2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Tour Tempo

Tanner25

I started a book praising " tour tempo " , the last swing secret revealed. It talks about

the 3:1 ratio which every great golfer has in their swing. From Hogan to Tiger most everyone

has 27 (frames) going back / 9 (frames ) going through. So, a proper golf swing

is a 1/3 quicker going through. One of the odd things is the author said figuring out which body part moves where is a waste of time and then a few chapters later he talks about getting into Y and L positons, huh?

Has anyone tried this method? Any suggestions on how to achieve this tour tempo?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that book gets a lot of praises here, but it throws my tempo for a loop. I have all of them on my MP3 and I've tried them all. I know you aren't supposed to anticipate the sounds, but I can't help it....(like in Bug's Life "Don't go near the light...I can't help it").

I put it away for about 6 months and decided to try it again last week - didn't work.

It works very well. My only problem is that I haven't used it enough to ingrain the beats.

As an aside, it turned out my normal tempo was already 24/8.

It turns out, a few years ago I was looking at swings on JC Golf, and I learned Els was at impact when most amateurs are at the top. I worked to speed up and apparently moved to 24/8 at that time. The real value for me of tour tempo, is the "hover" effect one gets if you don't anticipate the top.

could of years ago, i had the pleasure of going to a clinic, that included some notable LPGA pro's and the one thing they have is normally great tempo, so do the men, but I would rather watch Paula Creamer all day....

anyway back on point, I think it was Annika that said any three syllable word or three one syllable words or combination of the two... such as hamburger, where Ham-ber is the back swing and the ger is the down swing... if you can picture that it really helps tempo... at least it helped me... of course I have some really great words/phrases, I will save those for later.

If you have an overly long backswing (too long of an arm swing) tour tempo is likely to just make your overly long backswing an overly long and fast backswing, rather than shortening it. You have to be aware of that or it could seriously mess you up (as it did me for a few months a couple of years ago).

BTW, I have a Suunto G6 and it's tempo times are always about .25 sec longer than my SS radar. No way I can ever get the Suunto below 1.32 sec on tempo for any kind of reasonable swing, and my typical is around 1.41

You're right, hogenfan, the 1.3 sec swing has never been comfortable to me, even minus .25 you talked about and gets to tour zone. The speed reading is doubtful as well, funny when I swung with a speedstik, the read on it was 115 while one my watch was 98.

I wouldn't trust a speed stick. My Suunto watch is surprisingly close to my SS radar most of the time (usually within 3mph) although occasionally, it can be off by as much as 9 mph.

After some practice - it's no miracle. But, so far so good. At the very least there's accerlation

on the shorter through swing. Probably something that can only help -especially the mid to higher handicap crowd. Also, I am a horrible chipper - near yip like. But, the accerlation is a real winner - especially on chip shots. Finally, compared to all of the other swing thoughts - this ones rather easy to duplicate. I can't get the 3:1 ratio down. But, I know " it's quicker on the downswing ".

• 3 weeks later...

I read the book yesterday in about two hours in a go.

It claims incredibly results like 50 extra yards with the driver in 20 minutes.

Still I found it interesting and will definetly give it a go. I always thought that something to give rythm to my swing would help: I use a metronome for my putting and it does help for consistent strokes.

Also anything that reduces overthinking during the swwing can only be beneficial. Finally I find that in most cases when I mishit a shot I have the feeling there was something funny in my timing, so a method that gives consisted tempo should help with consistency.

Interested to hear more impressions from people who have tried

I had good results with it last year. the tempo was my only swing thought. I listened on the way to play, on the range and sometimes just driving in the car. I am still trying to get my swing back to a reliable one so I haven't utilized the Mp3s as much recently.

WHen I used it, I used the tempo for everything in the bag.

24/8 is the best for me now.

I am currently an 8 handicap. Two years ago when I used it, late summer into fall, I strung about 10 consecutive rounds together that were all in the 70's on a course rated 74.8/139. I don't know why I stopped using it other than the fact that with going back to standard time I no longer had the luxury of practicing during the week. Like anything in golf, you need to practice to have the consistency. I may have to pull out the book and disc and start using it again. It did work wonders for me.

This is my first post on this site, I've been lurking for a year now. This topic seemed to hit home with me as I definitely have an issue with Tempo. I purchased the Tour Tempo book/CD yesterday, read it last night and downloaded the tracks on my Ipod. I'm excited to take it to the range.

My issue seems to be the opposite of most of the case studies in the book. My tempo has always been way too fast. The few instructors I've had have always told me to "Slow Down!". I seem to rush my backswing and transition. I guess I am too anxious to "hit" the ball instead of taking a "smooth" swing.

I took some swings last night, in my living room, with the 24/8 track playing. The desired backswing seems quite a bit slower than I'm used to and the through swing seems about right.

Has anybody seen any results from Tour Tempo in slowing a swing down?

27/9……”Swing…Set…Through…”

Tempo is just one component to a good swing and most golfers should practice it often, regardless of their swing type. There are other ways to do it but this book and the CD that comes with it is a really inexpensive way to go. With that being said, I personally don't subscribe to the instruction of the book much and the limited Tempo speeds that come on the CD may not be for everyone. It is in the long run a good place to start if you want to work on Tempo on the cheap.

"tempo" is created as a function of when/how you begin your downswing, not by controlling the length or rate of your backswing.

...after studying the biomechanics of the golf swing for the past 17 years as a biomechanics researcher, first at American Sports Medicine Institute and the BioMotion Foundation and now clinically, we have found that most good swings have a certain "tempo", but this tempo is a result of how/when you begin your downswing... swinging harder or faster has little to no impact on effecting timing or tempo...

