2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Sarasota, FL Golf Weekend

skibeachgolf

This March, me and 3 friends are going down to the Sarasota area and are planning to golf at 3-4 different courses. I'm looking for any suggestions as I have only done some preliminary research and I'm not familiar with the area. Sarasota National is definitely on our radar. Would love to provide more details but it's as simple as just find out what some of the best courses in the area are. We would like to be within 30 minutes or so of the coast as we plan on going to the beach after our round.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How would we get on a private course? Maybe a dumb question but up in New Hampshire the select few private courses in the area are 100% private. You typically have to play with a member of the course.

If you're a member of a private club where you live your pro can makes a call for you, other than that you're on the public courses. But sarasota has some great ones.

I'm assuming since sarasota national is a must for you you're looking for public courses?

If so;

Lakewood national

Esplanade

Waterlefe

River strand

If private is an option

The concession

Ritz Carlton

The oaks

Lakewood ranch country club

I'm local to the area and agree with all the public choices, haven't got the chance to play some of the private.

Although just North of Sarasota, River Wilderness in Parish is one of my favorites, but it's semi private I believe, so might be closed to the public during the season (i.e. winter), but maybe open in March. Worth the extra 10-15 min if you can get on I think.

I'm assuming since sarasota national is a must for you you're looking for public courses?

If so;

Lakewood national

Esplanade

Waterlefe

River strand

If private is an option

The concession

Ritz Carlton

The oaks

You may also want to consider University Park. I played it 2 weeks ago, was in great shape, but can be pricey. Lakewood National is new and top.

If so;

Lakewood national

Esplanade

Waterlefe

River strand

If private is an option

The concession

Ritz Carlton

The oaks

You may also want to consider University Park. I played it 2 weeks ago, was in great shape, but can be pricey. Lakewood National is new and top.

Never have I ever had a good experience at university park. Yes, the course is in good shape but the staff, "oh you're not a member, let me show you how to repair ball marks, fix divots, don't hold up our members" so very uninviting, if you only have a few opportunities to play golf here that place along with legacy (their outside services staff is notoriously rude to non members) may leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Those may be my experiences but as a 35 year old that's been playing for 25 years and at a competitive level for the last 10 and will play nearly 100 rounds a year, never felt like such an unwanted outsider as I do when I play at those two course.

If so;

Lakewood national

Esplanade

Waterlefe

River strand

If private is an option

The concession

Ritz Carlton

The oaks

Never have I ever had a good experience at university park. Yes, the course is in good shape but the staff, "oh you're not a member, let me show you how to repair ball marks, fix divots, don't hold up our members" so very uninviting, if you only have a few opportunities to play golf here that place along with legacy (their outside services staff is notoriously rude to non members) may leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Those may be my experiences but as a 35 year old that's been playing for 25 years and at a competitive level for the last 10 and will play nearly 100 rounds a year, never felt like such an unwanted outsider as I do when I play at those two course.

I will definitely take note on your feedback. I hate places like that and I feel like 4 guys in their late 20's will probably be an easy target for them.

If you do play University Park, try to play the original 2 9's. The newest 9 is OK but not nearly as interesting as the original layout.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

I have been going down to Sarasota (Anna Maria Island) for the last 12 years for New Years week, I have played all the courses mentioned and more. The definite do not play courses to me are Serenoa GC and The Bobby Jones courses. Now on to the good and most have been mentioned.

SARASOTA NATIONAL: Good course if you haven't hit balls in a while as fairways are generous. Always in good condition. Watch out for pygmy rattle snakes under pine straw.

LAKEWOOD NATIONAL: New course recently opened. Top notch condition, large undulating greens. Wide open fairways. Fun course due to the putting.

WATERLEFE: Obviously water comes into play on every hole. I like it and I like the design. Can be a bit buggy on the last 4 holes.

RIVER WILDERNESS: It's private maybe in March you can get on. Only one bad hole.

UNIVERSITY PARK: Top condition of any courses mentioned. However as others have mentions it is semi private and really do not make you feel welcome. Just played there again this year and the pro shop staff were extremely friendly but the outside staff were something else. I was given a lesson on how to park the golf cart when I was at the putting green. Still worth the play I think, just take them for what they are.

Have a good time and enjoy yourselves. Also in March is spring training baseball.

I am curious to read about your experiences at all these courses. You can't go wrong with any of the recommendations, but I can understand the comments regarding University Park. I had no bad experience during my last visit, but I am in the 50s.

I will post a review of each course we play. I can't wait to get down there!

I have been going down to Sarasota (Anna Maria Island) for the last 12 years for New Years week, I have played all the courses mentioned and more. The definite do not play courses to me are Serenoa GC and The Bobby Jones courses. Now on to the good and most have been mentioned.

