Sand Hills Experiences

Comments

• StetsonStetson Members Posts: 2,451 ✭✭
    Chanceman wrote:

Schley wrote:

I wrote my letter this year and didn't get communicated back to, thus missed out. However, congrats to those that did and enjoy.

How long do they normally take to respond? Is no response the usual way they reject you? Or do they advise you if you missed out?

I have heard of people waiting 9 months for a response. They have a very small group of members and finding one to sponsor write-ins may take a while
    Driver: Ping G400 (Tour AD IZ)
    3w: Ping G400 SFT (Tour AD DI)
    3H: Ping G400 (Tour AD DI)
    3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Accra)
    4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
    Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Vokey Links K
    Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H
  • carreracarrera Members Posts: 2,559 ✭✭
    Have a great time (hard not to). You might be underwhelmed by the rooms and driving range...don't spend 5 seconds thinking about either (the range is just to hit a few warm up balls...you will play so much golf that the last thing you'll need is range time, and the lodging gets the job done but won't make you think you are at a Four Seasons...who cares?). Try to play a variety of tees (should be no problem, as you will play many holes during your stay). Have a bloody Mary before you tee off. Pack some beers so you stay hydrated. Don't be afraid to take an aggressive line off the tee on #1 (same for #16). Take a look at the view beyond the second green....it is awesome to look at the expanse. Be happy with a par on 13, and enjoy the sublime 14th. Be nice to everyone (duh). Avoid the Super 8 in North Platte (one of the worst places I've ever stayed). Even if you are usually a walker (like me), be prepared to take a cart most of the time. Try to drive 7 and 8 at least once. If you have time, try to check out the "old" tee on 17. Eat plenty of unhealthy burgers/steaks...you aren't there to skip the good stuff. Enjoy and take lots of pictures! Play until "closing time"...great late day memories. My son on 14th tee late in the day...you can just tell how relaxed the vibe is.

[media=]

Close to our last hole of the day.

[media=]
    Cobra F9 Tour Length - Hzrdus Smoke 70 stiff
    Cobra F9 14.5 - Atmos Blue Stiff
    Callaway Epic Hybrid - Recoil 780 stiff
    Cobra King 3/4 Utility - Recoil 780 Smacwrap F4
    Cobra King Forged TEC Black - Recoil 95 F4 5-PW
    Cobra King Black wedges 54/58 versatile grinds - Recoil 110 F4
    Odyssey 2Ball
    TM TP5X
  • Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough! Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers Posts: 1,179 ✭✭
    Stetson wrote:

Chanceman wrote:

Schley wrote:

I wrote my letter this year and didn't get communicated back to, thus missed out. However, congrats to those that did and enjoy.

How long do they normally take to respond? Is no response the usual way they reject you? Or do they advise you if you missed out?

I have heard of people waiting 9 months for a response. They have a very small group of members and finding one to sponsor write-ins may take a while

Great news! So your telling me there's a chance????? haha
  • FairwayFredFairwayFred Sponsors Posts: 4,038 ✭✭
    carrera wrote:

Have a great time (hard not to). You might be underwhelmed by the rooms and driving range...don't spend 5 seconds thinking about either (the range is just to hit a few warm up balls...you will play so much golf that the last thing you'll need is range time, and the lodging gets the job done but won't make you think you are at a Four Seasons...who cares?). Try to play a variety of tees (should be no problem, as you will play many holes during your stay). Have a bloody Mary before you tee off. Pack some beers so you stay hydrated. Don't be afraid to take an aggressive line off the tee on #1 (same for #16). Take a look at the view beyond the second green....it is awesome to look at the expanse. Be happy with a par on 13, and enjoy the sublime 14th. Be nice to everyone (duh). Avoid the Super 8 in North Platte (one of the worst places I've ever stayed). Even if you are usually a walker (like me), be prepared to take a cart most of the time. Try to drive 7 and 8 at least once. If you have time, try to check out the "old" tee on 17. Eat plenty of unhealthy burgers/steaks...you aren't there to skip the good stuff. Enjoy and take lots of pictures! Play until "closing time"...great late day memories. My son on 14th tee late in the day...you can just tell how relaxed the vibe is.

