Name the Oldest Ball You've Played

MacFanMacFan Members Posts: 33
edited Mar 31, 2008 in Golf Balls #1
List of old brands and models you've played
With all the talk by analysts and the golf press describing the transformation of the game due to the latest technology in golf balls, I thought it would be interesting to hear about all the "old" brands and models WRX'ers have played in their golfing past.

At the risk of dating myself, here is a sampling of some of the old models and brands I've played over the years:

Acushnet:

Finalist

Acushnet

Titleist ( Just plain Titleist, no "Tour" or "Wound 90" ...Just plain Titleist)

Spalding:

DOT

Execitive

Royal:

Royal ( the first ball I remember with a hexagonal dimple pattern)

Faultless:

Falutless ( the first solid, cut proof ball)

Dunlop:

Dunlop 65

Blue Max

You get the idea
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Golo07Golo07 Members Posts: 98
    Top Flite Z-Balata
  • mat562mat562 My ex had an irrational phobia of salad cream. Honestly. Members Posts: 10,947 ✭✭
    edited Mar 31, 2008 #3
    Yikes.

I started playing in early '86 and I remember the days of tipping out the balls and half (or more) of them were grotty old 1.62" jobs that the dog had found in the gorse. A lot with cuts in them. Or teethmarks. Try perfecting your long iron ballflight with those. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' /> Never mind seaming those first-generation Pro V1s; try lining up a slice in the cover.

Penfold Commando, Dunlop 65, Dunlop Blue Max, and those old Titleists that you mentioned that just said 'Titleist' on them.

Something solid and rock hard was an absolute luxury back then. Fortunately there were always lots of Top Flite XLs and Titleist surlyns that the members lost (and the dog found) to bump up the decent-balls-percentage over time. The only time I saw a Titleist 384 in that characteristic red box was in the pro shop or at Christmas.

In those days, Titleist Balatas (and the revered Low Trajectory versions) and Spalding Tour Editions were like manna from heaven and ended up being saved for the practice green...

Happy days. Aside from the balls, I also used to end up using grips until they were perished and had a 'thumb slot' worn into the side of them since I was a teenager and new grips were an unaffordable luxury.
  • pickerjohnpickerjohn pickerjohn Members Posts: 2,096 ✭✭
    Acushnet

Kroydon

Penfold (Euro ball)
    TBD
    Tour Edge Exotics CB 4 16.5 Regular Flex
    Cobra Baffler hybrid 22* Regular
    Mizuno MP 59 5-PW PX 5.0
    Callaway MD2 Tour Grind wedges 54 & 58
    T.P Mills Professional One 35"
    Bridgesone E6 Soft Yellow
  • rb83993rb83993 Members Posts: 1,359
    rextar
    Cobra Fly Z, Fubuki
    Cobra Fly Z 3 wood
    18 Cobra DWS
    PING Rapture Hy 21
    PING G series 5-pw
    PING Glide 56
    Odyssey Milled #9
  • BD57BD57 Members Posts: 256 ✭✭
    Played the Spalding Dot; the Acushnet "Club Special"; the Royal ball you remember; the Faultless ball you remember; 1970 or 71 type Maxfli.
  • Swingtheclub  Swingtheclub Members Posts: 3,752
    I remember everyball that has been mentioned and played most if not all of them.

I remember when we used to play club specials in cold weather because we were told they would go farther. They were softer and felt better but a Golf or Golf Digest article later proved that 100 compression balls go farther in all weather with all swing speeds

Now I have no idea but was the original Titelist ball the K2 my first memory of it the ball cost $1.25 I ask the man who ran the pro shop the difference between those and the same ball in x outs he said about sixty cents.

