Finally broke 80, BUT...

DibergioDibergio Members Posts: 20
... it was on a Par 68 course.

After having spent the past year bouncing around the mid 80s on longer courses, a 77 today at Gleneagles’ Queens Course has me happy but not over the moon like I imagined.

Hired clubs for the week as I’m staying with in laws. Brand new Titliests - 918 d2, 818, Ap2, Sm7. Had to take the plastic wrapper off myself! Heaven!

Hit 88 yesterday in 45mph winds too. Funny game.

Kings tomorrow so we shall see what happens.

Comments

• DntdodoublesDntdodoubles Posts: 92
    edited May 18, 2018 #2
    I have done the same. 75 on a par 68. The other day played a par 71 course. It was a slow playing day and I was walking as a single. The foursome in front of me asked me to join them on the third hole since there was foursomes in front of them as well and more slow players behind me. All four of them had teed off so I rushed to the tee box with my 3 wood and sliced one OB then hooked the next shot behind a tree. Ended up with an 8 on the par 4. I then three putted hole 18 for an 80. I played well besides the 8 and was pissed, I wanted that 79.
  • getitdailygetitdaily Members Posts: 2,432 ✭✭
    Don't knock it, just keep working to get better.

Sometimes all it takes is not being afraid to see yourself write down a number that starts with a 7...
  • titleist_christitleist_chris Members Posts: 63
    Congrats! The whole idea is to build confidence......and you have done that!
  • r0scoer0scoe Hardcore Hacker Members Posts: 67
    getitdaily wrote:

Sometimes all it takes is not being afraid to see yourself write down a number that starts with a 7...

Unless that 7 is your score for 1 hole.....
  • handicap122003handicap122003 Members Posts: 140 ✭✭
    I play my local country club in AR. If you don’t break 80 then you need some real lessons. Which aren’t available. Nice.
  • goosekee2goosekee2 Clarion, IowaMembers Posts: 175 ✭✭
    Congrats, sounds like a good round for you. When you going out purchasing all the exact clubs you used to shoot your 77?
    TaylorMade M3 9.5
    Cobra F7 3 Wood
    Titleist 718 T-MB 3 Iron
    Nike Vapor Speed 4-GW
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54*
    Titleit Vokey SM7 60*
    Scotty Cameron Golo 5
  • psapitch13psapitch13 Members Posts: 376 ClubWRX
    Seeing the score on the card is the first step to doing it more often. One school of thought is to play forward tees if you're trying to break 90,80,70 just to get you're brain on-board with the idea that you can achieve those scores. Keep up the good work.
  • clp34vmpclp34vmp Cancel that mead Posts: 229 ✭✭
    It took me a long time to break to 80 too, and when it happened it was on a Par 69. It felt pretty great at the time, but there was always a nagging feeling in the back of my mind until (a pretty good while later unfortunately) I did it again on a Par 72 layout.
  • Had my best round of the summer going on the first four holes yesterday, then I blew it up and shot my worst score this summer.
  • MignuzMignuz Posts: 104 ClubWRX
    I try to answer with a question.

Once I shot 70 on a par 72 course, and once I shot 64 on a par 64 course.

Should I say that 64 is my best score?
  • devinh821devinh821 Posts: 554 ✭✭
    I done the same thing today! Shot 77 on par 68. Super short course and easy. I’ve never shot below 85. First 9 was amazing back 9 was hard.
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,273 ✭✭
    Dibergio wrote:

... it was on a Par 68 course.

After having spent the past year bouncing around the mid 80s on longer courses, a 77 today at Gleneagles' Queens Course has me happy but not over the moon like I imagined.

Hired clubs for the week as I'm staying with in laws. Brand new Titliests - 918 d2, 818, Ap2, Sm7. Had to take the plastic wrapper off myself! Heaven!

Hit 88 yesterday in 45mph winds too. Funny game.

Kings tomorrow so we shall see what happens.

devinh821 wrote:

I done the same thing today! Shot 77 on par 68. Super short course and easy. I've never shot below 85. First 9 was amazing back 9 was hard.

Doesn't matter how short or what par is. It's a regulation course. It's great to have goals and hit them. image/yahoo.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yahoo:' />

Now keep on keepin' on and you'll do it on a par 70, 71, or 72 !!! Name of the game is perseverance.

Congrats !!! image/good.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':good:' />

ANY SITE GUIDANCE I OFFER, UNLESS SPECIFIED OTHERWISE, IS REFERRING TO THE "DESKTOP/FULL" VERSION

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 716 AP-1, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64 DGS300

Taylormade Spidex-X Blue/single white line (Today - always subject to change)
    Titleist AVX
  • JohnnypensoJohnnypenso Ooooh, that's a duff. Posts: 192
    First time I shot in the 70's was at a course called Eddie Shack's, owned by the former hockey player, just north of Toronto. Off the top of my head I think it was a par 65 or so and quite short, probably around 4500 yards. I never really counted it as a round in the 70's as I soon set an artificial standard of a minimum of 6000 yards to qualify as a legit score in the 70's.
  • ahdongahdong Members Posts: 95 ✭✭
    Doesnt matter what par it is set out to be because every course is different so you are just playing the course. grats on breaking 80 image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
  • woohoo4mewoohoo4me Members Posts: 610
    I agree with others.....forget the par, celebrate your milestone! Cheers! image/clapping.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':clapping:' />
  • RobERobE Posts: 169
    You can start playing from the Ladies Tee Boxes on your home course, pretty much the same thing.
  • 0351Duffer0351Duffer Posts: 125 ✭✭
    Congrats!