[media=]

Close to our last hole of the day.

[media=]

Interesting comment about walking. I've done a lot of walking out there and never had a problem. There's some elevation change but I find Sand Hills to be a great walking course.
    FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
    Ari Techner
    National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
    [email protected]
    IG: @nationalcustom
    Twitter: @WorksNational
    (still a huge club HO)
    Agree that it is very walkable, once you get a lift to the course that is.
    My cart comment was more from the standpoint of 1) getting the greatest number of holes in each day 2) the times I've been there, most other groups were in carts, so walkers might feel a bit of pressure with faster groups behind them 3) transporting beer/water 4) while not a difficult walk, I wouldn't consider it an "easy" walk. Especially for the number of holes you would expect to play.
    Odyssey 2Ball
    TM TP5X
  • HuskerFlyerHuskerFlyer Members Posts: 20 ✭✭
    It’s the greatest place for Golf. It cannot be described, it needs to be experienced. Common golf/ human etiquette rules apply. Play fast, treat people with respect, treat the property with respect.

It’s the greatest place for Golf. It cannot be described, it needs to be experienced. Common golf/ human etiquette rules apply. Play fast, treat people with respect, treat the property with respect.

Fact.
  • EastPhillyReppinEastPhillyReppin Members Posts: 249
    I have been very lucky to have played/worked at some of the top clubs in the world and I will have to say that Sand Hills is the best golf experience out there. From the time you arrive down the long driveway you are in awe!! The entire place is perfectly done from the cabins to the club house. Once you leave the club house you will be on your way to the best golf course I have ever played. I suggest walking your first round with caddies so you can get a feel for the whole place. It is a VERY easy walk and the caddies are great kids. Bens Porch is the best halfway house in golf and make sure you have a burger between rounds as you will not be disappointed. I hope the wind picks up for you for a few rounds out there so you get the total experience. I get more jealous when I hear people are playing Sand Hills than Augusta.​ Have a great trip!
  • AMM315AMM315 Members Posts: 223 ✭✭
    carrera wrote:

My cart comment was more from the standpoint of 1) getting the greatest number of holes in each day 2) the times I've been there, most other groups were in carts, so walkers might feel a bit of pressure with faster groups behind them 3) transporting beer/water 4) while not a difficult walk, I wouldn't consider it an "easy" walk. Especially for the number of holes you would expect to play.

Beautiful 993. Euro tags?
  • krzeczowskimattkrzeczowskimatt Members Posts: 107
    I can not wait to get out there! The group is officially all booked now we all just have to wait a month! Game is rounding into form here which is always a bonus!
  • PThomasPThomas ClubWRX Posts: 776 ClubWRX
    edited May 17, 2018 #43
    Bit of a random question and I assume yes but are yardage books available at SH?
    2017 M1 460 9.5 - Diamana BF 60X2017
    M2 Tour 15 - Diamana CK Blue 70X
    TM P790 UDI #2
    TM P760 - #4-9 DG TI S400
    Vokey SM6 46.08F, 50.08F, 54.10V, 58.11K DG TI S4100
    TM Spider Putter
    Yes they are
    Stetson wrote:
    Yes they are

Thank you sir
    TM P790 UDI #2
    TM Spider Putter
  • Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough! Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers Posts: 1,179 ✭✭
    FYI got a response last week, that we weren't selected to play this year due to not enough slots for non members. It was 2 1/2 months FYI from the time I sent the letter. Try again next year.
  • CDMCDM Members Posts: 1,762 ✭✭
    edited May 29, 2018 #48
    Did you whiff on the tee shot... ball is still on the tee. JK I mean given the view can total understand if you did =)
    I will recognize a photo of the 18th tee anytime I come across it for the rest of my life lol

