LPGA Event

MoonlightgrmMoonlightgrm Members Posts: 866 ✭✭
I attended an LPGA event this weekend. It's been 21 years since I last watched the ladies play in-person. Just an equipment observation, there were a number of women playing graphite shafts in their irons. I'd always heard that graphite shafts have two inherent problems: Shots fly higher and may balloon, and touch around the greens is affected by using these shafts. Have graphite shafts improved to the level where touring professionals don't think twice about using them? Should amateurs with swing speeds closer to LPGA Professionals than PGA Professional's consider graphite shafts in their irons?

Do the benefits of graphite out weigh the negatives? Educate me, please.

Comments

• Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 21,017 ✭✭
    Lydia was #1 in the world for 104 weeks playing graphite shafts. Gotta be something to them.
  • mcs4mcs4 South FloridaMembers Posts: 650 ✭✭
    Considering that graphite irons shafts have been used by the likes of Fred Couples, Matt Kuchar, Brandt Snedeker, Rocco Mediate, etc. for years, you can safely assume that the work perfectly well for irons at the pro level
    Cobra King F7 (Kuro Kage Silver TiNi DC 60, stiff)
    Cobra AMP 4w (Comp CZ)
    Mizuno MP-H4 3 iron (Aldila Tour Green 85)
    Mizuno MP-H4 4 iron (Steelfiber 95)
    Mizuno MP-25 5-PW (Steelfiber 110)
    Ping i E1, 50 deg. (Recoil 110)
    Nike Engage 56 deg. (Recoil 95)
    Nike Engage 59 deg. (Recoil 95)
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,542 ClubWRX
    That guy Elderick has a graphite shaft in his 2 iron.