How many balls did Hogan hit per hour?

golfdude54 ·  
golfdude54golfdude54 Members  33WRX Points: 0Posts: 33
Rather than focusing on how many balls he hit per day in practice at the range, I'm more interested in how many balls he hit per hour on his full swings during 1953 (his best year), was he deliberate and took 1-2 minutes per ball? Or was he hitting them faster at 30 seconds per ball? Did he take planned breaks after hitting a specific amount of balls (say 10-20 balls) in a session to relieve the stress from his injured body? And last question (lol) when he practiced on the course on non-tournament days, did he ever do anything particular that set him mentally ahead of his other competitors in preparation for playing, i.e. playing worst ball 18 format practice?
Posted:

Comments

• farmerfarmer Members  8607WRX Points: 1,039Posts: 8,607 Titanium Tees
    Somewhere there is a video of Hogan practicing at the Masters. No idea what year, but you can see his pace.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 MaineMembers  20333WRX Points: 900Posts: 20,333 Titanium Tees
    As many as his caddie could shag.
    Posted:

• southplainssouthplains Members  104WRX Points: 39Handicap: nonePosts: 104 Fairways
    My research so far indicates that many of the videos of his practice have

been edited to remove the between-balls time, so they only appear to be

rapid-fire. Reports are that he was meticulous in his practice objectives

and set-up routines and he frequently hit only 20 or so balls before stopping

to reflect on this results and what he wanted to accomplish with the next

20 balls.
    Posted:
    MacGregor Tourney Eye-O-Matic M65W woods
    MacGregor Tourney Colokrom M-65 irons
    MacGregor Tourney Colokrom M-85 D/S wedge
    Ben Hogan blade putter

in the art of golf, practice is everything and everything is practice
  • mocokidmocokid Members  2149WRX Points: 344Posts: 2,149 Platinum Tees
    about 20 balls I'd agree in his post accident mode.

Then a tasty Chesterfield to rest and reflect, analyze.

Sometimes I wish I smoked to get me to take a real break after hitting 20+, especially when the going is not good.
    Posted:
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers  7274WRX Points: 583Handicap: 1.8Posts: 7,274 Titanium Tees
    I can’t see how anyone would need 2 minutes to hit a range ball, but I can say that caring about what each ball actually does is very important.

I have a friend that’s a Terrible golfer and very impatient. I told him last summer that he really needed some range time. I saw him at the range a couple weeks later. He blasted through 120 balls in a half hour.

I told him very seriously, Mark, “If you aren’t actually aiming at something and working on something with every swing, you aren’t practicing, you’re just getting exercise.”

It’s So common. I used to work at a nice practice center in the 90’s. It blew my mind how many people would come in and rip through a large basket like it was some sort of race. Totally counterproductive if you aren’t working on something and aiming at something.

Posted:
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    PXG gen 1 tours 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • shoot4parshoot4par Life's A Course 412ClubWRX  321WRX Points: 112Handicap: 7Posts: 321 ClubWRX

“If you aren’t actually aiming at something and working on something with every swing, you aren’t practicing, you’re just getting exercise.”

The number I've always heard is a ball a minute. The bold quote from Jag echoes what Claude Harmon (The old not Butch or the Third) used to say about practice. If you just hit balls without a swing thought or a target you may as well be playing pin the tail on yourself.

Posted:
    Jones did it with corn whiskey. Hogan with cigarettes & Tiger with will.
    If you were wondering the secrets in the dirt.

WITB
    Driver: Callaway XR Pro 9* (N/S) Oban Kiyoshi Black 65g 04 (Iomic White .60)
    Callaway Epic Subzero 9* (N/S) (TC) Kiyoshi White 65g 04 Kiyoshi White  (Iomic White .60)
    Fairway Wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro Limited 16.5* Kiyoshi White 75g 04 (Iomic White .60)
    Hybrid: CB Pro U 19* Kuro Kage 90s. (Iomic White .60)
    Irons: Miura 1957 Baby Blades 4-PW KBS TOUR 120s Black standard loft / standard lie (Iomic White .60)
    Wedges: Vokey Wedgeworks 52*, 56*, 60* KBS Matte Black 120s (Iomic White .60)
    Putter: Odyssey Metal X Milled #9

WITB
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • hbear55hbear55 Members  50WRX Points: 69Posts: 50 Bunkers

Did you ever shoot a basketball without a basket. Don't know if you make or miss. You always need to aim at a target so you know whether or not you hit a decent shot.

Posted:
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Members  2377WRX Points: 664Posts: 2,377 Platinum Tees

On -, @hbear55 said:

Did you ever shoot a basketball without a basket. Don't know if you make or miss. You always need to aim at a target so you know whether or not you hit a decent shot.

That's a great analogy. Ill have to remember that and tell everyone I came up with it myself.

Posted:
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.