• jwellefson1jwellefson1 Members Posts: 193 ✭✭
    Reading this thread makes me want to play this course so badly. I'd definitely sell a kidney for that chance to play such an incredible course!
    Haikus are funny
    But they don't always make sense
    Refrigerator
  • Vanderslam9Vanderslam9 Members Posts: 111
    Thanks everyone for sharing pictures! OP you are fortunate to have gotten on, hope someday I can make the trip!
    Ping G30 Driver
    Tour Edge Exotics 3W
    Tour Edge Exotics Driving Iron
    Bridgestone J15 4-PW
    Fourteen Wedge (52, 56, 60)
    Ping Ketsch
  • keeponlivinkeeponlivin Members Posts: 64 ✭✭
    CDM wrote:
    Did you whiff on the tee shot... ball is still on the tee. JK I mean given the view can total understand if you did =)

Buddies practice swing I caught em posing image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • krzeczowskimattkrzeczowskimatt Members Posts: 107
    Back from the trip..... All I can say is WOW! I am very busy at work this week, but I should have some pictures and a little write up about the whole experience up next week sometime. It was amazing!
  • jwellefson1jwellefson1 Members Posts: 193 ✭✭
    Looking forward to it OP!!
    Haikus are funny
    But they don't always make sense
    Refrigerator
  • QManyQMany #TheWRX ClubWRX Posts: 9,061 ClubWRX
    If any of you enjoy podcasts, I implore you to check out Episode #52 of the Fried Egg feat. Kyle Hegland (Sand Hills Superintendent). He talks candidly about the course, architecture, maintenance goals, maintenance challenges, Crenshaw & Coore, etc.
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Taylormade M3 460 (9.5°) Tensei CK Pro Orange70TX
    Taylormade SLDR Mini (14°) Matrix White Tie 70X
    Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
    Callaway Apex Pro (4i-PW) DG X100 TI
    Ping Glide 2.0 (50° & 54°) DG S400 TI
    Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
    Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

QMany's Swing/Sticks / Instagram
    Just back home after 72 holes over two days at SHGC. I re-read my post above and would only add one suggestion: at the end of the day, make a stop at Tire Iron Hill, the name given to a spot where I believe Coore and Crenshaw looked over the property with Dick Youngscap. Very cool view and we were able to take some great pictures of our group (two of my boys were with me). Here is a video I made from that spot:

One other video that shows the great conditions we experienced - mid-upper 80's, light breeze and of course just an amazing setting. Was fun watching my boys drive. With them in mind we played a lot of the diamond tees, which really make it a different course (especially on holes like 2, 4, 5 - the tee behind 4 green). Middle son drove it on 5 from the regular back tee...this is him on #11.

Odyssey 2Ball
    TM TP5X
  • Skaffa77Skaffa77 No place like the Sand Hills! ClubWRX Posts: 6,869 ClubWRX
    edited Jul 24, 2018 #57
    I had the opportunity to play SH with a buddy of mine thanks to a very special invite from a member who is also frequent contributor here on GolfWRX. All I can say is that the weekend was an experience I will never forget and I'm eternally grateful for the invite!

Was fortunate enough to get out there for 72 holes two weeks ago. The entire experience from start to finish was second to none and will be a lasting memory.

1.jpg 140.1K
    3.jpg 94.2K
    6.jpg 67.8K
    7.jpg 70.9K
    8.jpg 124.7K
    TM P790 UDI #2
    TM Spider Putter
  • payerasjlpayerasjl Members Posts: 744 ✭✭
    i hope one day im fortunate enough to play! would lovingly fly in from south america to do so!
    CLO-MIA-DCA-BOG
    Get scratch or die trying
  • PuttLeftHitRightPuttLeftHitRight Members Posts: 2,261 ✭✭
    Can someone explain this letter writing process? When do you send the letter? Can my pro get me on?
    edited Jul 31, 2018 #61

Can someone explain this letter writing process? When do you send the letter? Can my pro get me on?

It is exactly how it sounds. You hand write a letter asking to play and send t via snail mail.

You can try asking your pro to help out but it not likely to be sufficient. Unless you are a member at a big time place or in state it is unlikely
    Post edited by Unknown User on