US Open music

wingedfoot97wingedfoot97 Members Posts: 868 ✭✭
edited Jun 14, 2018 in Tour Talk #1
The music they play on the intro and outro for this year’s Open, sucks. Why not have Hootie. Maybe some Mellencamp. ****, maybe some Dave or Widespread. That is all.
Titleist CB irons 3-PW
Vokey Wedges
Odyssey putter

Comments

• The GeneralThe General Members Posts: 1,735 ✭✭
    I haven't heard it yet, but your suggestions are like 3 bogeys and a double bogey.
  • puttfordouxputtfordoux Members Posts: 419 ✭✭
    Billy Joel's 'New York State of Wind' might fit well here.
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,694 ✭✭
    Just play Zeppelin all day
  • Frank-0-SportFrank-0-Sport Members Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited Jun 14, 2018 #5
    Back in the years when ABC was the US Open TV carrier, you heard great themes such as these ...

Keith Mansfield's "Panorama"

"Love's Theme" by Barry White and The Love Unlimited Orchestra

From the 1992 and 1993 telecasts -- A Waldo De Los Rios 1971 interpretation of "Ode To Joy"

There's one theme that I don't have a name or artist for -- ABC often played it over the closing credits (including Jim McKay's voice-over plug for United Airlines). If anyone happens know the name of that theme and who performed it -- please post here.
  • The GeneralThe General Members Posts: 1,735 ✭✭
    just play Master of Puppets or Hardwired over everything and all will be well.
  • Qqq123xxQqq123xx I wake up take a few steps and am in a haze the rest of the day. Members Posts: 6,253 ✭✭
    The Ramones.
    Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
    Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
    Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
    Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
    Nxt Tour.
    Cleveland Classic #4
  • jmcf1949jmcf1949 Members Posts: 73 ✭✭

Back in the years when ABC was the US Open TV carrier, you heard great themes such as these ...

From the 1992 and 1993 telecasts -- A Waldo De Los Rios 1971 interpretation of "Ode To Joy"

There's one theme that I don't have a name or artist for -- ABC often played it over the closing credits (including Jim McKay's voice-over plug for United Airlines). If anyone happens know the name of that theme and who performed it -- please post here.

Are you thinking of Native New Yorker by Odyssey? There is a long version that has an instrumental section in the beginning. It's on Youtube.

JIm
  • FrostfieldFrostfield Members Posts: 924 ✭✭

just play Master of Puppets or Hardwired over everything and all will be well.

You are my new favorite person here
  • ohioglfrohioglfr Municipal Junkie Dayton, OhioMembers Posts: 746 ✭✭

What a different era that was. I remember Love's Theme not only from televised tournaments, but the Muzak that emanated from the clubhouse. Three-wheeled riding carts with tiller steering, polyester slacks. Those slacks felt miserable on hot, muggy days.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S)
    Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R)
    Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R)
    Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R)
    Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R)
    Ping Darby Sigma G

• bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,694 ✭✭
    This is my favorite sports music

• Frank-0-SportFrank-0-Sport Members Posts: 237 ✭✭
    jmcf1949 wrote:

Are you thinking of Native New Yorker by Odyssey? There is a long version that has an instrumental section in the beginning. It's on Youtube.

JIm

That's close to what I remember! Thank You!
  • phen0men0nphen0men0n Members Posts: 88
    The music they play on the intro and outro for this year’s Open, sucks. Why not have Hootie. Maybe some Mellencamp. ****, maybe some Dave or Widespread. That is all.

I could give a snarky answer, but the real answer is licensing. Songs by those artists are just too expensive for them to license just as bumper music, so they pay for the cheap stuff, often times made by a single producer or songwriting group (try and remember the songs that the golf channel has used to advertise the PGA Tour tournaments this year, "this is how it goes, da da dada, da da dada," "I'm FIRE, whoaaaaaooooaaaaaoooooaaaahhhooooo whoaaaaaaaooooooouuuuaaaaaa," stuff like that.). My band just recorded a cover song for a movie studio because it's cheaper to pay us to cover the song than it is to license the original. That's one of the reasons why you hear so many cover versions of songs in commercials/TV/movies.

Sometimes a network like ESPN will license a song to be used many times (like St. Paul and The Broken Bones during the Masters this year, or DO YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU CAN WIN THIS FIGHT TONIGHT from a year or two ago during football season), but that's a different situation than what you're describing with the US Open intro music.
  • wingedfoot97wingedfoot97 Members Posts: 868 ✭✭
    If they pay money to market and hype this tournament (which they should) they should have legit music. Not music that makes me want to put on a Member’s Only jacket and light a candle.
    Titleist CB irons 3-PW
    Vokey Wedges
    Odyssey putter