PGA Victor Comtometer (later Tommy Armour Golf ) bought the patent for the K2 from Titelist when Titelist developed a new ball and they could not duplicate the quality control

Great great post

Ken
  • SwingManSwingMan SwingMan Members Posts: 6,800
    Dunlop Blue Dot (circa 1960s)
    "My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● PXG 0317 4H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● Mizuno 919F 5-GW/Accra i80 ● Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56ES, 60SS ●Evnroll ER8
  • HarboursideTCHarboursideTC Harbourside Members Posts: 1,225
    1964 Macgregor Tourneys and Wilson Staffs - now that's old.
  • sgpro2000sgpro2000 Maestrogolfer Members Posts: 66
    When I began, in 77, my 1st choice was topù flite or tee mee.
  • jamesduncanjamesduncan Members Posts: 364
    during the 80s;

Titleist Balata 90 and 100 compression

Wilson Prostaff

sometimes the Titleist DT 100

and the above already mentioned, forgot about so many of them!
  • ragu421ragu421 Members Posts: 343
    Rextar, Titleist tour balata,Maxfli balata
  • TNSoonerTNSooner Sooner Born & Sooner Bred Members Posts: 398 ✭✭
    I started playing in 1970...

The most unusual ball I remember was the Polara Accuracy...

B1419.gif

Product Description:

The self-correcting ball that REDUCES hooks and slices by more than 50%!
    • Enjoy your round with golf filled smiles!
    • 2 - Piece Construction
    • Standard dimples around the equator help it play with the distance of regular balls
    • Shallow dimples at the poles help it give your hooks and slices happy landings in the fairway and greens
  • memphishornmemphishorn memphishorn ClubWRX Posts: 801 ClubWRX
    How about some love for the 1st ball my Dad would let me play...Ram 3D! Finally worked my way up to Golden Rams and MacGregor Tourney's. This was in late 60's.
    Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei AV Blue Stiff
     Titleist 915F 15*Diamana Blue 70 Regular
     Titleist 904F 19* YS6 Stiff
    Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* and (816) 25* Bassara Regular
    Titleist AP1 718 6-GW1 Tensei Graphite Stiff
    Vokey 52.08 SM6, 56.14 SM6
    Scotty Cameron Newport Classic 
    Titleist Hybrid 14 Bag

Classic Bag
    MacGregor MT Tourney 1967 WM2T 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Persimmon w/ Aluminum Insert
    MacGregor MT Tourney 1971 Split Sole irons 3-10
    MacGregor VIP 1967 Sand Iron
    Ping Anser 1969 85020
    Burton White Leather Bag
  • scotchbladescotchblade Members Posts: 2,385
    Some of you will remember this and get a kick out of it. I started playing in 1971. I was a big fan of Trevino, who had his ties to Faultless. I've still got this styrofoam box that contained a dozen OMEGA golf balls. The illustration is by the great Jack Davis.

omega.jpg
  • RamblerRambler Finally enjoying golf again Members Posts: 1,748 ✭✭
    Hmmm... I played today so I grabbed some balls out of my shag bag. The oldest was a DT Wound. It may not be that old for some of you but it was for me.
  • capt.murphycapt.murphy Members Posts: 620
    molitor!!!

dt wound

wilson staff

i remember the original nike tour accuracy tw. when it came out. 15 yards longer than my old standby the dt wound.
  • Ridgecrest18Ridgecrest18 Members Posts: 597 ClubWRX
    One of my all time favorites was the Strata ML Balata........... image/cool.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />
  • mat562mat562 My ex had an irrational phobia of salad cream. Honestly. Members Posts: 10,947 ✭✭
    I remember the Wilson Staff!

Great ball - and with the 'utterly basic' dimple pattern that just ran in concentric lines around the ball...
  • MrParr1NoidMrParr1Noid Golf was fun ClubWRX Posts: 7,212 ✭✭
    edited Apr 4, 2008 #20
    Podo, bought them at the Walgreen drug store, back in the day. Sold in 3-ball sleeves for .67 cents including tax. image/drag.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' /> These seemed to be kind of pricey now.