SARASOTA NATIONAL: Good course if you haven't hit balls in a while as fairways are generous. Always in good condition. Watch out for pygmy rattle snakes under pine straw.

LAKEWOOD NATIONAL: New course recently opened. Top notch condition, large undulating greens. Wide open fairways. Fun course due to the putting.

WATERLEFE: Obviously water comes into play on every hole. I like it and I like the design. Can be a bit buggy on the last 4 holes.

RIVER WILDERNESS: It's private maybe in March you can get on. Only one bad hole.

UNIVERSITY PARK: Top condition of any courses mentioned. However as others have mentions it is semi private and really do not make you feel welcome. Just played there again this year and the pro shop staff were extremely friendly but the outside staff were something else. I was given a lesson on how to park the golf cart when I was at the putting green. Still worth the play I think, just take them for what they are.

Have a good time and enjoy yourselves. Also in March is spring training baseball.

Thank you!

I'm really glad this thread popped up, I'm heading down for 6 days on February 8 and I've been struggling to find some good info. If anyone wants to meet up for a round or needs a fourth, let me know!

Be sure to let us know which courses you played and what you thought about them!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the answers on this thread. Headed down the end of March. Very helpful.

Joe

Ping G425 9 deg set to 8 deg Tensei Orange Reg
Ping G425 5 Wood Alta Reg
Ping G425 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids Alta Reg
Mizuno 921 Forged Recoil ESX 460 F3 6-AW
Cleveland CBX ZipCore. 54 & 58 
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2 34"
Titleist ProV1
2020 Ping Pioneer Black

I'll be heading down the March 8th for about a week (staying at St. Petes Beach) and we're looking to play at least a round a day. I'm semi-confident that my HP could get the two of us onto most of the private tracks, but I'm wondering if anyone has a rough idea of green fees at:

Concession

Ritz

Oaks

Lakewood

If they're super high then we might not bother asking our pro to call and just play the better public options.

Titleist TSi3 9* - Tensei Blue 60 TX
Titleist TS2 15* - D+ LTD 70X
Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei White 80X

Srixon Z785 4i, Miura MC-501 5-PW - X100
SM7 50F, 54S, SM8 58M
Spider Tour

I'll be heading down the March 8th for about a week (staying at St. Petes Beach) and we're looking to play at least a round a day. I'm semi-confident that my HP could get the two of us onto most of the private tracks, but I'm wondering if anyone has a rough idea of green fees at:

Concession

Ritz

Oaks

Lakewood

If they're super high then we might not bother asking our pro to call and just play the better public options.

Concession $500 plus caddy

Ritz, $250 plus caddy

Oaks $150 I think

LWR $125-175

Concession

Ritz

Oaks

Lakewood

Concession $500 plus caddy

Ritz, $250 plus caddy

Oaks $150 I think

LWR $125-175

Thanks for the info. Concession is probably too rich for my blood given the CDN-USD exchange rate.

Titleist TSi3 9* - Tensei Blue 60 TX
Titleist TS2 15* - D+ LTD 70X
Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei White 80X

Srixon Z785 4i, Miura MC-501 5-PW - X100
SM7 50F, 54S, SM8 58M
Spider Tour

Concession

Ritz

Oaks

Lakewood

If you like classic design have your pro look into getting you on Sara Bay CC it was designed by Donald Ross. Same style of greens you'd find at Pinehurst. I am not sure what the guest green fees go for.

• 2 weeks later...
I can finally say that this weekend I'll be down there playing golf! We have Lakewood and Sarasota booked. We are also booking University Park soon. One of the guys in the group went and booked Bardmoor for a course to play before we fly out of Tampa. Anyone play there before?

I actually enjoy Bardmoor - they do a great job with conditions all things considered. A lot of back and forth holes but you don't really notice it too much, good layout for the space restrictions they had to work with.

With that being said, certainly not a high-end course. You're most likely going to drag your own clubs from your car to your cart and the 1st tee can be disorganized. Just trying to manage your expectations... But honestly, it's one of the better public courses in the St. Pete area.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This March, me and 3 friends are going down to the Sarasota area and are planning to golf at 3-4 different courses. I'm looking for any suggestions as I have only done some preliminary research and I'm not familiar with the area. Sarasota National is definitely on our radar. Would love to provide more details but it's as simple as just find out what some of the best courses in the area are. We would like to be within 30 minutes or so of the coast as we plan on going to the beach after our round.

Did you have a good time in the Sarasota area? Given the substantial number of advice you received, I may not be the only one here who looks forward to reading your experiences.

Happy Easter!

Concession

Ritz

Oaks

Lakewood

If you like classic design have your pro look into getting you on Sara Bay CC it was designed by Donald Ross. Same style of greens you'd find at Pinehurst. I am not sure what the guest green fees go for.

Sara Bay is a great option if you can get on it, played quite a few events out there

• 2 weeks later...