.5* LST - just whatever at this point - F6 18* - G410 23* - i500 5-U - Glide Stealth 56* ( at 55*) and 60* - BG F22

Advertisement
  • rexrohrexroh Members  549WRX Points: 120Posts: 549 Golden Tee

I put lead sheet (about 1/8 inch thick) under the GP putter. Increased head weight by about 100 grams.

This did improve performance for me but I prefer other putters I have for alignment. I prefer a slightly bigger head and longer single alignment line.

I did find though that having the head weight of about 500 grams sorted out my lag putting (long putts). It was just so much better no matter what putter is used.

To me now putter weight is very important. It is a matter of trial and error but putter weight, length and head style all have their contribution to the end result. I am thinking at the moment that the Back Strike or back A* ** putters may also give help for better alignment. I am working on an old Scotty Cameron Futura that has similar shaft connection. Time on the course will eventually resolve this.

Posted:
  • bluedotbluedot Members  3841WRX Points: 506Handicap: 7.5Posts: 3,841 Titanium Tees

I'm bumping this back to the front page, I hope; for some reason, I can't seem to search back in the putter forum.

Some of you might find a thread on the instruction forum interesting; the topic is parallax error in putting. I have a post in there about face on putting, and it is as if it doesn't exist. Not only did nobody express further interest, nobody called me an idiot; there was NO response at all. Which amazes me, and doesn't, all at the same time.

Also, fwiw, Bobby Grace is now making both a side saddle and an arm lock version of a putter called the Rising Son; the side saddle version is selling for $525, so I'll have to look forward to the reviews of others...

Posted:
    Posted:

I also got an email about the Rising Son, 4 inserts...couldn't find it on his website. $$$$+$ geesh

Posted:
  • marmadukmarmaduk Members  330WRX Points: 222Posts: 330 Greens

In conversations most people are not actually listening. They are just waiting until it is their turn to talk, express their opinions, and experiences. This goes for written communication as well as verbal.

Paralax error is very interesting. I’ve never heard it explained but I guess this is why I have found side saddle almost immediately effective for reading aim. I have very heavy stigmatism in my glasses prescription (straight lines are not straight and this is why it’s hard for me to read words at a distance) and I’ve always just thought my crap putting had to do with this.

Thanks for bringing this up @bluedot

Posted:
    WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
    http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/

Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.

Advertisement

I went and commented on your comment. Let's see if my comment on your comment gets a comment. 😉

Posted:

Anything happening on a new putter shaft? Been talking to my bud about it but haven't pulled the trigger, need Feedback 😎

Posted:

Anyone looking for 2 piece grips. I've about found the perfect set up.

The Tacki-Mac 2 piece grip you buy off eBay for like $7, then give it a good wrap of hockey tape. Its the PERFECT diameter (for me at least ).

Posted:

I received it a few weeks ago. I've spent a lot of time with it on the putting mat in my cellar. Have gotten outside to play 2 rounds with it so far. To date - I really like it! I feel like my putting has been better with this stability shaft - although it's a subjective feeling as I don't have any hard stats to support my gut feel. It has a different feel to it, but one I really like. Let me put it this way: I like the shaft enough that I'm going to put it in my other putter too!

Posted:
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • bluedotbluedot Members  3841WRX Points: 506Handicap: 7.5Posts: 3,841 Titanium Tees

Crickets...

This is one of the great puzzles of my life, really; it seems SO intuitive and so simple, and yet almost nobody changes. There is a guy in my regular group who just has a horrible problem with putting; yips, bad stroke, all of it, to the point that you CANNOT watch him putt, even if he's putting on the same line as the putt you'll have.

It sort of ruins the game for not only him, but for whomever is with him on a given day; he won't putt out due to embarrassment, he won't maintain a handicap, and so he won't play any sort of a game within the group or against other groups. Great guy, and he would putt better DAY ONE if he would face the hole; he's already using a longish putter and has his right hand down the shaft. But after watching me for over 4 years, he's not only never tried face on, he's never even had a conversation with me about it; it just blows my mind.

Posted:
  • SpuggySpuggy Members  6WRX Points: 8Posts: 6 Bunkers

Has anybody got a GP putter that hasn't been doctored, as I was wondering if when it arrived it was face balanced, I never checked mine when I got it. I have cut mine down a bit and put a cut down grip on and noticed it isn't face balanced now, I don't know if it is supposed to be. I had to apply 20gms of lead to one side to make it balance, just wondering if I needed to bother, if it wasn't faced balanced originally I will probably take it off.

Posted:
    Post edited by Spuggy on

I totally agree. It seems so intuitive and its so different from how most people putt, that its a more natural and a shock to the system. Like my normal putting stroke is SO BAD that I don't think I could ever correct it without ruining the fun of golf for me. SS has taken me from being an absolute putting liability to now I'm fairly solid with a putter in my hands. Its not an end all be all answer, you still have to practice and can have bad days, but I hit more putts that look like they should go in with a SS than I ever did with a normal putter.