Post edited by Unknown User on
    1 Club -- Adjustable
    1 Ball -- Very Long
  • evnpar1020evnpar1020 Members Posts: 467
    Yea, I was born in 80, and didn't start playing till the late 90's...oldest balls....dt wounds, professionals, balatas....no telling how many classic balls my bro I found diving for balls in the summers.
  • scall1968scall1968 Members Posts: 101 ✭✭
    Wilson Pro Staff
  • AndrooooAndroooo Members Posts: 81
    The Original Tour Edition

Maxfli HT-90's and 100's

Titleist Tour 384

Rextar

Royal Maxfli
  • rddogerrddoger Members Posts: 77
    I can remember playing in the late seventies when I was 11 or 12 years old using a Canadian Cup ball.
  • freddiecfreddiec Members Posts: 4,252 ✭✭
    When I started playing in 1981 the coolest ball i could get my hands on was the Pro Staff by Wilson.
  • CorgidogCorgidog Members Posts: 67
    Golden Ram 100 compression balls in the early 80s were my favorite distance ball. they came in a black box with a gold picture of a Ram's horns on the cover. It used to be that red numbers were 90 compression and black numbers were 100 compression. Now when I am not playing well, I usually play OPs. which stand for "other peoples" -ones I find.
  • 67_VIP67_VIP Members Posts: 8
    I started playing in 1964 at 5 years old. My Dad played with Acushnet Club Specials and I would get his hand me downs. I'll never forget the first Titleist I bought in '67 or '68; my mom dropped me off at the club and gave me a $1.50 for the day's lunch and snacks. I went to the pro shop and plopped 1.25 on the counter and asked for a Red and Black Titleist (90 compression). On the first tee I hit it into the right woods and searched for it for about an hour until the pro came by and asked what I was doing. I told him I wasn't going to go without lunch and just hit that Titleist 1 time! He laughed, wished me luck and rode off in his cart. Before long I found the ball, finished my 9 holes, and when I got back to the clubhouse the pro called me over to the counter and gave me a sleeve of Titleists, telling me he admired my perserverance. I treasured those balls as if they were the Holy Grail. For a month, I just kept them on my dresser and looked at them at night. Weird what you remember, huh?

Some other balls I remember fondly were the:

First Flight Greenmaster

Dunlop Blue Max

Faultless Lee Trevino

Arnold Palmer Charger

Spalding Dot

Royal

British Size Slazenger

But, after my game progressed, I was loyal to Titleist through HS, College and professional years because of that experience earlier spoken of. At least until this year, and I fell in love with the Srixon Z-URS.
  • BDLzBDLz DON'T DRINK THE KOOL AID! Members Posts: 1,117
    Maxfli HT's (90/100) were the bomb...my favorite ball of all time!!!
  • gumpygumpy Members Posts: 170
    Titliest professional - best ball i've ever played. Titliest please bring this ball back. I don't care if it's 20 yards shorter, the liquid centre's were the best.

Maxfli HT - Nice soft balata ball.

Maxfli Revolution - fantastic soft ball

Slazenger

Titliest Tour Balata (i think that's what it was called) - these got smiley faces on them if you bladed it... =)
  • scall1968scall1968 Members Posts: 101 ✭✭
    This makes me feel really old:

Wilson Pro Staff

Wilson Pro Staff Orange

Spalding Tour Edition

Maxfli DDH

Maxfli MD

Maxfli HT

Ram

Titleist HP2 Tour

Precept EV

The original tour edition may was great.
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker ClubWRX Posts: 4,426 ClubWRX
    I started playing Titleist DT back in 1986 when I started but switched after a couple of years to Titleist 384 Balata 90 compression.
    Taylormade M3 (2018 tour head) 9.9 degree Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
    Titleist 906F2 15 degree Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec stiff
    Taylormade SLDR 2 Hybrid Graphite Design Tour AD DI-Hybrid 85 stiff
    Ben Hogan '99 Apex Blades (3-PW) Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
    Miura 52* GW S-200
    Scratch Golf LW Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
    Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe Copper plated
    BestGrips Augusta Microperf grips