...what most do not realize is that elite level golfers (ie.. pga, lpga golfers) begin transition into the downswing almost immediately after takeaway, by creating torque at their feet... the average golfer, doesn't begin to create torque until the very end of the back swing... tempo or timing is lost in transition which is much longer when downswing torque is not initiated until the end of the back swing...

...transition must occur at the feet and not the upper body... if this occurs then the swing length is dictated by your anatomy and "tempo" is about the same for everyone regardless of swing style or technique

...you can visit our website for more information about golf biomechanics to better understand what I am talking about - hope this helps...

www.welch-e.com

www.golf-zenoLINK.com

for recorded webinars that may also provide some information on the subject:

http://welch-e.com/welch-e/webinars.asp?content=webinars

regards,

chris welch

Chris, Thx. Interesting post. I wd agree - I do not coil very well and maybe it just happens and you say, too late. When I do try to coil, it makes no difference. Probably, too late again. With a floppy backswing ( I can see the club at the top ), I thought I needed to shorten my swing. I did this by flaring my left foot and pre-setting my rt knee in. Things I have heard on the internet. My swing was restricted. But, I've tweaked my right knee. It hurts off and on. Something, I regret. With your clinical and research background - I am sure you have heard some stories like this. We contort - hoping we can come up with something that will work.

Having said that, does the early coil ( start the downsing ) put pressure on your right knee. What you say makes sense. But, I don't think my knee can take one more tweak!

...changing direction more effectively, hence earlier in the swing, if done correctly should naturally "shorten" the swing without "restricting"... it is mostly about allowing the body to work its most naturally and most efficiently...

I actually did a webinar on lower body mechanics, change of direction AND training the movement pattern several weeks ago... we posted the recorded version for download on our website... check it out if you get the chance, it may clarify some of the concepts...

scroll down to the feb. 7 webinar on training lower body mechancis:

http://welch-e.com/welch-e/webinars.asp?content=webinars

regards,

chris

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Mr Hoganfan924,

A question on the effectiveness of the Sunuto G6 Pro in helping shorten your swing?

I trying to follow Slicefixer's text and 9 to 3 drill and break get to a "center turns the outside" pivot to break years of overswing, slide and flip.

Forget the swing speed and tempo aspect, does the angular degree measurement of hand position help increase awareness of overswinging tendencies?

How about Trevor Immelman's rotation based swing look after two days at Augusta - how timely?

Thanks for your comments.

Hey Mr Hoganfan924,

A question on the effectiveness of the Sunuto G6 Pro in helping shorten your swing?

I trying to follow Slicefixer's text and 9 to 3 drill and break get to a "center turns the outside" pivot to break years of overswing, slide and flip.

Forget the swing speed and tempo aspect, does the angular degree measurement of hand position help increase awareness of overswinging tendencies?

How about Trevor Immelman's rotation based swing look after two days at Augusta - how timely?

Thanks for your comments.

Funny you bring this up. That's about the only good use for the Suunto for me these days. One more gripe is that the batteries don't last long (about 6 months).

• 2 weeks later...

Any more updates or comments on this book & CD ?

I understand that we're all a touch guilable when it comes to golf and training aides, and I've been guilty of falling into this also... but even if I gain 10 yards and another 5-10 in accurracy then it would be worth it...

I've always felt that I jerk the club down and thus change my plane, getting that feeling of hitting at the ball versus through the ball...

Any comments on the book and was it useful to you or not...

Thanks

When I looked this up for me it made sense. So I am doing this due to having the same tempo for all swings seems like a good idea to ingrain one motion.

Setting some new outcomes for the year have made me look for simple yet effective solutions to improve.

This seems like a nice one.

Knows the secret to the golf swing to own it.
300+ yards and 4% dispersion for unmatched accuracy
Golf God

I think (or at least hope) this will lead to more consistency with my tempo. However, I didn't find the swing tones to be any faster than my normal swing. I guess being a 1 or 2 that makes sense, but I expected something much faster after reading the book.

Taylor Made M2 9.5* Atmos Tour Spec Blue 6
Taylor Made M2 Tour 15* Atmos Tour Spec Blue 7
Titleist 913H 19* Diamana White Board
Taylor Made P760 4-P X100
Ping Glide 52
Vokey SM5 56 & 60
Cameron IBBF Laguna 2.5

I think (or at least hope) this will lead to more consistency with my tempo. However, I didn't find the swing tones to be any faster than my normal swing. I guess being a 1 or 2 that makes sense, but I expected something much faster after reading the book.

Is your swing smooth in every transition?

What I can say is to be consistent the tempo and rythm has to be the same which would also show this on video that every movement are smooth with no distortion, being in sync.

Knows the secret to the golf swing to own it.
300+ yards and 4% dispersion for unmatched accuracy
Golf God

Is your swing smooth in every transition?

What I can say is to be consistent the tempo and rythm has to be the same which would also show this on video that every movement are smooth with no distortion, being in sync.

Like most everyone I could probably be more consistent. However, I do think my transitions are pretty smooth and I would consider myself a good ball striker. When I do have problems it is because I am too quick at that top, which leads to some big hooks. If the tones lead to more consistency and better misses I will be more than pleased.

Taylor Made M2 9.5* Atmos Tour Spec Blue 6
Taylor Made M2 Tour 15* Atmos Tour Spec Blue 7
Titleist 913H 19* Diamana White Board
Taylor Made P760 4-P X100
Ping Glide 52
Vokey SM5 56 & 60
Cameron IBBF Laguna 2.5