I've told my older brother I'll happily help my nephews out and learn how to play, but if they do, I'm going to teach them to putt with a side saddle putter, and he won't let me do it, lol.

Posted:

I just checked my GP, which I've never doctored, and I don't think it is face balanced. It's a little hard to be sure because the face is so small, but I believe it has a little bit of heel hang, which is a bit unusual, I think. I also looked on the website, and I don't believe it says anything about face balanced.

Posted:

One of the things that got me interested, long before I actually converted, were the Dave Pelz story about the old guy grading out higher than anybody he'd ever seen, and Johnny Miller saying that he thought someday somebody would convert and come out and win on Tour.

But Randy Haag says it won't happen the way Miller thinks, and I think I agree with him; Haag thinks it would take a pro a year or so, even with dedicated practice, to be able to make the change and putt at Tour levels, and no pros are going to be able to afford to take that chance.

Haag thinks it'll be a young player who grew up putting face on that does it, which makes complete sense to me. So maybe one of your nephews could be that kid!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • marmadukmarmaduk Members  330WRX Points: 222Posts: 330 Greens

That’s a tough one because if not now, in this odd time of ours, then when? If DeChambeau only started SS now, he would have had plenty of practice time with no fear of revenue loss. Assuming he didn’t “anchor” it like he did previously.

Posted:
    WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
    http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/

Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.
  • bryanwmilburnbryanwmilburn Members  1487WRX Points: 59Posts: 1,487 Platinum Tees

Just out of curiosity - for those who have owned the Juan Putt and the BG F22, is the F22 exponentially better? I originally picked up the Juan putt on here to test it out but am really loving the technique so I'm kind of ready to go all in. The very high MOI of the F22 for the stability plus the alignment has me very intrigued. Just a lot of money to drop!

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G410 LST 9 w/ Accra RPG 762 M5+
    3 wood: TaylorMade RBZ Tour 3 wood 14.5 with Mitsubishi Tensei White Pro 75X
    Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 11 19 degrees with Alidla RIP 85X
    Irons: Mizuno MP20 HMB 3, MMC 5-6, MB 7-PW w/ KBS C Taper 130X
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX 4 50, 54 w/KBS 610 S+, TaylorMade Hi-Toe 62
    Putter: TBD
    Ball: Snell MTBX
  • brentflogbrentflog Members  96WRX Points: 45Handicap: 5Posts: 96 Fairways

I think it is all personal preference. There are things I like about both. I like the f22 shaft more but hate the forward press that is built in. If you hold the putter at 90 degrees then the f22 is better. There is nothing magical about the f22 unless it just suits your eye more.

Posted:
  • rexrohrexroh Members  549WRX Points: 120Posts: 549 Golden Tee

Spuggy Mine is heel balanced as well. I am sure it is because the way the shaft enters the head. It appears to start at middle but this means at centre mass it is toe side of middle. Hence the heel hang.

Posted:

on the above two items.

My GP is heel balanced, I do have a bunch of lead tape on it, but I like to think its even enough that its just how the putter is.

As for the F22 vs the Juan. To me, the goal of the SS is to hold the putter as close to 90* as you can, and when it comes to that, the F22 wins out way over the Juan. If you see the pictures of VJ's bag, he's using a Juan (or was) and had a ton of relief ground into it even to use it as a long putter. I like the Juan, but I think the F22 could seriously end up being THE classic SS if this ever takes off beyond this energetic and passionate group on WRX.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • bryanwmilburnbryanwmilburn Members  1487WRX Points: 59Posts: 1,487 Platinum Tees

Thanks for the feedback guys. How is the F22 on toe strikes? I understand a mishit is a mishit but in my brief work with the Juan putt I feel like it could be a bit more forgiving in toe strikes. I remember a video that TXG did and they said that Center shafted putters are a disaster zone because of the amount of deflection on both heel and toe strikes around the center shaft. That’s the only thing that worries me slightly about this putter and has me leaning F22 for the higher weight and MOI.

Posted:

I think the biggest advantage of the F22 (or any recent Bobby Grace putters for that matter) is the technology behind the putting face insert. So for me, the combination of the great MOI, the improved sightline/setup with the KA shaft AND the fantastic putter face technology has made the F22 the best putter I've ever owned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWpC5pXkt4c

Posted:

Wow! You sold me! That’s exactly what I’m looking for. That’s awesome. Thank you! Anybody that wants a 46” Juan Putt please let me know :)

Posted:

Advertisement

Anchoring wasn't his problem; his problem was that he was using a non-conforming putter. That aside, I still have NO idea what he was doing with the grip he was using; he took the most natural arm movement there is, and made it unnatural by the way he was holding the club, and he had to use a non-conforming putter to make it work. It was bizarre, but he's a pretty bizarre guy.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.